Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** 2013 Biology HL Before/After **

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

Thank god that was easy. I need them 100 points :D

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

Can't complain. Ecology questions were grand. Quick question though if I answered all 3 experiment questions
    will they mark me out of my best two
    ?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭FrankLamar

Not the easiest paper at all.. not happy :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

I found it tough enough but then again a lot of the stuff I knew in great detail didn't come up and the stuff I knew in slightly lesser detail all did. Hopefully managed an A though, I was wise enough to look over the endocrine system just before I went in. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 16 TentacleCubes

Was number was the endocrine question? I have a habit of coming out of exams and forgetting just about everything that was on the paper :V
    I think that went... surprisingly well *skeptical face*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Captain Hman

I'm just greatful there was no nerve or motor neuron thingy majig to answer on

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭RML

What was the answer for the chance of getting an infection in a hospital???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Dropping No Eaves

Didn'y see the endocrine question SOMEHOW which I knew pretty in depth, so I spent the last few minutes trying desperately to complete it but there was only five minutes left so I just abandoned it half way through. That meant I had no time to look over my paper.

So yeah, I've no idea how I did. I daresay my A1 isn't as likely as I hoped.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭MissD93

that was so nice in comparison to what i thought was going to be up, only 24 marks for plant biology, I know i might have only got b3/c1 but I could not be happier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

That wasn't the easiest but it was manageable. Some people in my school were very disappointed with it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

Which question was the endocrine system? :confused:

Jade. wrote: »
    Which question was the endocrine system? :confused:

The hormones and glands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Don't think I got the A, found the short questions very difficult and lost a lot of marks on that section.

Does anyone know what the 5 carbon sugar in the nucleotide was called??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

answered everything and knew most apart from a few awkward q's here and there, hopefully an a :pac:

was hoping for something on human nutrition though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

RML wrote: »
    The hormones and glands

Oh I forgot about even doing that question.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 darthchris

Does anyone know what the 5 carbon sugar in the nucleotide was called??

Deoxyribose i think

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Laura229

Did anyone think the question about the dog required a numerical value read from the graph:L?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭mayoman1995

awful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭SecondMan

What was the answer for the chance of getting an infection in a hospital???

An excessive amount of antibiotic resistant bacteria can develop from overuse or misuse of antibiotics. When the antibiotics get rid of the pathogenic bacteria, the antibiotic resistant bacteria begin to thrive as there is no longer any competition. This causes the MRSA bug to develop. As antibiotics are used generally hundreds of times a day in a hospital, then this is more likely to happen here. MRSA is highly contagious, hence, more likely to be infected in a hospital.

• Advertisement

darthchris wrote: »
    Deoxyribose i think

i wrote oxyribose :(

The dog value question was a bit ambiguous. I just wrote the temp for the dog which 37/38 and for the environment, 17/20..

• Registered Users Posts: 5 darthchris

Does anyone here know which experiments these were? #curious

Effect of CO2 concentration/light intensity on photosynthesis

Effect of heat denaturation on enzyme action

And ecology experment which had like abiotic factor, and about habitat study and that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭matTNT

matTNT wrote: »
    I want an A quite badly. Let's see how this pans out.

lol. That was rotten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

I found the short questions fairly horrible to be honest. Experiments were ideal. Some of the long questions were tricky, especially the genetics one I thought. Hope I got a B3..

• Registered Users Posts: 46 lizardspock

There were a few dodge parts to that paper, didnt think it was as straight forward as it has been some years, but overall it was good. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sganyfx

ray2012 wrote: »
    I found the short questions fairly horrible to be honest. Experiments were ideal. Some of the long questions were tricky, especially the genetics one I thought. Hope I got a B3..

What on the genetics did you find tricky? I cannot remember any of the questions :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

What were those short questions though? I found them very tricky. The experiments were quite nice, and I found the long questions fairly manageable too, except for the ecology question which I found a bit wishy washy! Overall I hope I got my A1!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 JustForClarity

The question about the dog "value" thing was very poorly worded and ambiguous. I took forever trying to figure out whether they meant value as in a number or "of value" as in an advantage. I ended up saying it was of value because they can regulate temperature in adverse conditions but I probably read into the question too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 alan56

'What term is used for the type of asexually reproduction that produced the daughter plant' what is the answer?? Vegetative propagation, stem or mitosis?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

The question about the dog "value" thing was very poorly worded and ambiguous. I took forever trying to figure out whether they meant value as in a number or "of value" as in an advantage. I ended up saying it was of value because they can regulate temperature in adverse conditions but I probably read into the question too much.

That's what's I said aswell. I didn't even think about giving a numerical answer!

Advertisement