Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

100k extra for 4 cylinders more and a turbo with a smaller engine!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

S63 s65 go for a pittance in the uk, the w221 ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

Savage maintenance costs reason why id say moreso on the V12.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭traco

S65 is the base engine of a Pagani Huarya or whatever you call it. That Merc V12 is one of the great engines of our time

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭E36Ross

Before I deal with the dreaded DoneDeal dreamers and 5 lads turning up in a Vito.

I have a 2006 S320CDi (W220) NCT 2/21 & Taxed until June!!

Asking €3,300

PM me and ill give you a full honest description.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Any pics?

I was blessed with a sale earlier this week, listed a 318Ci with a nicely done advert at midnight before bed, car was gone and cash in my hand at 10am!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

traco wrote: »
    S65 is the base engine of a Pagani Huarya or whatever you call it. That Merc V12 is one of the great engines of our time
    The Pagan Huar Ya, must have been many the parish priest bought one of those :D

Any pics?

I was blessed with a sale earlier this week, listed a 318Ci with a nicely done advert at midnight before bed, car was gone and cash in my hand at 10am!

was it a facelift and m sport? they look the bit and at 2L its not much tax for the good looks... just saw it in the boardsies for sale thread. Had a 2000 318ci myself. the bhp is disappointing for a 1.9... I also found the accelerator peddle so heavy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Idbatterim wrote: »
    was it a facelift and m sport? they look the bit and at 2L its not much tax for the good looks... just saw it in the boardsies for sale thread. Had a 2000 318ci myself. the bhp is disappointing for a 1.9... I also found the accelerator peddle so heavy...

I had 2 of these myself a 2000 318i SE with 118bhp I think and then a 2002 318ci sport with 144bhp if memory serves me right. Thats in around where a lot of normally aspirated 2.0 are these days. The 118bhp was slow looking back on it, but I was young at the time and just glad to be in a BMW.

The 2002 was a facelift and was much the better car. Also again, its hazy but I think the 2000 car was a 1.9 and the 2002 car was a 2.0

Worse again, there was a 1.9 badged as 316i which had 105bhp
    320i at the time was a 6 cyl 2.2 with 170bhp but the pick of the e46 at the time was defo the 320d, was the car that brought diesel into the premium mainstream really along with the e39 530d.

• Advertisement

I had 2 of these myself a 2000 318i SE with 118bhp I think and then a 2002 318ci sport with 144bhp if memory serves me right. Thats in around where a lot of normally aspirated 2.0 are these days. The 118bhp was slow looking back on it, but I was young at the time and just glad to be in a BMW.

The 2002 was a facelift and was much the better car. Also again, its hazy but I think the 2000 car was a 1.9 and the 2002 car was a 2.0

Worse again, there was a 1.9 badged as 316i which had 105bhp
    320i at the time was a 6 cyl 2.2 with 170bhp but the pick of the e46 at the time was defo the 320d, was the car that brought diesel into the premium mainstream really along with the e39 530d.

yeah the 1.9 was 115bhp ... The 2L was 144bhp, but wasnt as reliable an engine. I moved from that car to a facelift 325ci, what a gorgeous car and the 2.5L was the sweet spot on the ridiculous cc motor tax system here, ridiculous for anything that isnt a small engine rather...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

yeah the 1.9 was 115bhp ... The 2L was 144bhp, but wasnt as reliable an engine. I moved from that car to a facelift 325ci, what a gorgeous car and the 2.5L was the sweet spot on the ridiculous cc motor tax system here, ridiculous for anything that isnt a small engine rather...

Yea I have a pre-facelift 325ci which I have stored for a while, tax for 3 months & put it back. But every time I drive it I think how far backwards cars have gone nowadays. It's slower & harder to drive fast than a new 330i but much more fun once you keep the revs up. I've a mapped GTI too so I'm not against Turbocharging but those old straight 6es were lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭littlevillage

E36Ross wrote: »
    ....and 5 lads turning up in a Vito.

That made me laugh :-)

Had that experience myself. Had an auld banger of a Primera for sale 10 or 15 years ago ..€1000 job. A buyer arrived anyway, Polish fella, and think he had 3 other lads in the car with him!!

What's more, it was quite late in the evening in a pub car park, I was actually ****ting myself.... Anyway, long story short he bought the car, for asking price ... there and then.... Sound out.

Yea I have a pre-facelift 325ci which I have stored for a while, tax for 3 months & put it back. But every time I drive it I think how far backwards cars have gone nowadays. It's slower & harder to drive fast than a new 330i but much more fun once you keep the revs up. I've a mapped GTI too so I'm not against Turbocharging but those old straight 6es were lovely.

I agree, was thinking of selling my S500 that does near zero mileage. To replace is with what I thought... I prefer the shape of the w221 I have to the newer shape S anyway. So I go looking around, of course its all diesel, nothing decent petrol. They have a serious love for "badges"pity they all want the fur coat no knickers versions... I love the E39 m sport, serious mans car. This crap of going "up the years" etc, they became about nothing other than "economy" (read compromise) and "tech" ... urghhhh!:rolleyes:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2002-bmw-525i-msportrare-example/25916397

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

I agree, was thinking of selling my S500 that does near zero mileage. To replace is with what I thought... I prefer the shape of the w221 I have to the newer shape S anyway. So I go looking around, of course its all diesel, nothing decent petrol. They have a serious love for "badges"pity they all want the fur coat no knickers versions... I love the E39 m sport, serious mans car. This crap of going "up the years" etc, they became about nothing other than "economy" (read compromise) and "tech" ... urghhhh!:rolleyes:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2002-bmw-525i-msportrare-example/25916397

That 525 is gorgeous, again it's in the tax sweet spot. You'd miss an S500 though I'd imagine. I'd love to replace my 325 with something like the 525 but I'm losing my storage space soon so I'll be down to one car & the gti has been 6 years of faultless reliability so going to stick with that as the primary car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I loved my E39 525i. It was expensive to run though, and the M54 drinks oil. Fantastic to drive with the Msport suspension and the straight six sounds amazing. If I had the budget I'd look for a 2003 530i but they're rare so it's hard to be choosey. If you're seriously looking, check out the BMW forums, and get in touch with Valdas at Motor Confidence (his bedside manner leaves a lot to be desired, but he knows his stuff and everyone goes to him).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

Two very cheap and what looks like on the surface usable W220’s

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/26068069

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/26075949

I’ve never seen a burgundy one of these.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

A neighbour of mine had a 05 530i loaded into a Polish lorry earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

In the market for something around 3k atm as megane is about to go up for sale, would love a V8 for 6 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

In the market for something around 3k atm as megane is about to go up for sale, would love a V8 for 6 months

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-740i-automatic/25600186

YzNlOTAyYTE4YTUzNzhjOTg0ZmM4MTVhZjE0ZDM3OGF8iIns8oD0RGmmRYgwdjxJaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTcwMTM5MDJ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Buy this yoke!

Or bid on it this thursday

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-740i-for-auction-1st-oct-2020/26011777

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/cayenne-new-nct/26164465

MjMyYzE3MzZiNjJiMTJjMTFiZmViMGViMzRhMjIxYjeIuwSaGUwT8tXXCeNkalVcaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTg0NzM5OTd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Original Irish 4.5 V8 Cayenne S, not too many owners, new NCT, nice spec, €3800

Seems a lot of car for the money. Interesting alternative to an X5

• Advertisement

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-phaeton/26081869

ODQwYjhjYjdlY2I2OTBlOGQ4ZTczNzUwYWMyYmIwZjDeTA5NpBBTbJPHWonCR8J0aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTc3MTY5NTh8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Nice looking 2010 Phaeton, NCT til February 2021 and tax all the way til July 2021, €5500

Miles are a bit high but it could be a nice buy, claims of new Uniroyals and the long tax are good signs IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭crazyjim

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/huge-spec-mercedes-benz-s350-s-class-new-nct/25505337

ODM5NjhhYzZmZDgxZTQwNjZmMDE1MThjMTg0Zjg0MjTBVVwcQtkprGfP-YrWPHaYaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTI1NzQzMTl8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

NCT is to 3 Mar 21, 96kms claimed, €2,950. Looks fresh for a 2005 - new lights ? It's a dealer, wondered what he picked it up for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/cayenne-new-nct/26164465

Original Irish 4.5 V8 Cayenne S, not too many owners, new NCT, nice spec, €3800

Seems a lot of car for the money. Interesting alternative to an X5

Would be worried about that noise the seller mentions... Could be an expensive fix but it does seem a lot of car for the cash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

I think that older 4.5 had Nikasil issues... Be careful!

crazyjim wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/huge-spec-mercedes-benz-s350-s-class-new-nct/25505337

ODM5NjhhYzZmZDgxZTQwNjZmMDE1MThjMTg0Zjg0MjTBVVwcQtkprGfP-YrWPHaYaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTI1NzQzMTl8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

NCT is to 3 Mar 21, 96kms claimed, €2,950. Looks fresh for a 2005 - new lights ? It's a dealer, wondered what he picked it up for.

Hate ads like that. "Huge spec"

Bar the heated seats, sunroof and W221 wheels that looks standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

E36Ross wrote: »
    Hate ads like that. "Huge spec"

Bar the heated seats, sunroof and W221 wheels that looks standard.

How could you not buy this car for this price. It’s unbelievable how much you get for the price of a 12 year old Mazda 3

96000 kms. Decent buy for someone maybe but the 1809 tax makes owning it long term unattractive. Its going to need work at that age even with low mileage.

Akrasia wrote: »
    How could you not buy this car for this price. It’s unbelievable how much you get for the price of a 12 year old Mazda 3

Because you can buy mine for the same price with tax well into next year. :D

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-s320cdi-quotlong-tax-nct-quot/26086144

lassykk wrote: »
    Would be worried about that noise the seller mentions... Could be an expensive fix but it does seem a lot of car for the cash

Honest add but not many would take a punt on an engine flush & some sparplugs / coils sorting 'Starting and driving ok with lots of power but has tappat noise and hesitates while accelerating. Went through NCT with no problems.....' IMO ..... But it might well be something easily fixed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

lassykk wrote: »
    Yeah I'm be fairly sure that would be an expensive fix. It's for the knackers yard I reckon. Shame as it has a lot going for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭GavMan

Yeah I'm be fairly sure that would be an expensive fix. It's for the knackers yard I reckon. Shame as it has a lot going for it.

Arrange for a mechanic to look at it for an assessment of what that noise is and ask the seller to bring it to them maybe. If they are as honest as they seem, they would be happy to comply.

I know if I was selling a car that is difficult to shift, I would be happy to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-phaeton/26081869

ODQwYjhjYjdlY2I2OTBlOGQ4ZTczNzUwYWMyYmIwZjDeTA5NpBBTbJPHWonCR8J0aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTc3MTY5NTh8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Nice looking 2010 Phaeton, NCT til February 2021 and tax all the way til July 2021, €5500

Miles are a bit high but it could be a nice buy, claims of new Uniroyals and the long tax are good signs IMO

Looks a good shout. 2010 is apparently the best year for that V6 tdi. Presuming it's the same as the A6... Regular poster on here put up huge miles in his. 300k i think before he sold it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Philip M5

Interslice wrote: »
    Looks a good shout. 2010 is apparently the best year for that V6 tdi. Presuming it's the same as the A6... Regular poster on here put up huge miles in his. 300k i think before he sold it.

When you run the reg on motortax.ie, it is coming up as 95euro a year.

Limo tax?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Interslice wrote: »

It's on taxi tax, wonder how much on normal? There's a LWB one on Pistonheads and it's 224 (g/km) which would bring it to €1200 a year.

Philip M5 wrote: »
    Limo tax?

Quite likely Taxi and hackney €95/year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Crappiest engine of them all.

Don't know how I never copped that it would be PSV tax on that Phaeton! Pity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Don't know how I never copped that it would be PSV tax on that Phaeton! Pity

Tax is Tax!:pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Truckermal wrote: »
    Tax is Tax!:pac:

Tax may be tax but there is a big difference between €95 and €1,805.

Also someone paying €95 is more likely to be doing very high mileage.

• Advertisement

Sf want to scrap the penalty for not paying full years tax, thi k cost was hundred million etc, id be fully supportive of it... seeing as its tbose being robbed on tax, doing it that way v the current 90%+ plus cars on the road with as good as free motor tax ...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Sf want to scrap the penalty for not paying full years tax, thi k cost was hundred million etc, id be fully supportive of it... seeing as its tbose being robbed on tax, doing it that way v the current 90%+ plus cars on the road with as good as free motor tax ...

I think that the overdue tax should have to be paid before a transfer of ownership. The tax is not due if the vehicle is declared off the road in advance.
    It is ridiculous that such a loophole be allowed.

Also, the tax should be allowed to be paid monthly in advance by direct debit the way many insurance companies operate. Perhaps a small premium be charged which comes off the final months payment - for example if the road tax was €600 for the year they pay €52 per month and final month is €28 making €600 for the year, providing it has been paid on time each month.

The other problem is refunding unused tax which currently only happens if the vehicle is scrapped. Perhaps refunding 95% for each full month left if vehicle is declared off the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Also, the tax should be allowed to be paid monthly in advance by direct debit the way many insurance companies operate.
    Insurance always costs more if paid in installments, so those who can't afford to tax for a full year are still penalised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's rather crazy that commercial use of the road in a taxi is €95 a year but the same car in private hands is €1809 a year. Any other sector business pays much higher commercial rates for the likes of water and waste services etc.

Top Dog wrote: »
    Insurance always costs more if paid in installments, so those who can't afford to tax for a full year are still penalised.

I know insurance companies charge more, but that is not what I think should happen. The example I gave would mean a higher cost per month but at 12 months the extra is credited back so it would be the same as paying up front.. Also, if the charges are not paid on time, the refund would not happen.

I know insurance companies charge more, but that is not what I think should happen. The example I gave would mean a higher cost per month but at 12 months the extra is credited back so it would be the same as paying up front.. Also, if the charges are not paid on time, the refund would not happen.
    Sounds very complicated, and if you sell the car within the period you've paid more for whatever amount of months and don't get the credit back. Or in order to get the credit back its a headache. Much easier to simply divide the annual cost by 12 and leave it at that. €600 a year? That's €50 a month so and no complication of overpaying or credits. Keep it simple.

• Advertisement

Sounds very complicated, and if you sell the car within the period you've paid more for whatever amount of months and don't get the credit back. Or in order to get the credit back its a headache. Much easier to simply divide the annual cost by 12 and leave it at that. €600 a year? That's €50 a month so and no complication of overpaying or credits. Keep it simple.

It works for the insurance companies, and is not difficult - just sign up for the direct debit - credit card or debit card. At least is does not cost more for the monthly charge. What could be simpler than that. Alternative is to pay full amount up front.

Of course there is the problem of identifying whether an NCT and insurance is in force, but that is another issue.

It works for the insurance companies, and is not difficult - just sign up for the direct debit - credit card or debit card. At least is does not cost more for the monthly charge. What could be simpler than that. Alternative is to pay full amount up front.

Of course there is the problem of identifying whether an NCT and insurance is in force, but that is another issue.
    Insurance companies charge more for the first instalment, with 10 more payments and a break in the last month - not the same thing as what you've proposed ;)

Plus you can freeze or transfer an insurance policy, where tax is specific to one car.

Insurance companies charge more for the first instalment, with 10 more payments and a break in the last month - not the same thing as what you've proposed ;)

Plus you can freeze or transfer an insurance policy, where tax is specific to one car.

Insurance companies also charge interest if you choose to pay monthly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It's rather crazy that commercial use of the road in a taxi is €95 a year but the same car in private hands is €1809 a year. Any other sector business pays much higher commercial rates for the likes of water and waste services etc.

The rationale for the reduced motor tax rate is that a taxi/hackney is an SPSV ie. a small public service vehicle.

It forms part of the infrastructure of the public transport system complementing buses, trams, trains etc.

If the vehicles were taxed at the higher rate it would just be passed on to the customers.

HGVs are 900 which is loony cheap also if you look at it that way.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement