Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

bear1 wrote: »
    That's fine, it's your own thoughts and that's that.
    No relevance to this thread at all at this point

Its relevant in that the gs450h doesnt have folding seats but specifically because the batteries dont allow it. Its a significant draw back for that car for many potential purchasers. To explain it away by saying that saloons dont have folding seats for the most part is utterly wrong in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Okay was is the story here - Merc estate 300 taxed as a goods vehicle. I thought they'd put a stop to this - as you can see from the ad the windows and seats are still in place.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mercedes-e300-td-2-seat-commercial/16990508

He converted it before the law changed anyway that's mad money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭koutoubia

3500 for a 98 EKlasse.....Maybe it should be in the dreamers thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

mickdw wrote: »
    Its relevant in that the gs450h doesnt have folding seats but specifically because the batteries dont allow it. Its a significant draw back for that car for many potential purchasers. To explain it away by saying that saloons dont have folding seats for the most part is utterly wrong in my opinion.

It's hardly utterly wrong if the consensus is that some saloons do and some don't.
    We are derailing the thread again and I'd say it's best to leave it there before posters get pissed off trawling through these posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

bear1 wrote: »
    It's hardly utterly wrong if the consensus is that some saloons do and some don't.
    We are derailing the thread again and I'd say it's best to leave it there before posters get pissed off trawling through these posts.
    In fairness what killed GS450h as an option for me was the generally poor luggage space.

Can vouch that A6 (c5 at least) has split folding rear seats (and nicely implemented so they don't catch/foul the seatbelts). On some cars I think it was an option, so it's hard to generalise, but it's not a rare option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭morritty

All my saloons have had fold down rear seat. Same for anyone I've known with a saloon except an E36.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/immaculate-luxury-bmw-730-l-3-0d-2008-limousine/16934016IMAG10042_zps6segg1cj.jpgIMAG10043_zpsmkz2pgo2.jpg2008 bmw 730d 190,000 miles r/t €1200 nct 01/19 €6950 it's a little over budget but it's not going to break the bank

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Teddington Cuddlesworth

Folding rear seats are an optional extra on the IS, except in the F sport, they are fitted as standard in those.

It's the same story in the newer shape GS, I don't know if it applies to the older shape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭Furzy

YzNjZmFlZmY2MzgyNmYzNjU1NDk5YzZiODkzNGU4MDhXl4V4YrWxcaOUFgcSCc80aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185MDA5ODkwOHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/17398859Lexus GS 3.0 Executive

.... here’s one that’s come down to Bangernomics price and declaring only 79k miles.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Here is another Lexus GS450H - one owner, 80k miles and €3650.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-gs-450-h-2007-awesome-car/17536666

NmEwYzBlYmY5NDlhMDdlMWZmMzYxMGVkYTk1Zjc3OTipnViAtzf1KAv7qzhZGfBgaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185MTE2NDUzNHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Advertisement

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-gs-450-hybrid/17547775

08 Hybrid with Tax and Test just under budget but all it's worth realistically..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

That's lovely. I can't understand why people don't put mileage in. Only pisses potential buyers off

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Here is another Lexus GS450H - one owner, 80k miles and €3650.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-gs-450-h-2007-awesome-car/17536666

NmEwYzBlYmY5NDlhMDdlMWZmMzYxMGVkYTk1Zjc3OTipnViAtzf1KAv7qzhZGfBgaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185MTE2NDUzNHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Truckermal wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-gs-450-hybrid/17547775

08 Hybrid with Tax and Test just under budget but all it's worth realistically..

Thanks Mal, out of interest your point on value is that based on the spec or lack of it. I don't know the mileage, cheers

beertons wrote: »
    Sold.

No ... price reduced further (and for good reason given the repairs needed!).

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-gs-450-h-2007-awesome-car/17542927

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Are the Lexus GS in the 5 series/e class/a6 segment or the 7 series/ s class/a8 segment?

I always thought it was the LS that was the luxobarge. Huge amount of GS in this thread but never the Merc Audi BMW equivalent 5 series e class or a6.

But maybe I have my segments wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

They would be a competitor against high end big engined 5 series, A6 and E Class models. Thankfully they didn't bother mangling the 2.2 diesel into them.

Might potentially be interested in one. I normally look at the Germans but a 3.5 litre hybrid with 750 tax post 08 for 5 grand asking price looks good to me.

Engine aside, how do they compare to the e60 5 series for example?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Might potentially be interested in one. I normally look at the Germans but a 3.5 litre hybrid with 750 tax post 08 for 5 grand asking price looks good to me.

Engine aside, how do they compare to the e60 5 series for example?

There's a huge jump in price for post 07 models.

Easily 3-5k for the same car with a different number plate.

There's a huge jump in price for post 07 models.

Easily 3-5k for the same car with a different number plate.[/quote]

There was one linked a few posts back for 4999 which is an 08

• Advertisement

MAJJ wrote: »
    Thanks Mal, out of interest your point on value is that based on the spec or lack of it. I don't know the mileage, cheers

About 250K on that, those cars are nearly 10 years old at this stage plus the new model from 2012 on is falling in value too, I seen a 12 one for 19K a few months ago and they are .much cheaper to run.

Truckermal wrote: »
    About 250K on that, those cars are nearly 10 years old at this stage plus the new model from 2012 on is falling in value too, I seen a 12 one for 19K a few months ago and they are .much cheaper to run.

The newer shape are far cheaper to run but you can't compare an 2005-10 GS450h to a 2011+ GS300h.
    Two completely different cars, the GS300h is now more comparable to a 2010+ 520d.

The newer shape are far cheaper to run but you can't compare an 2005-10 GS450h to a 2011+ GS300h.
    Two completely different cars, the GS300h is now more comparable to a 2010+ 520d.

There is a 2011 on gs450h too you know.

mickdw wrote: »
    There is a 2011 on gs450h too you know.

Ah I know yea but they haven't sold well at all in Ireland, and you won't be getting a 2011 for 19k, as was referenced in the previous post I was replying too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Ah I know yea but they haven't sold well at all in Ireland, and you won't be getting a 2011 for 19k, as was referenced in the previous post I was replying too.

Ad is gone now, but this was for sale a few months ago for sub €20k. 2012 450h

YTdiMzFlZmEwMmEyMGU4NTM5NjQ5N2VjZTI5YWE0MDWKp8LE0ikDCWQ64unvOzbOaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b184NjYyMzA1OXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

I stand corrected so, not sure how I missed that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Does the Porsche Cayenne qualify as a luxobarge? Luxo enough? Bargey enough? I honestly don't know.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/porsche-cayenne-4-5s-v8-2003-quot-low-mileage-mint/17074966

Quite a few going now within thread budget though I presume you want your eyes wide open buying anything with a Porsche badge for that money. I know two people who had their hearts broken buying budget 911s for multiples of these prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Wouldn't touch it tbh.
    Apart from it being **** ugly.

I remember years ago my dad saw the Porsche Cayenne for first time, he was always a 4x4 driver Discoverys, Landcruisers etc and he thought that the cayenne was a Daewoo.
    Horrible ugly things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Funny, I love them and always wanted to own one. Tempting that they are super cheap now.
    I will have a v8 one at some stage. LPG converted if it's for daily driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Those first gen Cayennes have aged poorly imo.

NzE1NTRmZjY4ODA2MmY5OWM2YjZiY2UyNmIzNTI4NGH7BmjGB6-xsRo4eSd3-y8aaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b184ODEzMTYwNHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-rx-2007-1-owner-hybryd-like-new/17181687

Here’s an alternative to the Porche and one that I’m seriously considering as it has the comfort and the goodies of the GS450h but with decent boot space and folding seats. I've found one similar to the above with low miles and decent service history but I’m hesitant about pulling the plug because I figure it will be impossible to sell after say 3 years because the 2010 low tax models will have dropped in price. So it seems to make more financial sense to go for the 2010 now at a cost of about €18k and sell on in 3 years for 9-10k (8.5k cost for 3yr) versus sinking 5k plus 4.5k extra road tax into the 06-07 model (9.5k cost for 3yr). Seems counter-intuitive and I’m less comfortable with the higher cost car but looks like lower road tax will be the end of the cheap luxobarge. Any opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Brasso

Huge reliability advantage for the Lexus over the Porsche there too I would say. Just looking at how that new model is a very low €280 or €390 per year to tax vs €1809 for the old model you're looking at a pretty significant saving over 3 years. I can see that tipping the balance in favour of the newer version as long as you don't mind the interest on a loan or opportunity cost of buying outright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I fully agree that they're ugly as sin. But IMO most of the barges gracing these pages are pretty hideous on the outside. All the Lexii, a lot of the Mercs, older and newer 7ers and to a lesser extent the XJ style Daimlers and Jags, but that misses the point of the luxobarge IMO. The pleasure is on the inside and in the driving.

That said, I don't think I've ever seen a Porsche interior that looked better than OK but a few times I've seen a Cayenne take off and it's taken me a second to accept that I'm seeing something that big move so fast, including one that tore up a road with speed bumps as if they weren't there. Maybe that's not the type of wafting along that a barge does best though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

milltown wrote: »
    older 7ers

Wash your mouth! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Furzy wrote: »
    NzE1NTRmZjY4ODA2MmY5OWM2YjZiY2UyNmIzNTI4NGH7BmjGB6-xsRo4eSd3-y8aaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b184ODEzMTYwNHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-rx-2007-1-owner-hybryd-like-new/17181687

Here’s an alternative to the Porche and one that I’m seriously considering as it has the comfort and the goodies of the GS450h but with decent boot space and folding seats. I've found one similar to the above with low miles and decent service history but I’m hesitant about pulling the plug because I figure it will be impossible to sell after say 3 years because the 2010 low tax models will have dropped in price. So it seems to make more financial sense to go for the 2010 now at a cost of about €18k and sell on in 3 years for 9-10k (8.5k cost for 3yr) versus sinking 5k plus 4.5k extra road tax into the 06-07 model (9.5k cost for 3yr). Seems counter-intuitive and I’m less comfortable with the higher cost car but looks like lower road tax will be the end of the cheap luxobarge. Any opinions?

If it was me I would go with a pre 2008, keep for 2 years, then stick up for sale with 3 months tax and NCT, should get €2k all day long. Then if your still fond of them which you may or may not be buy the 2010 model which by then will have depreciated from €18k to much nearer €10k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

milltown wrote: »
    I fully agree that they're ugly as sin. But IMO most of the barges gracing these pages are pretty hideous on the outside. All the Lexii, a lot of the Mercs, older and newer 7ers and to a lesser extent the XJ style Daimlers and Jags, but that misses the point of the luxobarge IMO. The pleasure is on the inside and in the driving.

That said, I don't think I've ever seen a Porsche interior that looked better than OK but a few times I've seen a Cayenne take off and it's taken me a second to accept that I'm seeing something that big move so fast, including one that tore up a road with speed bumps as if they weren't there. Maybe that's not the type of wafting along that a barge does best though.
    Agreed. Just bought an S500 lwb. The only good looking barge in my opinion from around the 2006 era. The facelift 7 series isn't bad...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭jharr100

Brasso wrote: »
    Huge reliability advantage for the Lexus over the Porsche there too I would say. Just looking at how that new model is a very low €280 or €390 per year to tax vs €1809 for the old model you're looking at a pretty significant saving over 3 years. I can see that tipping the balance in favour of the newer version as long as you don't mind the interest on a loan or opportunity cost of buying outright.

The 08 is 1200 to tax per annum, afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Agreed. Just bought an S500 lwb. The only good looking barge in my opinion from around the 2006 era. The facelift 7 series isn't bad...

Fair play man, great car!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Brasso

jharr100 wrote: »
    The 08 is 1200 to tax per annum, afaik

Yeah I think 08 is still an older model, Furzy was talking about the newer model that came around 09 or 10 I believe.

• Advertisement

Brasso wrote: »
    Yeah I think 08 is still an older model, Furzy was talking about the newer model that came around 09 or 10 I believe.

Yes, the 08 is still the Rx400h - same as the earlier (from 05) model but lower tax of 1200 based on CO2 emissions vs 1800 of earlier years. Very few 08 specimens for sale and they seem to command a premium of at least 2k. The first of newer Rx450h model came in late 09.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭jharr100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes I think so. A couple months back there was a similar one for sale but I think that ad you have is a higher spec again. Ownership on that one was changed to an individual on 15/12/2017, would have to ask yourself why someone would want to offload it within just over a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Is the angle of the dash-screen adjustable - or do they all face the floor in the rear of the car? :eek:

That looks savage! I only spent a few bob on my own GS this week fixing a oil leak plus changing the gear and diff oil! The wheels look great on that and not the normal boring yokes that come with a Lexus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Wouldn't be a Volvo fan but that s80 is really nice.. it's just something different then the usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭lassykk

Excuse my ignorance here but what's the risk you see?

lassykk wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance here but what's the risk you see?

Now to answer for Duke but it would be seriously risky for me too. CL can be a money pit at best of times. A cheap early CL could easily run up repair bills of multiples of the purchase price in a very short time.
    A car that cost as much as a house new can be fairly scary if ot goes wrong which these often did.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement