Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

If its the same guy I’m thinking of then I’m one of those local guys being very happy with his services. Just outside Tramore right?
    In this case I would say the car couldn’t be coming from a better source. Very genuine and straight up guy who I have recommended to others without hesitation.

Yep that's the one alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

ToxicPaddy wrote: »

Beautiful car but the drivers seat needs a bit of refreshing.

The bottom outside section of seat goes like that from auld fellas like me with dodgy hips swivelling out to almost 90 degrees before getting out of the car :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

commited wrote: »
    I know it's the "least desirable" engine but this looks great value imho: '08 S350 Black/cream with 100k miles - €4500
    https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/mercedes-benz/350/fpa/201910263730306

I’d rather that than a 3.0 diesel, I can’t imagine ex limo’d examples with the Diesel engine would give greater economy over the 3.7 petrol, fuel consumption is the same and the diesel examples had a appetite for torque converters.

Only killer is the highest cc based tax band.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I Was VB wrote: »
    I’d rather that than a 3.0 diesel, I can’t imagine ex limo’d examples with the Diesel engine would give greater economy over the 3.7 petrol, fuel consumption is the same and the diesel examples had a appetite for torque converters.

Only killer is the highest cc based tax band.

thats the real issue, why bother with the s350 when the s500 is the same tax damage and a lot nicer to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The s500 will cost more and there are less of them than the s350. Yesh of course if asking price was the same , madness to go for the 350. But it will be a while yet before we see an s500 at anything near that price in my opinion! Also the s500 post 2008 would have been 2350 to tax. Non existent here probably until the rate dropped to e1200 In 2011/2012 I think it was

It’s a lovely car. I’d only get Len one though. I just can’t justift the running cost unless they really look the business!

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭marcos_94

Not sure if any of you watch hoovies garag but he’s bought a 760i for $4500. Interesting watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

marcos_94 wrote: »
    Not sure if any of you watch hoovies garag but he’s bought a 760i for $4500. Interesting watch

Himself and the CarWizard are and interesting combo for sure.

And his Buick Park Avenue Ultra is some barge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭kindalen

Hoovie is one of the better things to watch on youtube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

kindalen wrote: »
    Hoovie is one of the better things to watch on youtube.

That poor lad loves heartache. His AMG wagon was absolutely stunning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Speaking of youtube any of you follow the bad obsession motorsports guys they building a mini for past few years absoloutley love them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

jayo26 wrote: »
    Speaking of youtube any of you follow the bad obsession motorsports guys they building a mini for past few years absoloutley love them.

There is a thread for that ;)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057372337

Kamili wrote: »

For god sake I've missed out on five years of that thread.... How!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

While we're still on the topic of 7 series', heres an original Irish short wheel base 760

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-760i-individual-2004/23336917

YjZkMjQyZTFmMTU2YTFhNzk5MjRmMmY2MTg0YTE5NGPjtOF4ApcXMBoy2E46bvchaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzUyODM4NTF8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Seems to have a lot of options boxes ticked. Quickest way to tell if one of these is going to be well spec'd (IMO) is by how many buttons it has on the side of the centre console for the seats:

NDRjZDljMTUxZmY1NmM1NDQxMjA5OWY3YzQ2ZDdjYzb19khmNhq_wdOkmviDlyIaaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzUyODM4NDR8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

This one is ten grand though.

This one looks promising:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-730d-new-nct-11-20/23361591

NzVmZjI3ZGFhNTllOTA5MjZjZWQxZmZlY2ZhN2I3ZjhuYscxMsp75PeSPYSjbanFaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzU0MzM5NTh8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Has all the buttons:

NmRjOTk3NjY1YmY0YmMxZWRjYzgyZGQ4OWNiNmZmZWS78oRhDeJSqwY-ns3ABMaaaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzU0MzM5NjN8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Which is rare for a diesel, but its had 19 owners! And thats only since its been imported

Decent price though at 3500. I really want another one of these for a little while, no cheapies around though :(

Surely that must be a motor tax avoidance issue (transfer registration to a friends name and back again to avoid motor tax arrears)

Down to €2950 now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

neacy69 wrote: »
    Surely that must be a motor tax avoidance issue (transfer registration to a friends name and back again to avoid motor tax arrears)

Down to €2950 now

Yeah. No doubt. Saw it reduced too, but can’t bring myself to call. 19 is a lot! It puts me off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Yeah. No doubt. Saw it reduced too, but can’t bring myself to call. 19 is a lot! It puts me off

Why? What issues might you run into?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Why? What issues might you run into?

Insurance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Insurance on a 3.0L diesel E65 shouldn't be the worst, once you go 4.0L or over in 7s with most insurance companies it's a nightmare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

bidiots wrote: »
    Insurance

I didn't think number of owners would affect your insurance premium though?

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    I didn't think number of owners would affect your insurance premium though?

I was selling a lovely spec 7 series a few months ago, and a poster on here said iirc his premium was higher than an identical car with fewer owners, or they wouldn’t quote him altogether because it had 8 owners

The 19 owners on the one above though just doesn’t bode well with me. I don’t mind a good heap of owners, but that’s a bit much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭KB22

Insurance on a 3.0L diesel E65 shouldn't be the worst, once you go 4.0L or over in 7s with most insurance companies it's a nightmare.

The 06 Beemer is badged as a 730D . On motor checking it show's 2979cc petrol! Am I missing something?

• Advertisement

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-745i-one-owner-since-2005-low-mileage-v8/23344666?campaign=3

ZmJmY2EzMTNkZDdmNDkyMTE3MmY0NWM3YmQ1NjRhYmYgdpBDSwegMryqTNzpU0PSaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzUzMjc4MTZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

This looks like a nice proposition for 500 quid more than the 735 on the previous page

03 745, same owner since 05, low miles, NCT'd and even a bit of tax. Comfort seats too, which are a nice option to have

This is down to €2900, afaik it started at 4500. Would be a lovely buy at 2500

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-745i-one-owner-since-2005-low-mileage-v8/23344666

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Badged 730i

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭KB22

RobFowl wrote: »
    Badged 730i

The 04 is 760i , the 06 is 730d .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

I was selling a lovely spec 7 series a few months ago, and a poster on here said iirc his premium was higher than an identical car with fewer owners, or they wouldn’t quote him altogether because it had 8 owners

The 19 owners on the one above though just doesn’t bode well with me. I don’t mind a good heap of owners, but that’s a bit much!

I’ve never heard of an insurance company asking about number of previous owners on a car. Worked in a few insurance companies and brokers in the past. Maybe it’s a new thing, I’m out of the industry 4 years or so. Never been asked it myself though either since

I’ve never heard of an insurance company asking about number of previous owners on a car. Worked in a few insurance companies and brokers in the past. Maybe it’s a new thing, I’m out of the industry 4 years or so. Never been asked it myself though either since

I've never heard it myself direct from an insurance company either to be honest.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mercedes-cls-500-stunning/23548802

ZWVkMmQ0MDFiODBjMmNhODQ3NzA3ODM3N2I0NzYwNDD2Or5V0ZVwQyoCi8H1dDUbaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzY4NDY3MDZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Nice looking V8 CLS 500 with a years test, €4250

These often have terrible spec, but this one is an exception. Airmatic, sat nav, sunroof, heated seats are all nice options on this one that a lot of them are usually missing. I don't think the colour is too bad either, works well with the interior!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Steering wheel looks like a simpleton :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

About 2 years ago I changed between 2 identical cars. Insurance went up €140 And the only explanation the agent could suggest was that the second car had more previous owners. Besides the colour that was the only difference - same colour, year, engine, both UK imports.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭AhHaor

Owners isn't something that's looked at, reason for going up could have been that the rates have changed, actuaries tweaking risk factors, this is constantly done (at least it is with Aviva)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

AhHaor wrote: »
    Owners isn't something that's looked at, reason for going up could have been that the rates have changed, actuaries tweaking risk factors, this is constantly done (at least it is with Aviva)

Don't forget the insurance companies ever important ride the customer as much as you can factor, use any and every opportunity to get a bit more money from the customer especially if they already have a policy as they don't really have any option then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

I never had an issue getting insurance when I had an LS400 and LS430. That was petrol but I'd assume diesel would be similar. Sure, some companies wouldn't give me a quote but I always got one from someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

MarkN wrote: »

Id buy that just for the hands free kit. Love it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

They're such a beautiful car.

I'm determined to get my hands on one over the next couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

That is dreamer money for a soon to be 13 year old Citroen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭jharr100

That is dreamer money for a soon to be 13 year old Citroen

Looks like it just came from the north

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Sabre Man wrote: »
    I never had an issue getting insurance when I had an LS400 and LS430. That was petrol but I'd assume diesel would be similar. Sure, some companies wouldn't give me a quote but I always got one from someone.

Going by personal experience of 6 years of renewals, the LS must be a in a completely different risk category to 7s. You'll get a quote alright for 4.0L+, just they're all €1800+.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Going by personal experience of 6 years of renewals, the LS must be a in a completely different risk category to 7s. You'll get a quote alright for 4.0L+, just they're all €1800+.

Even with my stupidly cheap staff rates I was getting quotes for 1300 for an LS which would only translate to insane rates for non-staff members.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

So .. here is a bit of utilitarian Luxobarge sub 5k .... and it is not your usual Luxobarge either ..

It is also not everybodies "cup'o'tay" ...

49104578361_d680f085d2_c.jpg

This thing turned up the north a few weeks ago. It was sold pretty much within the hour. Lucky me .. friends of me bought it and I did get a second shot at it.

Here is the first hint, why this is a "Luxobarge". And a proper and fairly rare one at that:

49104765132_33b1319349_c.jpg

Second hint, why this is a "Luxobarge":

49104070248_9169f71ffe_c.jpg
    49104069813_90ba34b39c_c.jpg

This little minibus sports a 2.8l VR6 engine under the bonnet. It is also LPG converted with a 80l LPG tank on top of the original 70+l petrol tank .. which makes it fairly economical to run.

It will be eligable of classic insurance in a few months ... as it is a '00 reg ...

And we're talking a fairly exclusive executive specification with blue leather all round, full climate control, heated seats, cruise control, all electrics (mirrors, windows, what not), double slider and pretty much every other extra one could tick in these things. 80-90k minimum from new. If not more. Picked up for the sub 3k mark.

Wifey didn't even give out about buying this. She loves it. It will get a few mods over the next months ... that's just because it suits me more that way .. but it is something I've been looking for .. for over a decade .. and I would have gone to Germany and got a LHD one eventually .. but they still fetch 10-15k and upwards there in this sort of spec.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,337 ✭✭✭CoBo55

The petrol tank is 85 litres you'll need to know that as the fuel gauge will invariably fail at some stage. Is it auto? The big long gear lever that's about 2 inches too far away from you is terrible, it killed my back. Built like a tank, drives like one too unfortunately.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    The petrol tank is 85 litres you'll need to know that as the fuel gauge will invariably fail at some stage. Is it auto? The big long gear lever that's about 2 inches too far away from you is terrible, it killed my back. Built like a tank, drives like one too unfortunately.

We can all argue about the fuel tank size ;) .. i had my first T4 in '98 and it was a '93 lwb Caravelle 2.4D auto (LHD). You won't get more than just under 80l in there. And why would I care about the fuel gauge, when I am running LPG of an independant fuel gauge ?

I have had a lot of them since. I actually own a few of them. All quite special spec.

And yes .. it is auto. Because only the VR6 12 valve one (which this is) came in manual. And that only in the LHD market ...which this isn't is. I will convert it to manual eventually. And a bit beyond that. But that is a different story.

As for the length of the gearstick .. well .. nobody knows WTF VW were thinking when they took the gearstick in RHD T4s and didn't extend them at least to a comfortable level. But as it is an autobox .. you don't really have to shift much .. so who cares ? It certainly is the least issue at hand.

And it is properly overengineered. Designed in the 80s, launched 1990. VR6 option came 96. Not much like that around anymore.

/M

That is properly cool, and pleasingly original/unmodified. What are your plans for it?

That is properly cool, and pleasingly original/unmodified. What are your plans for it?

2 inch lift from normal and conversion to Syncro (thats 4WD). There are no factory Syncro VR6, but all gearbox ratios are identical to the TDI 102 bhp. The only difference: the clutch bellhousing.

So imagine a 4WD lifted Syncro with 6-pot petrol engine and a wider rpm band between gears. All with an exclusive business spec inside and economical to drive due to LPG conversion. Cost me under 70 quid to fill the tank today.

Sorry. I love my mods. But I tend to try to stick with OEM or near OEM. (Seikel and Projekt Zwo)

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    2 inch lift from normal and conversion to Syncro (thats 4WD). There are no factory Syncro VR6, but all gearbox ratios are identical to the TDI 102 bhp. The only difference: the clutch bellhousing.

So imagine a 4WD lifted Syncro with 6-pot petrol engine and a wider rpm band between gears. All with an exclusive business spec inside and economical to drive due to LPG conversion. Cost me under 70 quid to fill the tank today.

Sorry. I love my mods. But I tend to try to stick with OEM or near OEM. (Seikel and Projekt Zwo)

/M

Be interesting to see how many miles you get from the tank of gas. I tapped around with LPG in the 90's I really loved it. How much a litre is it now?

• Advertisement

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Be interesting to see how many miles you get from the tank of gas. I tapped around with LPG in the 90's I really loved it. How much a litre is it now?

The local station is at 85c/l. I've seen cheaper in other places. Even if you assumed, you use more LPG opposed to petrol, it's still a lot less than petrol or diesel pricing.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    The local station is at 85c/l. I've seen cheaper in other places. Even if you assumed, you use more LPG opposed to petrol, it's still a lot less than petrol or diesel pricing.

/M

High enough, it was half price or below the litre of petrol back in the 90's. I noticed there was noticeable difference in quality of LPG from garage to garage too. It's a shame it wasn't promoted further.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

Running a W124 on LPG at the moment, it’s doing the equivalent of 45mpg. The cheapest I’ve got it is LPGAIN at .69L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Even with my stupidly cheap staff rates I was getting quotes for 1300 for an LS which would only translate to insane rates for non-staff members.

That's crazy. I paid €624 in 2017 for a 2004 LS430 (max no claims bonus, no penalty points).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Sabre Man wrote: »
    That's crazy. I paid €624 in 2017 for a 2004 LS430 (max no claims bonus, no penalty points).

Yep mine was only 900 this year on a LS460..

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement