Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I was going to give out to Duke for not reading the Ad properly.....:o:o:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Is anyone else stupidly tempted by the Lexus? But has a wife that would sign the divorce papers immediately if another car was brought to the household?

bear1 wrote: »
    Is anyone else stupidly tempted by the Lexus? But has a wife that would sign the divorce papers immediately if another car was brought to the household?

If I thought that she would sign them I would buy the fcukin two of them.....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Truckermal wrote: »

Polygamy is illegal though... :P

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Truckermal wrote: »

That's brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2008-bmw-730d-e65-msport-231bhp/17030209IMAG7089_zpsafoqzueh.jpg2008 BMW 730d e65 msport 231 bhp 191,000 miles €5950 (I bit over the 5k,nct 07/18)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Showed that 730 to my wife and she laughed at me...... back to bangernomics thread for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

It's funny the mental block people have about these cars. You could run and own that 730d for years for the same a new Fiesta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

great car, I'm looking for a second car at the moment and if I wasn't restricted to €3k budget I'd be all over that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Is that really an msport?

• Advertisement

It's funny the mental block people have about these cars. You could run and own that 730d for years for the same a new Fiesta.

Probably but I'm just wanting something as second car to do very small miles so not that practical really haha.

Wouldn't catch me dead in a fiesta or the likes tho ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

That interior though, what a fall from grace for BMW that was. Total deal breaker.

begbysback wrote: »
    Is that really an msport?

The M badge is just dealer tat, but it has the sport pack, shadow trim, steering wheel, front seats and springs. Wheels aren't a sport wheel though oddly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭ongarite

Why is it under the old CC based tax too?
    Looks to be a late reg 08 Meath reg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It has the M Sport interior dark grey headlining too which is usually a good sign of a genuine M Sport or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭roper1664

ongarite wrote: »
    Why is it under the old CC based tax too?
    Looks to be a late reg 08 Meath reg

It's 1200 pa, and based on 191 - 225 CO2 emissions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

lads all this talk of the wives. can i ask why what car you get would even be up for discussion? whats the issue? E1800 motor tax a year versus the thousands spent on a "prudent diesel econo box" that costs thousands more in depreciation and finance? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

long may it continue, so they remain cheap for the likes of us 'mentalists'

'But de tax, jaysus' thats it paddy.....keep paying your pcp on a yeti.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Idbatterim wrote: »
    lads all this talk of the wives. can i ask why what car you get would even be up for discussion? whats the issue? E1800 motor tax a year versus the thousands spent on a "prudent diesel econo box" that costs thousands more in depreciation and finance? :rolleyes:

Herself would like one of these. :confused:

dc935aa17e5cce76f07a9a97e0eb2c76.jpg

I told her to buy the fcukin thing, but I'd never sit in it unless I was plssed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Greybottle wrote: »

I told her to buy the fcukin thing, but I'd never sit in it unless I was plssed.

thats actually kinda cute.

My wife changed her car last year.
    When I totted up her annual mileage I said there is no way we should be getting a diesel.
    This went on and on and on.
    We eventually bought a dcat auris.
    So.. I had to make a choice, peace and ****ing quiet or constant nagging at the price of petrol.
    I chose the former.
    Luckily she does a good bit of long distance driving every month so no issues so far.

Greybottle wrote: »

dc935aa17e5cce76f07a9a97e0eb2c76.jpg

If my wife bought that she'd be single fair quick.

We have an 11 accord at moment but moving so need a second car for running about in. I'd love a big fuk off barge like the 7 series but realistically we don't need it ha.

I'm going along the lines of buying something old and classy that qualifies for cheap tax and insurance just haven't decided yet or found what I want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,645 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Greybottle wrote:
    Herself would like one of these.

So would my 5 year old daughter... But she ain't having one either... ( Well she's only small)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭ongarite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭homik

ongarite wrote: »

Chrome frames on the rear lights plus chrome trims on wheel arches... adding even more class to the S-Klasse :D should have done chrome window surrounds too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

I'm guessing you're not married?

homik wrote: »
    Chrome frames on the rear lights plus chrome trims on wheel arches... adding even more class to the S-Klasse :D should have done chrome window surrounds too

The chrome on arches always screams RUST BUCKET to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

jayo26 wrote: »
    Showed that 730 to my wife and she laughed at me...... back to bangernomics thread for me.

