Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-Occupy Galway discussion [Mod warning in post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

tbh, that post just comes across as a cop-out. No alternatives have been put forward and as a result the public interest has not been sparked. Instead of trying to clearly articulate what alternative approaches there might be, the movement instead blames others for its failure and gives up.

If you represent the 99% as you claim, surely it shouldn't be too hard a sell?

(unless of course you dont represent the 99%)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

biko wrote: »
    Does the local group have any local issues they protest, besides general issues?
    What lessons have they learned from last year?
    What approach will they take in the future?

yara, as you appear to be in contact with the people who do speak on behalf of Occupy Galway. Could you bring this particular set of questions to them, and return with some summarised answers?

This will go a long way to help the OG cause, and gain some level of support from posters whom are still on the fence.

yara wrote: »
    there are people who speak on behalf of the occupy movement but all of them have completely given up on boards.ie

it's difficult to even get them to read the threads on here and to be quite honest I don't blame them one bit.

Are you referring to the OG members who posted here and routinely insulted anyone who engaged in debate with them? I believe that a number of them were banned for the manner in which they interacted with people like myself who posed questions to them.
    you're all quick to point out our flaws but did nothing to really try help us to help you, some of ye even proclaimed during occupy you'd rather sit back and watch it fail, how did that work out for ye? life is so much better for all of us today isn't it.

Many of us who took a trip to the camp in order to engage with OG and discuss solutions were greeted with insults and intimidation. By your last line it would appear that you think that OG achieved absolutely nothing given how life is in no way better now than it was before OG started.
    Occupy was never going to come up with all the solutions without huge public support but everyone's too busy so don't worry about it

Ah so the movement can't do anything unless there is huge public backing. People aren't too busy, they are just sick and tired of movements such as the Occupy one that proclaims to have the answers to the worlds problems when in fact they haven't one single workable one. OG was a mess made up of numerous people with many different political beliefs. It was clear at the best of times that those at the camp couldn't agree upon what it was the camp wanted as a whole so there was never any chance that it would offer a single workable solution.

no, we tried that with the greatest of intentions but from day one were left to go it alone.

it is funny though, for a subject held in such disregard by so many people it sure did get a lot of views over the last few days. who's fooling who?

Left to go it alone. I'm calling crap on that. Occupy Galway repeatedly spoke about how the public embraced them and that on a daily basis members of the public would stop by with food, blankets, etc, etc. They also stated that the general public donated money. To me that would be contradictory to your post above. I really think that you should start answering the questions put to you rather than continuously trying imply that the reason OG was such a cluster fuck that achieved nothing was down to the general public. It failed because those involved hadn't a clue what it was they wanted and were protesting simply to put it to the man. And so that yeah could pat one another on the back and tell each other how great all of yeah were.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

you're all quick to point out our flaws but did nothing to really try help us to help you

No, you never gave yourselves that chance by repeatedly refusing to answer questions and muddying issues with the kind of misdirection that Sir Humphrey would be proud of.

I as I said in the original thread, I got the impression o.g. wanted was sheep to blindly follow whatever they said was needed.
    some of ye even proclaimed during occupy you'd rather sit back and watch it fail, how did that work out for ye?

Quite well actually since measures that I believe need to be taken have been put in place (property tax being one).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

no, we tried that with the greatest of intentions but from day one were left to go it alone.

it is funny though, for a subject held in such disregard by so many people it sure did get a lot of views over the last few days. who's fooling who?

Still, there has been no Re-Occupy & it seems that your announcement of an imminent set up of camp on Eyre Square had no substance to it.

If you were left go it alone, then you are not representing those who left you to go it alone.

One cannot talk about disregarding a protest camp that didn't materialize & one can likely explain those views to a feeling of annoyance about the possibility that a part of Eyre Square would be hijacked... alongside your 60+ posts (25% of the posts in this thread are yours), many of which I'm guessing have done nothing to help the Occupy movement, here or anywhere else.

Who's fooling who? I suspect you're not fooling too many of us on here. I'd say you're possibly fooling yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭yara

Left to go it alone. I'm calling crap on that. Occupy Galway repeatedly spoke about how the public embraced them and that on a daily basis members of the public would stop by with food, blankets, etc, etc. They also stated that the general public donated money.

this was very helpful but without actual physically help from people it was left to a core group of about 25/30+ people. you can call shenanigans all ya like, in the meantime we are all still suffering under unjust austerity and even if we answered 50 or 100 questions we would still not see one of ye down to help out.

Still, there has been no Re-Occupy & it seems that your announcement of an imminent set up of camp on Eyre Square had no substance to it.

If you were left go it alone, then you are not representing those who left you to go it alone.

One cannot talk about disregarding a protest camp that didn't materialize & one can likely explain those views to a feeling of annoyance about the possibility that a part of Eyre Square would be hijacked... alongside your 60+ posts (25% of the posts in this thread are yours), many of which I'm guessing have done nothing to help the Occupy movement, here or anywhere else.

Who's fooling who? I suspect you're not fooling too many of us on here. I'd say you're possibly fooling yourself.

so, where were all the people interested in helping out 3 weeks ago when occupy returned for the day to mark the dismantling of the camp??

was that not real enough for people?

this thread has served it's purpose and got people talking and looking at it. maybe someday the viewers will have enough and decide to hit the streets, until then we are waiting and never going away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,032 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I don't really give a hoot what Occupy think of me/us/etc. Hopefully it will be the end of these useless threads.

this was very helpful but without actual physically help from people it was left to a core group of about 25/30+ people. you can call shenanigans all ya like, in the meantime we are all still suffering under unjust austerity and even if we answered 50 or 100 questions we would still not see one of ye down to help out.

So what help is it exactly that OG wanted? You got free food from the general public, they gave you money that it seemed anyone at the camp could use for whatever they wanted, you got free tents, sleeping bags, gas canisters for heating and dozens of other things. You also had dozens of people stopping in every day to chat with the members. I'm really trying to think what else you expected from the general public.

Oh wait, I get it. You expected the general public to come up with all the answers so that the members of OG could take them and proclaim them as their own. Kinda like most of the members of OG are professional protestors who jump on every major campaign that they can. There wasn't a single original thought or workable idea put forward by any member of OG. They instead preferred to sit around all day eating free food, spending donated money and telling one another what a great job they were doing. Anyone who dared disagree with OG were met with abuse and intimidation.

• Advertisement

so, where were all the people interested in helping out 3 weeks ago when occupy returned for the day to mark the dismantling of the camp??

this thread has served it's purpose and got people talking and looking at it. maybe someday the viewers will have enough and decide to hit the streets, until then we are waiting and never going away.

What an absolute cop out. Christ, OG must see themselves as some sort of real world Batman. Go back to lurking in the shadows. It's obvious that you have no interest in engage with any of us on boards.

in the meantime we are all still suffering under unjust austerity

No such thing, austerity is merely a way of describing government spending during a financial crisis. The only "austerity" we have actually seen in this country is cuts on on the capital side, with f**k all being cut from the real problem with our public finances: the current budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Yes. Where were those people? You said there would be a Re-Occupy on Saturday. There wasn't. You didn't have enough people, I think you appear to be saying. So your announcement was bravado, it appears.

Clearly, whatever happened 3 weeks ago was not real enough for people to act upon some kind of call to action made by you (& I am not sure who else).

I think this thread has got people talking, however I think that talk is less than good for Occupy.

Unless you think like Linda Martin & see it as a million dollars worth of publicity, either way.

& saying you're never going away, just after a failed protest-event-camp launch... well, it looks cartoon-ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,491 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Re-Occupy Galway doesn't seem to have returned... so isn't this thread based on guff?

Honestly, the way things started out, the OP acted as if Occupy Galway could inspire hoards of people to descend on Eyre Square.

The Re-Occupy Galway page on Facebook has been deleted, Sunday morning I think after nobody showed up.

The person running that page(not sure was it the OP) seemed to be trying to generate publicity but on Saturday only 4 people had committed to going along.

It was a protest for the sake of protesting. Thankfully it came to nothing.

Oh wait, I get it. You expected the general public to come up with all the answers so that the members of OG could take them and proclaim them as their own. Kinda like most of the members of OG are professional protestors who jump on every major campaign that they can. There wasn't a single original thought or workable idea put forward by any member of OG. They instead preferred to sit around all day eating free food, spending donated money and telling one another what a great job they were doing. Anyone who dared disagree with OG were met with abuse and intimidation.

it was never once suggested that Occupy Galway wanted the public to come up with all the answers so that the members of OG could take them and proclaim them as their own. where you got that out of is beyond me.

It would be closer to the truth in saying that we would have liked to see lots of people come on board and bring their individual skills to the movement and between us all we could have came up with ideas to implement.

very few of ye have come forward and joined to do anything about it and if ye disagree so much with Occupy why not start your own movement.

it was never once suggested that Occupy Galway wanted the public to come up with all the answers so that the members of OG could take them and proclaim them as their own. where you got that out of is beyond me.

It would be closer to the truth in saying that we would have liked to see lots of people come on board and bring their individual skills to the movement and between us all we could have came up with ideas to implement.

very few of ye have come forward and joined to do anything about it and if ye disagree so much with Occupy why not start your own movement.

I got it from the fact that many members of OG are professional protestors who jump on whatever bandwagon is popular. Take a trip to any protest around Galway and its always the sane faces. The people with too much time on their hands looking for something to get behind.

They offer absolutely no solutions or workable ideas but would be the first to take something that is popular and run with it. Why would OG expect others to come to them with ideas. Surely the whole reason for establishing OG was to offer some solutions.

Thousands of people in Galway went to OG. I'm sure that many of them brought ideas and solutions but I'd imagine that many of these ideas were difficult and as such those at OG had no interest. After all it's very easy to sit around all day eating and drinking while the state funds your lifestyle than it is to actively strive for change.

Thousands of people in Galway went to OG. I'm sure that many of them brought ideas and solutions but I'd imagine that many of these ideas were difficult and as such those at OG had no interest. After all it's very easy to sit around all day eating and drinking while the state funds your lifestyle than it is to actively strive for change.

what are you on about? if thousands had shown up with ideas and solutions it would have been a completely different camp in regards what we could have done if we had more people to bounce ideas around with and then put them into action.

you said it yourself it's left to the same few people everytime to go out highlighting issues and somehow that's our fault?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,159 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

what are you on about? if thousands had shown up with ideas and solutions it would have been a completely different camp in regards what we could have done if we had more people to bounce ideas around with and then put them into action.

you said it yourself it's left to the same few people everytime to go out highlighting issues and somehow that's our fault?

Yes by not communicating in an effective or sometimes civilised manner with the general public, by being consistently vague and completely devoid of goals or aims.

I think you missed my point. It is not left up to the same people to highlight issues. We are all, well most of us are aware of these issues but we know that sitting around eating and drinking in Eyre Square will do absolutely nothing. The people who show up at every protest are those desperately looking for something to do. They offer no solutions or ideals and refuse to engage with the public preferring instead to hold up barely literat signs and scream about traitors and the raping of this country.

Any time I was at the camp there were dozens of the fe real public there engaging in debate Znd offering solutions. Sadly anyone who disagreed in any way with OG were called names and if they dared to defend themselves they were bullied and intimidated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

The new Occupy Galway chant.
    What do we want? We don't really know but protesting is cool.
    When do we want? Have you tried googling that?

When the camp was broken up, at least one occupier posted a video ranting at the guards about chemtrails and vaccines and the new world order.
    Maybe that's what it was all really about and boards is just part of the conspiracy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭galwayfellaBETA

Ahhhh, what a seriously depressing thread.

IMHO the Occupy movement was a chance to level the playing field for the average Joe (while I'll agree that their failure was a lack of direction, their intentions were very well meaning).

The ongoing attack on living standards across the world is relentless. Just look at all the new taxes here in Ireland.... we are now taxed when we take shelter from the elements (property tax), soon to be taxed to consume water, soon to be taxed to consume information (communication charge)... the only thing I can think of isn't taxed is consuming oxygen. Meanwhile OUR natural resources are being given away for a song and a dance by corrupt politicians, who for a measly 50 grand will **** the rest of the population over.

Yet the indoctrinated keyboard lemmings of boards.ie, being the good little robots they are act as they have been taught.

It's sad that someone who is willing to spend their time and energy concerned with manners relating to 'the greater good', rather than their own narrow personal interests, comes here to boards.ie and is relentlessly hounded. ..... "you didn't answer my question, you didn't answer my question" ad nauseum..... maybe your questions didn't deserve answering!!! + go educate yourself!

I've also given up on boards.ie, it seem that there is a clique of users here that are objectionable for the sake of it.

Rant over.

Btw, I won't be answering question just because you can pose them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Yet the indoctrinated keyboard lemmings of boards.ie, being the good little robots they are act as they have been taught.

It's sad that someone who is willing to spend their time and energy concerned with manners relating to 'the greater good', rather than their own narrow personal interests, comes here to boards.ie and is relentlessly hounded. ..... "you didn't answer my question, you didn't answer my question" ad nauseum..... maybe your questions didn't deserve answering!!! + go educate yourself!

I've also given up on boards.ie, it seem that there is a clique of users here that are objectionable for the sake of it.

Rant over.

Indeed we should all instead become sheep in the occupy flock and act as they teach us instead.

You won't be answering the questions because just like occupy, when it comes down it you don't have any answers, your just against everything.

Meanwhile OUR natural resources are being given away for a song and a dance by corrupt politicians, who for a measly 50 grand will **** the rest of the population over.

It is your bad self that should go get educated about whom the sheep really are. A simple check on how Norway taxed early oil exploration shows that we are closely following the same model that they did in order to get companies to invest in Norway when, just like Ireland now, the profitability of the fields was far from certain.

http://www.ccop.or.th/ppm/document/SEM2/Erling_The%20Norwegian%20Tax%20and%20Government%20Take%201965-2002.pdf
    we are now taxed when we take shelter from the elements (property tax), soon to be taxed to consume water, soon to be taxed to consume information (communication charge)

We are being taxed for the provision of services that don't come cheap. It costs about €1.2bn to provide the water services from the country and we are a wasteful bunch. The only sure way to change behaviours is to make people think twice about how much we use - the success of the plastic bag levy is a case in point.

As for the communications charge, would you rather be totally at the whim of private enterprise for the provision of communications?

I'd love to be in charge because I'd go way further than the current government have the balls to go.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Infraction given to galwayfellaBETA, remain civil and such actions won't be required in future

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭galwayfellaBETA

dloob wrote: »
    Indeed we should all instead become sheep in the occupy flock and act as they teach us instead.
    They haven't taught me much but I do appreciate that at least they are trying to say something... have you any active contribution to make about the state of the society/economy/country?
    dloob wrote: »
    You won't be answering the questions because just like occupy, when it comes down it you don't have any answers, your just against everything.
    Obviously, especially Marmalade, I'm really against Marmalade!

I think my point, re boards, is proven on the first reply :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

antoobrien wrote: »
    It is your bad self that should go get educated about whom the sheep really are.

As soon as you see an argument along the lines of...
    Meanwhile OUR natural resources are being given away

...It's generally safe to assume the rest of that person's argument is nonsense. As demonstrated above.

"Indoctrinated" indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Seriously though, how many of these 'reds' that go to 'occupy' are the type that go to any protest for the sake of it ?? It seems thats their buzz.

Oh, and by the way us tax payers are the ones paying for you to protest as most of you use the excuse of not working for corporates etc as your way out of having to.work .

Fact .

No here comes the backlash (full of fancy quotes and the likes no doubt )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

They haven't taught me much but I do appreciate that at least they are trying to say something... have you any active contribution to make about the state of the society/economy/country?

Me, no...not really.

Unless of course you count paying enough income tax for 3 lots of jobseekers allowance every month and generally not making a nuisance of myself in our nation's squares....

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If only the OG would have a more blue collar "feel" to it I think more people would be interested. People would be inclined to join a "worker's right" movement. OWS didn't start as a hippie thing but in Galway it has got that epithet.

If OG wants to claim to speak for the 99% in Galway they need to find a way to get the 99% to participate. I'm not sure how but to me that would be key.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Our questions are "what are the specific goals and targets of Occupy Galway?" and "how do they plan to implement and succeed in their proposed goals?" Those are the most fundamental questions of any validity and the continued objective to ignore those questions by yourself and Yara makes the re-emergence of the occupy ideology quite farcical to be honest. A directionless movement with no specific goals or targets and no knowledge of how to implement real change is utterly pointless.

it seem that there is a clique of users here that are objectionable for the sake of it.

Now the farce is really stepping into Parody. A clique of people that object for the sake of it - Surely you are describing the Occupy movement itself. Ironically when you see a group of users on boards act in the same mannerisms as Occupy Galway it annoys and frustrates you - just like the annoyance and frustration of those who are constantly bombarded with the same nonsensical rhetoric we are used to hearing from OG.

Why is it okay for OG to act in a certain way towards the public but when the public respond in the same manner to OG, it is an outrage to you?

The irony in your post is quite overwhelming, it's a shame you probably don't see it or won't acknowledge it if you do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement