Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** 2013 Biology HL Before/After **

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 aguywholikes

I also wrote Rooting powder and Roots?? Do they accept commercial growth promoters??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Thinking it over as regards Section 3, the two really nice regular questions were the endocrine system and the reproductive system and everything else was a bit crap. Well photosynthesis/respiration wasn't too bad in fairness either. Everything else was...yeah. Like there's a chance the immune system/bacteria one went well but I'm not really sure what they were looking for with the last bit.

Anyone else think the paper might have been a contingency paper? I read it here a while ago and the idea's growing on me, like we didn't have marks on the paper and the structure was all over the place and there's no doubt that there was repetition. It just seemed quite lazily done or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Hamza Malik

Lucan Bohs wrote: »
    Energy enters food chains in the form of light. In which form do you think most energy is lost from food chains?

Its lost as heat. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ladymacbeth

Its lost as heat. :)

I said movement. I was thinking of the similar question from Ag. Crap. Hopes its accepted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Ahhh feck this lads, this post mortem is crushing my soul. I've off to watch TV before study.

• Advertisement

I said it was transported in the xylem.

Not to worry people, but xylem only transports water...? I could be wrong. I think i said the Meristem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Not to worry people, but xylem only transports water...? I could be wrong. I think i said the Meristem

It transports minerals as well. It was a funny one alright, I didn't really know what to say for it. Meristem could be right.

I said movement. I was thinking of the similar question from Ag. Crap. Hopes its accepted

If your lucky, movement might be accepted. But then again it depends on how badly people answered it. If everyone is getting it wrong,they will accept other close enough answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Energy enters food chains in the form of light. In which form do you think most energy is lost from food chains?
    My book had it as heat when describing how only 10% of energy passes on from each trophic level.

Auxin is transported in the phloem, through the stem, to the root top.
    It's production site = apical meristems

• Advertisement

I just drew a graph with one at 20-30 degrees and a bar going to around 40cm^3 and one at 100 degrees that had no bar (no activity)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I said xylem but I think the right answer's phloem.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

(b) (i) Human males and females differ in one of their twenty three pairs of chromosomes. What name is given to this pair of chromosomes

Gametes isn't it?

If your lucky, movement might be accepted. But then again it depends on how badly people answered it. If everyone is getting it wrong,they will accept other close enough answers

That's a ridiculous way to mark papers don't you think? --- marking exams depending on how other students performed. When did it become a non-individual exam

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

Slow Show wrote: »
    Thinking it over as regards Section 3, the two really nice regular questions were the endocrine system and the reproductive system and everything else was a bit crap. Well photosynthesis/respiration wasn't too bad in fairness either. Everything else was...yeah. Like there's a chance the immune system/bacteria one went well but I'm not really sure what they were looking for with the last bit.

Anyone else think the paper might have been a contingency paper? I read it here a while ago and the idea's growing on me, like we didn't have marks on the paper and the structure was all over the place and there's no doubt that there was repetition. It just seemed quite lazily done or something.

like that was a back-up paper? that they didnt give the one they were going to give for some reason?

That's a ridiculous way to mark papers don't you think? --- marking exams depending on how other students performed. When did it become a non-individual exam

If everyone is getting it wrong it looks bad for whoever made them. Ik its stupid but my teacher told me that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Slow Show wrote: »

That's actually sounds right! Wonder why we weren't given the original! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

(b) (i) Human males and females differ in one of their twenty three pairs of chromosomes. What name is given to this pair of chromosomes

Gametes isn't it?

I said autosomes but just googled and that it wrong. Autosomes are all chromosomes that AREN'T sexual chromosomes. :rolleyes: The answer isn't gametes anyway either though. Allosomes is the official name on wikipedia but never came across that at any stage. I'm imagine sex chromosomes is what they wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 shanelad95

if you said sex chromosomes are the pair of chromosomes that were different in male and female would they accept it? or did you have to say gametes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

I just said the sex chromosomes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭RML

Jackobyte wrote: »
    I said autosomes but just googled and that it wrong. Autosomes are all chromosomes that AREN'T sexual chromosomes. :rolleyes: The answer isn't gametes anyway either though. Allosomes is the official name on wikipedia but never came across that at any stage. I'm imagine sex chromosomes is what they wanted.

But isn't sex chromosomes same as gametes??

RML wrote: »

They mentioned chromosomes in Q. So I imagine they want sex chromosomes. BUT THEY SHOULD GIVE MARKS FOR GAMETES

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

RML wrote: »

No. The sex chromosomes refers only to the 23rd chromosome which will determine the sex of the offspring. Gametes are the haploid cells i.e. the sperm/egg.

What was question 3 about.. dogs and lizards.. Anyone know the answer for the question 3 I can't remember the question but it was part iii and iv. Something about energy and the relationship between body and environment temp of dogs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭weirdspider

I would have thought the question implied sexual, I mean, what else would you be referring to? Secondary characteristics of the Mezzogiorno? :pac:

Hahaha!! Still specifics needed for the A1!

What was question 3 about.. dogs and lizards.. Anyone know the answer for the question 3 I can't remember the question but it was part iii and iv. Something about energy and the relationship between body and environment temp of dogs?

i said something along the line of as the temperature of the environment increases so does the body heat of the dog due to it being an endotherm

i said something along the line of as the temperature of the environment increases so does the body heat of the dog due to it being an endotherm

I remember the question. It was like.Suggest the value of the dogs body temp and environment temp. I said that they have to be kept similar as dogs are endotherms (warm blooded) It's a.confusing question and a frustrating paper. I'm still hopeful for an A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Was that dog question not homeostasis related? I said the internal environment of the dog doesn't change whereas the lizards does bc ectotherm/no homeostasis etc

I remember the question. It was like.Suggest the value of the dogs body temp and environment temp. I said that they have to be kept similar as dogs are endotherms (warm blooded) It's a.confusing question and a frustrating paper. I'm still hopeful for an A.

yea it was worded funny as were a few questions! i didnt give any values in my answer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 whateverusay

For heat denaturalise, I just did a bar chart with two bars, one showing the unboiled enzymes activity and the other shower the boiled enzymes (in)activity. Did anyone else do this??

Advertisement