Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

They're much the same price elsewhere, in Germany one with 6-12 months NCT starts at under €5000. There's a couple of reasons why prices for them are so low, usually luxo cars drop to a low price due to running costs such as tax, insirance, fuel etc., not just in Ireland but abroad too.

That CL model are notoriously unreliable, essentially Mercedes always use the CL /SEC model to introduce new technology, but they stuffed that one full of very unproven stuff, including the air suspension that they hadn't used in decades on private cars, only on trucks.

The engineers who developed the car were against a lot of the stuff that went into it, but they were overruled by the marketers and CEO's and the car was an embarassment in many ways. It's used in some Supply Management courses in Germany as an example of how not to bring a product onto the market.

The depreciation was probably around €40-50,000 in Yr1 and another €25-35,000 in Yr 2 alone on that car, at least €75,000 after 2 years either way. They've been hovering around that €4-6,000price for a few years now. I think they're gorgeous looking, but like the CLS I wouldn't go near them unless I was happy to strip it and flog it for parts if it all went tits up. Maybe next year, but not this one.

Some prices in Germany: http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/search.html?isSearchRequest=true&scopeId=C&makeModelVariant1.makeId=17200&makeModelVariant1.modelId=40&minFirstRegistrationDate=2000-01-01&maxFirstRegistrationDate=2004-12-31&maxPowerAsArray=PS&minPowerAsArray=PS&damageUnrepaired=NO_DAMAGE_UNREPAIRED

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Knew about the air suspension, but didn't know they were that bad. Thanks Red Kev. Every day is a school day. Those German prices are shockingly low. Stick a boggo 2005 BMW 520i in that search engine and you'll all know what I mean.

I'm getting my cars slightly mixed up (Trying to watch the football and failing with the multitasking); the suspension on the Coupe is hydraulic based, still a disaster when it goes wrong. The saloon is air based.

Look at prices on that site for W126 and W140 Coupes, they've gone through the roof. If you want a big, old Merc Coupe there, you just don't buy the C215.

These are all 500's wit hat least 3 months NCT

C126 http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/search.html?isSearchRequest=true&scopeId=C&makeModelVariant1.makeId=17200&makeModelVariant1.modelId=144&makeModelVariant1.modelDescription=sec&minFirstRegistrationDate=1980-01-01&maxFirstRegistrationDate=1992-12-31&maxPowerAsArray=PS&minPowerAsArray=PS&damageUnrepaired=NO_DAMAGE_UNREPAIRED&minHu=3

C140 http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/search.html?isSearchRequest=true&scopeId=C&makeModelVariant1.makeId=17200&makeModelVariant1.modelId=40&minFirstRegistrationDate=1993-01-01&maxFirstRegistrationDate=1998-12-31&maxPowerAsArray=PS&minPowerAsArray=PS&damageUnrepaired=NO_DAMAGE_UNREPAIRED&minHu=3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

The spectacularly low prices though aren't just down to reliability, 2000-2006 CLs were like Mondeos in their day, it was the go-to car for anyone with fist fulls of cash and they're ten a penny. Most still about today have been whored through 8+ owners at this stage with little maintenance between owners. They were also eye-wateringly overpriced when new, so second hand prices were only going to go one way.

It's crazy how a battered, neglected one looks its 15 years and a well kept one looks a million dollars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

A fair number of those CL's are cat c/d as well, so might explain the lower prices. But the point remains, if anything goes wrong you are in a world of pain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Tommyboy40

The CL gets bad press but is a superb car. Standard service parts are cheaper than a toyota, €9 for an oil filter (dealer price). A new one costs €185,000 so you have to expect that major repairs won't be cheap. The shocks cost €1150 + VAT from the dealer but are available from Germany for €550. Mine has 94K miles on it and needs one replaced, they don't need to be replaced in pairs. Always buy a facelift version and it helps if you're handy with spanners. I'm lucky that I have access to the Mercedes SD connect diagnostics which tells you what's wrong and how to fix it. Nothing drives like it and it returns 30mpg on the motorway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

I'd be so tempted by that silver one CL500.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Tommyboy40 wrote: »
    The CL gets bad press but is a superb car. Standard service parts are cheaper than a toyota, €9 for an oil filter (dealer price). A new one costs €185,000 so you have to expect that major repairs won't be cheap. The shocks cost €1150 + VAT from the dealer but are available from Germany for €550. Mine has 94K miles on it and needs one replaced, they don't need to be replaced in pairs. Always buy a facelift version and it helps if you're handy with spanners. I'm lucky that I have access to the Mercedes SD connect diagnostics which tells you what's wrong and how to fix it. Nothing drives like it and it returns 30mpg on the motorway

What Toyota are you servicing :pac:

I've never paid more than €6 for a genuine Toyota filter not to mention that they only take about 3-4l of oil generally. Sounds like you've been doing some great "man maths" to justify the cost :P

Saying that, they probably don't cost significantly more than any other V6 and up Mercedes.

My experience of owning Mercs has been that the basic stuff like the engine, gearbox, brakes, suspension, ABS, ESC etc. is very robust and as a result cheap to maintain. However, the "extras" and non-essential items tend to be fragile and temperamental. Central locking, electric seats, climate control units, etc. etc. tend to fail, especially in that era of Mercedes when their quality really was compromised. This forces the cost of ownership up if you want to have al of these things working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Ok so its a tad over budget, but its a 2008 merc with low miles, loads of room in the back and the tax wont kill you either

https://www.donedeal.co.uk/cars-for-sale/hearse-/14271839

Deadly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭polan

killer merc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Yeah, wouldn't be caught dead in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭Soarer

Ok so its a tad over budget, but its a 2008 merc with low miles, loads of room in the back and the tax wont kill you either

https://www.donedeal.co.uk/cars-for-sale/hearse-/14271839

I love the way it mentions "Dignity" on the back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Tommyboy40

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    What Toyota are you servicing :pac:

I've never paid more than €6 for a genuine Toyota filter not to mention that they only take about 3-4l of oil generally. Sounds like you've been doing some great "man maths" to justify the cost :P

Saying that, they probably don't cost significantly more than any other V6 and up Mercedes.

My experience of owning Mercs has been that the basic stuff like the engine, gearbox, brakes, suspension, ABS, ESC etc. is very robust and as a result cheap to maintain. However, the "extras" and non-essential items tend to be fragile and temperamental. Central locking, electric seats, climate control units, etc. etc. tend to fail, especially in that era of Mercedes when their quality really was compromised. This forces the cost of ownership up if you want to have al of these things working.

I have 3 x V8's so I possibly have an addiction. The worst Mercs are between 1999 and 2003. Quality significantly improved after that. I agree that some extras can be fragile but anyone handy can sort most of these things easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Yank made a 'Tube video of his own Luxobarge/Bangernomics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Mad, I watched that last night with 70k views, has 250k now.
    Annoying chap, nice car.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭ArnieSilvia

Ha! I watched it last night:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Mad, I watched that last night with 70k views, has 250k now.
    Annoying chap, nice car.

Lol he reminds me of Sheldon out of big bang..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭MrRolex

I like this one. 100K is nothing on a 4.2 V8. New NCT.
    A lot of car for the money. A8 Quattro's were loaded with spec.
    My only concern is the steering wheel looks worn for 100K. Looks more like 150K plus.
    I would want to mileage check it and see history and precious NCT's to back that up.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a8-4-2-tiptronic-quattro-just-passed-nct/9738911

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

does the rear bumper look to be a different shade of silver? more champagne than straight silver?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

does the rear bumper look to be a different shade of silver? more champagne than straight silver?

Looks to be the reflection from the green floor.

MrRolex wrote: »
    I like this one. 100K is nothing on a 4.2 V8. New NCT.

So the seller claims. There are a lot of sellers on donedeal lying about cars having a brand new NCT.

Reflection of the floor paint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

unkel wrote: »
    So the seller claims. There are a lot of sellers on donedeal lying about cars having a brand new NCT.

NCT site says it's due a test in under a month. Ad is up 22 days.

Could be booked in and sold on the basis of getting tested and passing.

Agreed.
    Was that a dig at me as well? Or just a general comment?
    Don't worry I will post up a picture of the cert when my Golf is retested this week.
    To be honest with you, it's on a lift right now having wishbones fitted for the retest. But I had to go to VW today and order new wishbone to subframe bolts and shims as they were corroded. It would have passed with the corroded bolts and shims, but I prefer to do the job right.
    I think it's fair enough to advertise a car as having 12 months NCT, if that is what it will be sold with don't you?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    NCT site says it's due a test in under a month. Ad is up 22 days.

Could be booked in and sold on the basis of getting tested and passing.

Agreed, that seems to be a likely explanation. Often dealer will advertise a car as having 12 months NCT, then put a fresh one on for the new owner.
    I don't see what difference it makes really, as it will be backdated in any case.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/07-lexus-gs300/14658020

07 GS for 2.5K! It's from a trader who has some nice bangeromics too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Truckermal wrote: »

right colour and spec, nice wheels too. NCT just out is a bit hmm, if they'd put it through that would be a steal of a deal.

right colour and spec, nice wheels too. NCT just out is a bit hmm, if they'd put it through that would be a steal of a deal.

The fail sheet would do me!

• Advertisement

Seller is a small time trader. The cynic in me tells me he knows full well the car will need expensive work to pass the test, otherwise he would have tested it and upped the price by a grand. I wouldn't bother with this one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Seller is a small time trader. The cynic in me tells me he knows full well the car will need expensive work to pass the test, otherwise he would have tested it and upped the price by a grand. I wouldn't bother with this one :)

probably the usual for cars of that price - needs a full set of discs, pads and tyres, a service and a bushing or 2 so they wouldn't recoup their post test value.

Aye and that's the kinda mileage (140k miles 230k km) where most cars in Ireland need some serious suspension work too, probably more than a bushing or two :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

That's some gas tank attached to the rear......

Wonder has it gear box issue like another one been flogged.

Lovely car wouldn't mind getting the hybrid version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

That's some gas tank attached to the rear......

Wonder has it gear box issue like another one been flogged.

Lovely car wouldn't mind getting the hybrid version.

Hybrid is faster, but has lost most of the practicality. You'll struggle to put a suitcase in the boot. Economy is virtually identical.

grogi wrote: »
    Hybrid is faster, but has lost most of the practicality. You'll struggle to put a suitcase in the boot. Economy is virtually identical.

I wouldn't mind ;-)

Is the economy really the same in both the '300 and 450h models?

Regen braking will make it more economical if you do a lot of city driving. On the open road it will make no difference.

Actually forget about it he hasn't a great reputation apparently.!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭Soarer

Actually forget about it he hasn't a great reputation apparently.!

How can he be listed as a private seller when he has 13 cars up for sale?

Soarer wrote: »
    How can he be listed as a private seller when he has 13 cars up for sale?

Because he hopes nobody will notice and keeps revenue off his scent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Is the economy really the same in both the '300 and 450h models?

Yes, they both get around 10l/100km. That was the design goal for GS450h - to get a v8 performance, but keep v6 consumption.

It is the next generation of GS450h, from 2013 - that is significantly more economical. It will go below 8l/100km.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭TigerTim

That is nice but he should put it thru' the NCT. Would make sale easier.

T.

TigerTim wrote: »
    That is nice but he should put it thru' the NCT. Would make sale easier.

T.

NCT due on May 2nd. What's to say he wasn't at the NCT in the past couple of weeks and got a bit of a hop?

I wouldn't go near it personally. It's a grand cheaper that the next 450h, which has no NCT.

• Advertisement

Red Kev wrote: »
    NCT due on May 2nd. What's to say he wasn't at the NCT in the past couple of weeks and got a bit of a hop?

I wouldn't go near it personally. It's a grand cheaper that the next 450h, which has no NCT.

Its the engine size and most won't touch due to tax. I would love one.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-cls/14795064

OGRmMjQ5MTIwZWU1NzdjZGM4NDcwMDEyMTdmMWEwYjewZ6ind88YVLz3940XvdHQaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182OTkyMTQ3OHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Fixer upper CLS - €1900 - worth the risk?

I wonder if you could buy and repair and save money over buying a well sorted example

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Pretty honest description.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

Because he hopes nobody will notice and keeps revenue off his scent.

I doubt it even would keep them off. A friend of mine in Mayo does some buying and selling, maybe 1/2 cars a month and he had Revenue after him. That guy has 13 up at once :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

The front right wheel seems be touching the wing, so I assume that's the problematic side?
    Wonder how much to put right...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement