Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Tommyboy40

Could I ask for a rough breakdown of the servicing charges and mileage?

When I bought the car I did as I always do:
    Oil change 8 litres
    16 x plugs
    Gearbox flush and change with filter.

I do an oil change every 6k miles. and have put almost 50k miles on it.
    Passenger side rear shock needed replacement along with a grumbling drivers side wheel bearing €2,665

Front lower balljoints - have to replace entire lower control arm.

Brake pads - complete set €200

Air con compressor is a common fault, the clutch fails from lack of use. Eyewatering bill for replacement

The bulk of the money spent was on non standard servicing. I'm a little (lot) OCD and it has to be perfect for me. You can do your own servicing for reasonably small money, service items are cheaper from the dealer than a motor factors. You have to bear in mind that the CL has always been a groundbreaking car and it costs €195k new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Tommyboy40 wrote: »
    When I bought the car I did as I always do:
    Oil change 8 litres
    16 x plugs
    Gearbox flush and change with filter.

I do an oil change every 6k miles. and have put almost 50k miles on it.
    Passenger side rear shock needed replacement along with a grumbling drivers side wheel bearing €2,665

Front lower balljoints - have to replace entire lower control arm.

Brake pads - complete set €200

Air con compressor is a common fault, the clutch fails from lack of use. Eyewatering bill for replacement

The bulk of the money spent was on non standard servicing. I'm a little (lot) OCD and it has to be perfect for me. You can do your own servicing for reasonably small money, service items are cheaper from the dealer than a motor factors. You have to bear in mind that the CL has always been a groundbreaking car and it costs €195k new.

Fair play to you.

bear1 wrote: »
    Fair play to you.

When you buy anything nice, you can't complain about running costs. I knew that the tax was high and it would be thirstyish, both on petrol and money. I like my cars to be perfect, and am prepared to spend what I have to to make them so. Most of the posters here love motors and would be the same as me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

When you buy anything nice, you can't complain about running costs. I knew that the tax was high and it would be thirstyish, both on petrol and money. I like my cars to be perfect, and am prepared to spend what I have to to make them so. Most of the posters here love motors and would be the same as me

Buying luxo cars is fantastic, so long as you go in with eyes open to the running costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

I'm actually looking to change my 215 for a 216 pretty soon. If anyone is interested in a properly maintained 215, let me know. The only problem with buying a +10 year old one of these is that certain parts will need replacing and they aren't cheap. In the 3 years I've had the CL I've spent roughly:

€15,000 petrol
    €12,000 servicing
    €2,000 tyres
    €5,500 tax

Mad maybe, but I still feel the thrill each time I push the start button.
    The 216 has 388 bhp, the 215 308

It does look like this and sounds like a Rhinoceros having an orgasm

Attachment not found.

That’s a serious petrol bill, are you even seeing 20mpg? I recon the 215 is far better looking too & your bills over three aren’t too bad as your depreciation will have been tiny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

That's 30c per mile on fuel.
    So about 4 to 5 miles per litre given a bit of fluctuation over last few years in petrol prices between 1.20 and 1.50

So somewhere between 18 and 23 mpg which isn't too bad really. My 2 x e39s and e60 petrols wouldn't have got much more, maybe 26mpg average. They were 2.5 and 3.0 6 cylinder jobs. So to have such a beautiful engine it's not too bad really.
    The servicing costs are way above however.
    Anyway, nice things cost money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

They are trialing a system in southwest where they don’t impound car anymore. You pay the tax at roadside to guard by card. If you want to and can pay it. Actually makes driving without it on the mad higher rates more attractive. Also if selling it , I’d say you’d get away without hassle if stopped , if you’re a month or two out...

Casati wrote: »
    That’s a serious petrol bill, are you even seeing 20mpg? I recon the 215 is far better looking too & your bills over three aren’t too bad as your depreciation will have been tiny

32 mpg on the Dublin run, 16-20 about town. It's as economical as a Yaris at 80+mph. I also reckon that mine is worth more now than when I bought it. I looked at a lot of sheds when I bought mine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

32 mpg on the Dublin run, 16-20 about town. It's as economical as a Yaris at 80+mph. I also reckon that mine is worth more now than when I bought it. I looked at a lot of sheds when I bought mine

32 is fantastic I haven't driven the Lexus much but it seems to be doing about 18 on short journey's..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I'm actually looking to change my 215 for a 216 pretty soon. If anyone is interested in a properly maintained 215, let me know. The only problem with buying a +10 year old one of these is that certain parts will need replacing and they aren't cheap. In the 3 years I've had the CL I've spent roughly:

€15,000 petrol
    €12,000 servicing
    €2,000 tyres
    €5,500 tax

Mad maybe, but I still feel the thrill each time I push the start button.
    The 216 has 388 bhp, the 215 308

It does look like this and sounds like a Rhinoceros having an orgasm

Attachment not found.

I'd say your costs are about bang on when I compare to my E66 740Li, your higher costs are mostly down to your mileage compared to me and I do most work myself.

Runs me about €7000 on average for all the same stuff you mentioned, but of that I only spend about €3000 on fuel compared to your €5000. That excludes about €1500 of work I wasn't bothered/able to do. Your servicing bill is mega compared to mine, but it only takes one or two big hiccups to balance that out. Happy motoring.

• Advertisement

I'd say your costs are about bang on when I compare to my E66 740Li, your higher costs are mostly down to your mileage compared to me and I do most work myself.

Runs me about €7000 on average for all the same stuff you mentioned, but of that I only spend about €3000 on fuel compared to your €5000. That excludes about €1500 of work I wasn't bothered/able to do. Your servicing bill is mega compared to mine, but it only takes one or two big hiccups to balance that out. Happy motoring.

Unfortunately, some jobs on the CL seem to be very much dealer only. I couldn't find anyone willing to do the shock on the car. It's not simply a case of changing it, the ride height needs to be balanced on the hydraulics and you need a Star system to do this. At least you don't have to change them in pairs. The AC compressor is a pig of a job, it's right at the most awkward place to get at so it takes hours.
    A lot of the work on the car wasn't strictly necessary, but owning a car is like a marriage, you have to do what it takes. I can't bear a squeak or a rattle and so have had to replace many silly things, some of which proved to be quite expensive. I've put hundreds of hours into this to get it almost where I want it to be. It still needs a PSE pump, €1000 exchange. This controls the soft close and massage seats. Only the drivers door works and the pumps are made of cheese, needing replacement every 5 years or so. Also needs a pair of doorhandles, another €1000 unpainted. The drivers one has a crack in the chrome and the passenger one is slow to open with a touch. There's a slight loose glass rattle in the drivers door when closing. All this work I'll do myself as I don't trust any mechanic to take off a door card. The seats have all been out to wet & dry the carpet and the leather washed. My ownership figures are including everything bought for the car, including all the detailing products, professional respray of both bumpers and the purchase and refurb of Genuine 19" staggered AMG alloys. Every car I've ever owned, and I still have quite a few of them, has been looked after like this. If anyone's interested, they can read more here
    https://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=288672
    https://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=287198

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

Running costs on my Ls430 (4.3 V8) is actually quite cheap.

12000 miles @18mpg *of LPG = €2,300 ish
    Tax, unavoidable, @ €1800
    Maintenance is actually quite cheap, probably €500/year Inc tyre wear.
    Repairs, it's a Lexus. I think I spent €200 in the last 12 months (Inc a new radiator) .
    Depreciation is practically €0.

That's around €5k/yr.

* (lpg has around 20% less energy than petrol, so uses 20% more fuel to maintain the power level)

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-gs-300/21960293

YTE2ZGMyYzliNmFjZWFlM2U4MWQ5ZGNjMWQ4ZjhhMTjgTQ8kA92Jo4fSGFHbJq67aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjUyMTM4MDR8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Familiar looking car, bargain entry into 'barging!

SOLD!!!! Ended up putting it on Ebay where it made €2500 along with a VRT rebate of €950, it's heading for Amsterdam in the morning! I will really miss it and hate parting with it because it's a beautiful car to drive and tight as a nut!

Truckermal wrote: »
    SOLD!!!! Ended up putting it on Ebay where it made €2500 along with a VRT rebate of €950, it's heading for Amsterdam in the morning! I will really miss it and hate parting with it because it's a beautiful car to drive and tight as a nut!

Wow I'm surprised there is a Market for right hand drive.
    Dutch buyer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Dutch buyer?

Probably 4 times the price for similar model there, could also be potentially bought to strip down for parts, I've noticed lots of RHD sourced car parts for sale from Eastern Europe up on Ebay where cars were clearly sources from either UK or IRL.

Dutch buyer?

Yep a LHD example is making about 12K over.... Not bad motoring as I only lost €50 in depreciation over 4 year's! :)

Yep a LHD example is making about 12K over.... Not bad motoring as I only lost €50 in depreciation over 4 year's! :)

Jesus 12k? We don't know how good we've got it.

The high tax does have it's benefits :)
    And petrol isn't more expensive in Ireland compared to most of mainland Europe.

Tax is 100 euros per month so not far behind Ireland! VRT will be another 500 over there..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Enough room in the boot for 4 bodies! :)

Enough room in the boot for 4 bodies! :)

That's why I bought one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

It may seem that way ( and long may it last as a long term signed up bangernomics enthusiast;)) but if you look at the broader picture as a country we are just devaluing our own assets, nothing clever about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

hi5 wrote: »
    It may seem that way ( and long may it last as a long term signed up bangernomics enthusiast;)) but if you look at the broader picture as a country we are just devaluing our own assets, nothing clever about that.

No, we are not all doing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

lassykk wrote: »

I'm gonna call tomorrow and see what implications that may have on my insurance. :)

Give me something to aim for in 2020.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

I'm gonna call tomorrow and see what implications that may have on my insurance. :)

Give me something to aim for in 2020.

How did you get on?

RustyNut wrote: »
    How did you get on?

Eye watering.

656 for the rest of the year (to end of Jan 2020)

So it works out about an extra 1300 on top of my current 500 premium.

Eesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Eye watering.

Eesh.

That stings a bit.

RustyNut wrote: »
    That stings a bit.

Aye, and I work for an insurance company!

Eye watering.

Eesh.

Mine only went up 180 euros for 12 Months, I was only after insuring the GS with Zurich but they wouldn't insure the LS so I had to cancel and go with Allianz...

Funny one actually I was moaning to the lads on a FB chat group that I could not justify insuring the GS this year then a week later I buy that....:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Eye watering.

Eesh.

you were wanting to insure a second car?

Mine only went up 180 euros for 12 Months, I was only after insuring the GS with Zurich but they wouldn't insure the LS so I had to cancel and go with Allianz...

Funny one actually I was moaning to the lads on a FB chat group that I could not justify insuring the GS this year then a week later I buy that....:pac:

Jaysus.

I was expecting a jump but 66% is something.
    lawred2 wrote: »
    you were wanting to insure a second car?

No. Make it my sole/primary. Can't get a second car deal with my company. Even as staff.

Anyway, food for thought for next year for when a beaut of a barge crops up here.

Jaysus.

I was expecting a jump but 66% is something.

No. Make it my sole/primary. Can't get a second car deal with my company. Even as staff.

Anyway, food for thought for next year for when a beaut of a barge crops up here.

That's madness. Did you try ringing around. You'd definitely get a better new business quote than that.

That's madness. Did you try ringing around. You'd definitely get a better new business quote than that.

Ha!

Not at all and as staff of the company I can't imagine it would get better elsewhere.

TBH, it was just a whim to check what it could be.

Ha!

Not at all and as staff of the company I can't imagine it would get better elsewhere.

Have you actually verified that?

My experience of staff discounts is that they don't often amount to much.. the days of being staff meaning anything to a corporation are long gone

Have you actually verified that?

My experience of staff discounts is that they don't often amount to much.. the days of being staff meaning anything to a corporation are long gone

100% in this case though. The discount and benefit is pretty great given what it could/should be.

I might give Allianz and Axa a bell on Friday though for the hell of it though now that you've said that.

100% in this case though. The discount and benefit is pretty great given what it could/should be.

I might give Allianz and Axa a bell on Friday though for the hell of it though now that you've said that.

Yeah but the base premium to which they apply the discount could be farcical...

Yep totally agree here Quotedevil were quite good actually..

Yep totally agree here Quotedevil were quite good actually..

Just checked on chill and I'm getting 1,354 for FC with Liberty. Gas.

Anyway, the pipe dream, may continue to next year when RWC2019 has been paid for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭pah

I know everyone has different circumstances and details when plugging in for quotes online. What works for one person might be rubbish for another but - I got some great quotes from Super Value insurance testing the waters for an LS460 that was posted here.

Sub €600 for a lot of big engine cars I tried out such as ls460 and a 7series bmw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭traco

I started a new second policy with axa for a 2002 S class barge that I bought. €800 for the new policy, not cheap but hopefully it will be around 500 after one or two renewals giving me options on other cars. Autoline wouldn't add it to my classic policy as it wasn't 20 years old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

traco wrote: »
    I started a new second policy with axa for a 2002 S class barge that I bought. €800 for the new policy, not cheap but hopefully it will be around 500 after one or two renewals giving me options on other cars. Autoline wouldn't add it to my classic policy as it wasn't 20 years old.

Jaysus, I didn’t realize Autoline we’re refusing to add 20 year old cars to existing policies, thought it was just new custom they were refusing. That’s a pity!!

Jaysus, I didn’t realize Autoline we’re refusing to add 20 year old cars to existing policies, thought it was just new custom they were refusing. That’s a pity!!

The car was actually on an autoline policy with the previous owner. I've the Boxster with them and tried to add the S, said the new policy is no new business unless the car is over 20 years old.

Barge pic just to keep things on topic

48006877876_1b06cdecb7_b.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

traco wrote: »

Is that a normal full daily drive policy with no restrictions?????.

If so then given the black marks* that car has for an Irish insurer that's not a bad price.

*it's over the 15 year age limit that Irish insurers like - and every engine a 2002 S class came with is HUGE for an Irish insurer more used to 1.6 diesels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

I got named driver on a policy for 150 euro that some companies wanted over 3000 for so shop around, there's decent value out there (sometimes, if you are lucky). Provisional driver, 24, no driving history at all, BMW 530D 2014 for 150, but I had to switch insurance companies to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Ha!

I also work in an insurance company, and while I don't have first hand experience because I've never tried, the staff discounted premium is more expensive than you can get from us online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

I got named driver on a policy for 150 euro that some companies wanted over 3000 for so shop around, there's decent value out there (sometimes, if you are lucky). Provisional driver, 24, no driving history at all, BMW 530D 2014 for 150, but I had to switch insurance companies to do it.

I did this myself for years to reduce my insurance costs but it is questionable if you are the main driver of the car and the policy is in a parents name with you named to reduce the cost for you. It's called fronting. I'm not judging you in the slightest as I did it myself for 7 years but just thread carefully.

Old diesel wrote: »
    Is that a normal full daily drive policy with no restrictions?????.

If so then given the black marks* that car has for an Irish insurer that's not a bad price.

*it's over the 15 year age limit that Irish insurers like - and every engine a 2002 S class came with is HUGE for an Irish insurer more used to 1.6 diesels

TPFT, no mileage limits, herself is a named driver on it. Social, domestic and pleasure but not commuting to work. I thought the price was fair, the Boxster was 490 (fully comp) last year again with no commuting and limited to 3k miles per year and that policy doesn't build up any NCD

I've the standard daily 2,0 tee dee eye for that mind numbing M50 race track / car park lottery.

I pay €1,100 for my CL. It's 2005 and a 5.0 V8. I get:
    Full business cover
    Unlimited glass cover
    Agreed value
    Fully comp in anyones car
    If I crack an alloy and they can't replace it, they'll replace all 4
    If it breaks down in Europe, they'll tow it home

See below for details
    https://www.chubb.com/uk-en/individuals-families/motor.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000