Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-Occupy Galway discussion [Mod warning in post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Well ye have a nice day for it anyway. Don't forget the factor 50...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,159 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

yara wrote: »
    you come across as a right lovely person you do

xx

Still dodging the questions asked i see.

Surely this thread has run its course, its pointless, yara fails to respond to any question asked of him/her as an Occupy representative and therefore its just a pointless back and forth exercise which has been done a million times with these.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 R1200RT

It's a great skill, alright. Perhaps OP is actually a Politician, or a Priest...?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Everyone, if you can't post without attempting to insult another poster/person then don't post at all

Sure is a fine day today :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,159 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

R1200RT wrote: »
    It's a great skill, alright. Perhaps OP is actually a Politician, or a Priest...?

Ironically enough if they put their energies into organising themselves into some sort of coherent political entity they might actually have relevance and they clearly have the question/issue dodging down to an art.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

people are allowed peaceful assembly and protest in this country! hiw dare you make such an ignorant suggestion!!

no more ignorant than camping in our square claiming to represent the 99% when you clearly don't. Ps the dole is only for job seekers. If you are camping in the square you are not looking for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Just passed Eyre Square full of tourists enjoying the sun and our beautiful City,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

It seems the facebook event has been deleted. I was hoping for an update on what was happening since I'm not in Galway.....

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

anyone know is these donkeys showed up?
    i doubt it, usually them gang dont wake up till at least 1pm!

Mod note: user banned, don't be next

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

antoobrien wrote: »
    The short version is that if you want to hold back one cent of senior bondholder money, you have to hold back far more depositor money as they have to have the same proportional hit (and senior bonds have always ranked higher than deposits). Think about that for a second - the calls to burn all senior bonds would have resulting in wiping out up to €100bn (household deposits peaked at 99.4bn in 2009) of money that was deposited by private households. The Irish Central bank has a fund of about €300m to cover the deposit guarantee scheme, meaning that would have left a lot of families short of money.
    The thing is, for the vast majority of Irish people who, as has been demonstrated have basically no savings anyway, letting Irish banks collapse would have made very little difference. If you've €100 left at the end of every month, how does it help to ram cash into the same banks to the tune of added taxes/service cuts amounting to more than that for the rest of your life?

• Advertisement

No problem with protesters myself, but once they made their case they should move on. If you don't convince people of your cause on day 1, clogging up Eyre Square for months isn't going to get you any extra support.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    The thing is, for the vast majority of Irish people who, as has been demonstrated have basically no savings anyway, letting Irish banks collapse would have made very little difference. If you've €100 left at the end of every month, how does it help to ram cash into the same banks to the tune of added taxes/service cuts amounting to more than that for the rest of your life?

I think the real question is whether you would have more or less people with €100 or less at the end of the month, were we to have let the banks go. And I think the answer to that, based on the evidence that we've been running the country on BORROWED money for the last 5 years, would point to the bailout being the lesser of two evils. Possibly by a mile.

More power to anyone who wants to get out there and protest but Occupy as a movement is one that is inherently flawed. It's a movement that numerous groups, many with vastly different ideologies jumped upon and used to further their own agenda. The Occupy Galway movement was a perfect example of just how flawed it all was. If you took a trip down you could speak to 5 o 6 people invovled and each one of them would have completely different, and often contradiction political leanings and beliefs. For a movement of this nature to work there needs to be an agenda than all facets stick to. Not a series of groups linked only in name.

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    I think the real question is whether you would have more or less people with €100 or less at the end of the month, were we to have let the banks go. And I think the answer to that, based on the evidence that we've been running the country on BORROWED money for the last 5 years, would point to the bailout being the lesser of two evils. Possibly by a mile.
    I don't have so much problem with the bailout itself, it's the guarantee that proved what a cartel the bankers and the major political parties are running in this country. If banks had been let collapse before it was decided the banker boys needed more pension funds, most people would have lost much much less in the way of savings than they are going to lose now in extra taxes and public service cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Just passed thru the square. A small group of people are hanging out at an open walled gazebo-thingie with an Amnesty International banner. Not sure if they're "Re-occupy" or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭yara

Just passed thru the square. A small group of people are hanging out at an open walled gazebo-thingie with an Amnesty International banner. Not sure if they're "Re-occupy" or not.

and for some reason you felt you couldn't ask??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

She probably doesn't care, like most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

I asked questions of a group with speakers shouting outside the boi on main guard street. They had marched down from the tents in sure square, playing loud music on speakers! I was met with rude language and at one point one of them took a pocketful of change from their pocket and fired it at me. I was sitting out having coffee, I didn't start the conversation. They did. I questioned their motives and was met with hostility.
    I hope we don't have them back on eyre sq or any of our public areas!

ArtyC wrote: »
    at one point one of them took a pocketful of change from their pocket and fired it at me.
    That's actually assault.
    I suppose the "peaceful protest" doesn't officially start until they reach Eyre Square.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

and for some reason you felt you couldn't ask??

Yeah, something to do with needing to catch a bus that was about to leave.

Sheesh ..

• Advertisement

I don't have so much problem with the bailout itself, it's the guarantee that proved what a cartel the bankers and the major political parties are running in this country. If banks had been let collapse before it was decided the banker boys needed more pension funds, most people would have lost much much less in the way of savings than they are going to lose now in extra taxes and public service cuts.

But if we were unable to borrow at the rates we are borrowing at right now, we would be wiping much more off public spending than a few percent here and there. There would be no other choice.

Anyway, the arrogance off posters here in support of the movement is unreal. They sound like spoilt children.

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    But if we were unable to borrow at the rates we are borrowing at right now, we would be wiping much more off public spending than a few percent here and there. There would be no other choice.

Anyway, the arrogance off posters here in support of the movement is unreal. They sound like spoilt children.
    If we hadn't guaranteed private bank deposits we wouldn't be borrowing at the rate we are now either. Do you think our level of debt has gone up or down overall after taking €100 billion to pay off private banking sector debts?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Lovely day here. I'm about to occupy my back garden with a cuppa and a book.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

endacl wrote: »
    Lovely day here. I'm about to occupy my back garden with a cuppa and a book.

everyone off to endacls house. Anyone got a tent

MadYaker wrote: »
    She probably doesn't care, like most people.

cared enough to walk by, take a look and then log in to post about her lack of knowledge regarding whether it was occupy or not, funny that and sums up an awful lot

Yeah, something to do with needing to catch a bus that was about to leave.

Sheesh ..

the last bus ever was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

people are allowed peaceful assembly and protest in this country! hiw dare you make such an ignorant suggestion!!

People can protest peacefully. But sitting in a public place for year with no goal other than to debate isn't much use. You need to have an idea to fix the problem as just removing the current system doesn't work. Look at how well communism worked out.

If there's no banks how do you get your money to have only €100 left at the end of the month? Without banks businesses can't function, therefore there's no jobs and we'll be in a bigger mess than now.
    merkel won't notice what?

http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/blockupy-protest-surrounds-european-central-bank-in-frankfurt-a-902981.html

Thousands of "Blockupy" protesters gathered in Frankfurt on Friday, surrounding the European Central Bank to air their concerns about euro-crisis policies. Both the banks and police were reportedly well-prepared for the anti-capitalist demonstration.

An estimated 2,500 supporters of the anti-capitalist group "Blockupy" demonstrated in the German financial capital of Frankfurt on Friday, blocking access to the European Central Bank (ECB) in protest of euro-crisis austerity policies.

Banging on drums and carrying signs that read slogans such as "Block the ECB -- Fight Capitalism and Austerity" and "Humanity before Profit," the demonstrators cut off roads leading into the downtown financial district.
    "The business operations of the ECB have been successfully hindered," a spokeswoman said, according to the German news agency DPA. "We are making Europe-wide resistance to devastating policies of poverty visible."

The European Blockupy movement, which formed after the Occupy Wall Street movement in 2011, is critical of euro-zone leaders' approach to the debt crisis. Forcing struggling countries to raise taxes and implement tough austerity measures has only served to deepen the Continent-wide recession, they allege.

Banks Prepared for Protest

As the protest got underway in the morning, riot police surrounded the ECB building and took positions at other nearby financial institutions, while a helicopter hovered overhead. A police spokesman said he wouldn't necessarily characterize the event as a blockade, however.

Banks in the area were reportedly able to prepare for the demonstration, with many employees either taking the day off or working from home. Some traders were also reportedly working from undisclosed locations or provisional trading halls.
    "So far, besides a few isolated incidents, everything has been peaceful," a police spokesman told the DPA. Further protests were planned for later in the day in downtown Frankfurt and at the airport, Germany's busiest international hub.

The demonstrations are being held about one year after some 20,000 people took part in a similar event in the city, when police detained hundreds of protesters. They also come ahead of Europe-wide protests planned for June 1.

So 2500 thousand Blockupy people marched on the ECB and the only affect they had was to cost thousands of Euro in extra policing, how was that successful?

If you want people to support your cause you need to stop it hitting them in their pockets and extra policing comes out of taxes which could pay for something useful instead of being wasted on an empty protest with no goal.

That's actually assault.
    I suppose the "peaceful protest" doesn't officially start until they reach Eyre Square.:D

in all fairness it's more hearsay than assault

pmsl

• Registered Users Posts: 45,491 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

cared enough to walk by, take a look and then log in to post about her lack of knowledge regarding whether it was occupy or not, funny that and sums up an awful lot

It was probably on her route to walk by :confused:

No need to come across so condescending, funny that sums up an awful lot(to borrow your words ;))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

in all fairness it's more hearsay than assault

pmsl

How is it hearsay if it is coming from the mouth of the person it happened to? I think it is very silly to do this again, it achieved nothing last time and no-one wants people claiming public space that people enjoying doing things on (skateboarding, relaxing etc) by people that believe in a cause they don't share!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement