Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TBS 6280 Dual DTT Card

• 07-06-2013 12:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I was considering installing a dual DTT receiver in my HTPC and as I already have a TBS Sat card the TBS 6280 seemed to be a logical choice.

But ...... isn't there always one? ....... I do not see the 6280 on the TBS site, only on third party sites.

Is it still produced by TBS?
    Have they replaced it with a newer model?
    Did I just miss it? :(

I tried Dabs.ie and they say it will be ordered especially by them if I place an order for it ..... no stock held obviously.

I am hesitating in case the 6280 has gone 'end of life' and there is something newer available that I have not yet come across.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

Hi,
    I was considering installing a dual DTT receiver in my HTPC and as I already have a TBS Sat card the TBS 6280 seemed to be a logical choice.

But ...... isn't there always one? ....... I do not see the 6280 on the TBS site, only on third party sites.

Is it still produced by TBS?
    Have they replaced it with a newer model?
    Did I just miss it? :(

I tried Dabs.ie and they say it will be ordered especially by them if I place an order for it ..... no stock held obviously.

I am hesitating in case the 6280 has gone 'end of life' and there is something newer available that I have not yet come across.

Any ideas?

Why a dual DVB-T2 ? A Dual DVB-T will work with Saorview. If your interested I've a spare dual DVB-T I could sell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

jobyrne30 wrote: »
    Why a dual DVB-T2 ? A Dual DVB-T will work with Saorview. If your interested I've a spare dual DVB-T I could sell

Several reasons why the TBS card would be more suitable, if still produced ....

TBS supports Linux, TerraTec/Cinergy does not. My HTPC uses Linux.

My HTPC already has the TBS drivers installed so there should be little to be done other than plugging in the card. I like an easy life ;)

I am using a TBS card and am happy with it ..... have never used any TerraTec product, although I believe that card is quite good.

The Saorview spec now calls for T2 .... although not used presently, there is no point in not future-proofing a purchase if possible.

If the TBS card is not available or discontinued I will re-think the purchase.

Thanks for the offer ;)

Update:

Received the TBS card today from Dabs.ie.
    Yes it is costly IMO, but it does all I will ever need.

Popped it in and booted Openelec and all was good ..... only needed to set up the card on TVHeadend to have everything functional.
    The drivers I had installed for the TBS 6981 also had drivers for the 6280, so no messing with drivers etc.

Quite pleased ... although a costly option it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Rick_

How much did you pay for it?

I found a site (buydvb.net) and they are selling the 6280 for €85 or the 6284 for €160. The 6284 is a quad tuner DVB-T2 card.

Paddy C wrote: »
    How much did you pay for it?

I found a site (buydvb.net) and they are selling the 6280 for €85 or the 6284 for €160. The 6284 is a quad tuner DVB-T2 card.

It was ~€123 including VAT & delivery ...... got it from Dabs who are by no means the cheapest ;)

I would be wary of getting such an item from outside the EU ...... last time I got hit for customs charges :(

I don't have any reason for a quad card ...... this card will be well on the way out before we have four muxes being transmitted in Ireland :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Rick_

A quad might be handy for myself, I can receive a total of 11 (soon to be 12) MUX's and there's bound to be a clash between 3 or more programmes at some point and having the duplicate MUX's for the Freeview Lite / NI MiniMux might not be enough to get me out of that tight spot!

Paddy C wrote: »
    A quad might be handy for myself, I can receive a total of 11 (soon to be 12) MUX's and there's bound to be a clash between 3 or more programmes at some point and having the duplicate MUX's for the Freeview Lite / NI MiniMux might not be enough to get me out of that tight spot!

I was not aware there were that many individual muxes being transmitted in NI.

How many separate channels are available?

Advertisement