Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interview questions for L1?

Options
  • 06-06-2013 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi Guys,

I am applying for an L1B Blanket visa petition at the US Embassy in Dublin, can you pl share your experiences w.r.t. the kind of questions asked/interview preparation etc...

thanks,
    bellevueranger.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Hi Guys,

I am applying for an L1B Blanket visa petition at the US Embassy in Dublin, can you pl share your experiences w.r.t. the kind of questions asked/interview preparation etc...

thanks,
    bellevueranger.

Perhaps best to start a new thread.

I wasn't asked any questions besides "Where are you thinking of moving to?"

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bellevueranger

Thanks Ponster.

Perhaps the dumbest question, how do I create a new Post? I mean I did not find the option for a "New Thread/Post" in any of the dropdowns.

Am sure I am missing something but cant figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I split your question into it's own thread.
    For future threads, there should be a blue button saying "New THread" at the top left when you look at the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jonny_D

I was asked:

"What do you do at your company?" & "Is this your wife?"

And that was about it.

Once you're at this stage, you're home & dry, more or less.
    Did you upload your passport photos online? I'd recommend getting US size physical passport photos also.
    We uploaded ours online and the website said they were fine. But at the embassy, there was an issue with them. Luckily we also had physical copies. If we didn't we would have had to leave the embassy, get them done, then come back.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Oh yeah...I think the lady asked my wife how long we had been married. To be honest it was a million miles from an interview, held not in an 'interview room' but at the normal service desk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

ours was very straight forward - it felt more like a chat rather than an interview, asked about my job, about the other offices that my company had in the bay area and asked my wife if she was looking forward to moving to the bay area.

That was it, we were in and out of the embassy in 1 hour, had a visas and passports back that afternoon!

it's a breeze, to be honest i think they are just sizing you up by the way you respond, I always felt that the decision had been made before they even meet you

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭GradGirl27

what kind of visa is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

GradGirl27 wrote: »
    what kind of visa is this?

It's an intra-company transfer visa. Basically, you work for an international company in Ireland (or anywhere in the world), and they petition you for a visa to go work for their officers in the USA. I have several friends who worked for Google in Ireland and then moved this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭GradGirl27

Cool was thinking it was that but wanted to get confirmation.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

Jonny_D wrote: »
    I was asked:

"What do you do at your company?" & "Is this your wife?"

Same here. Also asked about salary and how long I'm with the company. Simples!

Was nervous but no need. The Americans in the embassy were lovely, the Irish, not so much :rolleyes: There was one horrible wagon in particular at security on the way in, you'll know if you meet her.....

Tip; bring minimal stuff with you (besides paperwork etc) You'll have to store what you have in a locker (phone, electronics etc).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

Hi All,

Currently living in the states on a J1 visa, employer has me over here from our Irish office since January. I've recently landed a new role within the company which will be based stateside and we're going through the L1 process. Have been told I will have to head home to do the interview sometime in August. Just wondering is the feedback above on the interview still relevant? Company has told me that it'd be a situation where I'm brought into a room for an interview similar to applying for a job so I'm surprised that the feedback here has made the interview seem a lot more relaxed! Any insights are appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Stenth

My employer hires a law firm for preparing visas (they relocate a lot of people to the US). This firm asked me a lot of questions before filing, like "why do they need to move you to the states" and "describe the unique knowledge you have". This might be because they applied for a H1-B visa at the same time, though. After the filing everything went reasonably quickly and hassle free.

I went with my wife to the US embassy in Dublin in March this year for the interview. The interview itself lasted for all of two minutes; it was in a front of a window, not in a separate room. "What is the name of the company you will be working for?", "How long have you worked for them?", "What will you do in the US?" and "When did you two get married".

I had been advised to give short answers and not volunteer unnecessary information. I might have overdone that as I gave one sentence answers, but they seemed to be happy with it. They wanted to see my job offer letter, my marriage certificate and proof of my university degree, plus the L-1 packet of forms I received from the employer. It all seemed to be very much of a formality.

By the way, don't bring your luggage to the embassy. You will have to deposit all your belongings in a tiny storage box prior to entering.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

Hey guys,

Can an L1B visa be activated at any time? Can they be approved at any stage during the year and is there a limited number of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

jme2010 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Can an L1B visa be activated at any time? Can they be approved at any stage during the year and is there a limited number of them?

I believe they can be approved at any time of year. I'm not sure about limits, I suspect there might be a limit like... per company, maybe. But I honestly don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

jme2010 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

It can be activated any time, and as of the time this article was written, there are no limits.

http://www.informationweek.com/strategic-cio/team-building-and-staffing/l-1-visas--h-1bs-quiet-powerful-cousin/d/d-id/1317459

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

It can be activated any time, and as of the time this article was written, there are no limits.

http://www.informationweek.com/strategic-cio/team-building-and-staffing/l-1-visas--h-1bs-quiet-powerful-cousin/d/d-id/1317459

I don't agree with his sort of bashing of the L-1 visa. As an Irish worker in a very specialized area of software engineering, an L1 transfer would be prestige rather than the taring angle that he is referencing.

Advertisement