Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-Occupy Galway discussion [Mod warning in post #1]

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

yara wrote: »
    if the lord came down from the heavens it really wouldn't suit some people

Ah now ye arent claiming hes one of the 99% too are ye?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Maybe he was occupying one of the tents or maybe just the big tabernacle they setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I don't think Yara was answering all the questions, but I also did think the mood was verging on bullying of one poster. It is the internets though, and that's the kind of stuff that goes on. Surprised there wasn't a blow up and a ban earlier to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

inisboffin wrote: »
    I don't think Yara was answering all the questions, but I also did think the mood was verging on bullying of one poster. It is the internets though, and that's the kind of stuff that goes on. Surprised there wasn't a blow up and a ban earlier to be honest.

In fairness Yara started the thread, and from day one wouldnt answer any straight questions and instead just childishly insulted people (me included), perfectly willing to dish it out but take no criticism in return, people in OG's position need to be open to criticism and other ideas but when not offering any of their own its just a weirdly baffling situation. Bullying is a bit much if you ask me.

In fairness Yara started the thread, and from day one wouldnt answer any straight questions and instead just childishly insulted people (me included), perfectly willing to dish it out but take no criticism in return, people in OG's position need to be open to criticism and other ideas but when not offering any of their own its just a weirdly baffling situation. Bullying is a bit much if you ask me.

Yeah, I've read the thread, and the insults were coming from all corners to my eyes. When it is mostly one poster responding to multiple directions though, I think it is much harder to not jump to the defensive (and eventually a blow up!).
    If you read my post I did say verging on bullying (that would be the difference of 'a bit' in your 'a bit much' to me) and I still think that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Yara ignored a good number of questions of substance, while seemingly wanting to be taken seriously as some kind of voice, if not spokesperson, of/for Occupy Galway... preferring instead to harp on about a small number of points that did not seem relevant, or certainly did not seem as relevant, as those questions of substance.

I think this produced some frustration for those looking for meaningful responses from a person proud, even boastful, of raising awareness & getting debate going on the Occupy Galway phenomenon.

However, largely, what may have seemed behavior verging on bullying was merely the posing again & again of key questions mixed with pointing out that some wordy responses given did not actually do anything like answer those very same key questions.

Sorry, I could write the above in a better way but I'm just too busy to do so right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Well, they say God is omnipresent... so he... sorry, He... occupies everywhere.

However, largely, what may have seemed behavior verging on bullying was merely the posing again & again of key questions mixed with pointing out that some wordy responses given did not actually do anything like answer those very same key questions.

I think you're probably right in terms of where it was coming from with most people, but the end result as a whole in the thread did have a certain tone because of that.

I think you're probably right in terms of where it was coming from with most people, but the end result as a whole in the thread did have a certain tone because of that.

I think it's rather unfair to say there there was a hint of bullying to this thread. Myself and a number of others repeatedly tried to engage with yara and create debate but he or she refused to. Anytime a question was put to them they either ignored it, told us to google it or resorted to veiled insults.

I asked yara to clarify just how many people were permanently staying at the camp as OG repeatedly stated that there were 3 full time members yet when the Guards removed them there were only 9 in occupancy. yara's response to my question was this rather nasty tirade.
    yara wrote: »
    ya know what man, go stick your trolling $hit up your arse!!

there were about 30 fulltime occupiers and each and every night we struggled to cover night security so don't you fcuking dare try to tell me anything about occupy you pedantic p***k!!

i'm delighted some of you never came near the camp cos quite frankly we had enough cnuts to be dealing with most days without having more of ye thrown in

Mod note: user banned

I think it's rather unfair to say there there was a hint of bullying to this thread.

Well we differ. I've said why I think the tone was verging on it, and I stand by it having just reread the whole lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Okay. I think we're about done here.

From it's inception, this thread was destined to be a bumpy ride. Having two very strong willed and often stubborn sides hashing it out over a topic, whilst logic sometimes went out the window, along with civil tones, was always going to be a hotbed of aggression and arguments.

I'd like to think that there will come a time, when all the answers can be given to those who seek them, regarding Occupy Galway and their motives. Unfortunately, this is not that time. If and when Occupy Galway 3.0 rolls around, we might be able to sit down and attempt to discuss this again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement