Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd say the advantage of being able to claim some VRT back on exporting these cars abroad has kept prices steady. Countries like Poland have changed their rules too where now they allow the importing of RHD cars which can mean it's cheaper to buy such car over here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Actually would be great if someone could recall s/h prices of 10yo LB around 2006. I presume that the best time was just after recession kicked in, presumably in line with house prices, there should be a strong correlation as these two (plus boats and classic cars) are a function of disposable income. People sell LB's, boats and luxury items in a hurry at first sign of financial difficulty.

In 2008, 2000-2001 E38 7 series (728, 735) models were €15-18k here depending on mileage.

I remember mine was €12k imported back then which was quite a saving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Bought my 735 in 2010 for I think €4k.

Wasn't near as tidy as yours mind.

Yeh sterling was hefty in '08, plus transport and about €2500 VRT. E38s took a bit of a dive in 2009 too when the F01 came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭ArnieSilvia

In 2008, 2000-2001 E38 7 series (728, 735) models were €15-18k here depending on mileage.

I remember mine was €12k imported back then which was quite a saving.

Equivalent 7er today (2010-2011) is 18-30k depending on mileage, based what's on DD at the moment.

It's actually more expensive today than 10 years ago, even if one included inflation which is offset by much lower disposable income (back then there was no USC and plenty other stealth taxes). Cc based motor tax was cheaper too iirc.

So not a golden era for LB ownership, apart from old stuff on last legs like mine :) and on crazy cc tax system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I paid a song for my E38 :) ... (like 100 quid and some computer hardware) ... Now .. it is an early one with a very basic spec, but it does have the 4l V8 :)

And to be honest ... the only thing that beats it in smiles per miles is my E39 M5.

So .. can you guys stop complaining, thinking about return of investment, milage, etc..

This freaking thread is about cheap, low priced, no matter how f***** old Luxobarge that will result in smiles per miles .. and that's the only factor that counts !! And no . the chances of shifting it on will be minimal. But even if you make a 50% loss, it will have been worth the fun you had and be nowhere near the depreciation of he first 4 years.

/M

Indeed, I just sold that same E38 today for €4k. Which means it only lost €8k in 10 years. And the value I reckon will only go up from there, good investment.

Indeed, I just sold that same E38 today for €4k. Which means it only lost €8k in 10 years. And the value I reckon will only go up from there, good investment.

So .. you lost under 1k per year ... you paid more than likely more in motortax (unless you dodged it the odd time) in that period ... nevermind insurance.

I believe those 8k are neglible.

Now keep thinking back ... did you enjoy that car those 10 years ? what other sort of fun could you have got for that sort of money ? We're talking under 70 EUR/month. You can easily spend 70 EUR/month on for example broadband .. or a Sky subscription. Or Beer !

/M

You should know by now there's nothing in this world i'd rather spend money on than cars. :)

To me, the madness is spending €70 a month on Sky. *shudders*

Give you another example....

In 2005, I bought a 2004-reg Volvo C70 Convertible for 43500 EUR. Now... you'll call me a lunatic for doing that, but it was a car, I always wanted and back home (in Denmark), this car would have cost me 100,000 EUR and upwards due to VRT. In Ireland the base price for the one i bought was 59,000 EUR.

I got it with 4000 miles on the clock, drove it for 30,000 miles in the year I had it and flogged it for the same money I bought it for to the next person.

So the lady, that wanted a '05 reg in 2005 (and traded this car in) took the depreciation hit. I had fun for free for a year (apart from fuel, tax and insurance) and happy days.

Luxobarge thread purchases beat that concept by miles though.

/M

• Advertisement

To me, the madness is spending €70 a month on Sky. *shudders*

Exactly .. in my h*** I would give them a penny. Much more interesting things to do :D Like burning rubber and fuel .. well .. and you might get a kick out of detailing :)

And I believe, the sort of full package without sports is 90+ EUR/month .. but I haven't checked. Couldn't be bothered. Rather check donedeal for the next interesting barge.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Marlow wrote: »
    Rather check donedeal for the next interesting barge, camper, off-roader, unusual yoke to further stuff my already overflowing shed with.

/M

FYP Marlow! :p

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Hey Marlow. You still got the Transporter?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

It looks great but I'd question why for the sake of 55e he doesn't nct it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

a years tax on it..sweet :)

To be pedantic, lwb 730ds were no where near €150k, not least with that spec. Looks in decent shape all the same.

beertons wrote: »
    Hey Marlow. You still got the Transporter?

Which one ? I have a few :) ... If you mean the white T4 I used to have with company logos or the black one with 230 bhp .. they unfortunatly had a bad end. If you mean my orange 4x4 LT, that's getting a pop top currently.

Latest project that turned up my door was a Syncro T4 Pickup. Must build a demountable for that.

/M

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Think it was the black one I liked. Must have a snoop on the laptop tomorrow for your new one so.

beertons wrote: »
    Think it was the black one I liked. Must have a snoop on the laptop tomorrow for your new one so.

Black one is unfortunatly a write off. Still have it sitting, so it can be parted out. Landed me 7 months on crutches with a crushed leg.

Thanks to bad national roads, that get flooded by rivers and night driving.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭jharr100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Must be fab if God put tyres on it (sorry)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

thats a lot of car for the money. even the tax is reasonable. A bit odd that it is manual though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Its not actually manual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Its not actually manual

serves me right for not looking beyond the first pic. at that price its a steal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

Is 279,000 km very high for one of these?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭jharr100

Kamili wrote: »
    Must be fab if God put tyres on it (sorry)

Probably Godyears

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭Furzy

With the very low level on the battery indicator and what looks like a check engine/battery warning it sounds like the hybrid battery needs replacing which would explain the low asking price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Furzy wrote: »
    With the very low level on the battery indicator and what looks like a check engine/battery warning it sounds like the hybrid battery needs replacing which would explain the low asking price.

There is no evidence of that to be honest, the fact that there are arrows displayed means that it is currently working.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-benz-cls-350-4dr-auto/14972858IMAG7040_zps8w5yb74r.jpgmercedes benz cls 350 4dr auto €4950 81.131 miles nct dec 17

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

m17 wrote: »

With the tax worth €1500 this has to be one of the best value barges.... as long as it drove OK and no faults showing in the menu it has to be worth a punt (self confessed E65/E66 fanboy.. actually all 7 series!)

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

No mention of any NCT though. What a bargain though with 1 year tax.

No mention of any NCT though. What a bargain though with 1 year tax.

NCT is Nov 2017.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

NCT is Nov 2017.

It's out on Monday.

Truckermal wrote: »
    It's out on Monday.

Devil is in the detail so- an updated NCT would put a lot of minds at rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Devil is in the detail so- an updated NCT would put a lot of minds at rest.

I don't hold out much hope as he could have done it 3 months ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

This 730d is €4300, has 5 months NCT and a far higher spec. The €900 saved can go to taxing it.

Far safer option IMO and the rear seats are class.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-730-d-fully-loaded/16989961

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Greybottle wrote: »
    This 730d is €4300, has 5 months NCT and a far higher spec. The €900 saved can go to taxing it.

Far safer option IMO and the rear seats are class.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-730-d-fully-loaded/16989961

I hate when they say fully loaded and its 60% loaded max. also that rear right light is knocked in, theres concerns there

• Advertisement

First thing I saw was the non body coloured pdc sensors on the rear, could be a very cheap repair hiding underneath. And with those miles, I wouldn't hold my breath on the engine being in the best of shape. The other one would be a better buy with lower miles and tax, hard to go wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

the 730d at E4300 says inspections welcome, looks like a legit advert etc. As for potential dodgy repairs, Id have any car inspected ... whatever about choosing not to get work done on the car, having had it inspected, fair enough, but honestly, you will end up losing far more time to time wasters and achieve less, without at least having put it through nct, then at leasy buyers till know where they stand...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

First thing I saw was the non body coloured pdc sensors on the rear, could be a very cheap repair hiding underneath. And with those miles, I wouldn't hold my breath on the engine being in the best of shape. The other one would be a better buy with lower miles and tax, hard to go wrong.
    Yeah, is the line on the boot off as a result of whatever ding it was in?
    Really lovely car apart from that in fairness. From what I can see in the pics anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭CheezePleeze

2008 Citroen C6 €1,999
    Mileage: 142,955 m / 230,057 km
    NCT Due Date: January 2018
    Tax Due Date: February 2018
    WHERE'S THE CATCH!
    d43864c90df075c94489ddbe4ca5ffe92eadce2b6c16c50c3935ccc51cc34d56.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Bill is around long enough to know a car's value so i'd imagine if he could get more for it, he would ask more for it. Mileage is high, high motor tax and not a desirable car with your average joe plus I'd imagine being a trade clearance it might need some work done on it which could be costly on a car like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭ArnieSilvia

Mileage: 142,955 m / 230,057 km NCT Due Date: January 2018 Tax Due Date: February 2018 WHERE'S THE CATCH!

2.7d is a case of not if but when it WILL break it's crankshaft in half (hollow lightweight design). At any given time there are numerous S-Types, LR discovery etc. on DD Dealer well aware of this.
    Plus, not sure what gearbox is in it, if Aisin 5 or 6 speed then great, if 4 speed Citroen one (as in petrol C5) then it's a dog and breaks a lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

All C6's were 6 speeds. Both in auto and manual

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-gs300-sport-tax-nct/16329218IMAG9001_zpsoobowgkz.jpg2006 Lexus gs300 sport 138,000 kms nct09/18 €5200

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/daimler-4-0-v8-auto-nct-11-18/17237312

NmQ2NzQxY2Y5Zjc2MjY4YzIxNTQzNmRjOTgzOTM2OWEnhA1rPNUUESAW8QBXjU0MaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b184ODY5ODMwNXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Daimler V8 with 12 months NCT €2250. Looks kinda shady but cheap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

"Wana buy a jag, boss?"
    :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement