Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Tigger wrote: »
    i have a psv license
    how does insurance work
    its some car for no money

Its a lot of money tho :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Taxi insurance can easily be €4-6k, negating any tax saving. Some chap got a quote recently for €23k starting out taxing, its gone through the roof like all other insurance has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

its some car for no money

It's 5 grand! :p

You can have a luxury Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, Jaguar for that kind of money. Literally any car in this thread. What's your fascination with the big Hyundai?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

unkel wrote: »
    It's 5 grand! :p

You can have a luxury Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, Jaguar for that kind of money. Literally any car in this thread. What's your fascination with the big Hyundai?

i don't think id have to give 5 maybe 2
    its different

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

i don't think id have to give 5 maybe 2
    its different

I'd give it a few months, and the endless procession of "whats your last price?" merchants will have broken his spirit sufficiently for him to consider your 2k offer.....

But you'd still be paying about 500 too much. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

One for everybody in the audience. 3 jags with 3 different personalities.

05 XJ6 petrol, NCT 10/17, €4950. Photo shows NCT 10/16 which is sloppy, but also means the car is for sale for a good while, so it's a good chance to haggle.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/jaguar-xj6-sovering-2005/12838807
    YzJiOWZkNjgxNmEyZWQyNTZhNGMyMDE2N2Y2MjAyMTD2U9H0__wcty-qarUvRVo8aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181ODk4MzA4NXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

The devils own fuel..XJ diesel, NCT 11/17, 3 months tax, €3950. Big miles. No reg plate showing and it's from a dealer so eyes open here.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/jaguar-xj-series-xj-2-7-executive-06my/14387683
    ZGQ0Nzg3YjgwMjEzN2Y4NjA4NmQ3MmMxY2RkMGNkZjZeRlmrFeeKNJkBxKeDD0yTaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182NzYyNzYyN3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

One for the slightly eccentric amongst us, a 1970 XJ6 which is nowhere near as troublesome as the V12. Usually fairly solid cars and if they're offering viewing on a lift then it inspires confidence. €3950. Money saved on tax in year one can be used to upgrade the brakes and get the seats deep cleaned from a pro.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/jaguar-xj6-4-2-series-1/13678306
    N2U4N2JiZDYwOTljMDNiNzNlYjAxODU0ZjA3NzQzYWQedd8KarPHP0sdRIDUEc1GaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182MzQ4MTM5MXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Red Kev wrote: »
    05 XJ6 petrol, NCT 10/17, €4950. Photo shows NCT 10/16 which is sloppy, but also means the car is for sale for a good while, so it's a good chance to haggle.

Car actually does have NCT till 10/17 as per the description. As you say, probably was for sale for a long time and he never replaced the picture of the old NCT disc

Still a bit pricey imho. From a dealer though, so you can rule out successfully offering a more realistic €3k - €3.5k or so...

Dual fuel tanks on the series 1 are very cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Dual fuel tanks on the series 1 are very cool

Yeah. I had a Series 3 V12, picked it up in Germany and drove through Italy, from Sicily across to Tunisia and on to Libya. Great trip, especially as petrol in Libya was the equivalent of 10p/litre back then (1997). Took it up to Waw an Namus which was more than 200km off road across the desert. Great times, great country and great people (apart from the tosser who ran the place), long before it was destroyed by various elements.

Where I worked in Germany the bosses all had 7er and S-Class, there was one guy who was bit alternative who had an Audi V8. The Jag was a good bit lower than them and stood out inthe car park, often admired by the managment. But every day you'd sweat a little bit, just hoping it would start with no issue! Still a gorgeous car to own and drive, just seriously expensive to keep on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Red Kev wrote: »
    One for everybody in the audience. 3 jags with 3 different personalities.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/jaguar-xj6-sovering-2005/12838807
    YzJiOWZkNjgxNmEyZWQyNTZhNGMyMDE2N2Y2MjAyMTD2U9H0__wcty-qarUvRVo8aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181ODk4MzA4NXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

The devils own fuel..XJ diesel, NCT 11/17, 3 months tax, €3950. Big miles. No reg plate showing and it's from a dealer so eyes open here.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/jaguar-xj-series-xj-2-7-executive-06my/14387683
    ZGQ0Nzg3YjgwMjEzN2Y4NjA4NmQ3MmMxY2RkMGNkZjZeRlmrFeeKNJkBxKeDD0yTaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182NzYyNzYyN3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

One for the slightly eccentric amongst us, a 1970 XJ6 which is nowhere near as troublesome as the V12. Usually fairly solid cars and if they're offering viewing on a lift then it inspires confidence. €3950. Money saved on tax in year one can be used to upgrade the brakes and get the seats deep cleaned from a pro.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/jaguar-xj6-4-2-series-1/13678306
    N2U4N2JiZDYwOTljMDNiNzNlYjAxODU0ZjA3NzQzYWQedd8KarPHP0sdRIDUEc1GaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182MzQ4MTM5MXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Second one linked is in a garage only open a wet week. Anybody know their story?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Are they 8 track tapes on the back seat of the 70's Jag?
    It looks like an 8 track player on the console.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I really like that first diesel Jag. 200k miles though? Would it be still alive? It's in limerick too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

This looks pretty good..I was admiring one previously back a few posts but its sold. This one is a grand cheaper which kinda worries me but I know nothing about these cars.

Y2Q3NzcyMmU1ZjVlYmIwZmQ5MTdiNjQwNGRiZjc1N2MCpkZ4uDX_kGEALgFFrk9MaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182NzkyNDE2M3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/06-automatic-cls350/14442111

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Nice looking merc. Pictures taken at test centre by the looks of learner bus at rear shot of picture.

That is nice. When I was looking at 300c last week, they had one of these parked next to it. They look really really nice in flesh.

I am just not sure about their reliability though. Diesel engines and gearboxes have good few issues, but kmow nothing off petrol ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭brady23

Blazer wrote: »
    This looks pretty good..I was admiring one previously back a few posts but its sold. This one is a grand cheaper which kinda worries me but I know nothing about these cars.

Y2Q3NzcyMmU1ZjVlYmIwZmQ5MTdiNjQwNGRiZjc1N2MCpkZ4uDX_kGEALgFFrk9MaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182NzkyNDE2M3x8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/06-automatic-cls350/14442111

Any thoughts on what insurance would work out on something like this in comparison to a BMW 320d 2011 which was my most recent car but I'm living abroad now but back in August.
    I was paying around 1600e 27 yo full license 3 years now claims etc, I should be back before no claims expires

it couldn't;t be too much more I imagine, Iwent from 2l to 3l litre and it only cost me €72 and that was only 2 months into my policy.

I'd advise you to do a lot of research before you decide on one. They can be the biggest money pit of a car, especially the 350 petrol, but I think the CDI's have their own issues.

If you find one, make sure the timing chain has been done recently. Its not a case if if they stretch, but when.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭pcardin

This looks pretty good..I was admiring one previously back  a few posts but its sold. This one is a grand cheaper which kinda worries me but I know nothing about these cars.

I'd advise you to do a lot of research before you decide on one. They can be the biggest money pit of a car, especially the 350 petrol, but I think the CDI's have their own issues.

If you find one, make sure the timing chain has been done recently. Its not a case if if they stretch, but when.
    true. Timing chain most likely was never changed on this, Very expensive thing to do.

• Advertisement

pcardin wrote: »
    true. Timing chain most likely was never changed on this, Very expensive thing to do.

never realised that..so its not just BMW timing chains but Mercs as well that have issues..always good to know.

seems to be only on the 2004-2006 versions..and only 1500 were affected with Merc offering a free repair.
    Of course you'd need to check the Car VIN I imagine to determine the engine in this one and if it was one of the rectified batches in 2006.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/08/mercedes-hit-with-timing-chain-issues/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

With 07/06 cars heading past the 10 year marks insurance going to be an even bigger issue with barges of this age and up?

never realised that..so its not just BMW timing chains

There are no BMW luxobarges with timing chain problems :)

(only affects the 4 cylinder diesel engine)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

The 6 cylinder m57 has been known to eat timing chains too but not as commonly as the n47.

The 6 cylinder m57 has been known to eat timing chains too but not as commonly as the n47.

"has been known " to so something is different to a recognised design fault. Any chain equipped engine that is not serviced properly will have chain issues.

Its important to recognise the distinction when buying second hand, so issues become a chance occurrence rather than a near certainty.

Always buy from a position of knowledge, and always buy on condition and history.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

It's the N57 that uses the same chain set up as the N47.

Failure can happen the M57s but it's very rare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

"has been known " to so something is different to a recognised design fault. Any chain equipped engine that is not serviced properly will have chain issues.

Its important to recognise the distinction when buying second hand, so issues become a chance occurrence rather than a near certainty.

Always buy from a position of knowledge, and always buy on condition and history.

I think failures are just as common when worked out per unit sold. They just sold a lot more 4 bangers in this country so they get a worse name for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Ninap

Just serviced and NCT'd too. Bit miley, but nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ollieo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Why one of a kind?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

bear1 wrote: »
    Why one of a kind?

no idea, has the steering wheel shift buttons but aside from that is base spec, no nav even. Its not a bad looking car in decent shape but its nothing super special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭Soarer

bear1 wrote: »
    Why one of a kind?

Well I've never seen another car with that number plate before!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

The silver GS 300 ^^^

Do you see the panel on the front that holds the number plate?
    To my eye that looks a really dated design/or cheap/or just wrong.

That's just a plate surround, isn't it? Don't like them myself, but a lot of people do. Very easy to "customise" your car a bit by having a surround with personalised text on it.

that's why I bought a straight 6 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Unfortunately the N57 engine is prone to it. We just hear about it less because there were so few sold after 2008. :)

166man wrote: »
    Unfortunately the N57 engine is prone to it. We just hear about it less because there were so few sold after 2008. :)

Yep, just as many failures/unit sold as the 4 cylinder.

You would want your head examined if planning to buy either :eek:

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    Yep, just as many failures/unit sold as the 4 cylinder.

You would want your head examined if planning to buy either :eek:

I didnt know that. Where did you get the figures for that?

I thought n57 failures were rare enough

I didnt know that. Where did you get the figures for that?

I thought n57 failures were rare enough

They are a lot rarer but not unheard of. The fallout definitely isn't as high as the N47.

They are a lot rarer but not unheard of. The fallout definitely isn't as high as the N47.

But he said "same failure/unit rate as n47" ? :confused:

• Advertisement

But he said "same failure/unit rate as n47" ? :confused:

I read an article or a post somewhere online probably about 18 months ago, annoyingly I cannot find it now...

It included a graph of sales of each engine in the UK vs failures. AFAIR they were all figures according to BMW in the UK. Failures were something like 12% less common in the N57 as opposed to the N47.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ollieo

The CL500 id for sale again, anyone remember what price it was advertised last time?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/cl-5000/14455160

ZWNjNGZjYjg3YTJiNzg0MzQ1Mzc0MDIwZWQ3YWZkZDQvecHNz17I6mSVraphaZm7aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182Nzk5NjE3MXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

ollieo wrote: »
    The CL500 id for sale again, anyone remember what price it was advertised last time?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/cl-5000/14455160

ZWNjNGZjYjg3YTJiNzg0MzQ1Mzc0MDIwZWQ3YWZkZDQvecHNz17I6mSVraphaZm7aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182Nzk5NjE3MXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

€2250 reduced to €1950

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭JP 1800

Absolute dreamer at that price, one of the ABC components fail and the car is a write off at that age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

That should be in dreamer thread. €4750

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭JP 1800

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

That's actually in excellent nick. Inside anyways, always hard to tell with silver in pictures.

And what a car for the money. CL500 was about €150k-€160k new. Without any options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

Wow really? E10k a year depreciation makes the top rate of tax seem fairly trivial doesn't it?! 200 quid a week for 14 years!!

Because of our €1,809 motor tax, that car is as cheap as it is :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement