Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Mini PC or Raspberry Pi?

Options
  • 07-06-2013 4:17pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

In my room I have a laptop hooked up to a projector - and all I use the laptop for is watching movies over the network and browsing the web. I want to replace the laptop with a mini pc, just leave it switched on all the time and power the projector on and off. I want a wireless mouse and mini-keyboard with it also. The movies are on my main pc in the next room running Windows * and they are shared via shared folders on the homegroup. I just want something that will work - an minimise problems or issues.

I'm wondering what would be the best solution for me. A Raspberry Pi or an Android Mini PC? Does anyone have a similar setup and how does it work for you? I know these have minimal usb ports and I need wifi, keyboard and mouse. Am I better off getting a decent powered usb hub - or can I do it without one?

Any advice appreciated!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

You will need the powered hub for a RPi, I tried without and only got decent results once I got the hub.
    Good at streaming though and you will need to buy a MPEG2 codec (around £1.50 or so) and then it will play most formats, cheap to leave running too.
    Install XBMC ( OpenElec or RaspBMC, or maybe even RasPlex) and you will be ready to go.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks Excollier. I think I'll just buy one and give it a go with your suggestions, see what happens. I'm not that technical though so not sure how I'll get on. I had a look into buying a pack with all i need including the software pre installed. Would this be a good buy?

I have ordered this wireless keyboard and mouse. I'll see how I get on but might add a powered usb hub also.

Any other tips or advice for a total noob?
    Cheers lads!

Be careful of the wireless keyboard, the Pi can be very fussy about what works with it, and be absolutely sure to get a powered usb hub.
    You will embark on a very steep learning curve when you get the RPi, so when you get kitted out, join the forum here:
    http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
    and you will get all the help you will ever need. You will learn more about computer in a few weeks with this than yerars wit a Windows pc, linux is a great learning tool.
    I bought all my stuff here:
    https://www.modmypi.com/
    http://www.newit.co.uk/shop/categories.php
    http://thepihut.com/
    Also check out the Wiki pages for compatible peripherals:
    http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Hub

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Ah ok thanks. I've already ordered that Rpi kit and the wireless keyboard and mouse as linked above so I'll just have to see if it works. I was really hoping to have both wireless, but I can probably make do with a wired keyboard if I need to.

I bought the kit with all the NOOBS
    software preinstalled. Hopefully it will be ok, I mean I'm fairly technical when it comes to windows etc but haven't a clue about linux or programming etc.

I hope I'm not disappointed with its performance. When web browsing will it work ok if you have loads of tabs open with youtube etc? Even my current mac chugs along sometimes.

Sorry to tell you that YouTube won't work on the Pi, with the normal os like Raspbian or similar as Flash was never ported for the ARM chip in it. You tube will work when running XBMC
    You can use a wireless keyboard/mouse. I have a Xenta and the Wiki gives an extensive list of stuff that works with it.
    Web browsing is a little slow at times, stick to the lightweight browsers like Midori, The likes of Iceweasel (re-branded Firefox) can be very slow, although new software recently released called Wayland should better utilise the CPU/GPU and speed things up a good bit.
    But for your purposes the XBMC derivatives are what you will be needing, no web browsers there.
    If you want dual purpose the BerryBoot is the way to go as it give multi boot options so you can choose the appropriate os at bbot time, depending on your intended use for the session.
    But above all, get the powered usb hub. I cannot emphasise enough how much this will save you much frustration, headaches and anger, trust me I learned the hard way.
    The forum will keep you straight, it's invaluable really.
    This device is intended as an educational tool, and as such is terrific, as it makes you find out and use techniques Windows/Mac machines never let you near. It is a little slow, but make a cheap little media centre, and teaches you just how computers really work.
    You will get cross with it, at times, but your confidence with computers will take a great leap forward. One other thing, buy yourself a spare sd card, a 4GB class 4 should do fine, trust me you are going to need it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement