Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** 2013 Biology HL Before/After **

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

I was counting on biology for an A1 but I don't think I'll get it now. I got 84% in the mocks which was totally unexpected! Thought I got a C because I had literally done no study and had to guess a good few questions! The marking scheme is so weird though having to have the exact wording to get the marks. Sometimes you only need 1 or 2 words but other times you need more :/
    I really hope it's not too hard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Really want (need) and A, I just hope it's a nice paper. One thing I'm curious about is how they adjust the marking scheme to fit the bell curve. How would they do that? The answer's either right or wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

My best chance at getting an A1. Hopefully I can repeat my mock result, and at least this time I've studied more than the night before :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

Well to be honest, you're just not working so! It doesn't require much understanding at all, certainly not to pass! Sure if you learned your definitions you would pass!! Just go study it right now! (and sorry, i'm not being mean it's just I hate to see someone fail such a doable subject......... :D

I'll never ever understand how anyone can call it a doable subject! :pac: But to be fair we have an awful teacher! I've studied so much for this subject the last few weeks and neglected the rest of them due to it and if I don't get at least a D1, I seriously worry for my brain! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Its crazy how so many people in this thread are aiming for an A , i mean they don't give out that many A's....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

Really want (need) and A, I just hope it's a nice paper. One thing I'm curious about is how they adjust the marking scheme to fit the bell curve. How would they do that? The answer's either right or wrong.

yes! You see if the paper is hard, they will give loads of marks for something easy..., If it is easy, they'll give little marks to the easy stuff and loads for the hard stuff! Either way, if you know the answers, you know the answers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭andrew369

aimzLc2 wrote: »
    Its crazy how so many people in this thread are aiming for an A , i mean they don't give out that many A's....

In fairness I think a lot of people who use Boards for the leaving cert discussions are pretty serious about it and want very high point courses. Need As to get what they want. Coming on here sometimes makes me feel like an ungodly waster since I am only after relatively average points for Philosophy. :P

Jade. wrote: »
    I'll never ever understand how anyone can call it a doable subject! :pac: But to be fair we have an awful teacher! I've studied so much for this subject the last few weeks and neglected the rest of them due to it and if I don't get at least a D1, I seriously worry for my brain! :P

It's doable because you can just learn definitions and pass! Provided you reasonably attempt everything too! It's one of the most doable imo.
    Good luck! you'll be fine!

andrew369 wrote: »
    In fairness I think a lot of people who use Boards for the leaving cert discussions are pretty serious about it and want very high point courses. Need As to get what they want. Coming on here sometimes makes me feel like an ungodly waster since I am only after relatively average points for Philosophy. :P

I agree with you but i think thats sad because there are probably average students who are afraid to comment here for that reason if they feel inadequate so the threads aren't really showing varied opinions just top A1 students.. oh well :)

It's doable because you can just learn definitions and pass! Provided you reasonably attempt everything too! It's one of the most doable imo.
    Good luck! you'll be fine!

I know hopefully! Just scraped a 40% in the pre but determined to bring it up a good few grades! Thank you! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

There's high achievers in every class, no matter what grade anyone is aiming for, if it's good enough for them, who cares?

I may be aiming for an A in biology but I'm hoping for a D3 in maths, and if i get it I'll be celebrating more than any A1 maths student. :)

I know hopefully! Just scraped a 40% in the pre but determined to bring it up a good few grades! Thank you! :D

If that's the case then you'll do great! Remember know all your experiments and all your defintions, all genetics, photo and respiration and ecology! then you are bound to do so so well! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭NellyDean

well don't give up! fight for every last mark!!!!
    I've put so much into it and more to come this weekend . Hope it pays off for everyone who genuinely has worked hard :D

Irish on the same day though, cruel enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

any decent websites for biology notes?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Peaceoutdude

Any one have any perdictions?! :( failed my mock.. HL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Any one have any perdictions?! :( failed my mock.. HL

It's one of the most unpredictable papers. But your guaranteed a question on ecology. Learn all your experiments perfectly for 60 marks. Human reproduction always comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭shawnanana

What experiments do people think will come up?

Does anyone answer a good few long questions or just stick to what you are supposed to answer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭Sporty_Kate

All of the experiements?! Really?!

Only so much cramming time available!

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭David086

Well to be honest, you're just not working so! It doesn't require much understanding at all, certainly not to pass! Sure if you learned your definitions you would pass!! Just go study it right now! (and sorry, i'm not being mean it's just I hate to see someone fail such a doable subject......... :D

Bit patronising? ALOT of people find biology difficult, such a long course and people find it difficult to get a grasp on, me included!

• Advertisement

NellyDean wrote: »
    haha the amount of people looking for the A1.. :P

The curve will never allow me to get it now..

According to Chief Examiner in 2009, 20k students take Biology and 16.5% got As. I think all of us here are sorted to be honest :p

Everyone on here though is only a small majority of those sitting the leaving cert. I don't see why anyone who wants an A wont get one if you have worked for it! :P

Everyone on here though is only a small majority of those sitting the leaving cert. I don't see why anyone who wants an A wont get one if you have worked for it! :P

That's what I meant :) Doubt all of us getting an A1 would throw the bell curve off :P

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Bonbon1995

guys...whats a bell curve?? hahaha

That's what I meant :) Doubt all of us getting an A1 would throw the bell curve off :P

Sorry if i came across that i said all of you wouldn't get an A , i worded it really wrong , i am not undermining anyone's ability I'm sure you all put so much work i just wish there were a few students on these forums who are not A1 students it seems everyone getting those A's are here

Sorry if i came across that i said all of you wouldn't get an A , i worded it really wrong , i am not undermining anyone's ability I'm sure you all put so much work i just wish there were a few students on these forums who are not A1 students it seems everyone getting those A's are here

I don't see the problem in that! I love being surrounded by people passionate about their subjects and aiming for high grades!

I don't see the problem in that! I love being surrounded by people passionate about their subjects and aiming for high grades!

Yea i understand your point , it is nice to be surrounded by positivity but you are one of those who wants the A :P I work really hard but i'm just your typical average B student lol

Yea i understand your point , it is nice to be surrounded by positivity but you are one of those who wants the A :P I work really hard but i'm just your typical average B student lol

I think we all want the A tbh :P And there's nothing wrong with being 'average'
    I consistently get Bs in English but I excel in Maths, Biology and Chemistry. :)

I think we all want the A tbh :P And there's nothing wrong with being 'average'
    I consistently get Bs in English but I excel in Maths, Biology and Chemistry. :)

Yea thats true everyone has their own strengths, just the majority on this board have few weaknesses hahaha

• Advertisement

Yea thats true everyone has their own strengths, just the majority on this board have few weaknesses hahaha

We'll all be celebrating 625 points in August! I'm dreading the wait to be honest :(

Advertisement