Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-Occupy Galway discussion [Mod warning in post #1]

Options

Comments

yara wrote: »

Oh great, a number of links that shed no real light on what OCcupy Galway is about. The fact that this very thread is there shows just how little info there is out there regarding what Occupy Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭yara

Why should I wade through thousands of pages when a representative of Occupy Galway is posting here. Surely you should be able to answer a few questions considering how involved in the group you are.

Actually one of the biggest problems with Occupy Galway and in fact the entire movement is that many of those involved have drastically different ideals and beliefs, often at odds with one another.

wouldn't it be a boring old world if we all thought the same

wouldn't it be a boring old world if we all thought the same

Well surely a global movement should not be at odds with one another. How can the Occupy movement change anything when their own groups and members cannot agree on a mission statement that reflects what it is, the group on a whole wants to accomplish.

Good point! What is the reason to occupy Galway? Why dont they occupy government buildings in Dublin

because as soon as we go do whatever ye want there would be a whole load of new posts telling us we were wrong to do that too

we cannot and will not try to please everyone and a lot of you think we're incoherent or difficult to engage with

Good point! What is the reason to occupy Galway? Why dont they occupy government buildings in Dublin

you try to occupy government buildings with a crowd of say 15 - 25 people and see how ye get on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

The problem in this country is that there is nowhere near enough people protesting. The best way to control people is to condition them to believe, and then defend the lies they are sold. People are conditioned to police themselves and turn on those that dare to stand up for what they believe in and call them dirty crusties, tin foil hat wearers, etc. It is a pity that there are so many spineless sheep in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,491 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

because as soon as we go do whatever ye want there would be a whole load of new posts telling us we were wrong to do that too

we cannot and will not try to please everyone and a lot of you think we're incoherent or difficult to engage with

You still haven't answered my question. Have you taken your Facebook page down?

I can see why this has failed miserably tbh.

I think you will find that most of us engaging with you would have no issue with the group occupying Eyre Square as long as the group actively strived for change. Rather than sitting around all day eating and drinking and patting one another on the back for putting it to the man.

I found it rather odd that many of those involved in Occupy Galway were happy to draw the dole while sitting around all day, contributing nothing while preaching/condescending to random strangers passing by that they were only working to pay off the debt of the traitors. Much as Occupy Galway despised the every day worker at least they were doing something or note and contributing to society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭AndyMc

Why would you occupy a tourist city that has little to do with the fiancial sector of Ireland? Go to Dublin if you really want a change.

And what is this change thats proposed? Communism? People hve very little money due to the massive recession we had. I never heard of any of these movements during the good times.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    You still haven't answered my question. Have you taken your Facebook page down?

I can see why this has failed miserably tbh.

you can see why it's failed?? great, so you don't mind doing all you can to fix it or are you going to stay sitting behind your computer all your life?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,491 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

you can see why it's failed?? great, so you don't mind doing all you can to fix it or are you going to stay sitting behind your computer all your life?

Eh, what are you posting from?

Tell us how you want to change things?

Still haven't answered my question

The problem in this country is that there is nowhere near enough people protesting. The best way to control people is to condition them to believe, and then defend the lies they are sold. People are conditioned to police themselves and turn on those that dare to stand up for what they believe in and call them dirty crusties, tin foil hat wearers, etc. It is a pity that there are so many spineless sheep in this country.

The vast majority of people in this country want change but we realise that sitting around Eyre Square for weeks on end will accomplish nothing. I agree that many protests have been underattended but that's more to do with the fact that a lot of honest to God decent people don't have the time to get out there. Someone working 40 hours a week can't take a day off to travel to Dublin to march in the streets and after a long week, very few people want to spend their weekend out protesting.

I think you will find that most of us engaging with you would have no issue with the group occupying Eyre Square as long as the group actively strived for change. Rather than sitting around all day eating and drinking and patting one another on the back for putting it to the man.

I found it rather odd that many of those involved in Occupy Galway were happy to draw the dole while sitting around all day, contributing nothing while preaching/condescending to random strangers passing by that they were only working to pay off the debt of the traitors. Much as Occupy Galway despised the every day worker at least they were doing something or note and contributing to society.

ah ok, so we somehow need your permission to do it? oh and as long as we stick our necks out it's cool with you and others? so where we went wrong was with not consulting each and every tom dick and harry online and tried to implement all this on our own down at the camp while real life drunk and sober idiots came and physically hassled us night and day

and how you speak for occupy and it's members is beyond me seeing as how you know so little about the subject one minute but then next you proclaim some non-sensical in-depth knowledge as to the feelings between occupiers and those extremely lucky to still have work.

hmmmmmm

The vast majority of people in this country want change but we realise that sitting around Eyre Square for weeks on end will accomplish nothing. I agree that many protests have been underattended but that's more to do with the fact that a lot of honest to God decent people don't have the time to get out there. Someone working 40 hours a week can't take a day off to travel to Dublin to march in the streets and after a long week, very few people want to spend their weekend out protesting.

Not to mention that if you have a job then you are probably in the camp that would lose out were occupy to get their way (redistribution of wealth and all that).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

dilallio wrote: »
    Yara - A number of posters are politely asking for information about the movement - as you eloquently put it in your original post, they seek the truth.

Are you going to provide answers, or bury your head in the sand by refusing to engage in anything other than a childish manner.

Your decision - remember though, only one decision requires ignorance in spades
    so About 39,400,000 results returned in (0.15 seconds) is not enough info or not quick enough or something?

I was hoping for something original from you.

Anyone can do a google search - normally when someone opens a new thread, you expect that they have an opinion on the topic, regardless of how popular or unpopular it might be.

By replying to genuine questions with google links, you are insulting the intelligence of folks who have taken time to read your OP, and who have asked genuine questions.

You are also alienating people from your cause.

What is the point of a discussion thread about Occupy Galway, if the OP refuses to debate it in a meaningful way - perhaps you would be happier if the thread was closed, and we all use google instead from now on ???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

none of the groups have a mission statement, why not eyre square, no matter where it takes off people would have something to say about it

Ok personally I would find it hard to back an organisation whose goal is change and then who offer little to no information on how they would change things, thats on a global level. The group then goes into very Irelandcentric issues and once again offers no clear alternative. Thats why I asked for a mission statement so I could read specifics.

And thats fair enough why not Galway but if all the occupy movements in Ireland (when they were here) went to one location with higher numbers and a louder voice because of that wouldnt more issues been addressed? And being outside the Dail or camped by the Spike in our countries capital of gotten more publicity for the movement?

occupiers can't travel to dublin for protests either!! i have rent to pay, electricity, food bills, maintenance, pocket money to pay for every week!! I can barely afford to buy my daughter clothes for summer as she's growing out of everything very quickly

don't talk to me like I have no worries just cos I try to stand up for myself by joining occupy!!

Ok personally I would find it hard to back an organisation whose goal is change and then who offer little to no information on how they would change things, thats on a global level. The group then goes into very Irelandcentric issues and once again offers no clear alternative. Thats why I asked for a mission statement so I could read specifics.

And thats fair enough why not Galway but if all the occupy movements in Ireland (when they were here) went to one location with higher numbers and a louder voice because of that wouldnt more issues been addressed? And being outside the Dail or camped by the Spike in our countries capital of gotten more publicity for the movement?

that would be great but those who would theoretically have the time to do this don't have the money to do it cos we're usually broke ass due to being out of work in this financial crisis.

i also acknowledge you all have a right to ask questions and make suggestions but if you knew how many people offered such wonderful advice and got thick cos everybody's suggestions weren't put into play immediately you would understand why we don't listen to a lot of what is thrown at us

ah ok, so we somehow need your permission to do it? oh and as long as we stick our necks out it's cool with you and others? so where we went wrong was with not consulting each and every tom dick and harry online and tried to implement all this on our own down at the camp while real life drunk and sober idiots came and physically hassled us night and day

and how you speak for occupy and it's members is beyond me seeing as how you know so little about the subject one minute but then next you proclaim some non-sensical in-depth knowledge as to the feelings between occupiers and those extremely lucky to still have work.

hmmmmmm

What in the love of all that's holy and unholy are you raving on about. Where did I ever imply that you need mine or anyone else permission? All you did for the many months you were Occupying was sit around and talk of what you would do. It reminds me a lot of the writer who spends his days talking about what it is he is going to write but never actually starts doing. You say you got hassled by people, what did you expect to happen when you put tents up in the middle of one of Ireland's busiest cities?

Where am I speaking for the group? And I do know quite a bit about the movement but it's becoming clear that you don't seem to know a whole about them. I and others posting here saw members of Occupy Galway repeatedly harass people passing by. Walk by the group with a few shopping bags and watch as the insults were directed at you.

occupiers can't travel to dublin for protests either!! i have rent to pay, electricity, food bills, maintenance, pocket money to pay for every week!! I can barely afford to buy my daughter clothes for summer as she's growing out of everything very quickly

don't talk to me like I have no worries just cos I try to stand up for myself by joining occupy!!

If you have so many worries then why can you spend so much time sitting around Eyre Square? Times are tough for most of us and I know that if I had a couple of hours free each day I would be doing something more beneficial than sitting in the sun complaining about our government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

And an earlier post of yours:
    fyp

imo the problem is not the occupy, it's the lack of public support to try force change from those who can change all our lives for the better.

we don't expect people who have jobs or are incapable of movement to join any protest but there are many people who do have the time but choose to spend it on everything but the chance of a new system for US ALL to live under
    Hmmmmmm....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

that would be great but those who would theoretically have the time to do this don't have the money to do it cos we're usually broke ass due to being out of work in this financial crisis.

i also acknowledge you all have a right to ask questions and make suggestions but if you knew how many people offered such wonderful advice and got thick cos everybody's suggestions weren't put into play immediately you would understand why we don't listen to a lot of what is thrown at us

So as a group you are happy not to have a clear message and solution for people to make their mind up about and support or add to. But instead have this kind of general haze of bits and bobs. Then on that count I personally would find it difficult to support a group

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Thread temp locked until local mods get to review. Go & enjoy the nice weather while it lasts.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Thanks tHB.

We'll try a little bit longer.
    It seems the main concern for many posters is "what do the Galway Occupy want?".
    As told us by yara the main movement is quite general in that they are against the bailouts and the corporate greed being bankrolled by Joe Soaps.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occupy_movement
    Local groups often have different foci, but among the movement's prime concerns is the belief that large corporations and the global financial system control the world in a way that disproportionately benefits a minority, undermines democracy and is unstable
    That's all well and good but does the local group have any local issues they protest, besides general issues?
    What lessons have they learned from last year?
    What approach will they take in the future? It seems the re-occupy didn't happen.

As always, please use a civil and respectful tone as no-one benefits from cheap digs or keyboard warriorism.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

I'm all for open debate, however i have a major concern that there is a supposedly official representative here from the Galway occupy group that deflects necessary questions such as those just posted by Biko and retorts with trolling responses. All we want are genuine answers from the Galway group as to their exact objectives and their plans to instill change. Protesting for the sake of protesting with no alternative plan or method of resolution implementation is completely pointless. It's akin to a child throwing a tantrum in a shop because they want something and then when asked by the suffering parent, the child does not know what they want to appease them or else the child asks for something so outlandish it is beyond the means of said parent to provide.

Real questions have been asked, we need real answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Is there really an official Galway Occupy group? How does a group become part of the Occupy movement?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I don't think there is an "official" group, as in sanctioned by OWS. That's not how it works I think. They merely felt compelled to help spread the idea of OWS.
    There seems to be some spokes people for the movement but I doubt it's them we've seen posting here (kinda hard to tell from anon usernames).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Re-Occupy Galway doesn't seem to have returned... so isn't this thread based on guff?

Honestly, the way things started out, the OP acted as if Occupy Galway could inspire hoards of people to descend on Eyre Square.

biko wrote: »
    I don't think there is an "official" group, as in sanctioned by OWS. That's not how it works I think. They merely felt compelled to help spread the idea of OWS.
    There seems to be some spokes people for the movement but I doubt it's them we've seen posting here (kinda hard to tell from anon usernames).

there are people who speak on behalf of the occupy movement but all of them have completely given up on boards.ie

it's difficult to even get them to read the threads on here and to be quite honest I don't blame them one bit.

you're all quick to point out our flaws but did nothing to really try help us to help you, some of ye even proclaimed during occupy you'd rather sit back and watch it fail, how did that work out for ye? life is so much better for all of us today isn't it.

Occupy was never going to come up with all the solutions without huge public support but everyone's too busy so don't worry about it

• Advertisement

Re-Occupy Galway doesn't seem to have returned... so isn't this thread based on guff?

Honestly, the way things started out, the OP acted as if Occupy Galway could inspire hoards of people to descend on Eyre Square.

no, we tried that with the greatest of intentions but from day one were left to go it alone.

it is funny though, for a subject held in such disregard by so many people it sure did get a lot of views over the last few days. who's fooling who?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement