Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-Occupy Galway discussion [Mod warning in post #1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭yara

biko wrote: »
    I used to be 100% for Occupy, but to be honest the postings on boards from Occupy members in various threads has turned me away from them.
    Arrogance and passive-aggressiveness doesn't suit a leftist movement that is supposed to save us all.

we can definately say the same back. the absolute nonsense we have to put up with from a lot of people (online especially) has made us who we are

occupy was never going to come up with all the answers, especially if it was left to a handful of people and all of ye screaming at us to come up with these answers, alone but quick smart or we'll never have your support.

we don't really need your confirmation of support on an internet forum but could really have done with a true effort to help out and stick with the cause like a few of us did.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,159 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

yara wrote: »
    we can definately say the same back. the absolute nonsense we have to put up with from a lot of people (online especially) has made us who we are

occupy was never going to come up with all the answers, especially if it was left to a handful of people and all of ye screaming at us to come up with these answers, alone but quick smart or we'll never have your support.

we don't really need your confirmation of support on an internet forum but could really have done with a true effort to help out and stick with the cause like a few of us did.

Yet again though you are missing the point, without a CLEAR vision of what ye are about then nobody will support ye, its very simple really. Pick an issue and stick with it, never mind hopping from one mess to another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

No offence Shakti but that's bullcrap, I wouldn't let people get away with calling OG "crusties", "smellies" etc? I also banned a person that wanted to burn down the camp, hope that was ok with you.

The country needs movements like this instead of people sitting in the pubs complaining about everything but having no guts to do anything themselves.

Every thread on OG bring a lot of crap into this forum - but instead of taking the easy way out and stop them I have let them run knowing it would infect the forum with bad mojo and mean a lot more work for me.
    Eventually every single thread has been beaten to **** by both sides, spiralled into mudslinging and petty personal abuse and then locked, only for everything to repeat itself in the next thread.

Btw, don't question moderation on thread. There is a feedback forum for that.

I'm not angry, all people who threaten/ed to burn the camp or anywhere else down should have/be banned for life on the spot, there is no alternative. can we agree?

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Guys, arguing with lefties is like playing Chess with a pigeon... It doesn't matter how well you play, the pigeon will knock over the pieces, jump around the board and sh1t all over the place, including on your moves... Basically, they have nothing but trying to make you look as stupid as they actually are.

They have no grasp of economics, no clear vision for Ireland, no solutions to our problem. But it's pointless in arguing, because they will say you "Are supporting the system" "blind" "ignorant" or "a traitor to the 99%"

I can guarantee is wrong in many of your baseless accusations above.

you say we have no solutions to our problem, which specific problem is that exactly? is it singular

Way to stay on point and the issue, another Occupy deflector of questions joins the car crash.

would you look over the pages and realise the de-railing and off-topic bull$hit a lot of you throw up so regularly it has a pattern.

I mean having to ask someone 20+ months after the whole occupy movement launched worldwide you are seriously asking someone whatthe occupy Galway is all about? are you able to see what I see in your "questions"?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

I can guarantee is wrong in many of your baseless accusations above.

you say we have no solutions to our problem, which specific problem is that exactly? is it singular

OK so you have no solutions. Remind me again of the problems?

No offence Shakti but that's bullcrap, I wouldn't let people get away with calling OG "crusties", "smellies" etc? I also banned a person that wanted to burn down the camp, hope that was ok with you.

The country needs movements like this instead of people sitting in the pubs complaining about everything but having no guts to do anything themselves.

Every thread on OG bring a lot of crap into this forum - but instead of taking the easy way out and stop them I have let them run knowing it would infect the forum with bad mojo and mean a lot more work for me.
    Eventually every single thread has been beaten to **** by both sides, spiralled into mudslinging and petty personal abuse and then locked, only for everything to repeat itself in the next thread.

Btw, don't question moderation on thread. There is a feedback forum for that.

sitting in the pubs giving out? Well for some

Yara, please address the concerns of the other posters. After all it's in your interest to win people over to the OG side, is it not?

are we allowed to or expected to feed trolls now??

ok http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+the+global+occupy+movement+about%3F

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you think someone is a troll then report the post instead of posting on thread to further derail it.
    Once reported the mods will look at the post, discuss it and decide whether it needs action.

If you're not going to interact with the posters of this forum I don't see a reason to let OG have threads here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Guys, arguing with lefties is like playing Chess with a pigeon... It doesn't matter how well you play, the pigeon will knock over the pieces, jump around the board and sh1t all over the place, including on your moves... Basically, they have nothing but trying to make you look as stupid as they actually are.

They have no grasp of economics, no clear vision for Ireland, no solutions to our problem. But it's pointless in arguing, because they will say you "Are supporting the system" "blind" "ignorant" or "a traitor to the 99%"
    Says the guy who sends in an entire post with no logical argument in it... This is just a random tirade against "lefties" and is about as much use as what you claim the lefties come out with.

PS: I don't want any "permanent" demos in Eyre Square, or anywhere else in everyone's way. I also think Occupy specifically as a protest group are worse than useless. But I don't think public money should be used neo-communist style to prop-up tanking private institutions. You may as well nationalise them in that case.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

If you're not going to interact with the posters of this forum I don't see a reason to let OG have threads here.

I just want to echo this sentiment. Repeatedly questions asked have gone completely unanswered, it's a trend that will have to change immediately - no more run arounds, no more you should know already, and certainly no more inflammatory posts.

Take each question at face value, answer it, talk, interact - that's how this is going to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Is there actually anything in the Square at the moment?

I passed by yesterday at about 5pm, and there was no sign of tents, signs or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

I asked on the previous thread and didnt get a reply, so Il ask again
    what is the occupy Galway mission statement?
    Its precise reason for protesting
    And what plan or ideas do they have for fixing them.
    Why is eyre square the place to make a protest about government/banks when county hall is up the road and numerous constituency offices within the city, and 2 of the main banks in Ireland have substantial premises close by to protest outside of.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Considering Re Occupy Galway didn't happen and the OP refuses to answer any questions about the movement isn't this thread kind of pointless? Its just going to end up getting locked like the previous threads.

Not if people adhere to what's already been said by Pleasant Co. and Biko.

tis about 20 months since the whole occupy movement kicked off in Galway city centre on Oct 16th 2011 and as yet you and many others still need to be told what the movement was about??

The reason for this is because most of those involved had such drastically different ideologies and political leanings that it's impossible to know just what it is the movement wanted to accomplish. Everyone had their own agenda from tax the rich to tighter immigration controls to increase the dole to public executions of bankers. There were even some whose beliefs seemed to mirror those of Adolf Hitler.

There were even some whose beliefs seemed to mirror those of Adolf Hitler.

if you're so sure of that you should be well able to give us the examples

if you're so sure of that you should be well able to give us the examples

Well there was the time when one of those at the camp told me that the current global recession was due to the "jews who control the world" and how "it's about time we took back control from the jews". There was also the lad who told me that our boarders should be closed to blacks as they came here only to scrounge off the dole and brought diseases. He went on to say that before the blacks came "there was no aids".

Well there was the time when one of those at the camp told me that the current global recession was due to the "jews who control the world" and how "it's about time we took back control from the jews". There was also the lad who told me that our boarders should be closed to blacks as they came here only to scrounge off the dole and brought diseases. He went on to say that before the blacks came "there was no aids".

there is no fcuking way one of the occupiers said anything like what you've just described!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

So, did this happen? Are they back occupying?

• Advertisement

there is no fcuking way one of the occupiers said anything like what you've just described!!

Yeah it did, I heard it from two separate people with my own ears.

Yeah it did, I heard it from two separate people with my own ears.

well I say there's absolutely no way in hell that any true member of occupy would say anything of the sort! have you a description of who said this? you seem to remember the conversation well enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Some individual conspiracy nut / right-winger saying that to you shouldn't colour (no pun intended) your views on the whole Occupy movement. Anti-semitism and racism isn't what Occupy is about.

markesmith wrote: »
    Some individual conspiracy nut / right-winger saying that to you shouldn't colour (no pun intended) your views on the whole Occupy movement. Anti-semitism and racism isn't what Occupy is about.

that's if this conversation took place at all and even if it did there's no guarantee it was an occupier that said it. the camp was open to all to sit in and chat so it could have been a complete randomer you were talking to

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

I asked on the previous thread and didnt get a reply, so Il ask again
    what is the occupy Galway mission statement?
    Its precise reason for protesting
    And what plan or ideas do they have for fixing them.
    Why is eyre square the place to make a protest about government/banks when county hall is up the road and numerous constituency offices within the city, and 2 of the main banks in Ireland have substantial premises close by to protest outside of.

can this get answered please Yara as you are im going to presume a member of the movement you would be the person who would more than likely be able to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭keyboard_cat

I used to be 100% for Occupy, but to be honest the postings on boards from Occupy members in various threads has turned me away from them.
    Arrogance and passive-aggressiveness doesn't suit a leftist movement that is supposed to save us all.

Funny I recall saying to you that perhaps you shouldn't have moderated the last thread because you were incredibly bias and you said you were not opinionated

that's if this conversation took place at all and even if it did there's no guarantee it was an occupier that said it. the camp was open to all to sit in and chat so it could have been a complete randomer you were talking to

Well, that's a problem so. If you've someone within the camp (short term or otherwise) with such right wing and bigoted views, who is spouting on to the public like that; then that falls under Occupy's banner and a topic/view that is condoned by them. It's impossible to not have your opinion of the movement coloured, when that is what it is associated with. Maybe you guys need some sort of way of identifying the 'true members' from the randomers.

Also, I have known Darko for many years, and embellishment is not in his repertoire. So I have no doubt that this conversation did take place. As well as my own personal experience of having being shouted derogatorily at by people within the camp, when I passed by carrying numerous shopping bags over Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Is there actually anything in the Square at the moment?

I passed by yesterday at about 5pm, and there was no sign of tents, signs or anything.

I passed through at about 12:30pm today, and there was no sign of protests except this one sign decorating the Browne Doorway structure:
    2013-06-09%252012.25.49.jpg

Possibly it's a leftover from the Amnesty International street action yesterday - more photos from it here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.518341214881231.1073741836.136563219725701&type=1

Although I'm guessing it's not their sign:
    1) They were running an event with a permit from the council. One of the conditions of these is that you take your "stuff" away - and the rest of their stuff is gone.
    2) Their signs are usually spelt correctly.

well I say there's absolutely no way in hell that any true member of occupy would say anything of the sort! have you a description of who said this? you seem to remember the conversation well enough
    markesmith wrote: »

Well if it was just some random nutter then it still reflects directly up Occupy Galway If you associate with such people then it can only but tar the movement.

And the reason I recall the conversation is well is because it's not one you forget easily. That and I wrote it all down at the time.
    Also, I have known Darko for many years, and embellishment is not in his repertoire. So I have no doubt that this conversation did take place. As well as my own personal experience of having being shouted derogatorily at by people within the camp, when I passed by carrying numerous shopping bags over Christmas.

Oh yes the abuse you got when walking back from the shops. Experienced that a few times as did my girlfriend and a dozen other people I know. Capitalist whore was one insult they favored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

"Turquey" oh dear...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement