Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** 2013 Biology HL Before/After **

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

It's 6 pairs.

2n = 6 means that when it's not dividing there are 3 pairs of 2 chromosomes. So when they separate out and each one replicates, you now have 6 pairs of 2 chromosomes. Right?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

Energy enters food chains in the form of light. In which form do you think most energy is lost from food chains?

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

What was with the structure of it though? Ecology as Q15? Really? Photosynthesis as an option in Q14?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭ahmdoda

Lucan Bohs wrote: »
    Energy enters food chains in the form of light. In which form do you think most energy is lost from food chains?
    yea this was a weird part i said chemical in the form of respiration

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Slow Show wrote: »
    My teacher told me once that both were acceptable and no one seems to be very sure here!

No trying to be a pain in the ass but I don't think that's true!

All in all, I was happy enough, thought the Reproductive question, The Virus one and the Photosynthesis question were lovely, may have fell back on the experiments but looking like an A2 so I'm happy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

ahmdoda wrote: »
    yea this was a weird part i said chemical in the form of respiration

I said respiration aswell :)

I can't remember what I put, but I do remember thinking "sexual reproduction definitely isn't what they're looking for...."

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

from being killed no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

__________X_________
    __________X_________
    __________x_________
    __________x_________
    __________X_________
    __________X_________

Is this what people had?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Actually, a question that puzzled me:
    In the reproduction question the first question was, what is it when womens hips widen etc
    And then the second question was what stage of life does this occur?

So for ii i said puberty, but for i, i wasn't sure so i said gender characteristics?
    anyone? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

I dont thimk the paper was that bad.. there was definitely repetition (how many times were we asked about a parasite!) but i think it was a nice paper for the people who had a genuine interest in biology :)
    Alot of questions were up to your own interpretation aswell :cool:
    It definitely did a poor job of testing your knowledge about the whole course like most of it was pointless to have studied! :confused:

Overall I thought it was nice enough but the layout was pretty strange! :(

peekachoo wrote: »
    In the reproduction question the first question was, what is it when womens hips widen etc

So for ii i said puberty, but for i, i wasn't sure so i said gender characteristics?

ii was puberty anyway and i had basically defined puberty for i

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

I said secondary characteristics.

i. Secondary sexual characteristics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

i think it might have been secondary traits :/

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ladymacbeth

Secondary Sexual characteristics

I dont thimk the paper was that bad.. there was definitely repetition (how many times were we asked about a parasite!) but i think it was a nice paper for the people who had a genuine interest in biology :)
    Alot of questions were up to your own interpretation aswell :cool:
    It definitely did a poor job of testing your knowledge about the whole course like most of it was pointless to have studied! :confused:

Overall I thought it was nice enough but the layout was pretty strange! :(

Maybe they're putting a theme through biology now, like they have in English. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 36 LukeF96

Do womens hips not widen when their pregnant?

What the f**k was that I just sat? Certainly wasn't what I've been studying my ass off for the last year.
    A complete lack of unit 3. Ecology popped up in all three sections. At least it'll be marked easily considering how horrible it was.

And we all learned one thing; Start smoking. Save birds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

woopah92 wrote: »
    i. Secondary sexual characteristics

Would you have to say sexual? I can't remember if I put that in. :/ I thought it was implied anyway.

• Advertisement

LukeF96 wrote: »
    Do womens hips not widen when their pregnant?

No you're thinking of the cervix, which widens (dilates) during labour.

The widening of the hips is during puberty

Would you have to say sexual? I can't remember if I put that in. :/ I thought it was implied anyway.

Just the way we were told to learn them tbh. Sure it would make a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ConorIsCool18

What the f**k was that I just sat? Certainly wasn't what I've been studying my ass off for the last year.
    A complete lack of unit 3. Ec

Exactly, what a crap paper I was going in there with hopes of a B3 and left with hopes of getting a D1, thats coming from a repeat student who got a D1 last year, studied my ass off and yet got ****ed over by a weird paper filled with bull****.

Seriously, No skin? no respiration? no digestive system? might as well have been a exam on parasites

so whats the general consensus? hard or handy enough? will it be marked hard?

no.. if you said secondary trait or characteristic you will get the marks its in revise wise :)

General consensus from my exam hall was that it was good enough. ( i.e. the 6 people I spoke to all said they did well :pac:)

Exactly, what a crap paper I was going in there with hopes of a B3 and left with hopes of getting a D1, thats coming from a repeat student who got a D1 last year, studied my ass off and yet got ****ed over my a weird paper filled with bull****.

Seriously, No skin? no respiration? no digestive system? might as well have been a exam on parasites

And ecology! All unit 1/2. Ridiculous. Was aiming on an A1. Was getting B1s all year and finally got an A2 in my mock.
    I'm a Repeat, so I honestly couldn't be more disappointed.
    THREE YEARA OF BIOLOGY. I bloody love this subject. All that study was POINTLESS, because of the questions some asshole decided to ask. Absolutely NO chance of getting my course now. Couldn't be more heartbroken.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Jordan537

might as well have been a exam on parasites

i think this sums it up quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

I said secondary characteristics.

Same. I wonder if secondary sexual characteristics is needed for full marks?!

• Advertisement

Same. I wonder if secondary sexual characteristics is needed for full marks?!

nope in revise wise it is just secondary trait or characteristic :)

Advertisement