Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat spraying on skirting boards

• 07-06-2013 1:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭

I have five cats at the moment one of which recently has picked up the awful habit of spraying as soon as he gets the chance.

I have had him about two years in three different houses and he has never done this up till about three weeks ago.

The other thing is it seems to have traces of red which I thought could be blood. We brought him to the vet who said it might be a kidney infection and gave him medication which he finished last week.

He just came in and sprayed again and it is still red in colour.

Any ideas how I can stop him and why its still red?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

mdwexford wrote: »
    I have five cats at the moment one of which recently has picked up the awful habit of spraying as soon as he gets the chance.

I have had him about two years in three different houses and he has never done this up till about three weeks ago.

The other thing is it seems to have traces of red which I thought could be blood. We brought him to the vet who said it might be a kidney infection and gave him medication which he finished last week.

He just came in and sprayed again and it is still red in colour.

Any ideas how I can stop him and why its still red?

I would try and get a urine sample from him and get it tested. It would do no harm, somethung has triggered this and I can think of no reason why his urine should be red.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Normally spraying would indicate that they feel their territory is being encroached by something/someone; any new cats/people around your place/outside?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

We were adopted by an un-neutered male a few weeks ago that had been spraying red tinged urine. He had crystals in his urine but our vet thinks its just from the urinary tract infection. He was given a 2 week antibiotic injection and within a few days the blood had gone from his urine. He was neutered the same day and the spraying has almost stopped. He sounds like he needs another vet check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Sample isnt a bad idea.

We got our most recent kitten about three months ago or more.
    Shes a bit crazy and the two of them wrestle quite a bit, perhaps that is the cause?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Sounds like it could be the new addition. Our first cat had taken to spraying over the areas that the new cat was spraying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Did your vet do a full urinalysis i.e dipstick, specific gravity and microscopic analysis? If not, then id be going back and asking for a full workup. His urine shouldn't be red and he could have a stubborn infection that isnt shifting or have a crystal build up (that causes pain when urinating and blood). Crystals can develop into full uroliths (bladder/kidney stones) and are quite dangerous in male cats if left unchecked.

I'm having the same issue with my male cat (no UTI), so i've bought new litter trays and new beds last week as i have a feeling he's not liking the foster dog and stray cat claiming the current ones. So, ive 2 just for him now which he's loving. Washing the area with a biological powder solution or enzymatic cleaner is the only way to remove the full scent in the area where he pees also.

Cats are funny little creatures and can get stressed out by the tiniest of environmental changes, so try and think of anything that may have altered recently-new cats? new smells?new people?

Advertisement