Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-Occupy Galway discussion [Mod warning in post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Dani Pacheco

Ah lads... bunk-the-wire.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭yara

R1200RT wrote: »
    What complete time wasting dribble. If the occupy group is so concerned about the injustices of 'the system' then execute a plan to improve it. Sitting around is for the under-achievers.

Paying taxes has been suggested! Or if you can't find a job (either because of 'the system' or simply because you haven't looked), then how about you put on a yellow jacket and voluntarily clean up Eyre Square for a couple of days a week?

That sort of initiative and enthusiasm would positively encourage the population and attract the attention of any employer which in turn will provide an income; generate taxes and state revenue; and subsequently fund capital projects that will create more employment.

If your best solution is to sit around defacing public amenities, then do it outside of Eyre Square, outside of Galway, and outside of Ireland.

man if we all had a euro for everytine we cleaned up around us while we were camped up in eyre square we'd be well off

we got organic cleaning fluids to scrub the square down on a regular basis very early many mornings over the 215 days of occupation so i can take personal offence to your weak assed condescending attitude

we also broke up and prevented many fights and arguments almost every night with considerable risk to our personal safety all of which garda woukd testify too no bother.

with the amount of physical support we had from the public we did so much more than most of ye could comprehend unless ye were there yourselves ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭keyboard_cat

yara wrote: »
    how does occupy infringe you exactly?

Because what you are doing is monopolizing a section of the square which is for everyone for a cause that is supported by a minority of people
    We might as well have neo natzi's burning swastikas into the green area

Why dont you answer the questions youve been asked instead of pointlessly responding to all the negativity aimed at Occupy. Might give people some insight into what ye do or what your goals are etc. Wont hold my breath.

now you're really coming showing your true colours with this post.

if you have to ask again what the goals of the occuoy movement are you are truly scraping the barrel mate

man if we all had a euro for everytine we cleaned up around us while we were camped up in eyre square we'd be well off

we got organic cleaning fluids to scrub the square down on a regular basis very early many mornings over the 215 days of occupation so i can take personal offence to your weak assed condescending attitude

we also broke up and prevented many fights and arguments almost every night with considerable risk to our personal safety all of which garda woukd testify too no bother.

with the amount of physical support we had from the public we did so much more than most of ye could comprehend unless ye were there yourselves ;)

Shocking passed the square at least 4 times a day for the time ye were there never once saw anyone scrubbing it (unless it was within ur walls) and i passed early every morning never once saw anyone cleaning (although I can only assume 8 am is to early for ye)
    I can only assume the fights were people fighting with ye telling ye to piss off!

• Advertisement

Because what you are doing is monopolizing a section of the square which is for everyone for a cause that is supported by a minority of people
    We might as well have neo natzi's burning swastikas into the green area

wow, you sure know how to make a proverbial mountain out of a molehill with your neo-nazi madness!!

were you all upset when the square was ripped up, the canons, Padraig o connaire and trees being removed from the previously beautiful and old school square, to the tune of millions way over budget and schedule? a proper disaster that was!!

Shocking passed the square at least 4 times a day for the time ye were there never once saw anyone scrubbing it (unless it was within ur walls) and i passed early every morning never once saw anyone cleaning (although I can only assume 8 am is to early for ye)
    I can only assume the fights were people fighting with ye telling ye to piss off!

you can assume nothing when it comes to the galway occupy, there was a 24 presence in the camp with security needed and why should women and the protestors be protected from drunk fools who wouldn't know where or to channel their anger towards if it was to save their lives.

we saved people from muggings, gave out directions and info to anybody who needed it, had the craic with people who would bake for us or drop round huge pots of stews and would come back again days later to pick up their utensils, food from local business's, received donations of all sorts, met the best and worst of people, had debates, got shouted at and physically threatened for no good reason ever, "did our best dealing with issues bigger than any one if us" if i may paraphrase another occupier

say what ye like but everyone of us maintain it was a positive and thoroughly enjoyable experience to be part of. PLUR

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

wow, you sure know how to make a proverbial mountain out of a molehill with your neo-nazi madness!!

were you all upset when the square was ripped up, the canons, Padraig o connaire and trees being removed from the previously beautiful and old school square, to the tune of millions way over budget and schedule? a proper disaster that was!!

Don't think anyone would argue that the revitalisation of the Square was well managed, but you couldn't argue that the campsite is asthetically pleasing either. Could you?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,159 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

now you're really coming showing your true colours with this post.

if you have to ask again what the goals of the occuoy movement are you are truly scraping the barrel mate

So for the 4th time you have failed to answer a straight question, you can deflect away with your childish comebacks and weird sayings as much as you like but you are clearly unable to state what purpose ye have.

Ive clearly said i believe ye to be a mixed up, confused bunch with no clear plans, ive asked you what your plans are, ive asked have ye a system to replace the one you want removed, you have done nothing but deflect the questions and only say 'oh well i dont have the answers'. What more can i do with such an obstinate character who refuses to engage in any two way conversation without resorting to childishness.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭dantbyhid

after the recent crackdown on peaceful protest in Istanbul and the sudden revolution that spread across the country in a matter of hours all the Occupys of the world are coming back tomorrow at 12 because the system we exist under is just getting worse.

No need to complicate things, if you keep your head down you facilitate the system but if you dare try to stand up for yourself in Istanbul or Rossport you get the full force of the law down on you protecting business interests all the way.

Hindsight is on our side so seek the truth or bury your heads in the sand, both require digging but only one decision requires ignorance in spades

Cool, good luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Bank bailout was just over €60 billion. National debt is now heading for €200 billion. We are the 1.8million workers trying to support the 2.4 million non workers. Please leave our square alone and let us enjoy it for what might be the only fine week of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Credit to all who have contributed to this thread, got a good laugh out of it.

Bank bailout was just over €60 billion. National debt is now heading for €200 billion. We are the 1.8million workers trying to support the 2.4 million non workers. Please leave our square alone and let us enjoy it for what might be the only fine week of the year.

we supposedly turned a corner at 6 or 8,000,000,000, remember that all the way back in 08? your figures alone should be enough to show you we need to be doing a lot more than we are currently doing to resist this debt madness

• Registered Users Posts: 25 R1200RT

Yes, let's do alot more. Let's sit around Eyre Square at the taxpayers expense polluting a public space chanting useless chants. That'll do it!

you can assume nothing when it comes to the galway occupy, there was a 24 presence in the camp with security needed and why should women and the protestors be protected from drunk fools who wouldn't know where or to channel their anger towards if it was to save their lives.

we saved people from muggings, gave out directions and info to anybody who needed it, had the craic with people who would bake for us or drop round huge pots of stews and would come back again days later to pick up their utensils, food from local business's, received donations of all sorts, met the best and worst of people, had debates, got shouted at and physically threatened for no good reason ever, "did our best dealing with issues bigger than any one if us" if i may paraphrase another occupier

say what ye like but everyone of us maintain it was a positive and thoroughly enjoyable experience to be part of. PLUR

So does that sum up everything ye did? Because I thought ye were meant to change things? Not just sit around eat food and take donations that ye probably smoked! We don't need ye for directions there is a tourist information center right beside the camp I refuse to believe anyone would mug another person right outside your camp day or night people have more sense then that and I think it's amazing that ye would accept any sort of donations or food from anyone considering all ye did was sit on ur asses and collect ur dole and managed to get a years worth of accomadiation for the cost of a tent. To be honest ye should be ashamed pretending to have a cause and accepting donations is a **** thing to do when there a people in actual need

are you're sure about that? you do realise 1,700,000 of us have less than €100 at the end of the month, add that to the 450,000+ on the dole or in college with no prospects of work and to the 300,000+ who emigrated and you're calling the 99% a myth.

have you seen the lives of those who created this mess reduced to mere existences? so many Irish exist now to collect dole or wages and hand out every penny of it on bills that have steadily increased over the last 5 years. this is not living

Do you realize if you live in a tent for a year and collect 200 euro dole a week and get food donations, you only have 800 left at the end of the month to smoke??!!!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭conor1979

really? there's nothing you would change about it? all your friends, family etc are completely unaffected by the system??

"The System???"

No matter what system you have in place everyone is going to be affected by it. Its what you make of it that counts.

My friends and family are doing fine as they have worked hard all their lives instead of waiting for an excuse to sit around and make a kip out of the local public square!

https://www.facebook.com/events/301733013295963/

Did that yara fella take down the event or is it just not coming up for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Okay guys. We're getting a bit personal here. Dial it down a notch please.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

we supposedly turned a corner at 6 or 8,000,000,000, remember that all the way back in 08? your figures alone should be enough to show you we need to be doing a lot more than we are currently doing to resist this debt madness

a good start might be to cut all benefits off anyone who occupies our square

• Advertisement

Not going to go all fire & brimstone about this like some are, and some have, but I think there's more effective ways to protest than this. If the guards feel the need to remove you, they do so in my name. And don't insult my intelligence by calling me "asleep", "a sheep" or whatever. Drives a wedge between us which I don't want to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Well, ... did the hippies manage to get out of bed to start their 'protest'

Btw, can it be said that 'RE-occupy Galway' is 'returning' when the origional sit around was called 'occupy Galway'?

Surely either 'occupy Galway is returning' or 'RE-occupy Galway is taking place'?!? :p

Not going to go all fire & brimstone about this like some are, and some have, but I think there's more effective ways to protest than this. If the guards feel the need to remove you, they do so in my name. And don't insult my intelligence by calling me "asleep", "a sheep" or whatever. Drives a wedge between us which I don't want to see.

so what do you suggest then?? are you going to do us all a favour and go ahead and organise it so people can join a much more effective way to protest. if half of you experts got off your ar$e$ instead of pointing at us and saying you know better, all the while doing nothing yourselves, we would be so happy to see you all implement all your wonderful ideas

So does that sum up everything ye did? Because I thought ye were meant to change things? Not just sit around eat food and take donations that ye probably smoked! We don't need ye for directions there is a tourist information center right beside the camp I refuse to believe anyone would mug another person right outside your camp day or night people have more sense then that and I think it's amazing that ye would accept any sort of donations or food from anyone considering all ye did was sit on ur asses and collect ur dole and managed to get a years worth of accomadiation for the cost of a tent. To be honest ye should be ashamed pretending to have a cause and accepting donations is a **** thing to do when there a people in actual need

no it doesn't and you are in no way contributing to this thread, you have a blatent agenda and it has been reported! i'm not replying to your bull$hit anymore

people are allowed peaceful assembly and protest in this country! hiw dare you make such an ignorant suggestion!!

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Well, ... did the hippies manage to get out of bed to start their 'protest'

Btw, can it be said that 'RE-occupy Galway' is 'returning' when the origional sit around was called 'occupy Galway'?

Surely either 'occupy Galway is returning' or 'RE-occupy Galway is taking place'?!? :p

what the fcuk are you on about?? trolling hits a new low

Oh great. Just what Galway needs again. Any chance you could go occupy a field in Connemara? You'd make as big an impact, without being a nuisance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Why not! Let the authorities impose a hefty property tax on the tents at eyre square - €188 per week should be sufficient.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

people are allowed peaceful assembly and protest in this country! hiw dare you make such an ignorant suggestion!!

The assumption has to be made that the vast majority of people who have the time to sit around for a year "protesting" and would have the hunger to "protest" are young, unemployed and on job seekers allowance.

So, if you are not actively seeking employment, then yes, your allowance should be cut.

The simple fact that you live in a society that gives you enough free money in your pocket that your only concern in life is to be involved in this occupy nonsense, targeting abstract foes like "the bankers" or Capitalism speaks volumes. If you had to search dumps for your dinner on a daily basis you might have something to protest about, but until then shut the **** up.

Your protest has no goal. What do you want? Someone to hand you a well paid job on a silver platter? Well tough ****!

• Advertisement

The assumption has to be made that the vast majority of people who have the time to sit around for a year "protesting" and would have the hunger to "protest" are young, unemployed and on job seekers allowance.

So, if you are not actively seeking employment, then yes, your allowance should be cut.

The simple fact that you live in a society that gives you enough free money in your pocket that your only concern in life is to be involved in this occupy nonsense, targeting abstract foes like "the bankers" or Capitalism speaks volumes. If you had to search dumps for your dinner on a daily basis you might have something to protest about, but until then shut the **** up.

Your protest has no goal. What do you want? Someone to hand you a well paid job on a silver platter? Well tough ****!

you come across as a right lovely person you do

xx

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement