Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** 2013 Biology HL Before/After **

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

LCchancer wrote: »
    bad idea not to study eye/ear/skeleton?

Very bad idea. The eye/ear and skeleton are probably due to come up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭meleanor

Ill prob do every question, always seems to work the best :)

meleanor wrote: »
    Ill prob do every question, always seems to work the best :)

same provided i have done the others to an exceptionally high standard. :)

same provided i have done the others to an exceptionally high standard. :)

There's just so much time! I sometimes mess up genetic crosses, but provided I do almost every question, it'd fine. Last three mocks I've done for my teacher I've pulled A1s, so I'd be delighted to get it in the real thing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

I'm planning on answering as many as I can! I'll the only one left in the room :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

Jade. wrote: »
    I'm planning on answering as many as I can! I'll the only one left in the room :pac:

i personally feel theres time to do every question without rushing and still have time left!

You think people will leave early?
    The only one i'm leaving early for is irish where there is too much time and it makes you feel bad... :/

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭NellyDean

The only one i'm leaving early for is irish where there is too much time and it makes you feel bad... :/
    I was finished the mock about an hour early after having done all bar 1 q (we hadn't covered genetics at that stage) and re-read the paper about 3 times and a toilet break haha . If it's like that again may as well leave, study for something else!

NellyDean wrote: »
    I was finished the mock about an hour early after having done all bar 1 q (we hadn't covered genetics at that stage) and re-read the paper about 3 times and a toilet break haha . If it's like that again may as well leave, study for something else!

I suppose that's true! I'd really need to be sure I have it all correct though!!! :D Imagine as soon as you walk out the doras, You remember that you did something wrong!! :P

There was only two of us left by the end of English and maths! So with biology I say the room will be empty much earlier :P

• Advertisement

Jade. wrote: »
    There was only two of us left by the end of English and maths! So with biology I say the room will be empty much earlier :P

Jaysus, no one leaves in my hall haha! :P

I suppose that's true! I'd really need to be sure I have it all correct though!!! :D Imagine as soon as you walk out the doras, You remember that you did something wrong!! :P
    aw jesus that'd be a sickener.. gonna be extra careful cos im prone to leave out some of the ii iv iii parts in long qs cos theyre so crammed together!

crazy that business and bio have the same amount of time allocated :O

• Registered Users Posts: 14 HankScorpio_

I haven't really been proper studying for biology, just doing exam papers and stuff.. but every exam paper i've done i've gotten at least a B3 in, is this anything to go by for the real thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

One thing to remember about biology is that the chief examiner has been different for the past 2 years to the one in years prior to that, and there is a definite change in the papers since then. You're rewarded for a broad knowledge of the entire course, rather than an in-depth knowledge of certain sections. Obviously you need to know things in-depth as well, but there are definitely more questions that would incorporate 2 or 3 chapters as opposed to those that would just ask specifically on one.
    Really want (need) and A, I just hope it's a nice paper. One thing I'm curious about is how they adjust the marking scheme to fit the bell curve. How would they do that? The answer's either right or wrong.

As someone else said, they adjust the weighting of the marks in the section. I can't remember the marking scheme any more but say there was a question for 20 marks with 4 parts originally worth 5 marks each. If a lot of students found one of the parts difficult, they might change it so that the 4 parts were worth 5, 5, 3 and 7, for example :) This happened with the paper last year, I checked mine and it had been marked twice, with some significant changes in the marking for the short questions!

The Irish is ridiculous. Paper one should include the comprehensions, coz there is zilcho time in paper 2.

Jaysus, no one leaves in my hall haha! :P

People do be out as fast as they came in in my room! :pac:

aw jesus that'd be a sickener.. gonna be extra careful cos im prone to leave out some of the ii iv iii parts in long qs cos theyre so crammed together!

crazy that business and bio have the same amount of time allocated :O

whats worse is that geography has 10 minutes less!

whats worse is that geography has 10 minutes less!
    I changed from geo to business thankfully doesn't affect me :P seems a bit ridiculous though, for an essay based paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭AndreaEgan

I am amazed at how most of you guys find Biology so easy! Maybe my dislike for the subject doesn't help :P What I my best way to really learn this before Tuesday evening? Exam papers?

I changed from geo to business thankfully doesn't affect me :P seems a bit ridiculous though, for an essay based paper?

yeah geography is basically like an english paper 3 with all the writing!

• Advertisement

AndreaEgan wrote: »
    I am amazed at how most of you guys find Biology so easy! Maybe my dislike for the subject doesn't help :P What I my best way to really learn this before Tuesday evening? Exam papers?

Yeah exam papers and flash card the stuff you don't know! :D

AndreaEgan wrote: »

http://leavingcerthangovers.tumblr.com/
    This tumblr account does amazing mind maps. I downloaded them onto my iPhone and they're handy for revision the odd time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Dropping No Eaves

Lads, I'm sure we can all agree that history is tighter for time than any other subject?

This tumblr account does amazing mind maps. I downloaded them onto my iPhone and they're handy for revision the odd time :)

Wow! Thank you so much! Lifesaver :P

Crap I just remembered that I don't understand protein synthesis :( (how) does this come up?

Crap I just remembered that I don't understand protein synthesis :( (how) does this come up?

I don't think if has come up in a while, worth a look over! Know the definitions for translation and transcription. If you find a question on it in the exam papers, go into the online marking scheme for that year and just look at what the examiner was looking for. The key words are always the same. Just make sure you know the key words for answering it and the steps :)

I am flying through those! :D Please tell me that information is sufficient enough? That takes a weight off my shoulders :)

It's enough to secure a grand grade! :) go more in depth for that A!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Anyone have a definition for transcription and translation that will definitely get full marks? The ones in my book aren't enough to get the marks apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

biology. pfffffffft.

Advertisement