Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-Occupy Galway discussion [Mod warning in post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Ahhhh, what a seriously depressing thread.

IMHO the Occupy movement was a chance to level the playing field for the average Joe (while I'll agree that their failure was a lack of direction, their intentions were very well meaning).

The ongoing attack on living standards across the world is relentless. Just look at all the new taxes here in Ireland.... we are now taxed when we take shelter from the elements (property tax), soon to be taxed to consume water, soon to be taxed to consume information (communication charge)... the only thing I can think of isn't taxed is consuming oxygen. Meanwhile OUR natural resources are being given away for a song and a dance by corrupt politicians, who for a measly 50 grand will **** the rest of the population over.

Yet the indoctrinated keyboard lemmings of boards.ie, being the good little robots they are act as they have been taught.

It's sad that someone who is willing to spend their time and energy concerned with manners relating to 'the greater good', rather than their own narrow personal interests, comes here to boards.ie and is relentlessly hounded. ..... "you didn't answer my question, you didn't answer my question" ad nauseum..... maybe your questions didn't deserve answering!!! + go educate yourself!

I've also given up on boards.ie, it seem that there is a clique of users here that are objectionable for the sake of it.

Rant over.

Btw, I won't be answering question just because you can pose them.

Ah... maybe it's Maybelline.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭galwayfellaBETA

zarquon wrote: »
    Our questions are "what are the specific goals and targets of Occupy Galway?" and "how do they plan to implement and succeed in their proposed goals?" Those are the most fundamental questions of any validity and the continued objective to ignore those questions by yourself and Yara makes the re-emergence of the occupy ideology quite farcical to be honest. A directionless movement with no specific goals or targets and no knowledge of how to implement real change is utterly pointless.

Man the assumptions...

You might like to note: I have no connection with the Occupy Movement besides a donation I made to their 'coffee kitty' one day while on my way home from work. Why you think I have questions to answer on their behalf is beyond me. I simply welcomed their message that a substantial percentage of world wide wealth is owned by a tiny minority.

I used the word Lemmings earlier as I can't understand why so many here so easily jump on the 'hippy bashing' bandwagon, when unless you are a millionaire, the inequitable wealth distribution effect you too! (and no I'm not a hippy, never had dreds, I've worked full time, bar about 6 months, since leaving college 18 years ago [I've paid more tax over the years than I care to calculate] ... you know, its quite sad that I have to qualify all that here).

Every year I seem to see my living standards continually eroded, by this and the previous rightwing govenments (don't get me started on the rest of them). To me the Occupy people were a ray of light in a world of corrupt politics, brown envelopes, shady deals and greasy fingers.

I liked the Occupy movement because they brought to popular attention the fact that the current socioeconomic model does not fully serve the greater good. The current model of perpetual growth is degrading every environment on the planet and impoverishing billions, yet those that point this out are ridiculed here.

Please do not request that I redesign the entire world economy, I can't, either could the occupy movement. You are all dead right, they didn't have all the answers or the blueprints for Nirvana but that is no reason to belittle them or call them 'utterly pointless'.

In short: imho, a very worthwhile movement that is being belittled by keyboard warriors etc.

Have fun kids :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,159 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Man the assumptions...

You might like to note: I have no connection with the Occupy Movement besides a donation I made to their 'coffee kitty' one day while on my way home from work. Why you think I have questions to answer on their behalf is beyond me. I simply welcomed their message that a substantial percentage of world wide wealth is owned by a tiny minority.

I used the word Lemmings earlier as I can't understand why so many here so easily jump on the 'hippy bashing' bandwagon, when unless you are a millionaire, the inequitable wealth distribution effect you too! (and no I'm not a hippy, never had dreds, I've worked full time, bar about 6 months, since leaving college 18 years ago [I've paid more tax over the years than I care to calculate] ... you know, its quite sad that I have to qualify all that here).

Every year I seem to see my living standards continually eroded, by this and the previous rightwing govenments (don't get me started on the rest of them). To me the Occupy people were a ray of light in a world of corrupt politics, brown envelopes, shady deals and greasy fingers.

I liked the Occupy movement because they brought to popular attention the fact that the current socioeconomic model does not fully serve the greater good. The current model of perpetual growth is degrading every environment on the planet and impoverishing billions, yet those that point this out are ridiculed here.

Please do not request that I redesign the entire world economy, I can't, either could the occupy movement. You are all dead right, they didn't have all the answers or the blueprints for Nirvana but that is no reason to belittle them or call them 'utterly pointless'.

In short: imho, a very worthwhile movement that is being belittled by keyboard warriors etc.

Have fun kids :D
    No, they dont have ANY answers or blueprints, how many times does this have to be pointed out, they HAVE NO PLAN, thats what everyone is asking for or even a hint of one at this point. And the keyboard warriors bit is extra ironic given your over zealous defence of OG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭yara

italodisco wrote: »
    Oh, and by the way us tax payers are the ones paying for you to protest as most of you use the excuse of not working for corporates etc as your way out of having to.work . )

yes we're all unemployed because none of want to work for corporations, i tell me little girl this everytime she needs something new

biko wrote: »

If OG wants to claim to speak for the 99% in Galway they need to find a way to get the 99% to participate. I'm not sure how but to me that would be key.

i hate to be a sarcastic bastard but that's an amazing realisation

if i had a euro for everytime it's been mentioned in public meetings where nobody has shown up

to comment on the first part of your post occupy Galway was a "hippy" movement due to nobody from general public wanting to or being allowed to have anything to do with OG over fear of being ridiculed by people who seem to take personal offence that some people are trying to do something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

yara wrote: »
    i hate to be a sarcastic bastard but that's an amazing realisation

if i had a euro for everytime it's been mentioned in public meetings where nobody has shown up

If the majority of people do not support the occupy movement, then you cannot proclaim to represent the majority of people. You do not represent the mythical 99%, because we don't want you to and you refuse to accept this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Thankfully nobody showed up to this nonsense and the travesty that ruined Eyre Square for 9 months wasn't reborn. The civilised, intelligent people of Galway realised fairly rapidly the bulls**t that was being spouted by OG. Even after this long period of reflection for themselves, they still can't answer the most basic of questions regarding their aims and ambitions and the more time goes on, the more they look like professional protestors.
    Of course there are changes needed, the political system is a bit of a mess. But OG had no concept of even the basics of Economics and the tone of their contributors on this site in particular, even now, comes across as belittling to people asking valid questions. Sitting in Eyre Square playing music, drinking tea and drawing dole, which was the public perception for a reason, isn't going to change a damn thing. And claiming to represent the 99% was ludicrous and set them up for abject failure straight away. For instance, I'm not part of the richest 1% but I'm very happy with the system, the "world order" and my own personal situation.
    Suck it up. Ireland isn't half as bad as ye make it out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Weather took a turn for the worse Id say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

.............some people are trying to do something.

Where I come from sitting around scratching yourself is most definitely NOT considered 'doing something'.

You've no clear mission statement, no feasible ideas, no plan, no nothing.
    Effectively you're just sitting around bemoaning the status quo.

If, on the other hand you actually started doing something, get a clear mission statement : this is what we want, this is how we're going to achieve it (and then preferably clearer goals than 'world peace through transcendental meditation') and this is what we're doing to work towards our goals, you might find you might actually get some support from the 'sheep' as you seem to think of people.

It would serve you well though, when whining about the lack of support,to remember that us 'sheep' can't come out and join you as we're busy keeping the country afloat.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Re-Occupy Galway doesn't seem to have returned... so isn't this thread based on guff?

Honestly, the way things started out, the OP acted as if Occupy Galway could inspire hoards of people to descend on Eyre Square.
    The rain's back. They'll probably do it next summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Is there really an official Galway Occupy group? How does a group become part of the Occupy movement?

I may start an Arklow group. So far I have myself, my rabbit, and assorted budgies.

zarquon wrote: »
    If the majority of people do not support the occupy movement, then you cannot proclaim to represent the majority of people. You do not represent the mythical 99%, because we don't want you to and you refuse to accept this.

no, at the end of the day there are many many people who do support us verbally or online and even though they haven't been able to join in for whatever reason they have they do support us.

this is a fact and it cannot be denied that we do have supporters, not as much as we would like to make a difference but we are growing elsewhere and the revolution is coming no matter how much some of ye dig your heels in.

in case you haven't noticed the whole worldwide political system, business, big pharma, food production/manipulation, our seas, skies, natural resources and so much more has become completely and utterly corrupted and fubar. we are being governed by war criminals and corrupted puppets that all have a part to play in the worldwide corruption of our lives while they all enjoy the lavish luxurious lives they're guaranteed as long as we either remain completely silent, or what we all know as fact from other countries currently in revolution, stand up for yourselves and you will soon see the true colours of our "governments"!!

it is not good enough to keep denying that so many people are crumbling under the system here and globally but so many of ue are still trying to maintain everythig will be ok if we get our debt down. just look at what's happening accross the world and realise the same people manipulating it all are thw same ones profitting big style from it all and have no problems bombing the **** out of everyone either financially or with democracy bombs.

we will never get tied down to one subject or just think locally either, every wrong thing and all it enables is in the sights of all occupiers and supporters worldwide. we are growing, will never go away and thankfully don't rely on approval from everyone to decide we've personally had enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 R1200RT

......we will never get tied down to one subject or just think locally either.......,

Who's WE?

R1200RT wrote: »
    Who's WE?

Occupiers

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Occupiers

Starting to read like directions in Dingle. "Where's Dick Mack's"? "Opposite the church". "Where's the church"? "Opposite Dick Mack's"...

no, at the end of the day there are many many people who do support us verbally or online and even though they haven't been able to join in for whatever reason they have they do support us.

this is a fact and it cannot be denied that we do have supporters, not as much as we would like to make a difference but we are growing elsewhere and the revolution is coming no matter how much some of ye dig your heels in.

in case you haven't noticed the whole worldwide political system, business, big pharma, food production/manipulation, our seas, skies, natural resources and so much more has become completely and utterly corrupted and fubar. we are being governed by war criminals and corrupted puppets that all have a part to play in the worldwide corruption of our lives while they all enjoy the lavish luxurious lives they're guaranteed as long as we either remain completely silent, or what we all know as fact from other countries currently in revolution, stand up for yourselves and you will soon see the true colours of our "governments"!!

it is not good enough to keep denying that so many people are crumbling under the system here and globally but so many of ue are still trying to maintain everythig will be ok if we get our debt down. just look at what's happening accross the world and realise the same people manipulating it all are thw same ones profitting big style from it all and have no problems bombing the **** out of everyone either financially or with democracy bombs.

we will never get tied down to one subject or just think locally either, every wrong thing and all it enables is in the sights of all occupiers and supporters worldwide. we are growing, will never go away and thankfully don't rely on approval from everyone to decide we've personally had enough.

I have but one question.....just the one...

What are you going to DO?? As in, which actions are you going to take to bring about this change we, the masses, so desperately crave?

wexie wrote: »
    Where I come from sitting around scratching yourself is most definitely NOT considered 'doing something'.

You've no clear mission statement, no feasible ideas, no plan, no nothing.
    Effectively you're just sitting around bemoaning the status quo.

If, on the other hand you actually started doing something, get a clear mission statement : this is what we want, this is how we're going to achieve it (and then preferably clearer goals than 'world peace through transcendental meditation') and this is what we're doing to work towards our goals, you might find you might actually get some support from the 'sheep' as you seem to think of people.

It would serve you well though, when whining about the lack of support,to remember that us 'sheep' can't come out and join you as we're busy keeping the country afloat.

it would serve you well to know nobody expects people who don't have the time to actually help out, unless they did have an evening a week to take part in something they're interested in (insert your favourite issue that effects you here) and see where it takes them. there are 24 hours in a day and we get 7 of them. if people really have no time nobody is expecting help from you. there are however way more people than have been protesting out there with a few spare hours a week they could use to help form something.

by all means people are welcome to wait for a handful of people to do all the work alone to try start something huge but if you've had enough think about joining or starting something to enable fighting back in whatever way you want.

it would serve you well to know nobody expects people who don't have the time to actually help out, unless they did have an evening a week to take part in something they're interested in (insert your favourite issue that effects you here) and see where it takes them. there are 24 hours in a day and we get 7 of them. if people really have no time nobody is expecting help from you. there are however way more people than have been protesting out there with a few spare hours a week they could use to help form something.

by all means people are welcome to wait for a handful of people to do all the work alone to try start something huge but if you've had enough think about joining or starting something to enable fighting back in whatever way you want.

What work? What have you started? Tell me what it is you're actually DOING, last I checked council workers had to clean up after you in Galway and Dublin so you couldn't even clean up after yourself.

Please do enlighten me what it is you are DOING, bearing in mind that sitting around spouting baseless slogans and silly ideas is neither constructive nor helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Okay. Yara, what are you, as an individual, planning on doing to help everybody?

Just asking, because you can't seem to answer questions about occupy itself.

I have but one question.....just the one...

What are you going to DO?? As in, which actions are you going to take to bring about this change we, the masses, so desperately crave?

i attend protest marches regularly, I attended meetings for some leftist groups and helped organise the music and promotion of some fundraisers, i'm in regularish contact with a lot of politicians for one reason or another, and had the chance to engage one on one with some of them, i've organised a couple of protests in my time, i have a lot of people regularly liking my posts on my facebook and very few seem to have hiden my posts from their feed, as much as i'm sharing stuff people are still reading it all, i have about 3000 friends/likes/followers on my profile and other facebook pages.

that's just off the top of me head

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 R1200RT

Take a break ben.schlomo - I'll type the response on this one: "But you didn't ANSWER the QUESTION!!!"

We need to stop wasting our lives on this meaningless negativity - the circle is pretty much closed.

I'm unfollowing the thread and going to bed - I have to WORK* in the morning.

* - Google it OG's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

What if the occupy movement did succeed and the world leaders, their puppets and systems just upped and gone? What then? If you have belief in what your doing surely you would have a plan for this new world. I'm not for or against occupy movement. I would like to know some of the plans for the new world before getting behind the occupy movement.

What work? What have you started? Tell me what it is you're actually DOING, last I checked council workers had to clean up after you in Galway and Dublin so you couldn't even clean up after yourself.

Please do enlighten me what it is you are DOING, bearing in mind that sitting around spouting baseless slogans and silly ideas is neither constructive nor helpful.

the council cleaned it up because we were not allowed near the camp to even retrieve personal possessions, so much of our stuff was removed with no itinerary taken and less than half of it finding it's way back to us just there a month ago, before we moved over to the other part of the sq we got organic cleaning fluid amd cleaned up all the wino piss off the wheelchair section that acts as a uniral directly across from fibbers, we scrubbed the whole area ove there many times and washed it down more times than that, we then moved into a very clean spot so as to allow access for the christmas market, we kept the place so well that there's not one report of someone suffering from a health and safety issue over 215 days and nights, we would have been delighted to clean the area up after our stuff was taken to never be returned again (laptops and the likes included!!) and after the camp was broken up and removed, nobody but garda and council workers were allowed near the site until it was all cleaned up by them first.

many of us regularly went around the square to pick up the rubbish and even encouraged the kids who hung around the square to do so too. the garda under no obligation to do so stated regularly that the square was safer while we were there, crime on the square was actually down while protestors waited for 215 for the people to come and start something huge.

next

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    What if the occupy movement did succeed and the world leaders, their puppets and systems just upped and gone? What then? If you have belief in what your doing surely you would have a plan for this new world. I'm not for or against occupy movement. I would like to know some of the plans for the new world before getting behind the occupy movement.

when it gets to that point we'll all know what to do and implement. what gets my goat is we haven't even begun the journey that will lead us to this day. all we need is support from the people and we've all got a chance to enable change. until then everyone's made their bed and they're lying in it no matter how uncomfortable it gets.

R1200RT wrote: »
    Take a break ben.schlomo - I'll type the response on this one: "But you didn't ANSWER the QUESTION!!!"

We need to stop wasting our lives on this meaningless negativity - the circle is pretty much closed.

I'm unfollowing the thread and going to bed - I have to WORK**in the morning.

* - Google it OG's.

** well for some ;)

with all due respect i had my own business until 2009 so please

i attend protest marches regularly, I attended meetings for some leftist groups and helped organise the music and promotion of some fundraisers, i'm in regularish contact with a lot of politicians for one reason or another, and had the chance to engage one on one with some of them, i've organised a couple of protests in my time, i have a lot of people regularly liking my posts on my facebook and very few seem to have hiden my posts from their feed, as much as i'm sharing stuff people are still reading it all, i have about 3000 friends/likes/followers on my profile and other facebook pages.

that's just off the top of me head

Okay, so that's a start. Now let's say Enda Kenny and his mates turn around and say : "actually, you know what? You're right, we've made a balls of it, you guys have a go at it."

What would you do? How would you sort out the HSE? The public sector pay-bill, the social wellfare bill, the bank situation, the negative equity crisis, the unemployment etc. etc.

And that's just Ireland? What about the Middle East? Climate change, pollution, fossil fuels? North Korea?

You can't just expect people to gather up en masse and throw their support behind you simply because you want change without specifying what that change entails?

I would want to know what exactly you'd want changed, what you'd like to change it to and how it's going to effect me and my family. How do I know you wouldn't just turn around and ban Dora the explorer, fossil fuels, steak and Friday night blowjobs?

Okay, so that's a start. Now let's say Enda Kenny and his mates turn around and say : "actually, you know what? You're right, we've made a balls of it, you guys have a go at it."

What would you do? How would you sort out the HSE? The public sector pay-bill, the social wellfare bill, the bank situation, the negative equity crisis, the unemployment etc. etc.

And that's just Ireland? What about the Middle East? Climate change, pollution, fossil fuels? North Korea?

You can't just expect people to gather up en masse and throw their support behind you simply because you want change without specifying what that change entails?

I would want to know what exactly you'd want changed, what you'd like to change it to and how it's going to effect me and my family. How do I know you wouldn't just turn around and ban Dora the explorer, fossil fuels, steak and Friday night blowjobs?

man that's not how it could play out at all, i speak for me alone here by saying each and everyone up to no good right now maybe welcome to stay in their positions and keep most of their legal renumerations but by christ they'd want to start doing what's right quick smart if the people come knocking or else you'll have the people baying for heads to roll. i would be happy to see a gathering of enough people to just demonstrate that we've had enough, 2 to 5 days of simply marching in numbers, absoltely no violence called for or allowed by the sheer numbers of people on the street would be enough to begin to rattle the elite into line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

The problem with some people is that they read or hear a story about such & such a person overcoming all the odds to finally succeed, then somehow take away from that story the idea that just doggedly insisting that your fantasy will become a reality is enough to make a dream come true.

If I was trying to get a grass roots movement like Occupy off the ground in Ireland, or even if I was trying to support such a movement, I'd do pretty much the opposite of what the pro-Occupy posters are doing here.

Isn't that one of the key problems for Occupy et al..? People who are skilled in how to form & grow organisations, how to plan & lead.. well, they either go into business or political life proper.

Occupy Galway, on the basis of this thread, seems like the equivalent of those young fellas who go for the haircut/dress-sense/swagger of their football hero, rather than trying to develop his skills.

The problem with some people is that they read or hear a story about such & such a person overcoming all the odds to finally succeed, then somehow take away from that story the idea that just doggedly insisting that your fantasy will become a reality is enough to make a dream come true.

If I was trying to get a grass roots movement like Occupy off the ground in Ireland, or even if I was trying to support such a movement, I'd do pretty much the opposite of what the pro-Occupy posters are doing here.

Isn't that one of the key problems for Occupy et al..? People who are skilled in how to form & grow organisations, how to plan & lead.. well, they either go into business or political life proper.

Occupy Galway, on the basis of this thread, seems like the equivalent of those young fellas who go for the haircut/dress-sense/swagger of their football hero, rather than trying to develop his skills.

we all gave so much time and effort to keeping the camp open and engage with people and deal with all sorts of internal issues due to the massive learning curve everyone had signed themselves up for by coming together to try start something, none of us had ever done anything like this before, we are sick of what we see in the media showing us how corrupt everything has become and are fed up of being expected to just get on with things. there is so much we could organise very quickly if the support was there but until then we're only hypothesising, a few of us have done all that we could on our own and some have paid a heavy price for doing so too.

• Advertisement

Ahhhh, what a seriously depressing thread.

IMHO the Occupy movement was a chance to level the playing field for the average Joe (while I'll agree that their failure was a lack of direction, their intentions were very well meaning).

The ongoing attack on living standards across the world is relentless. Just look at all the new taxes here in Ireland.... we are now taxed when we take shelter from the elements (property tax), soon to be taxed to consume water, soon to be taxed to consume information (communication charge)... the only thing I can think of isn't taxed is consuming oxygen. Meanwhile OUR natural resources are being given away for a song and a dance by corrupt politicians, who for a measly 50 grand will **** the rest of the population over.

Yet the indoctrinated keyboard lemmings of boards.ie, being the good little robots they are act as they have been taught.

It's sad that someone who is willing to spend their time and energy concerned with manners relating to 'the greater good', rather than their own narrow personal interests, comes here to boards.ie and is relentlessly hounded. ..... "you didn't answer my question, you didn't answer my question" ad nauseum..... maybe your questions didn't deserve answering!!! + go educate yourself!

I've also given up on boards.ie, it seem that there is a clique of users here that are objectionable for the sake of it.

Rant over.

Btw, I won't be answering question just because you can pose them.

A bunch of unemployed people sitting around public squares shouting slogans and talking of how the man runs the world will level the playing field. Funniest thing I've read in a long time.

I would love to see an organisation spring up that actually tackles issues rather than sitting around all day waiting for the public at large to suggest the campaign. Had Occupy worldwide offered a unified front with shared beliefs and ideals then it could have done some good. Sadly it just became a banner under which every professional protester the world over got together to try and forward their own goals. Occupy Galway, for example had so many slogans and beliefs being branded about that more often than not the members were contradicting themselves. It would be laughable were it not so sad.

yes we're all unemployed because none of want to work for corporations, i tell me little girl this everytime she needs something new

From anyone else I would assume that was a joke but I know that at least one person in OG defended his decision not to get a job because he would not work for and I quote him, "the man."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement