Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-Occupy Galway discussion [Mod warning in post #1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭yara

zarquon wrote: »
    There was no force because they had no choice. Would the protestors have left peaceably if only 1 or 2 gardai showed up? It took overwhelming numbers of Gardai to get them to leave without resistance.

therefore, not forcibly removed at all

10 garda would have remove the 9 people there, no need for multiples of that showing up

next

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Arguing the semantics over what qualifies as being "forcibly removed" is a bit pointless, adds nothing to the thread or OG's purpose, they were removed through a show of force by the gardai after repeated requests to leave were ignored, thankfully no physical force was required...calling a spade a spade, that's pretty much what happened, correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Arguing the semantics over what qualifies as being "forcibly removed" is a bit pointless, adds nothing to the thread or OG's purpose, they were removed through a show of force by the gardai after repeated requests to leave were ignored, thankfully no physical force was required...calling a spade a spade, that's pretty much what happened, correct?

Very correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭squonk

yara wrote: »
    we weren't forcibly removed though, 100 garda swooped in to remove 9 protestors at 4 in the morning, shutting down all roads into eyre square until they got everyone out of the camp, there was no standoff so where was this force used to remove 9 people when seriously outnumbered by garda everywhere??

You mentioned before that there were 20-30 of you, so where where the other 11-21 when this removal was going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

biko wrote: »
    Once the tents and some pallets had been shipped off and the place swept by council workers brought in, that was it.
    Anyway, I think we may be getting bogged down in semantics.
    Once you have pointed out this vandalism with a source or a link perhaps I hope we can move on.

Twenty tents surrounded by a wall of pallets is a pretty enormous structure to me. Just because you don't find that offensive or destructive doesn't mean that I and others aren't entitled to think that it is.

We're not really getting bogged down in semantics. What we are disagreeing on is our perception of what was erected and it seems that we will just have to disagree on that.

As to the tents and pallets being gotten rid of. How much did it cost to do that and why should taxpayers have to get rid of it? Rhetorical question by the way; I don't want or need links to prove it one way or the other.

• Advertisement

Afaik they actually made the square safer during their stay since the scummers stayed away.
    Do you contest it? Do you mean they made it less safe or about the same as before?

I don't contest the first half of your sentence i.e. that the square may have been safer.

we weren't forcibly removed though, 100 garda swooped in to remove 9 protestors at 4 in the morning

Why did OG repeatedly say that each tent was occupied on a nightly basis and that there were 30 full time members present in the square?

How did OG impact the common good? Were they a danger to the public?

I think it would be the generally held view that they had no impact whatsoever in either advancing or regressing the common good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

churchview wrote: »
    I think it would be the generally held view that they had no impact whatsoever in either advancing or regressing the common good.

On a purely social point, I'd consider making the square safer at night advancing the common good.
    I actually thought the camp looked pretty tidy and I would take looking at some tents over less safe if that were a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,465 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

They did make the square feel safer. They also went around picking up all the bottles, cans etc that were abandoned by the people who were using the square for leisure.
    Still confused about their aims though but I had no problem with them being there and the camp was far from being an 'eyesore'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

So am I safe to assume that we're all in agreement, that whilst Occupy Galway were good groundskeepers, janitors and trouble deterrents; they were not good protesters?

Think you got it in one RHG.

So am I safe to assume that we're all in agreement, that whilst Occupy Galway were good groundskeepers, janitors and trouble deterrents; they were not good protesters?

Nope :-) to the first bit at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

It sure is nice having the bike rack and the whole space back in public use.

Probably not all in agreement, no :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

inisboffin wrote: »
    Probably not all in agreement, no :)

Ah Jaysus. A man can but dream so... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I don't know about you guys, but I'd expect my groundskeeper to cut the grass rather than smoke it ;)

wexie wrote: »
    I don't know about you guys, but I'd expect my groundskeeper to cut the grass rather than smoke it ;)

You obviously don't know that many landscape gardener or horticulturalists! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Cleahaigh

I remember the mounds of dead murdered bodies that regularly accumulated on Eyre Square before the occupy-heroes arrived on the scene. Yup, I sure do.

Cleahaigh wrote: »
    I remember the mounds of dead murdered bodies that regularly accumulated on Eyre Square before the occupy-heroes arrived on the scene. Yup, I sure do.

to say nobody ever got mugged, beat up, seriously injured in or around eyre sq is ridiculous! we stopped many of the above from happening and would be on record for having reported a lot of incidences with the garda over the 215 days and nights ;)

• Advertisement

Cleahaigh wrote: »

Nah. That was before they turned it into a 'Plaza'. They killed lots of birds with one big stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭squonk

@Yara, please answer the question that was posed by myself and another poster. You said that there were 20-30 fulltime members in the OG tents in the square. Why then, when the Gardai arrived to forcibly remove you, were only 9 members of OG forcibly removed? It was early enough in the morning that the others were hardly in work?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

to say nobody ever got mugged, beat up, seriously injured in or around eyre sq is ridiculous! we stopped many of the above from happening and would be on record for having reported a lot of incidences with the garda over the 215 days and nights ;)

The point of the protest was to effect drastic changes in Ireland's social and economic policy, not make your encampment safe. The fact that you keep referencing the safety of the square during your tenure is a moot point. If that is the only success of your camp that you can proclaim, then by default you are admitting it was a failure as it acheived no other objective other than making the square a bit safer at night.

Based on this premise, you should try to occupy parts of Castle Park and westside next

squonk wrote: »
    @Yara, please answer the question that was posed by myself and another poster. You said that there were 20-30 fulltime members in the OG tents in the square. Why then, when the Gardai arrived to forcibly remove you, were only 9 members of OG forcibly removed? It was early enough in the morning that the others were hardly in work?

i never once said that there were 20 - 30 full-time occupiers on camp 24 hours a day, 7 days a week...

i never once said that there were 20 - 30 full-time occupiers on camp 24 hours a day, 7 days a week...

You did not but OG repeatedly stated that there were 30 full time members. If there were only 9 people present when the camp was evicted then that means a lot of those tents were empty and that the figures OG repeatedly banded about are, like most of what they say, complete and utter crap.

zarquon wrote: »
    The point of the protest was to effect drastic changes in Ireland's social and economic policy, not make your encampment safe. The fact that you keep referencing the safety of the square during your tenure is a moot point. If that is the only success of your camp that you can proclaim, then by default you are admitting it was a failure as it acheived no other objective other than making the square a bit safer at night.

Based on this premise, you should try to occupy parts of Castle Park and westside next

if the lord came down from the heavens it really wouldn't suit some people

You did not but OG repeatedly stated that there were 30 full time members. If there were only 9 people present when the camp was evicted then that means a lot of those tents were empty and that the figures OG repeatedly banded about are, like most of what they say, complete and utter crap.

ya know what man, go stick your trolling $hit up your arse!!

there were about 30 fulltime occupiers and each and every night we struggled to cover night security so don't you fcuking dare try to tell me anything about occupy you pedantic p***k!!

i'm delighted some of you never came near the camp cos quite frankly we had enough cnuts to be dealing with most days without having more of ye thrown in

Mod note: user banned

ya know what man, go stick your trolling $hit up your arse!!

there were about 30 fulltime occupiers and each and every night we struggled to cover night security so don't you fcuking dare try to tell me anything about occupy you pedantic p***k!!

i'm delighted some of you never came near the camp cos quite frankly we had enough cnuts to be dealing with most days without having more of ye thrown in

Having displayed such eloquence as you have here, it is inexplicable how you couldn't get others to join your "movement". Clearly we, the sheep, are to blame for not responding to your call.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

haha, this thread just keeps on giving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

if the lord came down from the heavens it really wouldn't suit some people

That's just strange:confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement