Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

homer90 wrote: »
    Luxurious barge it is.

Serious value imo. Short test however, if you could negotiate a test into the deal,

Take my money.

MjU5OGU1MmQxMThlYzRjNzc5NDA2YmMzZTAwMmEzYzFStxkzopjURKYm0fomkqvIaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185MjI3MjIyMnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

€4950

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/jaguar-xf-premium-luxury-model-2008/17678117

Lovely motor,even nicer pile of stones behind it though..

homer90 wrote: »
    NjBjNzgxMmZhN2MxNzdjOGRhZWI0N2E0NWZjYjBlNWUTu0FH4Ru_ewB1YP1Ebk1EaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185MjIxNjQ3NHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Service history would need a good going over. A rare sight on there roads, love it for that reason alone !!

€5250.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-phaeton-executive-3-0-tdi-2006/17639759?campaign=3d

I'm waiting on the "sure that's just a big pissat" ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

What are those XFs like as a daily? Would absolutely love one as an upgrade to my Xtype...

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Teddington Cuddlesworth

Kamili wrote: »
    What are those XFs like as a daily? Would absolutely love one as an upgrade to my Xtype...

Very firm ride.
    If you're over 6ft you're going to find your knees will become well acquainted with the dashboard when getting into the car.
    Other than that they are a great alternative to a 530d. The 2.7 isn't as fast as a 530d but it'll still put a smile on your face.
    The prices the 1st gen are at are stonking good value. The neighbours will definitely think it's worth a lot more than what you will have paid for it.

Very firm ride.
    If you're over 6ft you're going to find your knees will become well acquainted with the dashboard when getting into the car.
    Other than that they are a great alternative to a 530d. The 2.7 isn't as fast as a 530d but it'll still put a smile on your face.
    The prices the 1st gen are at are stonking good value. The neighbours will definitely think it's worth a lot more than what you will have paid for it.

Lol deffo not over 6ft, barely over 5ft so I won't have that issue.

Is the 3 litre diesel a better buy or would the petrol version be better again?

The only issue I would have would be the tax on the first gen..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,468 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Kamili wrote: »
    Lol deffo not over 6ft, barely over 5ft so I won't have that issue.

Is the 3 litre diesel a better buy or would the petrol version be better again?

The only issue I would have would be the tax on the first gen..

I think they are now shockingly dated looking but no doubt would be a great car for the money. If i remember right, the 3.0 d is far ahead of the 2.7 and much cheaper to tax too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

Yes, the 2.7 is an old design thirsty engine. The newer 3.0 is more powerful and economical (and cheaper to tax)

Yup it's 750 as opposed to the 2.7 at 1200.

Not far off the 710 I'm paying currently for the Xtype..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

3.0d is more powerful yet more fuel efficient than the 2.7d. It's also more reliable and refined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

And that dash vent stuck halfway open would really get on my wick.
    Dunno much about Jags but those type of electrical niggles are probably the type of things that can make a barge expensive to own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

I'm waiting on the "sure that's just a big pissat" ..

Think owners prefer the term "baby Bentley"

To be fair its a reasonsble connection to make - the bentley one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Big Nasty wrote: »
    An E-Class isn't a Luxobarge. We're talking full size cars here, think S-Class, 7 Series, A8 and the big Toyota thing! :p

Nothing wrong with an E-Class though. Petrol would suit your mileage better.

also isnt the smallest diesel 2.1 or 2.2 so petrol probably more suitable for you, less to go wrong, cheaper motor tax, doesnt run on tractor juice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I thought that was the Chrysler owners name for their car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

jayo26 wrote: »
    I thought that was the Chrysler owners name for their car.

Phaeton is technically very close to a Bentley Continental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

grogi wrote: »

I know but usually only heard the 300c been called the baby Bentley.

jayo26 wrote: »
    I know but usually only heard the 300c been called the baby Bentley.

The front grills were interchangeable...similarities stop there though.
    Always liked the 300c. They remind me of a Mafia Staff Car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

grogi wrote: »

Yes,yes indeed.Shur a skoda Octavia and a veyron are first cousins when you look at it like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

magentis wrote: »
    Yes,yes indeed.Shur a skoda Octavia and a veyron are first cousins when you look at it like that.

same platform as a bentley continental and the w12 engine is also used the in the continental.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭ArnieSilvia

same platform as a bentley continental and the w12 engine is also used the in the continental.

Egg and chicken situation maybe, but is it a result the Continental is not a patch on a RR Phantom

Personally I would stomach the awkward pissat look of the phaeton but not the interior with its stupid VWism about it, particularly the ugliest steering wheel ever- meh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Egg and chicken situation maybe, but is it a result the Continental is not a patch on a RR Phantom

Right, well that's shifting the goalposts quite significantly.

Each to their own I guess, but I always admired the overengineering that went into the Phaeton. Reminded me of Mercedes in the good old days. I'll give you that if you want to stand out as 'look at the expensive barge I'm driving' then it's not that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Personally I would stomach the awkward pissat look of the phaeton but not the interior with its stupid VWism about it, particularly the ugliest steering wheel ever- meh

the bentley is also half the price of the phantom so i'm not sure why you would make that comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

the bentley is also half the price of the phantom so i'm not sure why you would make that comparison.

Always liked the phaeton but it has aged poorly, secondly that 3.0 diesel is essentially a paddy spec version and I'd wonder what the spec is like compared to the W12 which I'm almost sure there are none in the country?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Always liked the phaeton but it has aged poorly, secondly that 3.0 diesel is essentially a paddy spec version and I'd wonder what the spec is like compared to the W12 which I'm almost sure there are none in the country?

there definitely was atleast 1 w12 phaeton on irish plates.

the audi a8 is on the same platform aswell.

the phaeton is an amazing car and is basically a budget bentley, that said at 5 grand or less for a w12 id take it, but considering flying spur's are now getting sub £20k stg and a8 w12's have been sold here for 12k , the phaeton would need to be that cheap to make it a contender.

there definitely was atleast 1 w12 phaeton on irish plates.

the audi a8 is on the same platform aswell.

the phaeton is an amazing car and is basically a budget bentley, that said at 5 grand or less for a w12 id take it, but considering flying spur's are now getting sub £20k stg and a8 w12's have been sold here for 12k , the phaeton would need to be that cheap to make it a contender.

The 3.0 litre A8 would offer significantly better value and curb side appeal,as I said I like the phaeton for its subitleness but I wouldn't be prepaired to pay a huge premium over the equivalent Audi for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-ls-460-nct-09-2019/17330321IMAG10218_zpsf2j3efoi.jpg2IMAG10217_zpsrtr2gnzy.jpg2008 Lexus ls460 280,473kms nct 09/19 €6,950

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The 3.0 litre A8 would offer significantly better value and curb side appeal,as I said I like the phaeton for its subitleness but I wouldn't be prepaired to pay a huge premium over the equivalent Audi for one.
    I don't care what Joe walking down the street thinks my car looks like on the kerb, that's not the point!

I'd love a v10 phaeton but couldnt stomach all that tax for a diesel.

ELM327 wrote: »
    I don't care what Joe walking down the street thinks my car looks like on the kerb, that's not the point!

I'd love a v10 phaeton but couldnt stomach all that tax for a diesel.

Either do I care, I ran an avantime as a daily for years! But I wouldn't be prepared to pay substantially more for what is in effect the very same car but with less badge appeal, it just doesn't make sense to me.

Either do I care, I ran an avantime as a daily for years! .

You won't care about it, but you sir, have my respect.

• Advertisement

Still have it too, couldn't bring myself to sell it when the boss decided to replace it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Schorpio

It's not a barge, but it's a car I've always wanted....and I don't really know why!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

• Registered Users Posts: 15 emergencylime

rocky wrote: »

That LS didn't stay long, I'll look out for it coming back up with a valet and wax and a few € added!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

rocky wrote: »

theres something really suspicious about that car. It has the button for vented seats up front but theyre not perforated leather , has rear nav and rear adjustable seats but the front arent comfort seats , I think somebody did a swap on the fronts at some point.

• Advertisement

theres something really suspicious about that car. It has the button for vented seats up front but theyre not perforated leather , has rear nav and rear adjustable seats but the front arent comfort seats , I think somebody did a swap on the fronts at some point.

They look perforated front and back to me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

I would have thought that if doing a spec for a chauffeur driven limo then front comfort seats could be omitted. This is an Li (long wheel base) after all.... and given that the back is so well specced it could well have started life as a chauffeur driven model.

On the plus side I will/should be able to spell chauffeur without looking it up after this post :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Last of the seriously well built S-Class with no major electric quibbles. It was the last one designed and built by engineers.

6 cylinder models aren't to everybodies taste, but the V8 and V 12's are getting rare and hard to find. But for Luxobargeonomics it's a bit cheaper to run with tax, economy and repairs.

W140 S280, New NCT 02/19, €4,000. 6 weeks tax as a sweetner.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1996-mercedes-benz-s-class-s280-93-98-04dr-a/15435865

MmMwYWFlOGIxZGIwNjNmNTg4NTU5MWQwZWY4YjI0ZDW6qaEXEFiUTf-VN3YP_w8KaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185MDgxODA5NHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

For those who fancy dsomething with more OOOMMPH!! then JP McManus' old 600 SEL is for sale here for €5,500. NCT ran out 18 months ago, so Christ knows what it'll cost to get this roadworthy. Sad end to it really.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/s600-v12/17599935

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Comes with an original Nokia 6310 phone too. Worth the money for that alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Greybottle wrote: »
    Last of the seriously well built S-Class with no major electric quibbles. It was the last one designed and built by engineers.

6 cylinder models aren't to everybodies taste, but the V8 and V 12's are getting rare and hard to find. But for Luxobargeonomics it's a bit cheaper to run with tax, economy and repairs.

W140 S280, New NCT 02/19, €4,000. 6 weeks tax as a sweetner.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1996-mercedes-benz-s-class-s280-93-98-04dr-a/15435865

MmMwYWFlOGIxZGIwNjNmNTg4NTU5MWQwZWY4YjI0ZDW6qaEXEFiUTf-VN3YP_w8KaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185MDgxODA5NHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

For those who fancy dsomething with more OOOMMPH!! then JP McManus' old 600 SEL is for sale here for €5,500. NCT ran out 18 months ago, so Christ knows what it'll cost to get this roadworthy. Sad end to it really.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/s600-v12/17599935

What's even sadder is seller says he will swap for a good van! It's a s600 ffs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Not worth the asking though, possibly badly neglected and they cost a lot to fix. I don't think that there are too many people around who would take it on, so realistically it's worth a lot less.

Like I said, sad end to an interesting car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Greybottle wrote: »

Not worth the asking though, possibly badly neglected and they cost a lot to fix. I don't think that there are too many people around who would take it on, so realistically it's worth a lot less.

Like I said, sad end to an interesting car.

I never even looked at price. No it's not worth that price if it needs work. For an enthusiast good with tools only this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/flory/17768150IMAG10380_zpszze98ebu.jpg2007 BMW 730 nct 02/18 130,000 miles €6,800 a little over budget but it's not going to break the bank

m17 wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/flory/17768150IMAG10380_zpszze98ebu.jpg2007 BMW 730 nct 02/18 130,000 miles €6,800 a little over budget but it's not going to break the bank

Basically no nct & is there anything in the world tackier than those BMW signs projected from the doors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Basically no nct & is there anything in the world tackier than those BMW signs projected from the doors

I thought they were photoshopped in the pic. I kinda like them... I know I'm a sad git.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

jca wrote: »
    I thought they were photoshopped in the pic. I kinda like them... I know I'm a sad git.
    Nope. They're led lights that fit in the bottom of the door trim.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Wireless-Car-CREE-LED-Door-Welcome-Light-Projector-Shadow-Lamp-for-Ford-BMW/182740314414?hash=item2a8c2be92e:m:mWNdr4HUrtf2FS9W6clNfzg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭jharr100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

jharr100 wrote: »

nice, but they look so much better in LWB in my opinion...

If that mileage happened to be correct and I find it hard to believe that it could be, that car would be bargain of the century. They are stunning cars for 6k.

mickdw wrote: »
    If that mileage happened to be correct and I find it hard to believe that it could be, that car would be bargain of the century. They are stunning cars for 6k.

Must be just me but I feel that period was a real low point in S class & 7 series designs, I don't like either late 00's options

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement