Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-Occupy Galway discussion [Mod warning in post #1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

yara wrote: »
    really and truly, what are you on about at all? if you have to ask what this country may need, a revolution, a new political party, save a cow or eat a pussy then I am not going to waste my time tryign to engage with your stupid trolling nonsense, it's been stated over and over again Occupy were to encourage and facilitate debate on ALL the issues effecting us all, that's each and every issue negatively effecting us while certain sections of society have increased their wealth over the last 5/6 years.

we want to achieve a lot actually but if you lot don't get involved with something, be it occupy or any other group out there that are doing lots of good work then you're all dragging this out unnecessarily on everyone

Funny you should accuse me of trolling while all I'm asking is exactly what issues you think need changing and how you'd like to see them changed. So far you've managed to mention a grand total of 0 of these issues and it's not like there aren't plenty to choose from.

Not a single one, yet you're accusing people of not supporting you even though you have time and again failed to tell us what we should be supporting you in?

Sounds to me you don't actually want any support, you just want to go around moaning at the powers that be like a petulant child in the meantime blaiming the masses for lack of change.

In the grownup world, if you don't like something, you define what you don't like about it and how you'd like to see it changed.

Just complaining without bringing any solutions to the table is worse than doing nothing.

I do not tell my little girl that i don't want to work! so what do you suggest each and every single person currently on the dole in Ireland, or in jobsbridge temporarily, or doing a level 5 fetac with no real prospects of jobs for anyone of these hundreds of thousands of people when they finish, we should all just be quiet is it? dangerous thinking suggesting that people out of work cannot protest against the ****ty system that has enabled all this suffering

If you have the time to spend 8 months sitting in Eyre Square then you cannot complain about being unemployed. I'm out of work atm and would love to be able to sit around all day crying about the evil government and how the 1% are keeping the 99 down but unlike yourself and the others at OG I'm actively trying to better my situation. I'm learning new skills and becoming proficient in areas that will help me get a job. In also spending hours every week handing out CVs and browsing job add. It's tough going and prospects aren't great but at least I'm trying rather than those at OG who seem to think that everything should be handed to them. OG most loved idea that they branded about was tax the 1% more and give it to the rest. Must be great sitting around all day drawing the file hoping that some day your 188 a week will jump to 300 a week because at last were justly taxing the evil 1%.

Oh and btw, all this 1% versus the 99% is crap. Yes it's a little sickening that so few have so much but remember that those 1% employe both directly and indirectly a massive amount of the 99%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭yara

churchview wrote: »
    I haven't contributed to this thread as to do so seems largely pointless. However, I couldn't let this pass by.

Successful = Garda presence? This really epitomises protesting for the sake of protesting.

I too am annoyed at our so called leaders, both nationally and locally. OG exacerbates this annoyance as ordinary Joe and Josephine Soaps are being hounded daily for various matters by our local council and various authorities, but OG are and have been allowed to get away with violating our laws and violating our square. Double standards.

what laws of "ours" did we break? how did we violate the square exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I'm actively trying to better my situation. I'm learning new skills and becoming proficient in areas that will help me get a job. In also spending hours every week handing out CVs and browsing job add.
    Dude! You're playing their game. Learning new skills to feed the machine! Pandering to 'the man'!

Tent! Now!

If you have the time to spend 8 months sitting in Eyre Square then you cannot complain about being unemployed. I'm out of work atm and would love to be able to sit around all day crying about the evil government and how the 1% are keeping the 99 down but unlike yourself and the others at OG I'm actively trying to better my situation. I'm learning new skills and becoming proficient in areas that will help me get a job. In also spending hours every week handing out CVs and browsing job add. It's tough going and prospects aren't great but at least I'm trying rather than those at OG who seem to think that everything should be handed to them. OG most loved idea that they branded about was tax the 1% more and give it to the rest. Must be great sitting around all day drawing the file hoping that some day your 188 a week will jump to 300 a week because at last were justly taxing the evil 1%.

Oh and btw, all this 1% versus the 99% is crap. Yes it's a little sickening that so few have so much but remember that those 1% employe both directly and indirectly a massive amount of the 99%.

what are you on about? so you're not receiving social welfare at all while being unemployed? has the government instructed the post office to fire the dole at you instead of handing it to you at the counter each week?

also, where are you coming up with the scenario that we're all sitting around waiting to tax the rich so our doles will go from 188 to 300 per week???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

to suggest that you are doing more than the next person to find a job is just ridiculous when you know nothing about the efforts hundreds of thousands of people are going to to find work in an employers market.

• Advertisement

what are you on about? so you're not receiving social welfare at all while being unemployed? has the government instructed the post office to fire the dole at you instead of handing it to you at the counter each week?

also, where are you coming up with the scenario that we're all sitting around waiting to tax the rich so our doles will go from 188 to 300 per week???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

to suggest that you are doing more than the next person to find a job is just ridiculous when you know nothing about the efforts hundreds of thousands of people are going to to find work in an employers market.

I am receiving the dole but I'm also out there looking for a job unlike those at OG who sat around for 8 months refusing to do so. When I asked them about it I was given a dozen excuses why they weren't and if you want to read them, then I'm going to do what OG do and suggest you look through the older thread for them.

The 188 to 300 comes directly from a member of OG at the camp last year. As he said its barbaric that the government expects people to live off 188 a week and OG were going to pressure the governmenr to increase it through higher taxation of the 1%.

Where did I imply that I was doing more than most? The vast majority of the unemployed are actively looking for a job, those involved in OG are not. If they were serious about work they would not have had the time to sit in Eyre Square for 8 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

you have to be a particular type of an asshole to try suggest people aren't suffering or struggling today in Ireland and across the whole world.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/families-suffer-as-cost-of-living-soars-207611.html

Cash-strapped families face higher prices for everyday items like food and clothes as inflation rose three times faster than expected last month.

Then again you'd have to be a member of o.g. to read the above from what I wrote. I said that the "spiralling" is not reflected in the stats and when you look at the stats and not just take the word of a hack trying to sell papers you'll find that I'm more correct in my opinion that said hack.

That article was written in September 2012, referring to the August prices. What the hack doesn't mention is that August is traditionally the highest cost time of the year. At the time of writing the index was at 101.7, it's now at 101.9. That isn't spiralling that's 2% lower than where history shows us it should be.

I'll take a bit out of the hack's ravings
    Chief economist with Davy stockbrokers Conall MacCoille said he did not expect price pressures on families to ease much in the coming months.

Guess what, he was wrong because prices went down for the rest of the year, into this year in fact, before resuming their normal trend of rising again as we approach the summer.

There's nothing at all abnormal about what we are seeing and the numbers certainly do not support the use of emotive phrases like spiralling.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 man3003

Have read this whole thread.

Interesting also that they are happy to be on the dole rather than work for the man, well this man is for definate sick of people like this soaking up the hard earned taxes I contribute to the country. taxes that could be better spent elsewhere.

You want to change the country then run for political office, with 99% of the country behind you you are guaranteed to get into the Dail, then you can start to bring about real, meaningful change. We thankfully live in a republic where we get to vote in people to lead and govern the country. This is the only way to bring about change. I cannot see what change sitting in a tent will bring about.
    Galway has two major sectors, big pharma companies and tourism, your aims seem to harm both.

Also Using the publicly listed entity Facebook to complain about the "man" is ironic in the extreme.

I am receiving the dole but I'm also out there looking for a job unlike those at OG who sat around for 8 months refusing to do so. When I asked them about it I was given a dozen excuses why they weren't and if you want to read them, then I'm going to do what OG do and suggest you look through the older thread for them.

The 188 to 300 comes directly from a member of OG at the camp last year. As he said its barbaric that the government expects people to live off 188 a week and OG were going to pressure the governmenr to increase it through higher taxation of the 1%.

Where did I imply that I was doing more than most? The vast majority of the unemployed are actively looking for a job, those involved in OG are not. If they were serious about work they would not have had the time to sit in Eyre Square for 8 months.

you know nothing of the occupiers, we had people living there that were working in parkmore, some in bars across the town, others doing courses or just finished courses, some hoping to start courses but due to financial constraints some of those didn't get to start anything. I am in no way interested in looking over old threads to read more of your misinformed non-sense.

there's no occupier that has ever said they expect 300 a week from the dole and nobody would expect it even if the 1% paid their fair share of taxes so that's a baseless lie from you end of. you are talking complete sh1te trying to suggest no occupier has been or is not now looking for a job or trying to start their own business or upskill.

man3003 wrote: »
    Have read this whole thread.

Interesting also that they are happy to be on the dole rather than work for the man, well this man is for definate sick of people like this soaking up the hard earned taxes I contribute to the country. taxes that could be better spent elsewhere.

You want to change the country then run for political office, with 99% of the country behind you you are guaranteed to get into the Dail, then you can start to bring about real, meaningful change. We thankfully live in a republic where we get to vote in people to lead and govern the country. This is the only way to bring about change. I cannot see what change sitting in a tent will bring about.
    Galway has two major sectors, big pharma companies and tourism, your aims seem to harm both.

Also Using the publicly listed entity Facebook to complain about the "man" is ironic in the extreme.

that's it, after almost 350 replies and 10,000 views in barely 4 days I am out of here, I've had enough of feeding the trolls this time round. at the end of the day you're all fooling nobody but yourselves trying to troll the sh1t out of any hint of people standing up for what's right.

• Advertisement

Feck. I need a new definition of troll....

Was I one?!?

you no nothing of the occupiers, we had people living there that were working in parkmore, some in bars across the town, others doing courses or just finished courses, some hoping to start courses but due to financial constraints some of those didn't get to start anything. I am in no way interested in looking over old threads to read more of your misinformed non-sense.

there's no occupier that has ever said they expect 300 a week from the dole and nobody would expect it even if the 1% paid their fair share of taxes so that's a baseless lie from you end of. you are talking complete sh1te trying to suggest no occupier has been or is not now looking for a job or trying to start their own business or upskill.

I got it directly from the horses mouth. Members of OG told me why they would not work and how it was the governments job to support their decision not to do so. Why is it that you find it acceptable to tell posters here to search through google and old threads for answers to questions but won't do so yourself? Some more of OG's double standards at work.

The 300 figure came from a man at the camp, he was scruffy, unwashed with greasy black hair and I'd put him in his 30s. Don't have a name but the description may help you narrow it down and ask him if its true. I never said they weren't looking for a job but if you are in receipt of the dole (which many at OG were) and have 8 months to sit around Eyre Square then you really can't claim to be looking for a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

endacl wrote: »
    Feck. I need a new definition of troll....

Was I one?!?

You've asked a direct question and expected an answer, it would seem that that's the definition of it in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

that's it, after almost 350 replies and 10,000 views in barely 4 days I am out of here, I've had enough of feeding the trolls this time round. at the end of the day you're all fooling nobody but yourselves trying to troll the sh1t out of any hint of people standing up for what's right.

Please don't leave us :eek:

We still need to know 'what's right'?

antoobrien wrote: »
    You've asked a direct question and expected an answer, it would seem that that's the definition of it in this thread.
    Ah well. Back under the bridge, I suppose...

I think that the only troll here is you. You have repeatedly refused to engage in any form of debate or discussion instead resorting to cheap insults and veiled put downs. You refuse to answer questions and instead spend your time making excuses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

You couldn´t write a better dramatisation of the futility of the Occupy movement than this thread. This is it in a nutshell.

Come & protest.

About what?

You are all idiots, we'll save the world on our own.

How? From what?

We can't tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Is Yara actually Bernard Durkan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

What is it that the occupy movement hope to achieve by camping out in Eyre Square for months? The only people that pisses off is the locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭squonk

first off, where are you getting 215 people from? We were one of the smallest Occupy groups yet we managed to become the third longest Occupy in the world with an uninterrupted 215 days of occupation (8 long months waiting for people to say they've had enough also)

Ok, I was wrong, but I admitted my figure might have been incorrect in my original post. I also picked what I think is the correct figure of 20-30 of you. I was wrong though in how long you spent in the square. It was over 7 months!
    your startup analogy, however impressive I'm sure ye all knew what ye were doing or had the sufficient skills and supports to do the job ye were hired for.

Yes, we had the skills but we also didn't know an awful lot about what to expect, or how things were going to shape up. It was all pretty much brand new actually so I don't really accept that it's all that different from OG where, I'm sure, there were those who had some experience dealing with media, and others who would ahve been accustomed to dealing with the public who could have shared those skills.
    you can't blame a few random people being left to try organise something none of us had ever been involved in before, while under the same pressures as everyone else with family and either looking for work, working or caring for sick relatives, while trying to engage with media and so many different people at the camp or online, all the while watching the other occupies to see what's happening with them.

That's the same situation we were in. Two of the guys had families and commitments outside the workplace and we also handled financial and media issues also. Infact there isn't really all that much dissimilar from the OG setup, apart from the fact you had more people starting out.
    what you've just shown is that if a handful of people who had the necessary skill set but were out of work at the time or even spared a few hours a week while working, could have come into Occupy and helped our infrastructure, gotten the core of our objectives written, at least to a medium level of functionality and had a clear plan at that stage of milestones we needed to hit to launch six months after that.

I fail to see your point here. Surely as a group even over the space of a week you would have brainstormed, gotten your objectives together and written. What infrastructure did you need? You get your tents up, got heat and food together. What else after that? You also got free food and donations, so you achieve this aspect but there were 20-30 of you so why on eartch couldn't you, over 7 months, achieve any of the sorts of things we managed within the first week, namely forming a plan, breaking the plan into goals and identifying key steps required to achieve each goal?
    Occupy has definitely started up more debate since it arrived on the scene than was out there before it. all it took was one day of a recent poster campaign to reignite the whole occupy debate and after 9 reports in local newspapers over the course of 2 weeks, 2 front page stories and a successful return to eyre square on May 16th with Garda present from 10am until 12pm even though we had all gone home by 8.30pm! We are all delighted with the amount of debate going on but saddened that people are still happy to commit so much to this thread but no way would they join their fellow Irish people and try start something.

You still haven't answered my question, namely what do you feel you learned from the experience over your seven months in Eyre Square? What do you feel now that you would do differently in hindsight having learned from the experience? What type of preparation would you put in place before your next attempt to occupy the square, or anywhere else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 man3003

Because I pointed out I live in a republic??

How is that trolling, you're slogan is sticking up for the 99%, I simply pointed out with 99% support you could actually run for office and change things properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Now that yara has departed these shores, any chances of answers about Occupy Galway (vague or otherwise) have gone out the window.

Picking apart their posts will do little good now, so the only question that remains is, 'if you were in the same position as the members of Occupy Galway, what would you do?'

Any reasonable suggestions will hopefully be seen and potentially embraced by people from O.G, without any need for challenge or bickering.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,032 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

'if you were in the same position as the members of Occupy Galway, what would you do?'

Get a job. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Get a job. :D

Damn, I was kinda asking for that... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

what laws of "ours" did we break?

For a start:

Planning and Development Act 1963 and Regulations (as amended)
    Environmental Protection Agency Act 1992
    Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act 1994
    Litter Pollution Act 1997
    Protection of the Environment Act 2003
    Housing (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2002

how did we violate the square exactly?

See above, and also you erected a big lump of an ugly structure on a site and prevented free access to the site, where 100% of the people (not 99%, or 1%) of this country have access as of right. You made a mess and polluted the area. You damaged the image of a town which relies heavily on income generated from visitors and inward investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

churchview wrote: »
    For a start:

Planning and Development Act 1963 and Regulations (as amended)
    Environmental Protection Agency Act 1992
    Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act 1994
    Litter Pollution Act 1997
    Protection of the Environment Act 2003
    Housing (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2002

See above, and also you erected a big lump of an ugly structure on a site and prevented free access to the site, where 100% of the people (not 99%, or 1%) of this country have access as of right. You made a mess and polluted the area. You damaged the image of a town which relies heavily on income generated from visitors and inward investment.

It was ghastly. How dare they exercise their right to free assembly. Those smelly hippies should keep their heads down and know their place.

It was ghastly. How dare they exercise their right to free assembly. Those smelly hippies should keep their heads down and know their place.
    Damn right.* :D

*Got the sarcasm. Chose to interpret it as written. Well put.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

It was ghastly. How dare they exercise their right to free assembly.

Freedom of Assembly is entirely different to what OG did. They occupied (the clue is in the name) public property and excluded others from it. In fact, they preventing others from assembling there should they have chosen to.

It's also worth noting that Freedom of Assembly is not an absolute right. While it is constitutionally protected, there are limitations to its exercise in the interest of the common good i.e. the 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Right to free assembly is one thing but rights to squat is another. Do you believe that if i get a group of people together i can use my right to free assembly to setup a nice little holiday camp on the square, use if for as long as i need and then vacate leaving the city to pick up the cleaning bill?

I will justify myself by coming up with a manifesto to increase taxation, but unlike Occupy i would also heavily petition cuts to public spending such as pensions amd social welfare payments that are completely unsustainable. I would then put forward a candidate in the local by elections based on this manifesto and also put forward a candidate for the general election. If i can garner even a small percentage of the support OG claim to have, then it should be easy for me to elected representatives in the city council and the Dail whereby i could then actually affect change.

Alternative i could just sit there rent free, drinking tea and smoking weed, wondering what to do and hoping someone would drop in with some good ideas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,491 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I'd say this thread has run it's course seeing as the only member of the Re-occupy movement is gone!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement