Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** 2013 Biology HL Before/After **

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭RML

alan56 wrote: »
    'What term is used for the type of asexually reproduction that produced the daughter plant' what is the answer?? Vegetative propagation, stem or mitosis?

Vegetative Propagation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I thought that paper was tough enough tbh. Manageable, I'm still quite hopeful of an A1, but Biology is definitely getting tougher. I thought the shorts were harder than usual, spent a good while on them, when I usually fly through them in a few minutes! Experiments were fine really, did all three, I thought the long questions were OK, but they required a broad knowledge of the course. Also very little plants, it was only plant responses for 24 marks if I remember correctly? I thought it was grand to find four answerable long questions though, I did all six anyway - really disappointed at the lack of cross (bar that pitiful excuse for one :p) though!

Hate realising silly mistakes you made afterwards, said ribose instead of deoxyribose for that sugar. :p And many others I'm sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Jordan537

The question about the dog "value" thing was very poorly worded and ambiguous. I took forever trying to figure out whether they meant value as in a number or "of value" as in an advantage. I ended up saying it was of value because they can regulate temperature in adverse conditions but I probably read into the question too much.

i too put this. i thought it was worded badly though.

My A1 just jumped out of the window. Hoping for a B2 now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

Draw a graph for heat denaturation of an enzyme, there is no graph?!

• Advertisement

Glee_GG wrote: »

I just drew a graph similar to the pH and the rate of reaction, the temperature on the x-axis and volume of froth on the y-axis.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 LEAVINGMAD

Exactly, Thank god i'm not the only one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Thataone

I thought it was ok, but some of the wording was exceptionally poor and made deciphering the questions an art in it's self.
    All I need is a C for my course but would like to think I got at least a decent B, all going to plan ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭SecondMan

What question was oxyribose/deoxyribose asked? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Parawhore.xD

I drew a graph comparing the amount of froth produced by the denatured enzyme and the control for mine. Strange twist for the question alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

It was definitely tougher than some of the last few years. Those short questions were tricky enough, still not sure how I feel about them, I got through them alright but at the same time I'm a bit iffy on them. The long questions were fairly varied as well, a bit of everything really and there were a few bits that caught me out. I did every question and still managed to have about 45/50 minutes left over though so I'm still holding out hope for the A1, I'm sure at least 4 of those longs had to be answered well enough to get me over the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

Barely any Ecology, No Genetic crosses, No protein synthesis, no nutrition, no plants(except for that growth ****)..

If I was told I could study one chapter before the test after seeing it, I actually wouldnt know what to study.

What the **** was that.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

RML wrote: »
    I just drew a graph similar to the pH and the rate of reaction, the temperature on the x-axis and volume of froth on the y-axis.

but there is no volume of froth produced because the enzymes denatured?! :/

Oh my god that threw me off so much, I was wondering if I made a mistake and was meant to do the temperature activity? ended up drawing it though with the boiled enzyme pretty much on the x-axis and the unboiled enzyme as normal (I included both the experiment and control, not sure if we were meant to).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

I took the question as effects of temperature. So I described the experiment where you use varying temperatures rather than just unboiled and boiled. I figured that's why they asked for a graph.

**** it, I rubbed out the other way as well. What a ****in stupid question. No chance of an A now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭ahmdoda

nor the denatured graph i drew a straight line coming from the y axis and said their is no enzyme activity but it was some paper this year! i did all the exam papers and never did i see short questions like this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

Just realised I answered that enzyme experiment question as the effect of temp. on catalase not heat denaturation :L I'm hoping I'll only lose a mark or two for not mentioning boiling the catalase. I think it was practically the same though apart from that, if not they'll have to count my ecology experiment which I made up as I went along.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭200c200c

Such an awful paper.....
    Opened it and immediately the short questions put me in a bad mood :( What the hell was that stupid dog/lizard thing about ??
    No proper genetics at all just a stupid part on sex-linkage :(
    Experiments were the only half decent thing on it ...
    None of the core stuff came up like the heart, the muscles, the senses, breathing, excretion
    Overall such a bitty paper with all the stupid hormones and enzymes topics...
    Compared to other years it was all over the place !
    I managed to give every question a stab but could only really do bits of most questions :/
    The only thing I didnt even attempt was the nitrogen cycle :L I just wrote in my answer book "Q.15 (b)-Not doing thaaat " :L
    Ughhh really put me in a bad mood !!

I took the question as effects of temperature. So I described the experiment where you use varying temperatures rather than just unboiled and boiled. I figured that's why they asked for a graph.

**** it, I rubbed out the other way as well. What a ****in stupid question.

I done the same as you. I drew a graph of temperature vs enzyme activity. I showed it's optimum temperature of being around 30-40 degrees and the graph declining from 40 to whenever

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

short question were tricky enough, the experiments were pretty grand and the long questions meh, the ecology was grand along with the female reproduction but the others i found hard. this was my only realistic subject i thought i might get an A in but now id be very happy with a B3!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 Lollipops13

for the question on heat denaturation what did people do for the graph???!! There is no foam for the boiled enzyme so ...? I did the control on the graph and just marked the experiment at 0. Is that ok do people think?
    Also for the diagram of mitosis what is the answer for picking something and giving the function etc.? I gave the spindle fibres but gave their use for the next stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

SecondMan wrote: »
    I done the same as you. I drew a graph of temperature vs enzyme activity. I showed it's optimum temperature of being around 30-40 degrees and the graph declining from 40 to whenever

thats exactly what i did!

Would anyone mind running through the part c of genetics briefly? What's the function of spindle fibres? Think I got it right but not sure. Also y'know for the nucleus at metaphase, how many double-stranded chromosomes should there have been, six or three? I vaguely remember my teacher saying both were acceptable but not sure, I did six first then crossed it out and did three (not sure how cancellation works in Section C, I know for one they accept it and don't give marks for cancellation) :L

Seriously SO annoyed there was no cross, it made genetics so much more annoying for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

for the question on heat denaturation what did people do for the graph???!! There is no foam for the boiled enzyme so ...? I did the control on the graph and just marked the experiment at 0. Is that ok do people think?
    Also for the diagram of mitosis what is the answer for picking something and giving the function etc.? I gave the spindle fibres but gave their use for the next stage.

I did a comparison by plotting a curve for the unboiled enzyme and just a straight line at 0cm3 for the boiled enzyme. For the unboiled, I did the normal curve with optimum temperature at 20-30 or whatever. It was a really odd q though...

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭RabbitHearted

do you think i'd get the marks for the heat denaturation if i put a line across the y axis as the boiled experiment but showed the contrast with the control, as in the activity of unboiled catalase, which i'd mentioned in the process?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

That short question on the dog and the lizard was horrible. Couldn't understand most of it and didn't know what it was on about! It was presented extremely poorly.

but there is no volume of froth produced because the enzymes denatured?! :/

OMG thanks for telling me. I didnt even realise that.
    There goes the B2 now :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Dropping No Eaves

I just did the total height of the mixture, and had a straight line from about halfway up the graph, then had the unboiled line start from halfway up the graph but at a slant to indicate the rise in height due to the froth.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sganyfx

Okay for the denaturation enzyme I actually had my school phone the exam board mid exam after I complained about it, they said there should have been no issue with the question but if something arises from it, it will be addressed in the marking scheme.

• Advertisement

sganyfx wrote: »
    Okay for the denaturation enzyme I actually had my school phone the exam board mid exam after I complained about it, they said there should have been no issue with the question but if something arises from it, it will be addressed in the marking scheme.

Mid exam? How?

Advertisement