Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty MacBook - they won't refund me . . .

Options
  • 07-06-2013 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

I bought a MacBook Pro in August. It slowly started to develop problems. One of the problems was a faulty screen - there was a number of dead pixels in the one spot.

I returned to the store to have this problem fixed. They replaced the screen and fixed all of the other issues at the same time. Everything was fine except for the screen repair.

There seems to be an issue with all of the new ,macbook displays where as any image that is left on the screen for too long is temporarily ''burned'' into the screen and can be seen a little over what is currently on the screen.

When I purchased my MacBook I checked if it was the case for my one. It wasnt as it was only apparent on some of the screens when it was first released.

However, the replacement screen has this issue. The store is claiming that it is normal for this to occur. I had requested another repair in the hope of a better screen. However they refused saying that they will all have image retention.

So I then asked for a refund and they refused saying that it was a normal part of the laptop.

It does seem as though it is now normal for these laptops, but its not something I want or something I had when I first bought it. And for a laptop that cost €2300 I would expect better.

Am I just stuck with it like this or do I have a right to a refund?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

TopCat wrote: »
    Hi,

I bought a MacBook Pro in August. It slowly started to develop problems. One of the problems was a faulty screen - there was a number of dead pixels in the one spot.

I returned to the store to have this problem fixed. They replaced the screen and fixed all of the other issues at the same time. Everything was fine except for the screen repair.

There seems to be an issue with all of the new ,macbook displays where as any image that is left on the screen for too long is temporarily ''burned'' into the screen and can be seen a little over what is currently on the screen.

When I purchased my MacBook I checked if it was the case for my one. It wasnt as it was only apparent on some of the screens when it was first released.

However, the replacement screen has this issue. The store is claiming that it is normal for this to occur. I had requested another repair in the hope of a better screen. However they refused saying that they will all have image retention.

So I then asked for a refund and they refused saying that it was a normal part of the laptop.

It does seem as though it is now normal for these laptops, but its not something I want or something I had when I first bought it. And for a laptop that cost €2300 I would expect better.

Am I just stuck with it like this or do I have a right to a refund?

Have you an image burned on your screen or is the potential of this happening you are worried about?

Do the screens burn the image permanently?

How long does the image have to be left to burn in?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Have you tried dealing with Apple directly rather then the random store?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

Apple are much better to deal with directly then through stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 TopCat

I have contacted Apple - however, they said they informed me to bring it to one of their repair centres to have it checked out (the store that I purchased it from was their main one) - they also said they dont give refunds for anything that wasnt bought directly from them.

The image burn is not permanent and as far as I know there is no possibility of it becoming permanent. The burn can clearly be seen with in 3 minutes of it being on the screen. And will fade away with in a few minutes - the longer its left on the screen the longer it stays for.

The main selling point of this laptop was the screen - you can get it without the retina screen for a lot cheaper. So its not something I would expect from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I'd start with asking them to replace their faulty LG screen with the Samsung model that doesn't have the ghosting. Pity we don't have class action mechanisms like in the US.

I'm not sure where you stand with this though, as the product is over 2k the the small claims court is out of the question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I'm not sure where you stand with this though, as the product is over 2k the the small claims court is out of the question.

over 2k in August of last year, not over 2k at this stage, he would not get a full refund after almost a year in the SCC, they tend to rule for pro rata refunds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

theteal wrote: »
    over 2k in August of last year, not over 2k at this stage, he would not get a full refund after almost a year in the SCC, they tend to rule for pro rata refunds

Would they not take into account that it was worth 2.3k when it was purchased and if she were only to claim for 2000. I'm sure that they would give the full 2000.

If its worth that much I'm sure it's taken care of and it would still cost over 2000 to replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 TopCat

I would be willing to take the 2000 from the small claims court. All of the other brands are cheaper anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

DylanII wrote: »
    Would they not take into account that it was worth 2.3k when it was purchased and if she were only to claim for 2000. I'm sure that they would give the full 2000.

If its worth that much I'm sure it's taken care of and it would still cost over 2000 to replace.

from outcomes that we've seen on threads here, the way they break it down is to give the item an approximate life expectancy and deduct the time of use from that with an associated monetary figure

e.g. laptop - lets say 5 years expectancy, cost - 2300 = 460 per year.

It was in use for the guts of a year so, 2300 - 460 = 1840.

These figures are clearly approximate and I'm not saying that this will definitely be the outcome but it does give a picture of the kind of refunds that we've seen people get

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I was looking to get one of these. I'm glad I came across this thread, as I won't be getting one now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

You have rights, so use them. The shop is wrong, bring said faulty laptop back and demand a replacement laptop as the first repair must be permanent and it was not, so you are now entitled to a replacement.

If they still give you problems tell them you will be taking them to the small claims court. It's not dear to do this.

National Consumer Agency... your rights regarding faulty equipment... http://www.nca.ie/nca/faulty-goods

• Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Is it a faulty good? Can you argue its not fit for purpose if there is a faded ghosted image on the screen?

I'd be super pissed if I spent 2.3K on a laptop and it wasnt perfect but I'm not sure you could describe it not fit for purpose?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

Is it a faulty good? Can you argue its not fit for purpose if there is a faded ghosted image on the screen?

I'd be super pissed if I spent 2.3K on a laptop and it wasnt perfect but I'm not sure you could describe it not fit for purpose?

If the problem wasn't there when she bought it and only appeared after they repaired another problem.

The laptops marketing also focus on the screen quality and for image/ video editing. In that case then image retention is not acceptable.

Advertisement