Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

That Lexus, surely you could haggle it down to 2k using the big engine and nearly no NCT left excuse :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭coolbeans

That Lexus looks fairly saggy at the back...could be pricey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

coolbeans wrote: »
    That Lexus looks fairly saggy at the back...could be pricey.

The face lift LS430 had air suspension as standard. There is a little button on the dash to raise the car 30mm. If the whole car does raise 30mm in <60 seconds, I'd say its the height sensor that just needs to be adjusted - very easy job with a 10mm spanner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

ZTFmODVkMmIzMzAyNDA3MmNiZmM5ZGJhYzFlZTAxZmELHQ1b3OOw4CbZ-qksaUM3aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182NTg0NzU2NXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Daimler! €5k
    ++ ONLY ONE IN IRELAND ++ F

No it isn't! Its not even the only one in this thread.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/bmw-7-series-mega-massive-end-of-year-sale-now/13250537

NjFmZTRhZDQ4ZmI1Y2IzNTY5YzAyMDY1NjgyNDFhMGS5NSPp6gq_E30VgueipzxWaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182MTEzMDAyOXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Retro-LPG-classictax-barge - €4.5k - I wonder if an NCT could be haggled into the deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

mullingar wrote: »
    The face lift LS430 had air suspension as standard. There is a little button on the dash to raise the car 30mm. If the whole car does raise 30mm in <60 seconds, I'd say its the height sensor that just needs to be adjusted - very easy job with a 10mm spanner.

The air suspension on these are the main problem, if it goes wrong you will be looking at more than that asking price to put it right. Not sure if it would be an NCT fail though if it wasn't working correct, possibly would be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Idbatterim wrote: »

Looks like a stolen pic to me I'd be very careful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Truckermal wrote: »

Yeah terrible ad for a car like that, plus cheap price makes it look very dodgy.

Retro-LPG-classictax-barge - €4.5k - I wonder if an NCT could be haggled into the deal

At anything close to that money you would be mad to accept it without an NCT. I'd take the chance if it was for peanuts, but for strong money, I want a perfect car.

If I was serious i would go with an engineer/mechanic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Somebody suggested that car to me a few months ago (I don't think it was on this thread)

If I remember right, that car hasn't been NCTd in many years. If the seller is so keen getting good money for the car, why hasn't he put it through the test (and stand over it)? I'd be very weary...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

yeah. That particular one wouldn't have been of interest to me. Hope to pick one up next year. Prices still dropping fast on them ... With the motor tax on them , personally I'd want to be getting the car for as good as nothing to justify the motor tax on them. Virtually no depreciation or loan interest and those parasites can then have their pound of flesh for the tax ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Idbatterim wrote: »

Ad gone now. Mercedes S320 CDI 2007 Diesel.
    From what lads saying here it was a
    Bad picture, bad ad, too cheap price,

and bad all around. Lets hope somebody does their research on it and pick up on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭LariToper

That e23 has been on and off for over 2 years now, used to have a different set of photos not in a dealership and advertised as a private sale, but probably the same crowd.

That being said the e23 has to be one of the nicest looking barges out there, if one came up for the right price it'd be a dream car

LariToper wrote: »
    That e23 has been on and off for over 2 years now, used to have a different set of photos not in a dealership and advertised as a private sale, but probably the same crowd.

That being said the e23 has to be one of the nicest looking barges out there, if one came up for the right price it'd be a dream car

Afaik it was advertised privately in Cork. Dealer selling now is big on classics so it could well have been traded off another

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

kupus wrote: »
    Ad gone now. Mercedes S320 CDI 2007 Diesel.
    From what lads saying here it was a
    Bad picture, bad ad, too cheap price,

and bad all around. Lets hope somebody does their research on it and pick up on this thread.

1 poor picture of outside of the car, very little description. It's an S Class for feck sake, plenty to show and talk about.

It does have me looking at them now though!

The air suspension on these are the main problem, if it goes wrong you will be looking at more than that asking price to put it right. Not sure if it would be an NCT fail though if it wasn't working correct, possibly would be grand.

Major faults on any luxobarge can be expensive, it's the risk you take.

But the Ls430 is renowned to be one of the most reliable cars ever made. Air suspension is not a known weakness and can be repaired with a second hand one cheaply if it's found to be leaking.

I've an 04 ls430 , and clocked up 20k miles and all its needed is just normal service parts

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭crazyjim

But the Ls430 is renowned to be one of the most reliable cars ever made. Air suspension is not a known weakness and can be repaired with a second hand one cheaply if it's found to be leaking.

I've an 04 ls430 , and clocked up 20k miles and all its needed is just normal service parts

I'm tempted by this age of barge. I know there's luck involved - you can get a bad 'good car' too.

It's a long way from being vintage and low tax. How do you mentally prepare for paying the motor tax ? Do I just need to develop superhuman acceptance

• Advertisement

I've a lot of experience paying high motor tax, many years I paid maximum tax, sometimes even on 2 cars. It's always painful.

That said, the only reason these cars are extremely cheap in Ireland is the combined fact that the tax is high and that Irish people don't like paying motor tax (they don't mind paying many times more per year in depreciation)

So have a curse, enter your card details on motortax.ie, hit the "pay now" button, have a cry and then keep enjoying your superior vehicle that you paid beer money for :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

If you have Champagne taste and a Beer income an old Luxobarge is the only way to travel! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

unkel wrote: »
    I've a lot of experience paying high motor tax, many years I paid maximum tax, sometimes even on 2 cars. It's always painful.

That said, the only reason these cars are extremely cheap in Ireland is the combined fact that the tax is high and that Irish people don't like paying motor tax (they don't mind paying many times more per year in depreciation)

So have a curse, enter your card details on motortax.ie, hit the "pay now" button, have a cry and then keep enjoying your superior vehicle that you paid beer money for :D:D:D

I would love myself to go on luxobarge! I wouldn't even mind that tax, but right now on top of high tax you got massive insurance. The reason I crossed out lexus gs450h of my car list was the damn insurance. Its in region of 2K! Liberty 3.2K! I felt like i am 18 again with no NCB.
    I learned to live with tax and I woukd pay gladly that extra 1K tax per year for pure luxury monster, but extra 2K on insurance per year? That's just painful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes the air suspension was the only single item that I saw on Lexus Owners forum as being something to look out for when buying, was simple to diagnose just check care rose and fell when settings activated. Most owners were saying 300k miles not a bother.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-gs300/14142729

€750 for this is pure buttons plus it looks great, the black 08 GS I posted last week has been reduced to €3500!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭crazyjim

€750 for this is pure buttons plus it looks great, the black 08 GS I posted last week has been reduced to €3500!

Logically I know the road tax jump from 3 litre to 3+ litre is not big. Like Andy says in Shawshank Redemption 'if you come this far maybe you're willing to go a little further'. But paying top road tax spooks me somehow.

Is there any reason for selecting a GS300 over a LS430 ?
    Or an E300 over an S430 for that matter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

ive said it before and ill say it again
    shhhhhhssshh

Tigger wrote: »
    ive said it before and ill say it again
    shhhhhhssshh

He's right I spent 40k on a new car last year I reckon it's lost about 12K now, I also spend 4K on a barge for me which is ten times nicer to drive than the car that cost 10 times more!

@crazyjim the LS is a better motor again plus you get a V8 engine, personally I would prefer the LS460..

Just to add, the Ls430 is very easily converted to LPG!

Easily 500k on €50 lpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

That's ridiculous.

And I'd say if you showed up with 10 €50 notes, he'd not turn you away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Soarer wrote: »
    That's ridiculous.

And I'd say if you showed up with 10 €50 notes, he'd not turn you away.

I love the fluffy dice in something like lexus gs300....

Fantastic car for very low money, but what about nct on it?
    As o said before, check insurance on it. Luxobarge has now more enemies then just tax.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/genuine-volkswagen-phaeton/13142123

NDVlYjE2ZDc0MWM5MTZjZWM0MmY4MTRhMjFkZDc0YTi6a5wFNABWYsIjmBMt4fHoaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182NTY1Mzk1MXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Diesel..but still a nice looking one. Long-ish NCT, a firm €4900.

Phaeton has been for sale for a very long time. I can't remember the details, but I get a feeling the price is a good bit lower now than before. Still, unfortunately it's a diesel. A hand made diesel Bentley at that. W.O. would turn in his grave if someone told him that. A Volkswagen badge on his Bentley is one thing, but to actually put a tractor engine in it? :p

I wonder how much it would be to VRT a V8 petrol of similar age. Would love one as my next car. It's not on the VRT calculator, no surprise there :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Love the 44.2 mpg showing on the DIS in the photo. He must have reset it at the top of the nearest hill and rolled down to get that. I'd say 25-30 mpg in the real world considering the weight and AWD

I'd say that's the current consumption. At a constant 110 km/h in 6th gear (very low revs) that sounds about right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Skommando

what's the reliability and servicing costs like on them ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Skommando wrote: »
    what's the reliability and servicing costs like on them ?

Servicing costs would be ok. Given it's based on other models in the VAG range, there will be plenty of non-OEM parts available.

Like all big VAG engines, regular servicing with the correct oil is a must.  If it's been well looked after, it should be very reliable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I'm really thinking of buying a Lexus GS.

Am I mad please tell me I am as I'm thinking of converting it to gas also.

Am I mad please tell me I am as I'm thinking of converting it to gas also.

I don't think the GS can be converted but I could be wrong..

W.O. would turn in his grave if someone told him that. A Volkswagen badge on his Bentley is one thing, but to actually put a tractor engine in it? :p

Considering the heavy engineering gone into his early cars, I'd say W.O would be well down with the tractor analogy.

They were fast, but by god were they crude. Bugatti I think called his cars "the fastest lorries in the world.."

• Advertisement

I don't think the GS can be converted but I could be wrong..

From what I can find online many have converted to lpg. I'm really thinking of buying one can hold onto see how I get on with it and then look into converting.

There is a filling station near me so not far out of the way and with petrol on the up again it may sway me.

137.9 garage beside me has gone to today.

Anyone anything to add what one would need to look for on a GS been a very long time since I drove one back in 2007 and before but only short trips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Am I mad please tell me I am as I'm thinking of converting it to a giant single turbo monster.

Fixed your post ;)

But in all seriousness apart from tax they're really not a bad barge from a running costs perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

From what I can find online many have converted to lpg. I'm really thinking of buying one can hold onto see how I get on with it and then look into converting.

There is a filling station near me so not far out of the way and with petrol on the up again it may sway me.

Anyone anything to add what one would need to look for on a GS been a very long time since I drove one back in 2007 and before but only short trips.

:eek: where you living!!! I thought 130.9 was bad and saw it today in newbridge for 129.9

racso1975 wrote: »
    :eek: where you living!!! I thought 130.9 was bad and saw it today in newbridge for 129.9

I know its getting worse. Down the sticks Wicklow garden county.

If I was going down that route the LS would be my choice, I have over 10k on my GS with absolutely no problem but mine was maintained by a very meticulous Boardsie! ! There is a guy here called Mullingar with a LS on LPG, he's a sound lad if ya want to ask him on the specifics. You won't regret it though I absolutely love mine and never give the fuel or tax cost a thought anymore..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭jharr100

racso1975 wrote: »

I filled up with petrol today in Skibbereen for 121.9 (yes! petrol!)

If I was going down that route the LS would be my choice, I have over 10k on my GS with absolutely no problem but mine was maintained by a very meticulous Boardsie! ! There is a guy here called Mullingar with a LS on LPG, he's a sound lad if ya want to ask him on the specifics. You won't regret it though I absolutely love mine and never give the fuel or tax cost a thought anymore..

Hi thanks for the info. Wonder how much was to convert there are different prices going around.

I want something comfy to drive and yes tax is high but you only live once and absolutely love anything with an engine and insurance isn't an issue at all so that's one thing ticked off.

Hi thanks for the info. Wonder how much was to convert there are different prices going around.

I want something comfy to drive and yes tax is high but you only live once and absolutely love anything with an engine and insurance isn't an issue at all so that's one thing ticked off.

I think he did his own conversion but he's a crafty hoor!!!! I have driven loads of new cars and none of them are better unless a 5 series.

I think he did his own conversion but he's a crafty hoor!!!! I have driven loads of new cars and none of them are better unless a 5 series.

That's cool I wouldn't mind doing if I knew how.

I seen a place does it they take the car for up to 3 days to fit.

That's cool I wouldn't mind doing if I knew how.

I seen a place does it they take the car for up to 3 days to fit.

Shoot him a PM he will tell you everything you need to know!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement