Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Speed Drop Outs

• 07-06-2013 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭

Hi, all, as of lately I am having speed issues with my broadband.

From Vodafone's end the line is set up for 7mb and to be honest I normally receive form 5-6 mb which is good.

As I said the speed is dropping lately and I have checked this by logging into my routers service status which indicates my speed is 5.5 but then sometimes it goes back to 7mb.

Vodafone have checked the line and it is indicated a fault and a previous engineer's visit confirmed this and suggested replacing the external wiring to the house and of as today a repeat visit is scheduled for next week.

In the attic from where the wiring enters the house there is a small black junction box which on the input side receives the external wiring and the output side then sent to the main socket located in the hall and another output to an internal bell located in the kitchen, all done by the engineer who done this when we gone a telephone line originally.

Now what I done is at this junction box I have open it up and attached wiring to the output side and bring this into another room for an extra telephone and is working fine, could this connection be causing the problem and if so what way can I rectify this.

Would be grateful for input or opinion on this and thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Id try put a filter on all the lines except the one going to the MDP(Main socket), this should remove most of the noise from the rest of the lines and may solve your problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Dermondo

ED E wrote: »
    Id try put a filter on all the lines except the one going to the MDP(Main socket), this should remove most of the noise from the rest of the lines and may solve your problems.[/quote

Hi, so at the main socket instead of a filter at that socket, remove it and plug the phone into the modem.

I have a filter at the other line.

Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you have a phone at the MDP too, and it has only one socket, then you need a splitter+filter there, and ensure you connect the phone to the phone part and the modem to the DSL part.

If you disconnect any other phones in the house the internal wiring shoudlnt effect the connection so maybe test like that for 24hrs.

Is the cabling between the MDP and the point in the attic very old?

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Dermondo

ED E wrote: »
    If you have a phone at the MDP too, and it has only one socket, then you need a splitter+filter there, and ensure you connect the phone to the phone part and the modem to the DSL part.

If you disconnect any other phones in the house the internal wiring shoudlnt effect the connection so maybe test like that for 24hrs.

Is the cabling between the MDP and the point in the attic very old?

Hi, I'd say the cabling is about 17 years old.

By the way I checked with Vodafone and advised to use to filter interally in the modem as opposed to the external one plugged into the mdp.

So at the moment the cable is directly from mdp to modem with no external filter, using modems internal filter.

Also I noticed some issues at the other phone point. Firstly the filter was directly into the phone, some removed that and plugged it in directly to the socket point, so really I reversed the previous process.Secondly I notice so tearing at that cable and exposed exposed wires and now that has been replaced with a new cable I had spare.

Hopefully I have troubleshooted some problems internally with your great full assistance.

Advertisement