Maybe said wife would also laugh too if jayo26 suggested a new Fiesta though tongue.png

jayo26 wrote: »
    We have an 11 accord at moment but moving so need a second car for running about in. I'd love a big fuk off barge like the 7 series but realistically we don't need it ha.

I'm going along the lines of buying something old and classy that qualifies for cheap tax and insurance just haven't decided yet or found what I want.

Theres almost nobody on this planet 'needs' a 7 series, this thread isnt about need, its about telling your head to shut up and picking out a car that was 100k + 10 years ago that your missus thinks is too big, your neighbours think youve started selling cocaine and the tax office / your mechanic cum themselves silly every time you have to go see them. But even after all that you still have a big dirty cheshire cat grin on yourself every time you turn the key and feel stupidly smug because you know the car cost you 5k but everyone else thinks you're minted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

Exactly.

There are 5 things that cost with car ownership: fuel, tax, insurance, maintenance and the biggest and most silent cost for most is depreciation.

There really is feck all depreciation left in these barges unlike most newer econoboxes, so all that avoidance on depreciation can be used to pay the extra costs on the rest.

(and yes, I drive a V8 barge)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭flatty

mullingar wrote: »
    Exactly.

There are 5 things that cost with car ownership: fuel, tax, insurance, maintenance and the biggest and most silent cost for most is depreciation.

There really is feck all depreciation left in these barges unlike most newer econoboxes, so all that avoidance on depreciation can be used to pay the extra costs on the rest.

You're trading depreciation vs maintenance and uncertainty.
    It seems a no brainer to me. Luxobarge all the way.
    Diesel is an evil fuel all the same, and should really be aggressively legislated against

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

This is lovely, pity it doesn't have comfort seats though :(
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-750-li/17131393

Gotta agree re depreciation vs tax. All of my relatives/friends think that I'm aboslutely nuts running a 530i, not exactly a luxobarge but I enjoy the blend of performance/comfort/handling/economy that the e60 offers), but I reckon it costs me less per year/mile than most of their cars to run plus I bought a very good 10 year old example for less than a third of the price of a decent "chape tax" 530d with similar mileage. Recently got 37mpg over about 600km on a weekend trip so its not exactly ruinous at the pumps either.

mullingar wrote: »
    Exactly.

Yep bought a new Audi in 2015 and it has lost about 17K in 2 years and she gives out about my tax...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭DoctorStrange

commited wrote: »
    This is lovely, pity it doesn't have comfort seats though :(
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-750-li/17131393
    Anyone know if these come with factory isofix as standard?

Sh1t boxes of that era had them so yes definitely!

Pretty sure mine has none in the back, but it has two rear comfort seats. I suppose that's the trade off, dignitaries/celebrities or babies, your choice. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

7 months NCT and asking for €3,000. Has the rarer Sat Nav and seems to be well equipped. Gorgeous colours IMO, though they may not suit all, the wheels look well on it as well.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/jag-xj/17055590

ZDE0NmU0MjQyZjRlNjk3NDc4YmY5Mzk3ZWJlYzczMmLL543wSkjtv1Y1keH-RVFEaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b184NjgyMDA3MXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Just catching up with the past few months posts in this thread. Brilliant cars posted as always :D

But lads, go easy on the tractors. This is a luxobarge thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

My 2006 facelift 730d does not have ISOFIX in the rear, does not seem to have been standard as far as I can see.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

Get the last 7 digits of VIN, put in here and look for this option:

S470A Isofix-System

Doesn't appear to, in fact while a decent spec relative to pretty much every car on the road it appears to be pretty low spec for a 750Li.

L812A National version England / Ireland
    S1CAA Selection of COP relevant vehicles
    S220A Self-levelling suspension
    S261A Side airbags for rear passengers
    S2C1A BMW light alloy wheel, spider spoke 175
    S302A Alarm system
    S403A Glass roof, electrical
    S415A Sun-blind, rear
    S423A Floor mats, velours
    S428A Warning triangle and first aid kit
    S431A Interior mirror with automatic-dip
    S438A Fine wood trim
    S441A Smoker package
    S442A Cup holder
    S459A Seat adjuster, electric, with memory
    S488A Lumbar support, driver and passenger
    S494A Seat heating driver/passenger
    S508A Park Distance Control (PDC)
    S521A Rain sensor
    S534A Automatic air conditioning
    S548A Kilometer-calibrated speedometer
    S5ACA High-beam assistant
    S601A TV function
    S603A Rear display screen
    S609A Navigation system Professional
    S612A BMW Assist
    S620A Voice control
    S633A Preparation, mobile phone, Business
    S672A CD changer for 6 CDs
    S676A HiFi speaker system
    S696A DVD changer
    S698A Area-Code 2 for DVD
    S850A Dummy-SALAPA
    S853A Language version English
    S863A Retailer Directory Europe
    S877A Delete cross-pattern operation
    S880A On-board vehicle literature English
    S8SAA Navigation access request,country-spec.
    S8SMA Car ident. number visible from outside
    S8SPA Control unit COP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,018 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

commited wrote: »

I used to work with the chap who owned that car. It was his pride and joy and he spared no expense in keeping it ship shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭CheezePleeze

Was thinking on the way to work today, are we in the golden age of luxobarge purchasing?

In years gone by, big tax was a normal and accepted state of play if you wanted to buy something large so the prices weren't deflated hugely. Now, the old tax system is pretty much 10 years old and big cars with "cheap tax" are starting to become very attainable, further driving down the values of fantastic 10 year old barges.

All of these are available in good condition and 10 years old for less than €5k, some half that:
    GS300, GS450h, A6, A8, 730d, XJ6, CLS, S320

I don't think this value was here 5 years ago but maybe I'm wrong?

5 years ago we weren't getting insurance quotes of €2000 to own them in our thirties and forties. Insurance is the bigger problem now, not the tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭AhHaor

I wonder how much the two bubbles contributed, ending in say 01 and 07-08 and more importantly SSIAs, what proportion of LBs were bought with a huge chunk of money coming from the windfall in 2007 contributing to the purchase?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭ArnieSilvia

commited wrote:
    Was thinking on the way to work today, are we in the golden age of luxobarge purchasing?

commited wrote:
    In years gone by, big tax was a normal and accepted state of play if you wanted to buy something large so the prices weren't deflated hugely. Now, the old tax system is pretty much 10 years old and big cars with "cheap tax" are starting to become very attainable, further driving down the values of fantastic 10 year old barges.

commited wrote:
    All of these are available in good condition and 10 years old for less than €5k, some half that: GS300, GS450h, A6, A8, 730d, XJ6, CLS, S320

commited wrote:
    I don't think this value was here 5 years ago but maybe I'm wrong?

Actually would be great if someone could recall s/h prices of 10yo LB around 2006. I presume that the best time was just after recession kicked in, presumably in line with house prices, there should be a strong correlation as these two (plus boats and classic cars) are a function of disposable income. People sell LB's, boats and luxury items in a hurry at first sign of financial difficulty.

Doesn't apply much to 10yo cars I suppose, they are already at rock bottom at this stage, no matter if at height of the boom or bust. It's a function of how much it cost to fix it should anything go wrong, ie most of the time if the auto gearbox gives up, it'll be minimum 2k to fix so people budget this into purchase price. If they can't have 2k spare for repairs they won't offer say 5k but 3k and market will adjust.

The reason for barge availability at the moment is cheap tax for new cars and people owning barges going for newer cars because they can afford it again, supply on the rise, prices down.

Another reason for low barge demand is the fact that good cars improve greatly between generations (mid-upper class of cars) and if you've been in a newish Passat cc, Mazda 6 or Mondeo you'll find that NVH levels are on par with luxury cars from 2005, definitely a case with Jag S-type I own. I had a direct comparison of driving a brand new Mazda 6 vs my Jag, Mazda was basically much better and I used the Jag only for going to shops and to carry my gun dogs in the boot while wearing a waxed jacket and country cap ;) It would be a proper misfit to use Mazda for this purpose :)

• Advertisement

Barge prices for 05/06 stuff is similar to now as it was in 2013 looking at the first pages of this thread, all though I clearly remember some serious motors being sold for nothing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement