Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Drive away on it sure what's worst that happens a fine and points on the off chance you do get caught?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

jayo26 wrote: »
    Drive away on it sure what's worst that happens a fine and points on the off chance you do get caught?

Worst case is they seize the car if they deem the car to be out of tax for more than two months, which would be applicable from when the car transferred to private ownership. No tax isn't a penalty point offence, or at least it isn't listed on the RSA website.

I know a fair few people who've driven on PSV tax from the previous owner, for a couple of months anyways. Dunno if I'd chance a year though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭McCrack

mickdw wrote: »
    I don't think you would have anything like a similar problem to if you had printed a tax disc or used a disc off another car.
    My thinking is that you have the defence of honest mistake. You bought the car taxed and didn't look any further into it.
    This is a much different situation to where someone knowingly creates a false disc.
    Unless they write to new owners and specifically tell them that any tax on the car is invalid, I think you would have reasonable defence.
    If they do write out to new owners, well yes, there is no defence for running with taxi tax.

Good luck trying that on with my local District Court Judge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

mickdw wrote: »
    I don't think you would have anything like a similar problem to if you had printed a tax disc or used a disc off another car.
    My thinking is that you have the defence of honest mistake. You bought the car taxed and didn't look any further into it.
    This is a much different situation to where someone knowingly creates a false disc.
    Unless they write to new owners and specifically tell them that any tax on the car is invalid, I think you would have reasonable defence.
    If they do write out to new owners, well yes, there is no defence for running with taxi tax.

You'll get the standard tax renewal letter when you buy it.

It's just not worth ending up in court over.

Worst case is they seize the car if they deem the car to be out of tax for more than two months, which would be applicable from when the car transferred to private ownership. No tax isn't a penalty point offence, or at least it isn't listed on the RSA website.

I know a fair few people who've driven on PSV tax from the previous owner, for a couple of months anyways. Dunno if I'd chance a year though.

In my younger days I would of without shadow of a doubt ha. Price of tax isn't as much a problem now so no reason to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Years NCT on this 2.7D Jag. Very nice colour combo and the alloys suit it. Aggressive without being tacky.

€4,550

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2007-jaguar-xj6-2-7tdv6-sport-new-nct-low-milage/21072855

ZGE4ZjhiOWE3ZjNjMWE5ODc4NjAwYzA1ZGIyNDgxM2NOsiUDfPeFqE2ehTl4efysaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTg1OTc0NjN8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

MWE4N2ZmMzYwMmQwNmQwZWQ3NzliNDgyYzY5Nzc0OWTcwOjSW4tZLsfb0zI4UCihaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTg1OTc0NjV8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Surely nice examples of the last of the traditional shape xj will become valuable classics in time.
    Early versions of the newer car are already starting to become a little tacky.
    I'm not saying the diesel one is something to buy and store but a nice high end petrol one would be a nice car to keep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

That’s a very nice LS. Good colour and spec.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭W123-80's

'98 S320
    LPG
    NCT July '19
    Tad over budget for bangernomics
    Looks nice

Asking €2,500

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-benz-s-class-1998-lpg-converted/21628283

Looks nice, but the very short NCT and the low price might suggest that it has been to an NCT and has something expensive wrong with it.
    Rear suspension looks to be hanging down a bit too.

Worth a call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

No air suspension. It's such a nicer cruiser on air.
    Hold out for a face-lift version, looks better and has a much better gearbox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

mullingar wrote: »

How do you differentiate I was going to PM you later actually....:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

W123-80's wrote: »
    '98 S320
    LPG
    NCT July '19
    Tad over budget for bangernomics
    Looks nice

Asking €2,500

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-benz-s-class-1998-lpg-converted/21628283

That’s got Russian drug dealer all over it. I think it’s class!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

“Mark Levinson sound system”

Worth an extra 3k I hear :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

“Mark Levinson sound system”

Worth an extra 3k I hear :pac:

It adds 150bhp too. It’s nearly impossible to catch up with one if you want to get a better look.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

Truckermal wrote: »
    How do you differentiate I was going to PM you later actually....:p

It's missing the 2x switches for the air suspension.

It's missing the 2x switches for the air suspension.

Ah right I thought it was standard from the first Gen LS... Not too many of them about either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

How much of a difference does the air suspension really make?????.

The difference between LS400 with no air and an LS430 with it didn't seem that significant in comfort terms.

Mind you that was going from a 400 on 16s (as far as I remember) to a 430 on 18 inch wheels.

Did Lexus make a mess of the 430 on springs or something.....

• Advertisement

Old diesel wrote: »

The difference between LS400 with no air and an LS430 with it didn't seem that significant in comfort terms.

Mind you that was going from a 400 on 16s (as far as I remember) to a 430 on 18 inch wheels.

Going on smooth roads there would be a bit of difference, but it's on the rougher roads/pot holes/speed bumps is where air suspension shines.

Just flicking one switch turns the floaty barge to a much firmer drive. The other switch raises the cars height if you are going down a very bumpy road.

The car also sinks about 1" when driving over 50mph, apparently it reduces drag.

In terms of reliability, the biggest weakness with the air suspension is the rear ride height sensors, but a pair of them are €30 on aliexpress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Old diesel wrote: »

I will never drive a daily on not air ever again, it is an absolute dream especially on irish country roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭crazyjim

The ad now mentions the suspension. Must be a boardsie
    Importantly it is NOT on air suspension - this is a know weakness

To me It's an 18 year old barge with 144k miles on it. Unless an enthusiast wants it, it's a €2k car.

Seller now says the ls430 is known for the weakness of its suspension? I'd say it's the most reliable air suspension fitted on any car.

It's those level sensors that sieze up and these sensors and are €300 each from Lexus.

Or what I did, €34 delivered for a pair on my Ls430

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32922372648.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I will never drive a daily on not air ever again, it is an absolute dream especially on irish country roads.

Ah here. I know a few cars (that I own) that i could not imagine performing on Air suspension.

Having said that .. for a comfy cruise .. it is indeed something that makes a difference. My Allroad and Disco 3 certainly are worth the air suspension.

Even the 525d i used to own (rear only). But you never want to get to the point of it going dodgy and not having a mechanic that knows how to fix it.

The issue is NEVER the air suspension. It is the clueless mechanics trying to solve issues when they crop up. Beyond that it is brilliant.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Ah here. I know a few cars (that I own) that i could not imagine performing on Air suspension.

Having said that .. for a comfy cruise .. it is indeed something that makes a difference. My Allroad and Disco 3 certainly are worth the air suspension.

Even the 525d i used to own (rear only). But you never want to get to the point of it going dodgy and not having a mechanic that knows how to fix it.

The issue is NEVER the air suspension. It is the clueless mechanics trying to solve issues when they crop up. Beyond that it is brilliant.

/M

To be fair you dont want a BMW with air suspension especially the f11 it's a disaster.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/bentley-8-nct-tax-px-/19665677

OTZlYTY5ZmYwYzM4MjQ3ZmZjNWIyZThiNTQwM2RkNzMNo8Uraos6P_iZgKfmZZBaaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjIwOTM5MzR8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

1986 Bentley 8, years test, classic tax, low miles and alleged history - €5k

Colour is a bit gaudy but I think it could be smartened up if the headlight surrounds were colour-coded or re-chromed, and a nice set of period plates. Much want!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭W123-80's

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/bentley-8-nct-tax-px-/19665677

OTZlYTY5ZmYwYzM4MjQ3ZmZjNWIyZThiNTQwM2RkNzMNo8Uraos6P_iZgKfmZZBaaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjIwOTM5MzR8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

1986 Bentley 8, years test, classic tax, low miles and alleged history - €5k

Colour is a bit gaudy but I think it could be smartened up if the headlight surrounds were colour-coded or re-chromed, and a nice set of period plates. Much want!

I borrowed one from a family friend for my wedding 6 years ago. I had to collect it from an underground hotel car park where it lives. Owner lives abroad.
    They are not built for underground carparks with tight spaces and even tighter turns when coming up the levels.:pac:
    It was an experience driving it!
    On a side note I have great pics from outside the church after we got married. It wouldn't start so it had to be pushed by a rake of lads out of the church car park, jump leads sourced in someone's boot and jumped off my brothers Avensis!
    Cool car and I'd love one!

That Bentley was €7,750 6 weeks ago. Great price at €5K if it checks out.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=109695622

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Would love to know if the Bentley could be maintained relatively cheaply or are you in to mega money to keep the basics ticking over.

If you could keep it running I could only see the price going up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

KevRossi wrote: »
    That Bentley was €7,750 6 weeks ago. Great price at €5K if it checks out.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=109695622

Value only going one way the seller says

Indeed ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Cyrus wrote: »
    Value only going one way the seller says

Indeed ....

Paddy ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭AmberGold

There’s a fair few decent shots on the inter web of these Bentley’s looking absolutely amazing. Some car for the cash.

If the seller cleaned up those seats, gave it a valet and took some proper pics we would not be discussing it here...

AmberGold wrote: »
    There’s a fair few decent shots on the inter web of these Bentley’s looking absolutely amazing. Some car for the cash.

If the seller cleaned up those seats, gave it a valet and took some proper pics we would not be discussing it here...

I'd hate to be the reason he lost 3k on a car though

lovely motor, will keep going forever if maintained, the colour is a bit of a let down though, in black it would look a hell of a lot fresher

• Advertisement

+1.

That €3k would do a nice paint job.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/merc-cls-500-v8-nct-03-20/21850480

Y2I4YzM0OGIxMDJiMDM3NjY0NmFlYmU1OWIwYWFiYmKFdRohyRT1qwOCuMeOtdKoaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjQ0MDgwMTd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

CLS 500

1 owner, fresh NCT, V8 goodness - €3950

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

CLS 500

That's amazing for just shy of €4k. Would this be a world of trouble for someone or could it conceivably be driven as a daily driver without breaking you in repairs

I had a CLS 320 diesel last year and it was fantastic. They're only based on an E Class but they look and feel superb, and even at 13 or so years old they still turn a lot of heads.

They're a bit old skool (I use the term very loosely!) compared to a 7 series or A8 (I know they're based on a smaller segment car, but still) and they don't have an MMI or iDrive system, some folks might like that and some might not. I found it hard to get used to personally but its only something small.

Airmatic would be the only major worry on them to be honest. Some have it and some don't. Mine didn't so I won't comment

I had a CLS 320 diesel last year and it was fantastic. They're only based on an E Class but they look and feel superb, and even at 13 or so years old they still turn a lot of heads.

They're a bit old skool (I use the term very loosely!) compared to a 7 series or A8 (I know they're based on a smaller segment car, but still) and they don't have an MMI or iDrive system, some folks might like that and some might not. I found it hard to get used to personally but its only something small.

Airmatic would be the only major worry on them to be honest. Some have it and some don't. Mine didn't so I won't comment

to be fair the mercedes COMMAND system available for those is quite good.

that one above is grand but the spec, CLS500 would have cost a fair bomb back in the day and the owner didnt even spring for heated seats or navigation.

• Advertisement

to be fair the mercedes COMMAND system available for those is quite good.

that one above is grand but the spec, CLS500 would have cost a fair bomb back in the day and the owner didnt even spring for heated seats or navigation.

Yeah, it’s hard enough to find in a CLS on these shores though. Even the end of the line facelift cars don’t all have it. I sat in one with it, and it’s much easier to use then MMI/iDrive IMO - being touchscreen and having buttons, and the fact that the screen isn’t on the top of the dash helps too. I think it plays on that old stereotype that Mercs are for old men who wouldn’t understand how to use MMI/iDrive :P

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/cls-320tdi-tax-05-19-nct-2020-fsh/20639612

ZWVmMjlkMTQ2NjU1MTQwOWNiYTIzYTM4NmQ5ZWExMjmF3MseeAx25ePMF4rvdNudaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTcwOTA1Nzd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

This actually quite a well spec'd CLS, missing only Xenons really.

The alloys look like they could do with a refurb and those tacky Aldi DRLs need to go, but other than that its quite nice with reasonable miles and not a million owners

I actually offered him 4250 for it a few months back and he refused (it was 4650). Ended up buying a 730

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Are they not xenons? Can't tell on the phone.

No

They all come with cut outs on the bumper for washers, but that car doesn't have xenons

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/07-lexus-ls460-nct-11-19-tax-8-19-automatic/21916751

NWNiMjA2OWQ0ZDA5NjIxODYyMjU0NzRmNGRkZWYwMTejymaMvveenRz__pox-rRMaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjQ4OTYzMzd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

€2950! With a decent bit of tax and test

Someone get it bought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/07-lexus-ls460-nct-11-19-tax-8-19-automatic/21916751

Someone get it bought

LOTS OF EXTRAS TO MANY TO MENTION.

Lad, you're selling a car. Mention them! Even some of them!

Y2I4YzM0OGIxMDJiMDM3NjY0NmFlYmU1OWIwYWFiYmKFdRohyRT1qwOCuMeOtdKoaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjQ0MDgwMTd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

CLS 500

By all accounts its 'a very fast car ' ;)

NWNiMjA2OWQ0ZDA5NjIxODYyMjU0NzRmNGRkZWYwMTejymaMvveenRz__pox-rRMaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjQ4OTYzMzd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Someone get it bought

I'll be phoning him later.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 AliAMG

Truckermal wrote: »
    I'll be phoning him later.

Let us know how you get on :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Someone get it bought

Viewing this later :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement