Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** 2013 Biology HL Before/After **

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

That was awful paper :(

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sganyfx

Ohh I said take a nest, weigh it, let the birds add the cigarette filters then reweigh the nest.

I wrote, "count them" the only accurate way I guessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭RabbitHearted

woopah92 wrote: »
    Time on the x-axis and volume of froth produced on the y-axis.
    The boiled catalase line was just above the x axis and remained constant. The unboiled catalase line was rising and eventually levelled off.

this is exactly how i did my graph :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

sganyfx wrote: »
    Dog - It's metabolism as it is an endotherm
    Lizard - It's environment as it is an exotherm.

Was the question not just for dogs? I said respiration as their source of heat :( and for what name is given to dog I said endotherm and lizard as ectotherm.. Anyone know if that's right? .. I had at first mammals and reptiles

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭RabbitHearted

i said wait until the birds abandoned the nest and take it apart to weigh it :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Actually lads f*cking hell I did all three parts of the ecology question and the other two went loads better but good lord what was up with those cigarette filter questions? It really felt like my general knowledge was being tested as opposed to anything to do with Biology? Which probably isn't the case but really, it all felt very wishy-washy and silly.

Also ugh think I said endoderm and ectoderm for that short question, stupid germ layers.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

Short Q 4 was a bitch. Did any one get it?

How could you tell it was a modified stem a) externally and b) viewing it under a microscope?

Daughter cell haploid or diploid?

Evidence that sexual reproduction had taken place?

One method to produce new plants?

Anyone else love the random plant question in the cigarette filter question?

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

Was the question not just for dogs? I said respiration as their source of heat :( and for what name is given to dog I said endotherm and lizard as ectotherm.. Anyone know if that's right? .. I had at first mammals and reptiles

Respiration is a source of heat, I put that down 'cause I remembered a similar question that had been asked before and respiration was an answer ;) Other ones could have been like the liver, metabolism etc

I said count how many empty cigarette fillers are around the nest. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭weirdspider

Slow Show wrote: »
    Actually lads f*cking hell I did all three parts of the ecology question and the other two went loads better but good lord what was up with those cigarette filter questions? It really felt like my general knowledge was being tested as opposed to anything to do with Biology? Which probably isn't the case but really, it all felt very wishy-washy and silly.

Also ugh think I said endoderm and ectoderm for that short question, stupid germ layers.

Haha F it, me too. You do chemistry too, right? How about endo and exothermic reactions thrown in to confuse all these terms even more...

How could you tell it was a modified stem a) externally and b) viewing it under a microscope?

I went a bit mad for externally and was like 'presence lenticels (can you even see them), petioles, attached to leaves blah blah' under the microscope I said vascular bundles arranged in rings.
    Haplod. For the reason I just pretty much explained it was meiosis blah blah not sure how I worded it but think it was OK.

Presence of fruit I think?

Grafting/layering/cutting/micropropagation?

Anyone confirm/find fault with this?

Haha F it, me too. You do chemistry too, right? How about endo and exothermic reactions thrown in to confuse all these terms even more...

Ditto. Thought I was great remembering the difference between the 2 only to use them in the wrong bleedin' Q :(

Hahaha I guarantee you I'll end up drawing an energy profile for an ectothermic reaction on Tuesday. :L

I went a bit mad for externally and was like 'presence lenticels (can you even see them), petioles, attached to leaves blah blah' under the microscope I said vascular bundles arranged in rings.
    Haplod. For the reason I just pretty much explained it was meiosis blah blah not sure how I worded it but think it was OK.

Presence of fruit I think?

Grafting/layering/cutting/micropropagation?

Anyone confirm/find fault with this?
    1. I said the daughter plant is attached to the mother plant via a horizontal runner
    I said you can see the mother/daughter plants share the exact same DNA
    2.I said diploid as it didn't need to be haploid as no sex.reprod was taking place
    3.I said seeds
    4.Microprop

What is the chemical nature of hormones?

Hahaha I guarantee you I'll end up drawing an energy profile for an ectothermic reaction on Tuesday. :L

Or is it endodermic?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Lucan Bohs wrote: »

Protein?
    Did anyone else just about get it finished on time.. I did all section 1 and 2 but only 4 from section 2 ..

Proteins.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

Dog - It's metabolism as it is an endotherm
    Lizard - It's environment as it is an exotherm.

is it lizard exotherm? i thought it was ectotherm :L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

I believe they are proteins. But if they are steroid based, then they are lipids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Protein?
    Did anyone else just about get it finished on time.. I did all section 1 and 2 but only 4 from section 2 ..

I did every question on the paper :cool:

For the sexual reproduction does zygote formation occur in the Fallopian tube or?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Jordan537

a lizard is indeed ectotherm with a dog being endotherm

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

i said nitrogenous, not sure if correct!

is it lizard exotherm? i thought it was ectotherm :L

Exotherm or ectotherm is correct, same meaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭RML

I wrote pH 7
    I'm guessing that's wrong too!

For the sexual reproduction does zygote formation occur in the Fallopian tube or?

Yup!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭CatEyed92

I have studied hard this year and so far I have sat english, geography and biology.
    State exams are screwing people out of college places this year from the looks of things....
    There was never a year things were so experimental or badly phrased!!

/rant

SQ were very unfair tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭RML

In relation to an enzyme, explain the term optimum activity.
    What did you guys write for this?

Advertisement