Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cat hunter required

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Seachmall wrote: »
    Can somebody explain what a Tomcat is? Wikipedia just tells me it's a male cat, and I don't see why people are repeatedly referring to it's sex (are male cats more aggressive?).

I always thought a tomcat was an adult male cat. Of course they are more aggressive, they're male!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

Can somebody explain what a Tomcat is? Wikipedia just tells me it's a male cat, and I don't see why people are repeatedly referring to it's sex (are male cats more aggressive?).
    I always referred to male cats as tom cats and yeah tomcats are much bigger, at least he is anyway, he's massive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

**Vai** wrote: »
    I always thought a tomcat was an adult male cat. Of course they are more aggressive, they're male!

In some species (like dogs) the female is more aggressive, even on their good days they're bitchy as hell.

*Badum dum TISH*

In some species (like dogs) the female is more aggressive, even on their good days they're bitchy as hell.

*Badum dum TISH*

:P
    Tell me about it. My dog is very territorial when she sees cat she will bark and give chase, she is a bitch but this is her space and she is protecting it. She also barks at crows and birds in general :o

(I did mention I was female didn't I?)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Female cats can be aggressive as well, take their cousins in the wild for instance, the female lion does all the hunting for the pride as well as raising the young.

The males live lives of leisure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭frank reynolds

dont let your sh!tty "paris hilton dog-in-a-bag" rat outside if there are bigger animals attacking it.

if you spray bleach at a cat you should be locked up. sicko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Tomcats go around fighting, humping and pissing.

If a tomcat ever pisses in your car, tractor or house, burn it as the smell is vile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

**Vai** wrote: »
    Indecent Proposal 2.

Maybe its a good idea to tell the OP that his balls are like tennis balls and he wont take no for an answer! The cat will be the least of his troubles. :D

dont let your sh!tty "paris hilton dog-in-a-bag" rat outside if there are bigger animals attacking it.

reported for personal abuse

• Advertisement

Maybe its a good idea to tell the OP that his balls are like tennis balls and he wont take no for an answer! The cat will be the least of his troubles. :D
    I'll have you know my balls are mahsive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭frank reynolds

pharmaton wrote: »
    reported for personal abuse

hahahah my life is over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I'm going to try trap him, I'll have to go buy a cage first though, have him neutered and hopefully problem sorted.
    did you call cats aid? just to save spending money on a cage, afaik they will call out and have their own cages

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    did you call cats aid? just to save spending money on a cage, afaik they will call out and have their own cages
    called the local spca alright they just told me unless it was feral there was little they could do, if someone owns it I would have to get their permission to neuter it but he did give me number of local vet who might have a better idea. If I can trap it and neuter it I will.

I haven't sprayed bleach at a cat, a cat has attacked my dog. My dog, who is in her home and her garden, where she is free to roam safely. I'm not paris hilton and I don't carry my dog around in a bag. I'm also not a sicko. Shouldn't you be in school sitting your junior cert?

called the local spca alright they just told me unless it was feral there was little they could do, if someone owns it I would have to get their permission to neuter it but he did give me number of local vet who might have a better idea. If I can trap it and neuter it I will.
    ah the spca's - shower of government fund draining PR whores. you can rest assured if you called and said there was an oil leak on the canal and rte were all over it, they'd be down in a flash lookin to get their mugs on tv. worked for dspca before - wat a shower. you're good to get him neutered. we did that with a feral a while ago, carey and keane in kilmainham offer reduced price for ferals, and will tag the ear also

once he's de-balled he should be no match for your dog :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I'm going to try trap him, I'll have to go buy a cage first though, have him neutered and hopefully problem sorted.

I'm sure the owners of the cat will be thrilled to have their pet captured and castrated.

kneemos wrote: »
    I'm sure the owners of the cat will be thrilled to have their pet captured and castrated.
    If the owners were responsible they might have done this much themselves before allowing their cat to roam and might save a lot of hassle in the future anyway.

kneemos wrote: »

he doesnt know if the cat even has an owner, also unless he's some kind of prize winning pansy pedigree, I dont see the issue. Hundreds of thousands of unwanted cats born every year. Also think about the poor female cats. We got a feral female neutered as there were about 7 toms hanging around the balcony all waiting to basically gang rape her. Poor thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    call cats aid. they are in donnybrook I think. they'll come out and trap him for you free. you dont need to resort to "hunting" cats in this day and age, especially if there is a chance he is someone's pet? :/

Helpline: (01) 6683529

Our Helpline provides a voice mail facility for leaving messages. This is not manned but is checked several times daily. All enquiries about adopting or fostering cats should be directed to the Helpline, where our Homing and Foster coordinator will pick them up directly and respond.
    We cannot return your call without a phone number so when phoning please repeat your phone number clearly
    coudnt agree more,most cat charities will do this or will loan the cage to trap.

borrow the pressure triggered cage off the charity or someone on a cat rescue forum> put something strong smelling that cats love the taste of at the back of the cage-a strong smelling kibble woud be better because at this time of year the place is full of flies and the wet cat food gets covered in eggs if left outside> put the cage in a quiet area where the cat does visit> give it time and hopefuly the cat shoud go in the cage which triggers the door shut,as soon as that happens take him to the sanctuary, preferably a no kill one.

someone posted as if they havent got a clue what a tom cat is.
    a tom cat is a male cat which still has balls.

the poor cat does not deserve to be treated with any malice, stop projecting human agression and thinking on to him.
    he will be feeling scared and threatened of the dog he isnt attacking him through hate/power/pyschopathy etc,leave that to the scummy humans .

Scruffles wrote: »
    coudnt agree more,most cat charities will do this or will loan the cage to trap.

borrow the pressure triggered cage off the charity or someone on a cat rescue forum> put something strong smelling that cats love the taste of at the back of the cage-a strong smelling kibble woud be better because at this time of year the place is full of flies and the wet cat food gets covered in eggs if left outside> put the cage in a quiet area where the cat does visit> give it time and hopefuly the cat shoud go in the cage which triggers the door shut,as soon as that happens take him to the sanctuary, preferably a no kill one.

someone posted as if they havent got a clue what a tom cat is.
    a tom cat is a male cat which still has balls.

the poor cat does not deserve to be treated with any malice, stop projecting human agression and thinking on to him.
    he will be feeling scared and threatened of the dog he isnt attacking him through hate/power/pyschopathy etc,leave that to the scummy humans .

yes yes yes. In fact, neutered males actually make nice pets, i have a few - big babies lol It's a really nice feeling to trap, neuter and rehome a cat - making a small difference in your little corner of the world. Well maybe thats just the altruism junkie in me talking ;)
    Animals are only really aggressive for survival purposes, and because they are afraid. Not like us cranky humans haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Scruffles wrote: »

The problem with these cages is you can be arrested if you come back and find that the fat kid from next door got his head stuck in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Hownowcow

The problem with these cages is you can be arrested if you come back and find that the fat kid from next door got his head stuck in it.

Only if you neuter him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Surprised you never heard of a tom-cat - standard name for a male cat. And yes, they are a lot more aggressive than the female cat. Can be right bastards - including eating their children.

Surprised you never heard of a tom-cat - standard name for a male cat. And yes, they are a lot more aggressive than the female cat. Can be right bastards - including eating their children.

I've never heard of a Tomcat eating kittens before, killing them yes but eating them? It's rare enough for the father to even be around once their born. They move between partners, the mother will also fight to the death to protect them.

bkv6ehv.jpg
    been keeping an eye out for predators all evening, no cats in sight thank the lawd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

discus wrote: »
    Super soaker, filled with bleach.

This is disgusting, some eejit reading that will actually do it.

Certain Neanderthals see cats as legitimate targets to torture abuse and kill, there was a thread on here about a year ago where a fella advocated drowning Kittens in a river.

See for instance if I said to them that I should strangle my unwanted pup with an electrical cord I'd be viewed upon as some sort of monster. Dogs are loyal and devoted to the owner, man's best friend.

Cats are evil dirty cnuts yadda yadda etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

Years ago a full bred Doberman backed our Siamese into our porch.... big mistake! The cat shredded the dog's face. There was some amount of blood to clean up. The owner had the nerve to come shouting and complaining to us about how his prize dog had been mauled. Meanwhile, the cat just sat there cleaning bits out of his claws. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Can never understand why people buy dogs the size of their fingernail. Or dogs in a hand bag. Or dogs with coats.

Cats rule btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Meritocracy Wins

This cat is proving more difficult to catch than I thought it would be. I am going to need a Brody, Hopper and a bigger boat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Your dog was obviously p1ssing the cat off, cats don't just attack for no reason. If you kill it you are a scumbag. There's plenty of places that will trap it humanely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭keelanj69

ziggy23 wrote: »
    Your dog was obviously p1ssing the cat off, cats don't just attack for no reason. If you kill it you are a scumbag. There's plenty of places that will trap it humanely.

Victim blaming the dog. A new low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Leave the poor cat alone.

keelanj69 wrote: »

Ah shush will ya! The dog must have been chasing the cat but tom cats are vicious once attacked

ziggy23 wrote: »
    Ah shush will ya! The dog must have been chasing the cat but tom cats are vicious once attacked

All in jest xp

I know myself. Have three dogs and a new bengal male. He beats the shíte out of the dogs playing.

All in jest xp

I know myself. Have three dogs and a new bengal male. He beats the shíte out of the dogs playing.

Love both dogs and cats but cats are much more intelligent imo, that dog was obviously cruising for a bruising :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Dog chases cat,cat claws dog,pair of em in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

With a dog like that you'd want to watch out for birds of prey, escaped snakes and strong breezes too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Fgs leave the wee dog alone. We had an aggressive Tom Cat that used to have a crack off the local dogs. We were never sure if he was doing it because he thought he was protecting us or showing off.

I'm sure OP will have the maturity to solve the issue without stooping to the level of a 'kill it' moron. I love cats but it's not fair that that wee dog gets bullied in his own back yard.

A Tom Cat, btw, is an unneutered male - they can be aggressive and territorial and lead short tough lives. A responsible owner will neuter his cat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

discus wrote: »
    Super soaker, filled with bleach.

you're a sick bastarrd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Hownowcow

Some cats have a bad attitude. They invade gardens, and that's only the start.

Cat.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Fgs leave the wee dog alone. We had an aggressive Tom Cat that used to have a crack off the local dogs. We were never sure if he was doing it because he thought he was protecting us or showing off.

I'm sure OP will have the maturity to solve the issue without stooping to the level of a 'kill it' moron. I love cats but it's not fair that that wee dog gets bullied in his own back yard.

A Tom Cat, btw, is an unneutered male - they can be aggressive and territorial and lead short tough lives. A responsible owner will neuter his cat.

My father grew up on a small farm with an aggressive Tom Cat that was missing an eye and had a limp , my father had three parallel scars on his face from hairline right down to below his mouth.

Neither him nor the Tom Cat talked 'bout it much.

Even my Grandmothers three JRTs knew their place.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Issac

A close friend of mine was attacked by a cat that came into his house. The friend had been feeding it every now and then and so was familiar with it. One day the cat came into his house and ended up trapping itself behind a cupboard. My friend managed to free it and while the cat was still dazed by the experience, he stepped away from the cat - but not far enough. The second the cat came to its senses it lunged at his face. He managed to get his hand up to block but the cat latched on and bit and bit. Long story short - the relative ended up in hospital for 10 days and nearly lost his arm.
    While he was hospitalised he was asked if he wanted the cat "dealt with" but he told his family "No, no - keep it fed". Upon leaving hospital he returned home to see his assailant alive and well in his back garden - but revenge would be swift. The trusted .22 rifle was dragged from its slumber and the cat got three of the best while it lounged in the sun. The cat is now no more needless to say.

So OP you need to get rid of that thing asap. It might be you next!

mattjack wrote: »
    my father had three parallel scars on his face from hairline right down to below his mouth.

Serious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Issac wrote: »
    A close friend of mine was attacked by a cat that came into his house. The friend had been feeding it every now and then and so was familiar with it. One day the cat came into his house and ended up trapping itself behind a cupboard. My friend managed to free it and while the cat was still dazed by the experience, he stepped away from the cat - but not far enough. The second the cat came to its senses it lunged at his face. He managed to get his hand up to block but the cat latched on and bit and bit. Long story short - the relative ended up in hospital for 10 days and nearly lost his arm.
    While he was hospitalised he was asked if he wanted the cat "dealt with" but he told his family "No, no - keep it fed". Upon leaving hospital he returned home to see his assailant alive and well in his back garden - but revenge would be swift. The trusted .22 rifle was dragged from its slumber and the cat got three of the best while it lounged in the sun. The cat is now no more needless to say.

It must be an awful thing to not have the intelligence to tie your own shoes is it?

• Advertisement

Serious?

Yessum.

NoQuarter wrote: »
    It must be an awful thing to not have the intelligence to tie your own shoes is it?

Cats don't wear shoes.

The trusted .22 rifle was dragged from its slumber and the cat got three of the best while it lounged in the sun.

What a brave soldier. He should be awarded 'the Medal of Fuckwittery' from 'Lord Drooler of Dimwitsville'.

Bet he was like a cat who got the cream after that.

Badum bum..

NoQuarter wrote: »

Whats your problem, bud? It wasn't the poster who shot the cat was it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement