Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Maybe it's just me but I can't see the E65 ever having the long term appeal of the E38.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me but I can't see the E65 ever having the long term appeal of the E38.

True but I don't think the E38 really became loved by most until the E65 was released!

True but I don't think the E38 really became loved by most until the E65 was released!

Bimmer drivers can be like that. You only start appreciating the outgoing model when the new model comes in. It's not very often you see an E38 on the road now, I still stop and stare when I do. If you're staring at an E65 it's kinda like when you see someone with very unusual features. It's not pretty but you can't help looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Bimmer drivers can be like that. You only start appreciating the outgoing model when the new model comes in. It's not very often you see an E38 on the road now, I still stop and stare when I do. If you're staring at an E65 it's kinda like when you see someone with very unusual features. It's not pretty but you can't help looking.

Im one of these and agree :) drive an f10 and love it but don't like the new 5 but if bmw carry on with the ridiculously stupid grills on new cars im sure I'll love the current 5 :)

Yup. I hated the E60 when it came out but then went out and bought one recently.

I think the E66 facelift made it a far better looking car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭traco

If its as solid and clean as it looks them I reckon its a good buy, it seems to have been relisted as I saw it a while back but can't recall the price but t4eh pics look like the ones I remember. One owner, low miles and full history in this market segment is a rare thing, wouldn't be surprising to see one on its 4/5/6 owner at 16 years of age.

Sure you could pick up a cheaper one but as with all these luxo barges the cost of getting the cheap one to that standard could be a lot more.

Yup. I hated the E60 when it came out but then went out and bought one recently.

I think the E66 facelift made it a far better looking car

Don't think I ever fully warmed to the E60. Even after 3 years of ownership! :o

Liked the exterior but never liked the interior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

jayo26 wrote: »
    Liked the exterior but never liked the interior.

Both were dreadful. The E39 was the pinnacle of BMW. It's all disposable after that.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Both were dreadful. The E39 was the pinnacle of BMW. It's all disposable after that.

/M

Thats down to taste to be fair. I loved the e39 too but the f10 is a very different car they both have their good and bad points.

• Advertisement

F series cars have far more familiar BMW characteristics than any of the Bangle era cars. The E60 / 65 etc could be from another manufacturer they are so different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

marcos_94 wrote: »
    Who do you use if you dont mind saying?

Unless things have changed dramatically, I'm pretty sure that there are lots of full time main dealership mechanic's out there , who are doing nixer's, aside from the full time Indy's. And at the end of the day, behind the glitzy dealership reception area, it's the man in the overall's who is actually doing the work, so if you can meet one of those ( word of mouth is one good way) It will pay dividends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Marlow wrote: »

/M

Agreed. It’s such a timeless machine. Those e60s are buckets.

If I'm honest, I haven't really warmed to it. Like how it looks but not massively endearing

m17 wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2010-mercedes-benz-s-class-lwb-top-spec/23154223
    T0yVNMS.jpg
    2010 mercedes benz s class 298,000miles nct 01/2020 €6,500

No question about it,,,if I was in the market for a car, this would be it. And the high mileage would not bother me either. Say asking price €6500, plus 3 years tax @€;1200 per year €3600, Total €10.100. It's one classy car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I think some of you forget what an E39 looks like. I'm not a fan of the E60 either, but the E39 is far from timeless; designed in the early nineties and out 22 years now, looks every bit of it. The E60 will age a lot better as it was way ahead of the styling of the era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-745i-one-owner-since-2005-low-mileage-v8/23344666?campaign=3

ZmJmY2EzMTNkZDdmNDkyMTE3MmY0NWM3YmQ1NjRhYmYgdpBDSwegMryqTNzpU0PSaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzUzMjc4MTZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

This looks like a nice proposition for 500 quid more than the 735 on the previous page

03 745, same owner since 05, low miles, NCT'd and even a bit of tax. Comfort seats too, which are a nice option to have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-745i-one-owner-since-2005-low-mileage-v8/23344666?campaign=3

This looks like a nice proposition for 500 quid more than the 735 on the previous page

03 745, same owner since 05, low miles, NCT'd and even a bit of tax. Comfort seats too, which are a nice option to have
    Dreadful colour for the interior - not my cuppa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

cadaliac wrote: »
    Dreadful colour for the interior - not my cuppa.

pretty standard on a black bmw, other common option is black which is a bit meh with a black car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Unusual to see comfort seats without at least heating in them, not to mind cooling or massaging - this car has nothing.

Unusual to see comfort seats without at least heating in them, not to mind cooling or massaging - this car has nothing.

Back in 2003, would cars even have the option of heated, cooling or massaging function in seat's?? Strange, because I'd imagine that particular car would have had all the Whistle's and Bell's available at the time.

To be fair to it, even standard comfort seats are a lot nicer than the base spec seats. I find it is fairly common for pre facelift 7 series to have no heating/cooling/active seats

jmreire wrote: »
    Back in 2003, would cars even have the option of heated, cooling or massaging function in seat's?? Strange, because I'd imagine that particular car would have had all the Whistle's and Bell's available at the time.

Yep, they were available with all 3 options alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭pah

Back in 2003, would cars even have the option of heated, cooling or massaging function in seat's??

I had a 2004 Laguna with heated massaging seats, initiale spec. You would imagine a top spec beemer would have

While we're still on the topic of 7 series', heres an original Irish short wheel base 760

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-760i-individual-2004/23336917

YjZkMjQyZTFmMTU2YTFhNzk5MjRmMmY2MTg0YTE5NGPjtOF4ApcXMBoy2E46bvchaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzUyODM4NTF8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Seems to have a lot of options boxes ticked. Quickest way to tell if one of these is going to be well spec'd (IMO) is by how many buttons it has on the side of the centre console for the seats:

NDRjZDljMTUxZmY1NmM1NDQxMjA5OWY3YzQ2ZDdjYzb19khmNhq_wdOkmviDlyIaaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzUyODM4NDR8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

This one is ten grand though.

This one looks promising:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-730d-new-nct-11-20/23361591

NzVmZjI3ZGFhNTllOTA5MjZjZWQxZmZlY2ZhN2I3ZjhuYscxMsp75PeSPYSjbanFaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzU0MzM5NTh8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Has all the buttons:

NmRjOTk3NjY1YmY0YmMxZWRjYzgyZGQ4OWNiNmZmZWS78oRhDeJSqwY-ns3ABMaaaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzU0MzM5NjN8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Which is rare for a diesel, but its had 19 owners! And thats only since its been imported

Decent price though at 3500. I really want another one of these for a little while, no cheapies around though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

This one looks promising:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-730d-new-nct-11-20/23361591

Has all the buttons:

NmRjOTk3NjY1YmY0YmMxZWRjYzgyZGQ4OWNiNmZmZWS78oRhDeJSqwY-ns3ABMaaaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzU0MzM5NjN8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg
    Mafia staff car - check the cigarette box! :)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

My bro sold his 2004 645 coupe a few months ago and it had heated seats and steering wheel

Wouldn’t rate that 760. Give me a S500 lwb every day of the week! Admittedly the s600 would be a lot more expensive than the s500, but if you’re going to be robbed on tax and running costs , I personally wouldn’t go near the 760. The facelift ones are a bit nicer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

While we're still on the topic of 7 series', heres an original Irish short wheel base 760

That car must qualify for a “dreamer” award. If he had bothered to even clean it and take a few decent pictures it might have helped, but it’s a €5-6k car on a good day.

• Advertisement

Speaking of the 7 series. Look at this 07 s class. Throw facelift headlights on it and ideally the facelift bumper with drl lights and you’ve a ridiculous looking car for a pittance !

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-s500-lwb-2007/23108933

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Throw facelift headlights on it and ideally the facelift bumper with drl lights and you’ve a ridiculous looking car for a pittance !

I've seen this posted a few times about these s-class but surely such a modification is actually quite pricey to undertake?

Are Facelift headlights and tail lights themselves that readily available?

I've seen this posted a few times about these s-class but surely such a modification is actually quite pricey to undertake?

Are Facelift headlights and tail lights themselves that readily available?

They're readily available alright, if you really want them..

Mercedes-Benz-headligts-steal-1-Mercedesblog.jpg

Mercedes-Benz-headligts-steal-2-Mercedesblog.jpg

I'd always be suspicious of headlight/alloy upgrades and the likes on anything these days

YjZkMjQyZTFmMTU2YTFhNzk5MjRmMmY2MTg0YTE5NGPjtOF4ApcXMBoy2E46bvchaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzUyODM4NTF8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Seems to have a lot of options boxes ticked. Quickest way to tell if one of these is going to be well spec'd (IMO) is by how many buttons it has on the side of the centre console for the seats:
    (

Was actually discussing this car with a guy in a Facebook group the other day. He was in UK and looking at a 760 as a weekend cruising car and was paying 16k pounds for one I showed him link to this car and he couldn't believe the difference in price due to our tax system.

Yeah tax is a big part of it. But what about the insurance here too. I don’t know what it’s like in uk. But assuming cheaper than here, Wachovia will also effect values

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

They're readily available alright, if you really want them..

I'd always be suspicious of headlight/alloy upgrades and the likes on anything these days

Ah jaysus!

The luxobarge version of the Laguna splitter epidemic.

• Advertisement

Get them from eBay uk etc. genuine headlights don’t need to be robbed here !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Speaking of the 7 series. Look at this 07 s class. Throw facelift headlights on it and ideally the facelift bumper with drl lights and you’ve a ridiculous looking car for a pittance !

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-s500-lwb-2007/23108933

It already looks ridiculous with those 997 Turbo knockoffs.

WTF is wrong with people:mad:

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    It already looks ridiculous with those 997 Turbo knockoffs.

WTF is wrong with people:mad:

you can be sure the tyres are sh!te as well

Yeah not a big fan of those alloys either. You want the amg 5 spoke alloys , they look the tits !

Look. It’s a ridiculous amount of car for that money , we are splitting hairs. Those w221 are on another planet at this range compared to the other barges imo...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Cyrus wrote: »
    you can be sure the tyres are sh!te as well

Bridgestone Potenzas actually.

• Advertisement

alastair wrote: »
    Bridgestone Potenzas actually.

colour me surprised

normally when someone puts replica wheels on its with nangkangs or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Perhaps one for someone liking a bit of gambling, the NCT is out in January, the seller has 4 other cars up for sale and the car was sold to a dealer in August. A fresh NCT would help the sale, I suppose it would then be priced accordingly.

Y2IzY2FhYTI0MTkyYTdlN2Y2ZGM5MjRjODY3NmJiMGT7HSe9UvIWJtYwOwLBmGbhaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzU0ODkxMDl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-ls-460-2008/23367620

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That interior looks fairly well worn for an 11 year old Lexus with only 150,000 miles on it.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Was actually discussing this car with a guy in a Facebook group the other day. He was in UK and looking at a 760 as a weekend cruising car and was paying 16k pounds for one I showed him link to this car and he couldn't believe the difference in price due to our tax system.

Not sure where he's looking, 760s can be had for a song in the UK too. Chap I know picked up his third, less than £5000 and a proper high spec 760 too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Not sure where he's looking, 760s can be had for a song in the UK too. Chap I know picked up his third, less than £5000 and a proper high spec 760 too.

To my uneducated eye that 760 looks well specced. What else do they come with? Different exterior styling?

No don't get me wrong, that's a nicely specced 760. There's some bizarre combos out there, i've seen 760's with no heated seats! RRP in 2004 was €172,210 and no heated seats. Value!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Seems to have a lot of options boxes ticked. Quickest way to tell if one of these is going to be well spec'd (IMO) is by how many buttons it has on the side of the centre console for the seats

I know this guys place. A good few local BMW owners go to him for any work done on their cars.

He used to be a mechanic with the former BMW dealership before Bolands took over it in Waterford. He may have even worked for Bolabds for a while before he went out on his own. Really knows his stuff about BMWs and locally his stamp on a book is as good, if not better, than a main dealers on the book.

Beautiful car but the drivers seat needs a bit of refreshing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    I know this guys place. A good few local BMW owners go to him for any work done on their cars.

He used to be a mechanic with the former BMW dealership before Bolands took over it in Waterford. He may have even worked for Bolabds for a while before he went out on his own. Really knows his stuff about BMWs and locally his stamp on a book is as good, if not better, than a main dealers on the book.

Beautiful car but the drivers seat needs a bit of refreshing.

If its the same guy I’m thinking of then I’m one of those local guys being very happy with his services. Just outside Tramore right?
    In this case I would say the car couldn’t be coming from a better source. Very genuine and straight up guy who I have recommended to others without hesitation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

I know it's the "least desirable" engine but this looks great value imho: '08 S350 Black/cream with 100k miles - €4500
    https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/mercedes-benz/350/fpa/201910263730306

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

That's a beauty.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement