Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-Occupy Galway discussion [Mod warning in post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

I think we should organise a water balloon fight for 11.45am, it'd be more useful than occupy as it'd get some cleaning done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭yara

antoobrien wrote: »
    I think we should organise a water balloon fight for 11.45am, it'd be more useful than occupy as it'd get some cleaning done.

11.45 you say, i look forward to it, see you all there so, I'll see if they'll add it to the event page now so we can let everyone know

wow, fight occupiers tooth and nail online but would you all be as quick to email your local councillors, national politicians when they make decision that effect us alone

that is a rhetorical question because after years of this craic i know the answer

yara wrote: »
    wow, fight occupiers tooth and nail online but would you all be as quick to email your local councillors, national politicians when they make decision that effect us alone

We'd have to disagree with the decisions or the reasons behind them, at least they are elected to those positions, not self appointed, indeed annointed, representatives of the "people."

Most of the responses here have been dismissive, the anti whatever march a few weeks ago was a farce, so try taking the hint.

antoobrien wrote: »
    We'd have to disagree with the decisions or the reasons behind them, at least they are elected to those positions, not self appointed, indeed annointed, representatives of the "people."

Most of the responses here have been dismissive, the anti whatever march a few weeks ago was a farce, so try taking the hint.

you are correct that most responses have been dismissive but that don't mean they're all correct and the same goes for that piece in the city tribune, he could have saved those precious column inches for a greater cause if he just bothered to ask.

how i lol'd when i read his grossly misinformed and pig ignorant editorial.

• Advertisement

you are correct that most responses have been dismissive but that don't mean they're all correct and the same goes for that piece in the city tribune, he could have saved those precious column inches for a greater cause if he just bothered to ask.

how i lol'd when i read his grossly misinformed and pig ignorant editorial.

Pig ignorant describes something but it's not the factual opinion piece (very definitely not an editorial, learn the difference), but does fairly accurately describe the attitude shown by the o.p. in the showing the o.g. trait of point blank refusing to answer a question.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

i never said i'd have the answers and if you're waiting for someone to spoonfeed you there in lies the problem. the occupy was never going to sort everything out either, we are here to encourage and facilitate debate and protests in city centres across the planet.

I repeat, it is you that's confused as to what occupy is all about.

Again this is why nobody supports ye, ye are a self appointed rabble of 'spokespeople for the people', you werent asked to speak for us and when the people disagree with ye ye simply deflect what they are saying and ramble on about 'spoonfeeding' or 'the problem' or some other vague words in the wind, clearly not answering direct and very easy questions. Id have far more or some respect for a group that had an actual purpose and set of goals as opposed to one which loosely affilliates to whatever the popular cause of the day is like ye do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Is there a facebook page for this event? Link please?

Edit: Nevermind I found it https://www.facebook.com/events/301733013295963/

So according to that 4 people are going haha. Judging by the stuff written on it I'm guessing you are in control of that FB page yara? Can I ask were you involved with the last occupy galway mess? Do you know how it ended? This doesn't seem to have the momentum the last one had at the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, i hope your protest tomorrow goes well, we alll have a right to protest.

But i also hope that you observe the laws re public space camping, and leave the area clean when you go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭squonk

Please just occupy your respective houses tomorrow. It's lovely in the city at the moment with the beautiful weather and the square is looking very well indeed. It'd be a shame to see a dirty camp appear again in one corner for such an aimless, rambling, useless purpose.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Clearly you're getting too much money on the dole if this is how you spend your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

It's difficult to see Occupy Galway as anything other than representing a small percentage of people (unless one allows Occupy to represent the views of people that Occupy say are asleep). As such, it is merely a fringe quasi-organisation & deserves no more special treatment on Eyre Square than any fringe group of people who think they have the interests of the public at heart... Scientologists, fans of Ayn Rand or Tony Robbins, hardcore xenophobic ultra-nationalists, for example.

I'm not sure if I'd oppose picketing everyday, however setting up camp is more than a bit of 'special-one'-ness.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,491 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Not this nonsense again.

Why not set up camp on mutton island. It'll be just as useful and nobody will bother you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

If the good people of Occupy had the decency to take a sample of 1000 residents of Galway city and ask if they wanted to be reoccupied, would they respect their opinion if 99% of them said no ?

I doubt it, self appointed ideologues. When no one votes for them they turn up in your city, calling you ignorant and corporatist if you disagree.

Poor Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,491 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I'll bring in some tinfoil if I'm passing the square on Sunday. If you're still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

we are here to encourage and facilitate debate and protests in city centres across the planet.

Did that happen last time? Must've missed that...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Jez I missed that as well and I would not mind all the times I was in the Square

endacl wrote: »
    Did that happen last time? Must've missed that...

yes, you must have missed it cos it raised a serious debate that still mumbles on today. the proof is in how much the worldwide occupy movement is still discussed on a regular basis in the media and amongst people online or in the real world. good bad or indifferent it's definately being debated

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

yes, you must have missed it cos it raised a serious debate that still mumbles on today. the proof is in how much the worldwide occupy movement is still discussed on a regular basis in the media and amongst people online or in the real world. good bad or indifferent it's definately being debated

Delusion: A delusion is a belief held with strong conviction despite conflicting evidence to the contrary.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Those debates were happening long before crustypalooza. Occupy in Ireland was counterproductive, if anything. I'm broadly sympathetic to many of the arguments put forward. Many people's reaction to the protest though was 'those idiots? I disagree with whatever they're camping out about'. TBH, in Ireland, Occupy just looked like a bunch of disaffected whingers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

are you 5 years old by any chance??

I thought an Ambassador of the occupy movement would be more diplomatic...

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    I thought an Ambassador of the occupy movement would be more diplomatic...

I don't really undertand your context?

it was an honest question as the poster was acting extreemly childish imo

where was i being undiplomatic?

i'm not the one flipping out cos some people want to setup a space on public space to encourage and facilitate debate about which effects each and every one of us. there's absolutely no need to take it as a personal insult. that's the last thing any occupier wants to make ye feel.

if some of ye could hear yourselves ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

yara,
    I'm not knocking you, your methods or your ideology and I'm not going to go into statistics to prove my point, but judging by the amount of supportive posts you've received on here, how much support do you think you will receive from the wider public?
    Very, very little of the 99%, I'd imagine

yara,
    I'm not knocking you, your methods or your ideology and I'm not going to go into statistics to prove my point, but judging by the amount of supportive posts you've received on here, how much support do you think you will receive from the wider public?

Im pretty sure at this point that questions are not entertained by our esteemed leader from Occupy. Numerous people have tried and failed to get an answer on various questions so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 R1200RT

What complete time wasting dribble. If the occupy group is so concerned about the injustices of 'the system' then execute a plan to improve it. Sitting around is for the under-achievers.

Paying taxes has been suggested! Or if you can't find a job (either because of 'the system' or simply because you haven't looked), then how about you put on a yellow jacket and voluntarily clean up Eyre Square for a couple of days a week?

That sort of initiative and enthusiasm would positively encourage the population and attract the attention of any employer which in turn will provide an income; generate taxes and state revenue; and subsequently fund capital projects that will create more employment.

If your best solution is to sit around defacing public amenities, then do it outside of Eyre Square, outside of Galway, and outside of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭keyboard_cat

Bunch of idiots who need a hobby that dosnt infringe upon other people

yara,

cheers

surprisingly we get so much support from people in reality that it does make it all worth while

if boards was the true guage of anythjng we'd all he screwed, some seriously messed up posts in all forums with some extreemly bad minded posters out there, present company excepted of course

Im pretty sure at this point that questions are not entertained by our esteemed leader from Occupy. Numerous people have tried and failed to get an answer on various questions so far.

there is no leader in occupy, even you should know this by now like ;)

Bunch of idiots who need a hobby that dosnt infringe upon other people

how does occupy infringe you exactly?

• Advertisement

how does occupy infringe you exactly?

Why dont you answer the questions youve been asked instead of pointlessly responding to all the negativity aimed at Occupy. Might give people some insight into what ye do or what your goals are etc. Wont hold my breath.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement