Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

Lurching wrote: »
    2003 S320D

Cheap, but has the suspension given up? Looks very low on the back right.

Low Rider

"Road Tax only €1,890 per year"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

It's back, and I'm excited because there's somebody coming to look at the Scooby so I'll be viewing this. Missed out on it last time a few years ago

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-ls430-lpg/24878533

It's back, and I'm excited because there's somebody coming to look at the Scooby so I'll be viewing this. Missed out on it last time a few years ago

I put it in to see what the insurance would be like and it's the cheapest quote I've ever gotten. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Only worth half the asking price!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Truckermal wrote: »
    Only worth half the asking price!

that poor car..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

I put it in to see what the insurance would be like and it's the cheapest quote I've ever gotten. :confused:

Don't keep us in suspense..........how much was it???? Presently getting quotes from €784-€1664. 2010 MB Eclass 2.1, 20+ NCB .......:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    that poor car..

I can see the lads Argos gold chain in my head already.

jmreire wrote: »
    Don't keep us in suspense..........how much was it???? Presently getting quotes from €784-€1664. 2010 MB Eclass 2.1, 20+ NCB .......:mad:

It was under 800. I'm paying over €1000 for a bog standard focus. There really is no rhyme nor reason to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I've had an 06 RX 400h for a few years. Insurance is very cheap, usually €570-650. They are driven by middle aged men who rarely crash them and tend to look after them. An RX isn't attractive to boy racers and doesn't have the 'loadsamoney' look of an S-Class, so the insurance category tends to be lower.

I still have a SAAB 9-3 with a hot turbo, when I had it on the road the insurance was half that of the B5.5 Passat 1.9D that I had at the same time, even though the SAAB had twice the power. Also the insurance on the Passat went UP when I moved from Rathmines to Roscommon. Reason being that the 5.5 Passat was a favourite at the time of the local boy racer set an had a tendency to end up in a ditch at 4 a.m. on a Sunday morning.

KevRossi wrote: »
    I've had an 06 RX 400h for a few years. Insurance is very cheap, usually €570-650. They are driven by middle aged men who rarely crash them and tend to look after them. An RX isn't attractive to boy racers and doesn't have the 'loadsamoney' look of an S-Class, so the insurance category tends to be lower.

I still have a SAAB 9-3 with a hot turbo, when I had it on the road the insurance was half that of the B5.5 Passat 1.9D that I had at the same time, even though the SAAB had twice the power. Also the insurance on the Passat went UP when I moved from Rathmines to Roscommon. Reason being that the 5.5 Passat was a favourite at the time of the local boy racer set an had a tendency to end up in a ditch at 4 a.m. on a Sunday morning.

this is it. By the same token an S class is cheaper to insure than a C class or E class usually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

A few years ago ( pre 2016 ) insurance was generally speaking, reasonably priced. According to the insurers, it was under priced, which is why starting in 2016 they massively increased their premium's. Now that the insurance company's money tanks have not only been topped up, but are overflowing ( google insurance profits, and Pierce Doherty ) it has become the new normal to extract as much as possible from a legally captive "audience". In the last year or two, there has been a slight leveling off on premium prices, not a lot, but the upward march seems to have slowed a bit. Legalized banditry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

True my lowest was down to under 300 a good few years back up and up since then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Also the insurance on the Passat went UP when I moved from Rathmines to Roscommon. Reason being that the 5.5 Passat was a favourite at the time of the local boy racer set an had a tendency to end up in a ditch at 4 a.m. on a Sunday morning.

Just moving from the Westmeath side of Athlone to the Roscommon side of Athlone will increase your insurance dramatically.

It seems, that Co. Roscommon has more crashes than Co. Westmeath.

I made that move last year, insurance increased, then moved back to Co. Westmeath this year and my insurance went down again. And I'm talking 100's of EUR worth in the difference on an Audi Allroad and a Disco 3.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,337 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Marlow wrote: »
    Just moving from the Westmeath side of Athlone to the Roscommon side of Athlone will increase your insurance dramatically.

I made that move last year, insurance increased, then moved back to Co. Westmeath this year and my insurance went down again. And I'm talking 100's of EUR worth in the difference on an Audi Allroad and a Disco 3.

/M

Serves you right for driving a disco 3:pac:

Marlow wrote: »

/M

different loadings are mad, Leixlip Kildare vs Lucan co.dublin , 1km in the difference can shave hundreds off quotes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Serves you right for driving a disco 3:pac:

The Disco 3 is the cheap one, as it's the only thing I have that is under 15 years old .. and is my "work van". When it drives that is. Certainly the most fragile thing of what I have.
    different loadings are mad, Leixlip Kildare vs Lucan co.dublin , 1km in the difference can shave hundreds off quotes.

Well .. the same for crossing the Shannon in the midlands. Don't have to be in the pale for that.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I worked until recently, for an insurance company as an analyst.

I was involved in the creation of a the new mathematical model for motor insurance and it has become a much more sophisticated beast than it was.

But of course, all that matters for most people is the number spat out at the end rather than the mathematical and risk journey that you go on to get there.

From a geographic POV I fed in things like, junction proximity, school proximity and even border proximity! I think in the end we discovered nearly 300 new variables that weren't being used before to calculate rates.

It's come a long way from when I was 17 and giving my address as my aunts in Lucan as opposed to where I was in Ballyfermot to get a decent quote on a Punto.

It will all filter through over the next few years. Provided it's this particular company you get quotes from I guess.

---

I remember I was there when Truckermal got his Lexus and I decided I would try and jump on the Luxobarge wagon and even for me it jumped up (old insurance model), to about 800 quid for an LS430 vs the 450 I was paying on the Carina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

LS 460 with a brand new NCT to 05/21 for €4,950.

I don't like them in silver, but it's a lot of car for the money if it checks out.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-ls-2007-new-nct-cream-interior/24616968

ZGFhMWNjN2E4NDU3Yjg5MzE4NjQ3M2I5ZmUxNWFkNGF58-uA0U2qPAiCc7JBz3RzaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDY2MTY0NTh8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Went to see this one this morning and there's marks all over it so I didn't even bother taking it for a drive. I asked to see the other one they have which is another 2007 with 170k km and black interior for €7k. He (Gary) accused me of not having the budget for that car so I just walked away. I'd have drove away in the 7k one had he not had the attitude of a wet dog after being beaten

I left mine off for €3500 and I had a grand profit after driving it for a year...That's all they are worth...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Troll posts (and quoting/responding posts) removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Getting rare, 7 months NCT for €3,300 but you could get it for under €3K.

Not very desirable, but perfectly adequate engine, low enough spec, not perfect, but nice to get into in the morning.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/bmw-728i-msport-e38/24728448

MWE4NzM4OGVjOGI0YmFjOGYxZWRkY2IyMTE4MWFjYzk2h8tkHCR7yyVca-WgYflGaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDYyMzIxNDh8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Love that 7 series era. Will definitely be looking for one in two years or so, hopefully a v12

That's definitely the nicest 7 series ever made especially the one Voodoomelon had!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Looks a nice example.

IMO the black kidney grilles don't suit that car at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Not very desirable, but perfectly adequate engine, low enough spec, not perfect, but nice to get into in the morning.

MWE4NzM4OGVjOGI0YmFjOGYxZWRkY2IyMTE4MWFjYzk2h8tkHCR7yyVca-WgYflGaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDYyMzIxNDh8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Absolutely love that 7 series. Has a great shape and presence, before Bangle!!!

Duke's right re grille though.

Also, the photos are shocking bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

That's definitely the nicest 7 series ever made especially the one Voodoomelon had!
    Think he bought it back? In addition to the newer one he bought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Looks a nice example.

IMO the black kidney grilles don't suit that car at all

Agree with you there Duke. The black just looks wrong to me.

T.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Nope sold it on again to a detailer up North about 2 years ago. It was actually never in better condition than the day I sold it, stupid when I look back on it. Plan is to have a 5 car garage in the next 3 years, full of E BMWs. :)

Kilboor wrote: »
    Love that 7 series era. Will definitely be looking for one in two years or so, hopefully a v12

getting rare, I remember a time where you could get a facelift e38 750i for under 2 grand and Ill never forgive myself for not buying 4 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭marcos_94

I went out to see this originally when he had it up for 4995 about 3 months ago. In great condition bar a few issues with rust on both drivers side doors, and a weird issue of the boot lid panels separating (though I think thats an easy fix). very tempted at this price but not sure if it will fit down the laneway for storage

• Advertisement

marcos_94 wrote: »
    ...........In great condition bar a few issues with rust on both drivers side doors.............

Looks like arch is corroding also.......
    YTUwN2MyZTY2MTRjZjAzODc0MWFkNmU3MmMwY2ZiMTdj_cPYPYwEMuqf3pVl0Tg9aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDYyMzAzMDd8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭pah

Would ye consider a Q7 to be a luxobarge? Anything to look out for?

Need a 7 seater with decent boot space, would like some luxury, don't mind the tax/fuel bills, coming from an is250

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-q7-s-line-4550/24882714?campaign=3

YmU4MDhmOTZhZjVmYTg4NzE0NmFiYjRhYTk3OTJkYzCo-j8ycfPLHkT5PBa9aFNjaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDc4Njg5MjJ8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

The boot isn't that big in them to be honest. If it was your main priority I'd go with an A6 avant.

They're a nice yoke all the same, they turn heads and thats a nicely spec'd example. I'm going to guess that either needs tyres or the wheels are already wrapped in the finest Triangle/LingLong/Woosung ditch finders - a staple of any cheap X5/7 series/A8/Q7/S Class etc.

It looks properly rough too, the photo doesn't really show it but that looks like a nasty mark on the back nearside arch

NjUxMWQ4YTMzNDdjOWRlNmVjZjc4MzUwNDUyYzdlZjDEwqJ_bEnV2FPDIl6iauOoaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDc4Njg5MjN8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

I'm 99% sure that orange warning light on the dash is for the suspension too..its in the right spot anyway IIRC

YjM4ZWM2YmMzYzdjZjYyMDg5Y2YxNDFiYmJjNDEwZDKKw3qmpj4r8bxxZmPZeTdZaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDc4Njg5MjZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

The boot isn't that big in them to be honest. If it was your main priority I'd go with an A6 avant.

They're a nice yoke all the same, they turn heads and thats a nicely spec'd example. I'm going to guess that either needs tyres or the wheels are already wrapped in the finest Triangle/LingLong/Woosung ditch finders - a staple of any cheap X5/7 series/A8/Q7/S Class etc.

It looks properly rough too, the photo doesn't really show it but that looks like a nasty mark on the back nearside arch

NjUxMWQ4YTMzNDdjOWRlNmVjZjc4MzUwNDUyYzdlZjDEwqJ_bEnV2FPDIl6iauOoaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDc4Njg5MjN8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

I'm 99% sure that orange warning light on the dash is for the suspension too..its in the right spot anyway IIRC

YjM4ZWM2YmMzYzdjZjYyMDg5Y2YxNDFiYmJjNDEwZDKKw3qmpj4r8bxxZmPZeTdZaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDc4Njg5MjZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Thanks hadn't spotted the arch. The 7 seats is my neccesity, decent boot not huge. No room in our Zafira for baggage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

are they all 7 seats? that ad doesn't mention it but a few others on donedeal do mention the 7 seats as if its an option

You only have a Golf sized boot with the 7 seats though which is tiny I was mad to buy one year's ago but they look pretty dated now... Most of them are fairly tired at this stage too..

You only have a Golf sized boot with the 7 seats though which is tiny I was mad to buy one year's ago but they look pretty dated now... Most of them are fairly tired at this stage too..

Yeah, they’re basically a C6 A6 inside, and they’ve been out since 04.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Unless you're handy with a spanner and want to take on working on the suspension yourself, I'd steer well clear. You could be looking at €500+ per corner to sort the suspension at an indpendent mechanic. Don't even think of brining it to Audi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Absolutely love that 7 series. Has a great shape and presence, before Bangle!!!

Duke's right re grille though.

Also, the photos are shocking bad.

The M pars more than compensate for the grille (which I completely agree doesn't suit the car at all).

I wouldn't be put off by the rust on the arches - assuming it's not that bad. Being a (presumably UK) import it could be rusty underneath, though - that would be my biggest concern.

It wouldn't be fast but that engine is absolutely bulletproof, it would get to 200k miles in its sleep if you looked after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

They are a lovely yoke the Q7, definitely on the bucket list, although they do have a image of a low rent gangster on Love/Hate.

• Advertisement

They're a nice yoke all the same, they turn heads and thats a nicely spec'd example.

How so? Looks fairly basic to me.

newmember? wrote: »
    How so? Looks fairly basic to me.

This is what a standard (SE spec) looks like inside

ZTg5ZGQ1ODAyZmNjYzVlMGRmODhiZjYwOWRmYTIzMjDTvQbSxH2cOPvyJu5ziHxgaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDY3NzY3NjZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

The above example has MMI Plus (sat nav, phone connectivity and DAB etc), S line seats - heated too, which isn't standard on these, nicer steering wheel (with gearbox controls I think), parking sensors and so on.

In fact as far as spec goes on a Mk1 Q7 it has pretty much everything you can have, bar maybe full leather.

ZTg5ZGQ1ODAyZmNjYzVlMGRmODhiZjYwOWRmYTIzMjDTvQbSxH2cOPvyJu5ziHxgaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDY3NzY3NjZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

The above example has MMI Plus (sat nav, phone connectivity and DAB etc), S line seats - heated too, which isn't standard on these, nicer steering wheel and so on.

In fact as far as spec goes on a Mk1 Q7 it has pretty much everything you can have, bar maybe full leather.

Ah OK, point taken. Although I meant basic in that the extras it has are fairly minimal, although when I look now what was actually available there wasn't much. I had always considered these a top of the range luxobarge SUV but seem far from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Those Q7's were the motoring symbol of the Celtic Tiger era. Every developer in the country and his wife had one. A glut of them hit the second market then when the crash hit around 2008.

They sold that model until 2014 too. You can buy one today for €35k and it’ll be no more special than a 06 one for €4k.

They sold that model until 2014 too. You can buy one today for €35k and it’ll be no more special than a 06 one for €4k.

That's why I want a 06 one for €4k :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/25053157

1st W221 I’ve seen that looks half decent for under €4k.

€3500

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I Was VB wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/view/25053157

1st W221 I’ve seen that looks half decent for under €4k.

€3500

That car is for sale three doors up from me...
    I'm currently driving a 2012 BMW 520d...
    But, you know...
    That is one handsome automobile...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

The above example has MMI Plus (sat nav, phone connectivity and DAB etc), S line seats - heated too, which isn't standard on these, nicer steering wheel (with gearbox controls I think), parking sensors and so on.

Are they reliable ? They’re basically the same as the Touareg arent they ? I’ve heard lads say they weren’t that great reliability wise

• Advertisement

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-730i-3-0-se-2008-rare-petrol/24227198

YTA0ZDlmMjJiNzNiZjliNmQ4NGMwZjk5ODQwNWZhMzKfi1mQ8OoA2CtYITX8GE0GaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDg1NDIxNzV8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Petrol E65 with 12 months NCT, €5k

Not much spec - heated comfort seats are a nice addition though. Looks like a nice example anyway

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement