Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** 2013 Biology HL Before/After **

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭ChromosomeT

transcription - sequence of bases in DNA are copied to make mRNA
    translation - making a protein using the mRNA code

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭HungryEmperor

Any simple way to remember Mendels two laws?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭meleanor

Slow Show wrote: »
    Anyone have a definition for transcription and translation that will definitely get full marks? The ones in my book aren't enough to get the marks apparently.

Transcription is the copying of a sequence of genetic bases from DNA onto mRNA.
    Translation is the conversion of a sequence of genetic bases on mRNA into a sequence of amino acids. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ladymacbeth

Which experiments are due and/or likely ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Colinoneill

yournerd wrote: »
    biology. pfffffffft.

what??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Colinoneill

Any simple way to remember Mendels two laws?

If you actually just think about whats happening at gamete formation:

The two alleles (the two "factors" of the same gene) separate. this is segregation. think of segregation of races in america back in the day or something.

In a dihybrid cross, those different alleles are independant of eachother, meaning if the pea plant is tall that donsn't mean its going to be yellow. This in independent assortment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

I haven't been showing biology much love at all this year. I'm just hoping that when I look over everything tomorrow that it all comes rushing back to me or I'm screwed. :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 130 ✭✭tommybc

Does anyone have the questions for the biology sample edco papers 1-5?i searched online and only found the answers but none of the questions for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

I seriously have a mountain of work to do for biology if I'm to get any sort of respectable grade :/ It's such a broad course though, but is there anything I can afford to leave out at this late stage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

I seriously have a mountain of work to do for biology if I'm to get any sort of respectable grade :/ It's such a broad course though, but is there anything I can afford to leave out at this late stage?

start with ecology,photosynthesis, respiration, genetics, human nutrition , cell diversity , human reproduction , plant chapters and experiments then do whatever else you can with the time left

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

aimzLc2 wrote: »
    start with ecology,photosynthesis, respiration, genetics, human nutrition , cell diversity , human reproduction , plant chapters and experiments then do whatever else you can with the time left

I'd say there could be something on the heart/blood too. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 JustForClarity

I can't wait for Biology. It's the only exam that I feel confident about. I went through the whole book a few weeks ago and revised most chapters, so I'll glance through it again tomorrow to refresh myself and learn off some final topics. Hopefully this will be one of my better exams, before the travesty that will be French on Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

I can't wait for Biology. It's the only exam that I feel confident about. I went through the whole book a few weeks ago and revised most chapters, so I'll glance through it again tomorrow to refresh myself and learn off some final topics. Hopefully this will be one of my better exams, before the travesty that will be French on Wednesday.

How can you do that :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Okay lads, what are the predictions here apart from the obvious ones (plant reproduction; ecology; evolution; photosynthesis and respiration)?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 TentacleCubes

Biology is one of those subjects I was ~naturally~ pretty good at, so I completely neglected it up until the night before the exam :P
    Here's to covering half the course tonight and relying on my memory to support me (Oh, God)

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

Biology is one of those subjects I was ~naturally~ pretty good at, so I completely neglected it up until the night before the exam :P
    Here's to covering half the course tonight and relying on my memory to support me (Oh, God)

a lot of people are in the same boat!

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭RML

Safe to say that I wont be sleeping tonight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

I can't concentrate because I'm so tired! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxXIVitjdg0
    He was pretty accurate with his home ec so lets hope hes right again!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 mocker2012

I got an A1 in bio last year 98% when i checked, short-mid term memory is key IMO. Although I studied it hard throughout the year, the intense speed revision the night before and just before the exam consolidated the minute details into my brain!! For example I went through the nervous system among others in 15 mins the morning of the exam, a full question came up on it and short term memory worked like a boss!! The paper tomorrow will undoubtedly contain a lot of ''easy'' questions but it's the small things that can separate an A1 from an A2. For subjects like bio, cramming is very effective provided it's revision and not new material you're covering. Final tip, time should not be an issue, do every single question and don't leave early!! Best of luck with it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 eoghaanM

Lads give me the proper bones I need to get me my C1 havent glanced at biology in weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

eoghaanM wrote: »
    Lads give me the proper bones I need to get me my C1 havent glanced at biology in weeks

Well lets see pretty much the main parts like ecology , photosyhthesis, dna and rna , human and plant reproduction ,experiments etc your best bet is to practice as many exam questions as possible using the marking scheme as guideance and hope your short memory hold till 2 tomorrow. I'm mean biology is a subject if you don't not the definitions you won't get the marks! And I've only being tipping along at it all year it's kinda one of those things where you won't know what you'll know till you turn over that paper as there is such a variety of topics that can come up, I'd be delighted with a B but I'll be content with a C1 or C2....

Good luck , get an hour revision done anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Jordan537

think im going to get an early night and start this early in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭MissD93

i'm gonna learn the essentials unfolded book, will this be enough to cover me for an b1/a2 ??:o :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

MissD93 wrote: »
    i'm gonna learn the essentials unfolded book, will this be enough to cover me for an b1/a2

meh.. just do papers and learn the answers. can't beat this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Dropping No Eaves

I despise whoever decided to put Irish P2 and Biology on the same day, especially upon receiving this advice about cramming.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭shawnanana

Anyone any guesses on experiments? I don't know any in detail so just gonna chance my arm learning 4/5 tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

Gonna have to get up at 6 in the morning to learn for this! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

if the leaving cert is a memory test then biology is the ultimate one! such a broad course but a good glance over everything in the morning will make a big difference!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭AndreaEgan

I think the more I try to study for this the more I'm losing, panic is setting in!

Advertisement