Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** 2013 Biology HL Before/After **

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

Awkward paper to say the least..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

5 and 2 of us in my exam classroom :) im the first girl loool

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Hamza Malik

yournerd wrote: »
    5 and 2 of us in my exam classroom :) im the first girl loool

I'll be the only one in my exam classroom for chemistry. That will be awkward :c

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭niamhhealy86

i said wait until the birds abandoned the nest and take it apart to weigh it :P

I said the exact same! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

My school has -4 people doing hebrew studies. theyre all ordibary level too. beat that B-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭yoppo

Do you know this question: "Using the chromosomes referred to in part (b) (ii), show, using a Punnett square or
    otherwise, that a child stands an equal chance of being male or female. "

Did you have to draw a chromosome cross out or just use XX and XY and cross those?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

yoppo wrote: »
    Do you know this question: "Using the chromosomes referred to in part (b) (ii), show, using a Punnett square or
    otherwise, that a child stands an equal chance of being male or female. "

Did you have to draw a chromosome cross out or just use XX and XY and cross those?

I think you could have done it any way. I just crossed the XX and XY

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

i done a square thing with an x and y on each axis so thai t came out as 2 xy's and 2 xx's

ray2012 wrote: »
    I think you could have done it any way. I just crossed the XX and XY

Thanks a mill. That's what I done too. It was the simplest cross I have ever done. I was surprised the genetics question wasn't harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭niamhhealy86

First they made a serious error in a question on Maths and now rumours of this being a backup. Sec have really messed up this year

Its 2013!! the unluckiest year of them all! :P what did we expect? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Hamza Malik

Its 2013!! the unluckiest year of them all! :P what did we expect? :P

Haha bad year to repeat for me :( I need over 500 points!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Do russian guys, 68% get A1s :)
    Would rather not. Prefer the russian girls tbh. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4 barrhe

Do russian guys, 68% get A1s :)

That's because the majority of people who do it are Russian, same with Polish, Bulgarian, Czech etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 shanelad95

Monty4life wrote: »
    Jesus the paper wasn't that hard! There was a full question on hormones which was piss easy, human reproduction was nothing out of the ordinary and a full question in bacteria which was expected to come up??? The ecology question in section c, you could have got almost full marks from just reading a passage!! The marking scheme will be open to interpretation to some of the questions such as that last question on bacteria in hospitals... If you done your work throughout the year you can't complain... Obviously people who crammed didn't do well and are giving out coz biology is the biggest syllabus on the leaving cert, yop A1 thank you state examination ;)
    i want to see how you do in august, youre gonna look like an absolute gob****e if you dont get an a..

im just after remembering for the hormone question i couldnt think of any other than sexual ones, so for advantages/disadvantages for adrenaline i wrote it can give you energy and make you happy and for disadavantage i wrote too much can make you too energised and find it hard to sleep :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭meleanor

im just after remembering for the hormone question i couldnt think of any other than sexual ones, so for advantages/disadvantages for adrenaline i wrote it can give you energy and make you happy and for disadavantage i wrote too much can make you too energised and find it hard to sleep :pac:

Had adrenaline and couldn't do the second part with it, had to change to thyroxine! :pac:

meleanor wrote: »
    Had adrenaline and couldn't do the second part with it, had to change to thyroxine! :pac:

i cant think of any advantes/disadvantages of that now so i think think that would have been any better then :P

i cant think of any advantes/disadvantages of that now so i think think that would have been any better then :P

XS: Grave's disease/weight loss
    Deficiency: Cretinism/weight gain

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

Advantages and disadvantages? That wasn't even asked.

XS: Grave's disease/weight loss
    Deficiency: Cretinism/weight gain

pity didnt have this convo pre tuesday :L

• Advertisement

woopah92 wrote: »

it was i think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

It was symptoms of over and under production of the hormone.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

That ain't advantages and disadvantages to me anyway.

think my exceptional of the cuff answer might get some attempt marks? :pac:

That ain't advantages and disadvantages to me anyway.

sorry i couldnt think of how it was phrased exactly, its kind of the same thing though?

Would cretinism alone be ok for deficiency and bulging eyes for excess? Couldnt think of graves disease!

yoppo wrote: »
    Would cretinism alone be ok for deficiency and bulging eyes for excess? Couldnt think of graves disease!

In the exam I said weight loss for XS and weight gain for deficiency.
    Bulgeing eyes is a symptom of Grave's so you're grand!

In the exam I said weight loss for XS and weight gain for deficiency.
    Bulgeing eyes is a symptom of Grave's so you're grand!

Thanks! I done my LC in 2003 when is was much harder so this one was nice enough! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I said movement. I was thinking of the similar question from Ag. Crap. Hopes its accepted

The correct answer is heat as every organism uses the chemical energy they obtain (food) to carry out respiration.
    Respiration is only about 40% efficient, the rest is lost as heat and is stored in the bonds of H2O and CO2.

I've been teaching Biology for over 7 years now and that was definitely a strange paper.

The very fact that Ecology didn't come up as Q.10 was extremely strange.
    Ecology is a banker topic and it proved that way again yesterday with a short question (20 marks) and experiment question (30 marks) and a part of a long question (30 marks).
    There's really no excuse for not knowing your Ecology.
    It made up 80/400 marks or 20% of the paper if you wanted it to.

Many students can complain that there wasn't much human biology BUT, there was an entire question on human reproduction and another one on hormones.

I liked the photosynthesis question, but the topics of respiration and photosynthesis are STILL being asked at a very basic level, even on the higher level paper so students are still getting away lightly IMO

The OL paper was ridiculously hard, a lot of students who dropped down on the day were in for a shock.

• Advertisement

The correct answer is heat as every organism uses the chemical energy they obtain (food) to carry out respiration.
    Respiration is only about 40% efficient, the rest is lost as heat and is stored in the bonds of H2O and CO2.

I've been teaching Biology for over 7 years now and that was definitely a strange paper.

The very fact that Ecology didn't come up as Q.10 was extremely strange.
    Ecology is a banker topic and it proved that way again yesterday with a short question (20 marks) and experiment question (30 marks) and a part of a long question (30 marks).
    There's really no excuse for not knowing your Ecology.
    It made up 80/400 marks or 20% of the paper if you wanted it to.

Many students can complain that there wasn't much human biology BUT, there was an entire question on human reproduction and another one on hormones.

I liked the photosynthesis question, but the topics of respiration and photosynthesis are STILL being asked at a very basic level, even on the higher level paper so students are still getting away lightly IMO

The OL paper was ridiculously hard, a lot of students who dropped down on the day were in for a shock.

Could you have said excretion instead of heat?

Advertisement