Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxendales UK / Ireland

• 07-06-2013 9:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭

was looking to purchase a dress which was not on the Irish website but listed on the UK one at STG33.00. Tried to place order and was referred back to Irish site where the same item cost E59.50PLUS 4.95 p+p :eek:

Got it sent to a mate in the UK who will post it.....total charge? E38.00 plus STG2.00 for post.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You could have used parcel motel, probably cheaper than your mates postage will be, and you are not putting them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

nah you had to use a UK address - you could only register with a valid UK postcode.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Parcel Motel provide you with a UK address.

ok good to know for future reference - thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

You usually need a UK reg credit card for these things. If theres any decent way around this let us know though.

I whole heartedly agree op that its a disgrace that they're charging so much extra to Irish customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

You usually need a UK reg credit card for these things. If theres any decent way around this let us know though.

I whole heartedly agree op that its a disgrace that they're charging so much extra to Irish customers.

and Continental European Customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭davidod1

The replacement for the Laser Card is a Visa Debit Card. The number on that does not tie it to Ireland. I was able to use this in a situation where my Mastercard was picked up as being Irish and was rejected. The Visa Debit Card was accepted - together with the Parcel Motel Address.

davidod1 wrote: »
    The replacement for the Laser Card is a Visa Debit Card. The number on that does not tie it to Ireland. I was able to use this in a situation where my Mastercard was picked up as being Irish and was rejected. The Visa Debit Card was accepted - together with the Parcel Motel Address.

that's exactly what I did - Visa Debit was accepted but Mastercard needed your billing address.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 roozer

Why is it a disgrace?
    If they could charge an extra €50 without dropping profits they would do that too and why wouldn't they?
    You realise business' are in business to make as much profit as they can?
    Obviously if they charge the same price in the UK there profits would fall so they have to have a lower price point there.
    Its not a disgrace, its business!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

roozer wrote: »
    Why is it a disgrace?
    If they could charge an extra €50 without dropping profits they would do that too and why wouldn't they?
    You realise business' are in business to make as much profit as they can?
    Obviously if they charge the same price in the UK there profits would fall so they have to have a lower price point there.
    Its not a disgrace, its business!

It's business kept alive by the opinion you seem to have.... So you have no issue with companies using the historical set exchange rate of 66p to the Euro (or worse)? You do realise that the exchange rate has not dropped below ~78p/€1 since Oct. 2008? The rate has been around 80~85p/€1 for a long time now. I'm prepared to pay a rate of down to 72p/€1 but any more lower than that is taking the *&$%. Wages, transport costs and additional expenses cannot justify an exchange rate lower. May as well look for alternative means of getting the product.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 roozer

MBSnr wrote: »
    It's business kept alive by the opinion you seem to have.... So you have no issue with companies using the historical set exchange rate of 66p to the Euro (or worse)? You do realise that the exchange rate has not dropped below ~78p/€1 since Oct. 2008? The rate has been around 80~85p/€1 for a long time now. I'm prepared to pay a rate of down to 72p/€1 but any more lower than that is taking the *&$%. Wages, transport costs and additional expenses cannot justify an exchange rate lower. May as well look for alternative means of getting the product.

you completely missed my point.
    Its absolutely nothing to do with exchange rates.
    Many companies charge more in Ireland than in the UK for the same product. Why? Because they can. And why not?

Think of it this way.
    You are in charge of pricing products for company X.
    If you price it at €10 in the UK you maximise your profits to 10k/annum.
    Any higher and you lose sales and decrease profits. Any lower and you get more sales but don't reach the same profit.

Now in Ireland, you find that the price point is €15 to maximise profits.
    Same as before any higher and you lose sales and decrease profits. Any lower and you get more sales but don't reach the same profit.

Of course they will set it at a higher price point here, it would be crazy not to, and why wouldn't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

roozer wrote: »
    you completely missed my point.
    Its absolutely nothing to do with exchange rates.
    Many companies charge more in Ireland than in the UK for the same product. Why? Because they can. And why not?

Think of it this way.
    You are in charge of pricing products for company X.
    If you price it at €10 in the UK you maximise your profits to 10k/annum.
    Any higher and you lose sales and decrease profits. Any lower and you get more sales but don't reach the same profit.

Now in Ireland, you find that the price point is €15 to maximise profits.
    Same as before any higher and you lose sales and decrease profits. Any lower and you get more sales but don't reach the same profit.

Of course they will set it at a higher price point here, it would be crazy not to, and why wouldn't they?

Ok I agree with that somewhat. But exchange rates are also a factor. Let's take dealer car parts as an example - I bet you'll find most parts (esp those sitting on the shelf for a long time) are priced exactly using 66p/1€ - I've seen it many a time). Argos uses around 72-75p/€1, M&S are a little better. If each item is individually maximised for profit verses sales, why are the exchange rates failing into these exact bands nearly every time?

Secondly I understand that the whole sellers set the price. To do this they 'hedge bet' on the Euro/GBP rate. As in they provide enough leeway to accommodate rate fluctuations without having to reprice all items they sell to the stores. Rem when the Euro/GBP became 92p/€1 and everyone went up North? Suddenly Tesco and Dunnes managed to negotiate a better pricing structure with their 'wholesellers'. Now was that price change due to a decline in sales (profit) or a change in the set exchange rate for certain goods? I'd say it was a bit of both.

Advertisement