Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

bear1 wrote: »
    I always wondered on those S-classes what was that pulse thing on both front seats?
    I test drove an S320 petrol about a month and it was a lovely thing to go, power on the off.
    I cant seem to find a version identical to it though (albeit a diesel) :(
    It had the pulse thing, tv/sat nav and rear heated seats, xenon etc etc, almost handed the cash over until I realised that pure cost of running it would cripple me.

Sounds like really good spec for an S320.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Unbelievable spec, if only it was a diesel. it was as sweet as a nut to drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Not possible. Potential psvs have to be examined by the NCT centre to prove suitability and there's a pre-approved list on the taxi regulator so a 2 door coupe certainly isn't gonna pass.
    Cars like the Alfa 156 and Seat Leon can't be used due to the "hidden" rear door handles.
    So if its true, he's got a false disc in the window.

Hmm where does one get these disks!:pac:
    I had a look this morning and everything looks legit on it.
    There's also two certs, one on the front and one on the rear saying small public service vehicle jaguar xk 8.
    I'd post pics of it but it isn't my car.

Also there's a few 156 taxis going around town. There rough though and I'd never get in one.
    I'm not doubting you by the way, just curious as to how an xk8 can be taxed as one. If he had a few limos as well would he be able to tax it as a psv?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

I always wondered on those S-classes what was that pulse thing on both front seats?
    I test drove an S320 petrol about a month and it was a lovely thing to go, power on the off.
    I cant seem to find a version identical to it though (albeit a diesel) :(
    It had the pulse thing, tv/sat nav and rear heated seats, xenon etc etc, almost handed the cash over until I realised that pure cost of running it would cripple me.
    What are the mpg figures like on these, thinking of taking a job closer to home in the new year, just wondering would an s320 converted to LPG be a runner for it

What are the mpg figures like on these, thinking of taking a job closer to home in the new year, just wondering would an s320 converted to LPG be a runner for it

From the read-out display the average was showing roughly 28mpg combined.
    A quick check on parkers shows average of 24mpg and thats with an 88 litre tank.
    The 320CDI shows an average of 35mpg which is quite good on such a car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

I thought you were looking for a diesel....:pac:

Thats some car. I dread to think what some developer paid for it 9 years ago. Well over 100 k im guessing:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,595 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Scortho wrote: »

Thats some car. I dread to think what some developer paid for it 9 years ago. Well over 100 k im guessing:eek:

List price on a CL500 in 2004 was over €156k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

List price on a CL500 in 2004 was over €156k.
    Sweet baby jesus.... over €16,000 per year in depriciation .
    Plus I doubt he will get €9.5k for it now either.

I thought you were looking for a diesel....:pac:

Yes but I can still dream :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-benz-s-class-s-320-cdi/5828815

:)

I forgot to mention that the 320 petrol I saw was the 320L, longer wheelbase :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Hmm where does one get these disks!:pac:
    I had a look this morning and everything looks legit on it.
    There's also two certs, one on the front and one on the rear saying small public service vehicle jaguar xk 8.
    I'd post pics of it but it isn't my car.

Also there's a few 156 taxis going around town. There rough though and I'd never get in one.
    I'm not doubting you by the way, just curious as to how an xk8 can be taxed as one. If he had a few limos as well would he be able to tax it as a psv?
    Not possible. Potential psvs have to be examined by the NCT centre to prove suitability and there's a pre-approved list on the taxi regulator so a 2 door coupe certainly isn't gonna pass.
    Cars like the Alfa 156 and Seat Leon can't be used due to the "hidden" rear door handles.
    So if its true, he's got a false disc in the window.

You should download this app

http://www.transportforireland.ie/taxi/taxi-driver-check/

bang in the registration number and it will tell you if it's legit or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

cadaliac wrote: »

Nowhere near that. I've seen 03+ facelift models at sub 4.5k. They tend to move quickly at that price though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

Great app.

I also use carsireland to the get the tax/nct dates

That 04 lexus is registered as a taxi until next May. Tax expires 05/14, nct expires 04/14

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

mullingar wrote: »
    Great app.

I also use carsireland to the get the tax/nct dates

That 04 lexus is registered as a taxi until next May. Tax expires 05/14, nct expires 04/14

Can the tax and NCT be checked on carsireland for free..?

EDIT: Neverrr mind. Just figured it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

I drove this today. Whether I buy this one or another I think I'm in love.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-ls-petrol/5767000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

cadaliac wrote: »

16k a year is nothing for that machine. If buying new one would expect around 20% of 150k or 30k a year. Add to that fuel, tax, insurance as well as finance and would be around 40k a year for the first 3 years. Or put it another way 75k before tax. It requires you to be a successful businessman to say the least. No one who buys that machine new would drive it after 3 years as the game is up at that point as its old hat.
    Theres a post over on Pistonheads of someone buying a Cl55Amg and Mercedes estimating 9000 stg to sort it out!
    They are very expensive machines to run and thats apart from mpg and tax issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

lomb wrote: »
    16k a year is nothing for that machine. If buying new one would expect around 20% of 150k or 30k a year. Add to that fuel, tax, insurance as well as finance and would be around 40k a year for the first 3 years. Or put it another way 75k before tax. It requires you to be a successful businessman to say the least. No one who buys that machine new would drive it after 3 years as the game is up at that point as its old hat.
    Theres a post over on Pistonheads of someone buying a Cl55Amg and Mercedes estimating 9000 stg to sort it out!
    They are very expensive machines to run and thats apart from mpg and tax issues.

If buying a luxobarge you're better off hovering around the 2002 era IMO. Anything more and you're looking at mega gold for repairs. Pre 03 stuff is a lot more manageable. You could prob stretch to 04/05 with Lexii.

• Advertisement

I remember reading an article saying the Ls430 of that era was proven to be the most reliable car in the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,883 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I remember reading a review of an early LS400 about 20 years ago. It had done 185k miles and the journos reckoned it was literally as good as new :)

Big Nasty wrote: »
    If buying a luxobarge you're better off hovering around the 2002 era IMO. Anything more and you're looking at mega gold for repairs. Pre 03 stuff is a lot more manageable. You could prob stretch to 04/05 with Lexii.

True to a point. The S class had air suspension across all models in 1999 and the 500 sl had it around 2000 and this always fails costing thousands needlessly in repairs. . On the merc forums people are recommend running with the e class due to the s being a moneypit. Likewise the 350sl is the one to go for. Someone posted about spending 1000 quid every other month for a year on a 2002 500 sl at 100000 miles due to failures. Most of the failures were linked to the air suspension.

Yeah, I believe some Mercs from the early '00 had serious build quality/reliability problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

mullingar wrote: »
    Yeah, I believe some Mercs from the early '00 had serious build quality/reliability problems

+1

I think it came from a reputation of being overpriced. Cutbacks resulted in just shoddy build quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

pajor wrote: »
    +1

I think it came from a reputation of being overpriced. Cutbacks resulted in just shoddy build quality.

Early 90s to start 00's = horrendous rust and galvanic corrosion problems
    00 to late 00's = no rust issues but gearbox, ecu, general random electric failures rampant.

Mercs are indeed a purchase for the gambler. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Does no one replace the shocks with regular shocks on the mercs? Obviously its not like with like, but it would be a third of the price no doubt. Everyone does it on the E38s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

kevpants wrote: »
    I drove this today. Whether I buy this one or another I think I'm in love.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-ls-petrol/5767000

Very nice:)

Very nice:)

It took me 20 mins to finish pushing all the buttons to make sure they worked. Everything did, once I figured them all out, bar the electric steering wheel adjuster, you can do in/out but not up/down. The seats are not only heated but there's some kind of fan in them, if you hold your hand over the seat you can feel air gently wafting up through the pores in the leather!

I'd also wager seven millionty euros that everyone who's ever turned the key in one for the first time has either said or thought, "is it on?" and then poked the accelerator to make sure. Every. One.

Everything did, once I figured them all out, bar the electric steering wheel

Not a cheap fix by the way, motor is expensive. So much info on these cars at the club lexus forum.

Don't want to clutter up the thread with replies regarding the ls430, so you're welcome to PM me if you need any advice.

It took me 20 mins to finish pushing all the buttons to make sure they worked. Everything did, once I figured them all out

Did you buy it kev, or are you a tyre kicker / time waster? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,663 ✭✭✭✭Esel

daRobot wrote: »
    Not a cheap fix by the way, motor is expensive. So much info on these cars at the club lexus forum.

Don't want to clutter up the thread with replies regarding the ls430, so you're welcome to PM me if you need any advice.
    Probably repairable though, for a luxonomics owner?

Not your ornery onager

daRobot wrote: »

It wouldn't be a dealbreaker, the driving position I could set it up in was pretty spot on. With such an adjustable seat it'd be unlikely anyone couldn't get comfortable.
    unkel wrote: »
    Did you buy it kev, or are you a tyre kicker / time waster? :pac:

Worse, I'm married. The "2012 VW CC to 2002 Toyota" pitch is being finalised and tweaked as we speak.

I'll stop filling this thread with my own bumf now. Will update post purchase!

It wouldn't be a dealbreaker, the driving position I could set it up in was pretty spot on. With such an adjustable seat it'd be unlikely anyone couldn't get comfortable.

Just so you know, if that 2002 one is the one you're going for, it's the pre-facelift model (newer one is late 03-) with the 5 speed box, and assuming it has no nav (as it's not mentioned/pictured), it's running on standard springs not air. The later models have a 6 speed, and are all on air.

Finally, the timing belt needs to be done by those miles (which is a 600 euro + job at an indy), so look for proof of that. It's advisable to get the water pump changed which you're in there aswell, as you need to remove the belt to get to it, and the part is only 100 euro or so.

Right, no more Lexus posts! If you want a look at a facelift model, and you're around the Blackrock area, you're welcome to have a spin in mine.

Good luck whatever one you go for :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Think I told ye before about my mothers Uncle (80 odd) driving an LS and coming out of a petrol station, foot down on the accelerator and nothing happening, until he looked in the mirror and saw smoke. Did a massive burnout in it and didn't even realise! Poowweerrr :P

I'd also wager seven millionty euros that everyone who's ever turned the key in one for the first time has either said or thought, "is it on?" and then poked the accelerator to make sure. Every. One.

Is that a good thing though? I want to hear the engine burbling both at idle and roaring at full power. I suppose there is a market for everything and its a nice looking machine. I was in the President one back around 2002 or 03 at the UK motor show and was very impressed by all the gadgets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Worse, I'm married. The "2012 VW CC to 2002 Toyota" pitch is being finalised and tweaked as we speak.

I'll stop filling this thread with my own bumf now. Will update post purchase!

Go for it Kev, and best wishes with your purchase. We only live once!

Looking forward to your updates.

Enjoy!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

unkel wrote: »
    I remember reading a review of an early LS400 about 20 years ago. It had done 185k miles and the journos reckoned it was literally as good as new :)

The original LS400 had to be adjusted just before launch, it seems that their sound proofing was too good and people were complaining that they were hearing nothing from the engine. So they actually took some sound proofing out!

Most UK journalists remarked that it was quieter than the Rolls Royce of the time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,595 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Wasn't Lexus salespeople's set piece back in the day to pop the bonnet, place a coin on its edge on top of the engine cover and start the car. Coin would stay standing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Wasn't Lexus salespeople's set piece back in the day to pop the bonnet, place a coin on its edge on top of the engine cover and start the car. Coin would stay standing!

Nah, it was BMW salesman showing off the V12 in the 7 and 8 Series. They would place a 1 DM coin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,962 ✭✭✭Soarer

22 years old and 313,000 kms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Sobanek wrote: »
    Nah, it was BMW salesman showing off the V12 in the 7 and 8 Series. They would place a 1 DM coin.

I've seen it done with almost every luxury car to be honest.

Soarer wrote: »
    22 years old and 313,000 kms.

That's pretty impressive for a V8, which is inherently not a well balanced engine (like a straight six or a V12)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

CianRyan wrote: »
    I've seen it done with almost every luxury car to be honest.

Jag used to do it with the xj12 as well. Place a coin on edge and rev the engine and it wouldn't budge. I don't think id enjoy driving a car that was that refined tbh. If I buy something powerful i want it to snarl and growl.

What would a 500SEC be like compared to a modern car? The economics stack up on LPG. Ie road tax 50e, lpg for 10000 miles 2000, insurance 500, maintainance 1000. Still way under that of a modern golf type machine with a 5l v8 up front and domineering styling. Said to be Mercs best engineered car by some.
    Irish road tax and fuel costs take the joy out of high displacement motoring.
    Heres Ayrton Senna taking delivery of his SEC
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/auto-clasico-mallorca/5554041722/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭Bigus

What would a 500SEC be like compared to a modern car? The economics stack up on LPG. Ie road tax 50e, lpg for 10000 miles 2000, insurance 500, maintainance 1000. Still way under that of a modern golf type machine.
    Heres Ayrton Senna taking delivery of his SEC
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/auto-clasico-mallorca/5554041722/

They compare pretty well to a modern car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Id imagine it would be pretty similar, just without all the tech.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

A 30 year old luxobarge on LPG would be a fookin' awesome daily! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,423 ✭✭✭ofcork

One of my favourite mercs of all time,some stunning ones on pistonheads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭enviro

road tax 50e

Really?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement