Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Induction if given choice?

• 07-06-2013 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hi Everyone,

I have a question that I would love some opinions on. Because I lost my first baby at 25 weeks, I have been told that they 'won't let me go over my due date by much' (which is fast approaching). If given the choice would you wait and try go naturally or accept induction. I'm very very uncomfortable now and ready for baby to come but also like things to be as natural as possible. Can you please share your experiences/ opinions on inductions. Thanks so much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭paperclipgrad

Haven't had any personal experiences with this, but a couple of points to consider:

-It's usually best for baby to be born as close to due date as possible.
    -Induction is generally considered more painful than a natural labour.

If I were you, I'd wait as long as I could until the doctor said that babs must be induced. It sounds as if you're in good hands so I would leave it as late as I could.

I don't think any of us are comfortable at the moment! It's only a few more weeks though...out of the rest of our lives, in the big picture it's such a short period of time.

Just my 2c- obviously I wouldn't judge if you decided to go for an elective induction!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I would choose to go naturally, as the chance of needing an emergency section is a little higher if induction doesn't work. I'm in a position where I won't be induced, if I haven't had the baby by 41 weeks I'll be having an elective section. I know women who've refused inductions (despite a lot of pressure being put on them to have it done) and went naturally with no issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Try and weigh up the differences and the risks, etc.

My daughter was born breech by section, but a few weeks beforehand they had asked us about trying to turn the baby manually. We went off and researched it from the point of view of "what is best for the baby, forget the mother" (at my wife's insistence). I found an NHS guideline document which urged all medical professionals to recommended turning breech babies if at all possible rather than section them. So I read the document, it was very impartial, very clear, full of references. It basically stated that from the child's point of view, there was a slightly elevated risk to the child in turning, i.e. section was a miniscule amount safer. And turning only worked about half the time.

So why did the document recommend turning breech babies? Primarily because it's much cheaper for the state than a section, but also because the mother has a longer recovery period. In other words, there was no benefit to the child in having this procedure done. So we didn't go with it.

So I would recommend doing the same - not necessarily taking the blinkered child-only view that we did, but just getting your hands on as much impartial information as you can so that you can make the decision you're happy with. Medical professionals will give you recommendations on what they think is best for you, but as the RCOG showed this week, their recommendations aren't always the most realistic.
    Irish maternity hospitals in particular have a long history of working as production lines and their advice is often taken from the viewpoint that a childbirth which uses intervention is preferable to one without because it means the hospital staff (and consultants mainly) can keep to a schedule. Don't allow yourself to be pressured into making a decision that you're not 100% happy with.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I had the syntocin part of the induction (ie not the gels to get me going but the drip to speed up the progress). It was grand.

I opted for the epidural once I knew I was going to be bound to the bed with the drip anyway and I didn't feel a thing after that. I had a little sleep between 2cm and 8cm.

I did end up with an emergency section in the end as my baby was in distress. The consensus was that this was to do with his head size, positioning and the fact that my early labour had been uncharacteristically intense and long.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭traineeacc

<p>I was induced, at 40+1 due to blood pressure, ended also in an emergency section due to dropping baby heart rate. I firmly believe he wasn't ready to be born hence the distress with the contractions. I know I can't be induced again but if I had of know I would have went straight for the section. The distress of the panic of the emergency section will never leave me. </p>
    <p>My friend in a similar position opted for a section outright and had no problems whatsoever.</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>With the benefit of hindsight I would have refused the induction that's obviously my personal feeling.</p>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Everyone has different experiences and you're never going to get a definitive answer, tbh. Personally, I had an induction at 41 weeks and it was a very positive experience - I managed to have the exact birth I wanted, down to not needing an epidural - but friends of mine have had different results. The main thing with induction, if you do decide to go down that route, is not to make the mistake of thinking it's going to be more painful/more difficult than going yourself. It really doesn't have to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭KCC

Vitani - were you on the drip or was it just the pessaries? I'm interested to know as I was induced on my first child and it was fine labouring after the pessaries, but it all then stopped and I had my waters broken and was put on the drip. After that it was pure and utter torture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Just the pessaries. I had to have two doses of them, so it did get more intense after the second set, but it was still manageable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I was induced on my first after my waters breaking 24 hours before hand. It didn't work because she was in distress, but the warning signs had been there from that very morning, baby not moving much, hard to find a heart beat etc when I look back. I had the syntocin drip and an epidural.

I'd avoid induction if at all possible, but do what's best for you and baby on the advice of your doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭DoubleB

Thanks everyone for the great advice and opinions. I would much prefer not to be induced but I guess if Dr encourages it I will wonder have they worries about baby. Hopefully it won't come to that and I will go into labour naturally!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

DoubleB wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the great advice and opinions. I would much prefer not to be induced but I guess if Dr encourages it I will wonder have they worries about baby. Hopefully it won't come to that and I will go into labour naturally!

I think I remember reading on the AIMS Ireland website about induction... I can't remember exactly what it says but it's basically saying that less intervention is ideal, and questions to ask when induction is suggested to help make your decision.
    I was induced and regret it, i think if i had held off and laboured naturally that the whole birth would have been a much better experience for everyone. I honestly think that when baby is happy and everything is going well that they will come when they're ready :)

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭KCC

vitani wrote: »
    Just the pessaries. I had to have two doses of them, so it did get more intense after the second set, but it was still manageable.

That's what I thought. Basically I'd avoid the drip if at all possible - it's on another level altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I went naturally then got the drip when the epi slowed things down. I felt I was no longer labouring myself but having the baby removed! It was not painful as I already had the epi, but there were alot of stitches and 2 hours of pushing. 2nd delivery was natural delivery.

A friend has five children and she has had an induction and epidural at 39 weeks with each of them with no issues. (health reason for the 39 weeks).

Personally I would not have an induction because in my mind I just think I'll end up having a section in the end anyway. Maybe the doctor could give you odds of the induction ending in a section? I'm not pro section (I'd be terrified to be honest!) but if it was a choice between both, I'd take section anyday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

If you're are going to be induced ask the doctor what your Bishops score is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishop_score

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

I was induced on both, and had epidurals for both and delivered two healthy girls, had one great labour experience and one not as great (but I put that down to me asking for epidural too late). I understand you want everything to be as natural as possible but I didn't feel like being induced was unnatural, my body still did what it was made to do and I pushed both of them out. It can make for a quicker birth though so don't be surprised if things seem to move quickly. Personally I thought induction was fine for me and wouldn't say anything negative about it. The most important thing is that you talk all your concerns through with your doctor and that you feel happy with the decision that's made in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

January wrote: »
    If you're are going to be induced ask the doctor what your Bishops score is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishop_score

That's not always reliable though, and can depend on the person doing it as to how you're rated.

Advertisement