Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** 2013 Biology HL Before/After **

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I think it's really reassuring reading this thread because this thread was a bit intimidating at the start with everyone ever being like 'Will probs get an A1'. The bell curve can be a wonderful and mysterious thing lads, for example look at last year's Section A, they seemed to go like 8 + 7 + 5(1) etc. so their questions must've been relatively tough too (it's impossible for me to judge if they were really, everything seems scarier/harder in that room :p). That'd be grand like as my short questions were definitely my weakest part of the paper. Those kind of marks would mean I'd get like 16 or 17, heck one might say 18, out of 20 for the absolute shambles I made out of that runner question, or the turgor pressure one (neglected to study that since roughly October of 5th year, heh). There's hope for us all yet!

I mean there was one infamous year in Accounting (2008 for my fellow accounters) that my teacher told us about once where the paper was just absolutely crazy and so many people thought they'd failed and I, in my curiosity, looked up the boards thread and loads of people who'd been distraught got their A1's and such. The power of the curve lawds.

I hope we're all pleasantly surprised, not coming back to this thread after this as I've wasted enough on my life on this paper.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 shanelad95

so.. anyone want to just have a crack at polish or something? id probably do better than that biology paper :D

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭FrankLamar

Stupid paper ONE organ system on it and they seemed to almost completely forget plants were on the course. Learned all that plant **** for almost nothing!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

conan955 wrote: »
    so.. anyone want to just have a crack at polish or something? id probably do better than that biology paper :D

I'd love to meet someone doing agricultural ecconomics, only 6 people (I think) did it last year. :D

Slow Show wrote: »
    I think it's really reassuring reading this thread because this thread was a bit intimidating at the start with everyone ever being like 'Will probs get an A1'. The bell curve can be a wonderful and mysterious thing lads, for example look at last year's Section A, they seemed to go like 8 + 7 + 5(1) etc. so their questions must've been relatively tough too (it's impossible for me to judge if they were really, everything seems scarier/harder in that room :p). That'd be grand like as my short questions were definitely my weakest part of the paper. Those kind of marks would mean I'd get like 16 or 17, heck one might say 18, out of 20 for the absolute shambles I made out of that runner question, or the turgor pressure one (neglected to study that since roughly October of 5th year, heh). There's hope for us all yet!

I mean there was one infamous year in Accounting (2008 for my fellow accounters) that my teacher told us about once where the paper was just absolutely crazy and so many people thought they'd failed and I, in my curiosity, looked up the boards thread and loads of people who'd been distraught got their A1's and such. The power of the curve lawds.

I hope we're all pleasantly surprised, not coming back to this thread after this as I've wasted enough on my life on this paper.:)

Well from this thread I can deduce no matter what the bell curve I'll still be devastated with my result. Boards=Soul Crushing :(
    Ah well theres always Off-topic :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 shanelad95

HugsiePie wrote: »
    I'd love to meet someone doing agricultural ecconomics, only 6 people (I think) did it last year. :D
    thats what we need haha i often wonder do people just do things like that or arabic for the craic? haha

• Registered Users Posts: 44 eoinoc2509

Im doing ag ec like 80 people are doing it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 LCchancer

from being killed no?

i said running around using their energy up hahaha

eoinoc2509 wrote: »
    Im doing ag ec like 80 people are doing it:)

Whoops, my bad, hmmmm what subject was I thinking of :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23 LC 2013 SURVIVOR

there was only 1 A1 last year in ag ec

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 eoinoc2509

there was only 1 A1 last year in ag ec

and only 1 person did ordinary level

• Registered Users Posts: 5 abrobin

I thought the paper went alright, not much plants on it though which I preferred tbh. And for a lad who skipped all of Genetics it had a nice outcome. Good enough paper, hope I get the C1-C2. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40 ReemAddict

The question was :

'Suggest a value to dogs of the relationship between their body temperature and environmental
    temperature.'

It had nothing to do with numerical values so you were right. This question was made to trick people and that's why the numbered the graph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I wish I sat the paper this year it looks like a really nice paper .

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭RabbitHearted

There's only 6 people doing swedish I think :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Do russian guys, 68% get A1s :)

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    I wish I sat the paper this year it looks like a really nice paper .

BLASPHEMOUS LIES :mad:
    Ah no I say it was grand for most

yournerd wrote: »
    Do russian guys, 68% get A1s :)

is that 68% Russian? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

LCchancer wrote: »
    i said running around using their energy up hahaha

Thats a reasonable answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭aoifemcg94

I've have been so upset. Biology is one of my strongest subject. I was hoping for an A1 in it or an A2 atleast, but after that exam I don't think so.
    Normally I fly through section A and B but not yesterday ! :(
    I am so disappointed. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 anniehilate

No kidneys, no heart, no lungs, no senses, no plant reproduction or transport, no digestive system, no skeleton, no nervous system, no lymphatic system but a whole question on bacteria ... well no one could have predicted that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Thataone

Right, thinking I may have done the enzyme graph wrong. Mine's possibly more along the lines of the effects of temp. experiment. However I do clearly state at which point the enzyme is denatured (boiled) and show a dramatic difference between enzyme activity at "normal" temp and the denatured one. I know it's prob not right but perhaps I might at least get a bit of a mark, depending on the marking scheme?

Oh well, won't know til August.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Hamza Malik

There's only 6 people doing swedish I think :p

There's only 8 people doing chemistry in my class, 7 HL and 1 OL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

There's only 8 people doing chemistry in my class, 7 HL and 1 OL :D

There's 6 people in my Chemistry class and 7 people in my French class. Beat ya ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Thataone

woopah92 wrote: »
    There's 6 people in my Chemistry class and 7 people in my French class. Beat ya ;)

There's 5 people in total in our year's accounting class.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

Thataone wrote: »

Mine was it total too, but I guess 5 people wins. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Thataone wrote: »

there's 2 in my schools accounting class :)

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Hamza Malik

peekachoo wrote: »
    there's 2 in my schools accounting class :)

Lol our school has no accounting class :) We have an accounting/business teacher but everyone is afraid of her

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Monty4life

Jesus the paper wasn't that hard! There was a full question on hormones which was piss easy, human reproduction was nothing out of the ordinary and a full question in bacteria which was expected to come up??? The ecology question in section c, you could have got almost full marks from just reading a passage!! The marking scheme will be open to interpretation to some of the questions such as that last question on bacteria in hospitals... If you done your work throughout the year you can't complain... Obviously people who crammed didn't do well and are giving out coz biology is the biggest syllabus on the leaving cert, yop A1 thank you state examination ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭meleanor

Horrible biology paper. Did three mocks during the year and got straight A1s. I worked so hard, but the real paper was a nightmare. :(

Advertisement