Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Florida: Disney or Universal Studios ??

Options
  • 07-06-2013 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭

Going for 8 days next month with my girlfriend(both in our lates 20's). Looking at getting 14 days pass which covers entry to most of the water and theme parks.

Looking for advice asto which parks to choose. Have heard that Disney caters more for children and that Universal more targeted at younger adults. There is option of getting tickets for both parks but proving nearly €500 and dont think we will have enough time to visit all parks.

Help and advice greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭InishGael

Disney aimed at kids - great to see all same. Myself & wife went while in our twenties and spent one day in Disney which was enough for us as rides etc are for younger kids however park is well worth seeing & fireworks display at night is fantastic.
    Universal on other hand is excellent if you're into rollercoasters etc - def worth it but again couple days plenty. Been Florida now twice and have to say Busch gardens best of all parks in my opinion, has best roller coasters by far and all built within a safari park which is great also. Well worth the hour bus journey there.
    All depends what youre after - if its rollercoasters, Disney bottom of list of parks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

mjp wrote: »
    Going for 8 days next month with my girlfriend(both in our lates 20's). Looking at getting 14 days pass which covers entry to most of the water and theme parks.

Looking for advice asto which parks to choose. Have heard that Disney caters more for children and that Universal more targeted at younger adults. There is option of getting tickets for both parks but proving nearly €500 and dont think we will have enough time to visit all parks.

Help and advice greatly appreciated

Disney is mainly aimed at under 12's or should I say the wallets of the parents of under 12's :) having said that, we enjoy the Disney parks, atmosphere etc, if you like the bigger rides, then Universal / Islands of adventure is for you, at Disney I'd suggest you visit Epcot & Hollywood studios and maybe pop into Magic Kingdom

Attractionticketdirect.ie (office in Dublin also) or undercovertourist would be my first stops for looking at tickets & pricing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

in terms of where i would rank the parks from most catering to adults on down

busch gardens tampa
    islands of adventure
    disneys hollywood studios
    epcot
    seaworld (tends to be more focused on families)
    universal studios
    animal kingdom
    magic kingdom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

Bit surprised at all the comments saying Disney is best for under 12. I go to Florida most summers and find Disney far better than universal. I'm 20 and went with four mates. Spent 4 days in Disney and all had a blast. Went to universal and was good fun but not as good as Disney. Busch is very good for rides but no theme really which takes away from the experience in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    Bit surprised at all the comments saying Disney is best for under 12. I go to Florida most summers and find Disney far better than universal. I'm 20 and went with four mates. Spent 4 days in Disney and all had a blast. Went to universal and was good fun but not as good as Disney. Busch is very good for rides but no theme really which takes away from the experience in my opinion.

It's apples & oranges really, we have an 8yr old so Disney is cool and it's fun for all the family, what Disney do as regards theme, they do very well & well worth a visit at any age. We also have a teenage coaster freak so Uni/IOA/Busch are great, he doesn't give a monkeys about theme

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

It's apples & oranges really, we have an 8yr old so Disney is cool and it's fun for all the family, what Disney do as regards theme, they do very well & well worth a visit at any age. We also have a teenage coaster freak so Uni/IOA/Busch are great, he doesn't give a monkeys about theme

Suppose so. Busch is very good for coasters. Universals Hulk is very good and duelling dragons. The Dr Doom's drop is one of the worst rides ever so disappointing! Really like the all you can eat for the day for $20 or so. Think we spent more time in restaurants then on the rides!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

If you have 8 days, i'd buy the Flexticket and get unlimited access to both Universal parks, Wet N Wild, Sea World and Sea World's water park. Something for everyone there. Disney's about $80 for a day pass so unless you really really wanted to go there, I'd stick with the parks covered under the flexticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Aprilmay

If you have 8 days, i'd buy the Flexticket and get unlimited access to both Universal parks, Wet N Wild, Sea World and Sea World's water park. Something for everyone there. Disney's about $80 for a day pass so unless you really really wanted to go there, I'd stick with the parks covered under the flexticket.
    This!! And you get Aquatica for that ticket also. We went to Florida every year before we moved to the USA and by the time our youngest got to 8 we were told "Disney is for little kids". They are 12 and 15 we still do the Universal ticket, Aquatica is our favorite park

• Registered Users Posts: 42 mc8755

IOA is the best theme park in Orlando in my opinion, the Hogwarts castle ride sealed that for me! It has a better range of thrill rides compared to any one Disney park, like Dueling Dragons and Hulk along with having great theme rides like Hogwarts, Spiderman, Jurassic Park, etc. Universal Studios isn't as good but has some fun rides like The Mummy, The Simpsons and the Rip Rocket coaster that lets you listen you choose to music on it and had a pretty amazing drop at the start.

At the same time I wouldn't knock Disney at all - Hollywood Studios has my favourite coaster in Orlando, the Aerosmith one (0-60mph in 3 seconds), and the Twilight Zone drop-tower isn't bad. Disney is definitely better at the theme aspect, but it's fairly expensive so if you're doing park-hoppers make the most of it and get into a park early and plan your day out. If you really can only visit one or the other, it comes down to more thrill rides and less theme aspects vs. fewer (per Disney park) thrill rides and brilliant theme aspects.

Busch is out in Tampa, it is more like Alton Towers or Six Flags, all coasters (and amazing ones at that) and no theme, but it's still an amazing park. You won't regret going to the park you wind up going to, whichever one it is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I found busch gardens was the best theme park by far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭L.S.F

Heading myself for two weeks in two weeks! Was just wondering from peoples experiences if its better to buy the tickets before we go or wait till we get there.
    €250 for Uni/IOA/Seaworld/Busch Gardens/Aquatica for 14 day Unlimited

L.S.F wrote: »
    Heading myself for two weeks in two weeks! Was just wondering from peoples experiences if its better to buy the tickets before we go or wait till we get there.
    €250 for Uni/IOA/Seaworld/Busch Gardens/Aquatica for 14 day Unlimited

Definitely get the Flexticket anyway. I bought mine before heading over but that was mainly for convenience. I don't know if it works out cheaper over there.

We only went to Disney for a day and again bought the ticket online before going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Heading to Orlando for 3 days myself and trying to decide on parks. After research I think I might go for sea world, aquatica and island of adventure. Is a full day enough for each?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Heading to Orlando for 3 days myself and trying to decide on parks. After research I think I might go for sea world, aquatica and island of adventure. Is a full day enough for each?

a full day for each of the main parks is perfect, haven't been to aquatica but those waterparks are usually alot smaller so half a day is probably enough for that..expect extremely long lines on very hot days

get to seaworld early, you need to build your day around the showtimes and each show is very good http://seaworldparks.com/en/seaworld-orlando/Park-Info/Park-Hours

Each to their own I suppose but if I only had 3 days, I'd give SeaWorld a miss and go to Universal. Unless you have kids of course. They'd probably love all the shows etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Anyone stayed in any of the parks hotels?
    Was there about 7yrs ago and rented out a house for 2 wks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

rory...just back from Orlando...for 3 of the days we stayed onsite in Universals Royal Pacific Hotel, right beside Islands of Adventure. The benefits of staying onsite for us was well worth the extra cost...unlimited express ride and early entry are two of the best, plus being right beside the park its great to come back to the hotel for a break and a freshen up and then heading back down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Spook_ie wrote: »
    rory...just back from Orlando...for 3 of the days we stayed onsite in Universals Royal Pacific Hotel, right beside Islands of Adventure. The benefits of staying onsite for us was well worth the extra cost...unlimited express ride and early entry are two of the best, plus being right beside the park its great to come back to the hotel for a break and a freshen up and then heading back down

Much appreciated thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭skeg16

I'm going the first two weeks in September and I can't wait....I shopped around an got a good offer of circa €340 for 6 parks (Universal Studios, WnW, IOA, Seaworld, Busch G & Aquatica) and Discovery Cove (i've never been but looks amazing and hopefully well worth the money).

Does any one know what the best way to get around to the parks is?? The last time I was there my girlfriends father rented a car which was so handy but this time its just me and her, car hire is too expensive for two weeks but I'm worried we are going to spend a fortune on taxi's & buses :(

Also anyone know a good place for going out at night for a few drinks, all I can remember is a nice sports bar (Millers Ale I think) and CityWalk but I was hoping for one night of more liveliness :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 32 cool4cats17

skeg16 wrote: »
    I'm going the first two weeks in September and I can't wait....I shopped around an got a good offer of circa €340 for 6 parks (Universal Studios, WnW, IOA, Seaworld, Busch G & Aquatica) and Discovery Cove (i've never been but looks amazing and hopefully well worth the money).

Does any one know what the best way to get around to the parks is?? The last time I was there my girlfriends father rented a car which was so handy but this time its just me and her, car hire is too expensive for two weeks but I'm worried we are going to spend a fortune on taxi's & buses :(

Also anyone know a good place for going out at night for a few drinks, all I can remember is a nice sports bar (Millers Ale I think) and CityWalk but I was hoping for one night of more liveliness :)

Just back from Florida in June, stayed in the middle of International drive stop number 24 across the road from Miller's Ale House (Great Place) I would recommend Bahama Breeze just 2 mins down the road from there at stop 23 for some great food and cocktails.

Best way to get about I thought was by the I-Ride, we got a 5 day pass for $7 dollars, brinugs you to most of the parks and all the way up and down the international drive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭blackbeard

I am going to Orlando in a few weeks and still haven't booked any where to stay. At the moment I am between Lake Buena Vista Resort or the Polynesian Isles both about the same price.

Any recommend any other nice and secure places to stay??

Thanks.

Spent 10 days in Florida a couple of weeks ago.

It was my second time there, before I went I said I wouldn't be going to disney as it's overpriced and overhyped. I got a 14 flex ticket which had unlimited entry to Universal Studios, Universal Islands of Adventure, Wet n wild, busch gardens, aquatica, and seaworld. It was E230 with touramerica.

In the end I ended up doing one day in disneys magic kingdom - what a waste of time and money! It cost $100 for one park. It took about 40 minutes to get from the car to the park. The queues were absolutely mental. The only decent ride (for adults) is Space Mountain. Queue for 2.5 hours or fastpass with a return time 4.5 hours later. It's JAMMED. I was sorry I went.

Universal is fantastic, I would go there again and again. Islands of adventure is the better park IMO, but the studios have some great stuff like the Mummy Returns, and Transformers (unbelievable!!).

Busch Gardens was a great day out, the Sheikra (sp?) rollercoaster was the only one on the holiday to make me catch my breath for sheer "wow". They also have a 100 year old wooden coaster which is just brilliant!

Seaworld is definitely worth a visit if you have time.

Waterparks aren't really my thing but wet n wild was grand for a couple of hours one morning as our hotel was very close to it.

TL;DR
    Forget Disney, stick with Universal.

blackbeard wrote: »
    I am going to Orlando in a few weeks and still haven't booked any where to stay. At the moment I am between Lake Buena Vista Resort or the Polynesian Isles both about the same price.

Any recommend any other nice and secure places to stay??

Thanks.

The Waldorf....like a boss :D

In the end I ended up doing one day in disneys magic kingdom - what a waste of time and money! It cost $100 for one park. It took about 40 minutes to get from the car to the park. The queues were absolutely mental. The only decent ride (for adults) is Space Mountain. Queue for 2.5 hours or fastpass with a return time 4.5 hours later. It's JAMMED. I was sorry I went.

Yes I agree, Its a great place to visit and a wonderful park but unless you are a kid or have money to burn there is no need for Disney.

I'm dreading the queues, what were they like in Universal/Water Parks?? I'm hoping they will die down around September. What time of day did you go to the parks, early morning or late after noon??

skeg16 wrote: »
    I'm dreading the queues, what were they like in Universal/Water Parks?? I'm hoping they will die down around September. What time of day did you go to the parks, early morning or late after noon??

The queues in the other parks were doable. It was quite busy but spread out. I could be wrong, but it feels like there's a lot more to do in Universal so the crowds are more evenly dispersed. Also the fact that the rides aren't for small kids means less big families taking up space :D

Evenings and early mornings are best time wise and the parks open late.

On our final day I had to go and pick up some wands in Harry Potter world to bring home!!! I parked up at 8.45, was in the park when it opened to non hotel guests. It was heaven. Zero queues on anything - with the exception of Harry Potter - everyone descended on there first!! Thankfully I had already been so it was fine but you were talking 2 hours for the main HP ride.

The last time I was there was a few years ago and I went at the end of September - much nicer time. Kids are at school etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ciaeim

hello all , i am thinking of going to disney orlando for approx 10 ish days possibly in november, i am a widow with 2 daughters aged 15 and 16, they regard it as their dream holiday and i would love to take them, i would like some info on the following from some of ye more experienced holiday makers( have not been away ever as a family), i could go to travel agents but rightly or wrongly would feel like i was going to be ripped off,
    (a)when to go
    (b)where to stay,, would like to stay on resort site for a few nights at least.
    (c)what type of ticket to get to visit various parks
    (d) I suppose basically what i would like to do is pay out one lump sum and have everything organised before we go , that is to have flights, accomodation, tictets to various parks(which ones?) and anthing else covered before going , anyway hope some people may be able to help , thanks

ps, really praying that when i log back on all the hard work will be done for me and all i would have to do is press a few buttons and hey presto we would be booked, no harm in dreaming i suppose :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

ciaeim wrote: »
    hello all , i am thinking of going to disney orlando for approx 10 ish days possibly in november, i am a widow with 2 daughters aged 15 and 16, they regard it as their dream holiday and i would love to take them, i would like some info on the following from some of ye more experienced holiday makers( have not been away ever as a family), i could go to travel agents but rightly or wrongly would feel like i was going to be ripped off,
    (a)when to go
    (b)where to stay,, would like to stay on resort site for a few nights at least.
    (c)what type of ticket to get to visit various parks
    (d) I suppose basically what i would like to do is pay out one lump sum and have everything organised before we go , that is to have flights, accomodation, tictets to various parks(which ones?) and anthing else covered before going , anyway hope some people may be able to help , thanks

First things first....you'll have to have a budget in mind ! Orlando can be a seriously expensive place. Then you'll have to decide whether you want to stay onsite at Disney/Universal. In relation to 'perks', staying onsite in Universal is well worth it ie unlimited express pass that comes with your room plus early entry to the parks, one hour before 'normal' opening.
    IMHO staying onsite in Disney really is only good for the transportation links between the Disney parks, having said that have stayed in the Port Orleans, Contemporary & Polynesian hotel.

You also could look at the option of staying in places like Sheraton Vistana Villages etc that have full kitchens/laundry facilities and then do a night or two in Universal/Disney. Also will you be hiring a car ?

The likes of Tour America etc can do good deals, but you'll also need to decide on whether you want to go on a direct flight (we always do) or go for the cheaper option of an indirect flight.....again its back to your budget

Discovery Cove is also a lovely place to visit.......!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 newb12

Hi.. going here in a few weeks and have my tickets for the universal/busch/water parks, was just wondering if anyone has been there recently and would have a price for the disney parks? if so, how much is a 1 Disney day hopper ticket and how much is a 2 day hopper ticket.

thanks! :D

newb12 wrote: »
    Hi.. going here in a few weeks and have my tickets for the universal/busch/water parks, was just wondering if anyone has been there recently and would have a price for the disney parks? if so, how much is a 1 Disney day hopper ticket and how much is a 2 day hopper ticket.

thanks! :D

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/tickets/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 newb12

I am aware of the Disney site. I asked if anyone was there recently and knows the price overthere. The prices are different at the gate.

Advertisement