Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overpaid due to time recording mistake

Options
  • 07-06-2013 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I noticed I got paid more this month than normal but I put it down to some overtime that perhaps wasn't approved/paid from last month in addition to some backpay that was owed.

I had a quick look through my time recording today and noticed a mistake. It seems I recorded double time for one week instead of just normal time. No one queried this with me (which is weird as it should be pre-approved) and I guess it was just paid out.

How should I handle this? It was a simple mistake I have a template that I just fill in my standard hours and I just filled them in against the wrong row.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Tell your manager ASAP. You do not want them thinking it was deliberate. It should come across a lot better than them querying it with you down the road. Maybe it'd never happen, but I wouldn't want that hanging over me.

Remember that they can get the money back even if it was their mistake, let alone if it's your mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Daemonic

If you bring it up straight away and explain it was just an error it'll probably be appreciated by your manager and those whose job it is to check these details, may even earn you some brownie points for honesty.
    Leaving it to see if it's noticed will lead to stress on your part and a bad impression that you can't be trusted if it is discovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Daemonic wrote: »
    If you bring it up straight away and explain it was just an error it'll probably be appreciated by your manager and those whose job it is to check these details, may even earn you some brownie points for honesty.
    Leaving it to see if it's noticed will lead to stress on your part and a bad impression that you can't be trusted if it is discovered.

Yes. I'll contact my manager on monday to find out how I repay it. Maybe just a case of going unpaid for a week to make up for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

overpaid wrote: »
    Yes. I'll contact my manager on monday to find out how I repay it. Maybe just a case of going unpaid for a week to make up for it?

Or if you haven't spent it, it could just be a case of transferring it to their account.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

overpaid wrote: »
    Don't by any means offer to go unpaid for a week - that is just foolish and unnecessary. Offer to repay a reasonable amount from the next 3 or 4 wages (if you get paid weekly). Yes a mistake happened, but you owned up to it, it was unintentional and I'm sure you'll be paying closer attention in future so really no need to go a week with no money.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Little Ted wrote: »
    Don't by any means offer to go unpaid for a week - that is just foolish and unnecessary. Offer to repay a reasonable amount from the next 3 or 4 wages (if you get paid weekly). Yes a mistake happened, but you owned up to it, it was unintentional and I'm sure you'll be paying closer attention in future so really no need to go a week with no money.

If you made a mistake and can rectify it immediately why in heavens name would you not do so? "Sorry I made a mistake, but I'm not going to bother to fix it, at least not just yet...", ya sounds like a great way plan!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Jim2007 wrote: »
    If you made a mistake and can rectify it immediately why in heavens name would you not do so? "Sorry I made a mistake, but I'm not going to bother to fix it, at least not just yet...", ya sounds like a great way plan!

I don't think its unreasonable to avoid having NO salary for a week. I run payroll and would never expect someone to completely forfeit their salary for a whole pay period to rectify a mistake - even if it was their mistake. It actually makes it easier to split it in terms of taxes and PRSI.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Op is monthly paid

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Little Ted wrote: »
    I don't think its unreasonable to avoid having NO salary for a week. I run payroll and would never expect someone to completely forfeit their salary for a whole pay period to rectify a mistake - even if it was their mistake. It actually makes it easier to split it in terms of taxes and PRSI.

The OP has been over paid by a week, so it is not as if he has not got the money.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

As said, if you still have the money offer it back, it could be a case that they only pay you for three weeks next month and it evens itself out.

If you have spent the money, offer to repay it over a number of pay cycles, it was their mistake after all.

My wife was over paid in her job, she was given an increment she wasn't due and is repaying it over 24 months.

But most importantly as has been said tell your manager ASAP, and in writing, i.e. an email, just in case they never follow through with anything.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Advertisement
Advertisement