Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a House in Dublin 12

Options
  • 07-06-2013 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

I am curious as to what kind of budgets people who are looking in the D12 area have and what is motivating them to look there.

We've been looking at houses in D12 and have noticed an increasing trend of houses going for more than asking. It's getting kind of frustrating because some of the asking prices seem a bit ridiculous to start with - especially when comparing to the Property Price Register.

We're in around the 250K mark and looking because OH grew up there, the family is there, good schools and amenities and we both like the area.

How about you?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Dortilolma wrote: »
    I am curious as to what kind of budgets people who are looking in the D12 area have and what is motivating them to look there.

We've been looking at houses in D12 and have noticed an increasing trend of houses going for more than asking. It's getting kind of frustrating because some of the asking prices seem a bit ridiculous to start with - especially when comparing to the Property Price Register.

We're in around the 250K mark and looking because OH grew up there, the family is there, good schools and amenities and we both like the area.

How about you?

Whereabouts in the area are you looking? D12 is a huge area which runs a broad "social" spectrum (can't think of a better word, sorry). Like, 250k won't get you onto Whitehall Road, would probably get you a fixer-upper in Perrystown, but should see you come out with change in parts of Crumlin/Drimnagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dortilolma

We're looking in an around the Longmile Road - though anywhere from around the Iveagh Gardens down to Walkinstown Roundabout. That being said if there was a nice house for a good price just outside that area we'd consider it.

There are houses within our asking price around there - it's just that when we get down to bidding or find out something is sale agreed its always over asking price which I just don't understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Independance

Unfort I was same, sat on it too long & should have bought last year, i've gone sa on house in clondalkin at €260 which was asking price which i didnt want to do, got into bidding war & went to asking, still think i was bidding agaist myself. I could have bought a 4bed semi with garage last year in same area for €235, i'm kicking myself,

• Registered Users Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Shhh keep it down guys, there's plenty people on here who will argue with you saying prices aren't rising. They will even quote you pointless stats.

As Honey said its s big area , native Dubs, tend to avoid using post codes as there are so many different areas within them.

You need to look in certain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

ted1 wrote: »
    Shhh keep it down guys, there's plenty people on here who will argue with you saying prices aren't rising. They will even quote you pointless stats.

As Honey said its s big area , native Dubs, tend to avoid using post codes as there are so many different areas within them.

You need to look in certain

Yeah, stats and hard facts may tell a story, but they're all manipulated by vested interests trying to play down the upturn so that they get the chance to purchase themselves!!

In fairness, I think that, even on here, most people agree the market is certainly more vibrant than this time last year (even if facts reflecting that are hard to come by). What many caution about is that we haven't yet had the dead cat bounce which is characteristic of virtually every bubble there's ever been, of course we may be different (heard that before?), but given the macro economic picture and the prospect of several very tough budgets domestically.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

ted1 wrote: »
    Shhh keep it down guys, there's plenty people on here who will argue with you saying prices aren't rising.
    They're not really, except south of the Liffey in Dublin, where limited space and high demand is helping to push prices up a tad.

OP; Drimnagh any good for you?

Or a 3 bed for €209k in Walkinstown; http://www.daft.ie/1717161

• Registered Users Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭ted1

the_syco wrote: »
    They're not really, except south of the Liffey in Dublin, where limited space and high demand is helping to push prices up a tad.

OP; Drimnagh any good for you?

There's no mention of a BER on the ad, which is illegal

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dortilolma

the_syco wrote: »

Thanks, we called about that one and were told it was sale agreed.

There appear to be a lot of properties according to myhome and daft but most we've followed up with are sale agreed and when I ask what they went for it's always been for above asking.
    ted1 wrote:
    There's no mention of a BER on the ad, which is illegal

Quite a lot are up with no BER.

Advertisement