Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Top Dog wrote: »
    Insurance companies charge more for the first instalment, with 10 more payments and a break in the last month - not the same thing as what you've proposed ;)

Plus you can freeze or transfer an insurance policy, where tax is specific to one car.

I also suggested that Motor Tax should be able to be refunded without the car having to be scrapped. Of course because Motor Tax is charge by the month or part of a month.

These are suggestions, and of course it is possible to pick holes, but suggest something that could be acceptable and would not cost too much rather than misunderstanding it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭KevRossi

elperello wrote: »
    The rationale for the reduced motor tax rate is that a taxi/hackney is an SPSV ie. a small public service vehicle.

It forms part of the infrastructure of the public transport system complementing buses, trams, trains etc.

If the vehicles were taxed at the higher rate it would just be passed on to the customers.

Don't want to go off topic here, but they are private businesses, they should not be regarded as public transport. The cost per trip would be very small compared to the amount of trips they do in a year.

FWIW motor tax should be added to fuel IMO, like they do in France. It's the right time to do it, as well over half the cars on the road are taxed under the emissions rate and are paying under €400 pa for motor tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

KevRossi wrote: »
    Don't want to go off topic here, but they are private businesses, they should not be regarded as public transport. The cost per trip would be very small compared to the amount of trips they do in a year.

FWIW motor tax should be added to fuel IMO, like they do in France. It's the right time to do it, as well over half the cars on the road are taxed under the emissions rate and are paying under €400 pa for motor tax.

Luas and private buses are private businesses forming part of public transport too. Zero sum game to increase tax and have it taken back from customers.

Agree re. add to fuel but it would favour people taking shorter journeys on the roads which need to have use limited ie. cities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

These are suggestions, and of course it is possible to pick holes, but suggest something that could be acceptable and would not cost too much rather than misunderstanding it.
    I did suggest something. :)

Take the annual fee, divide it by 12, and pay monthly. No interest. No penalties. No uneven payments. No awkward admin or paperwork. Why complicate things when there's a simple option ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I did suggest something. :)

Take the annual fee, divide it by 12, and pay monthly. No interest. No penalties. No uneven payments. No awkward admin or paperwork. Why complicate things when there's a simple option ;)

You new around these parts stranger?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Adding tax onto fuel would make avoidance of paying motor tax impossible and as said earlier, if you use the car less you pay less tax.

An option for businesses would to get rebates twice a year on the additional cost they pay in fuel. It would also encourage more business vehicles to go towards the hybrid or more efficient models.

But it would impact those with classic cars etc who currently pay a lower tax rate however classic cars are limited to a lower mileage, 5000 miles a year iirc so it may balance out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    Adding tax onto fuel
    So... more fuel tax onto fuel the current fuel tax?
    • Excise: per litre, 54.18 cents for petrol and 42.57 cents for diesel (The excise duty on fuel is levied on a per-litre basis and not as a percentage of the price, which means when the cost of fuel falls, the tax remains at the same level.
    • NORA levy: per litre, funds the National Oil Reserves Agency (NORA), 2.00 cent per litre for both diesel and petrol;
    • Carbon tax: per litre, 4.59 cents for petrol and 5.33 cents for diesel;
    • Biofuel obligation: the State obliges oil companies to ensure that 6% of their volume of all motor fuels is from renewable sources such as ethanol or biodiesel. Oil companies meet this obligation in a variety of ways and the blending mix for each product may differ between different companies. The net effect currently is to add about 1.5 cents to a litre of petrol and about 3 cents to a litre of diesel – (to both of which VAT is added at 23%);
    • Better Energy Levy: 0.12 cents per litre.
    • VAT: 23% on all of the above. The amount of VAT therefore rises and falls with the cost of product.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

the_syco wrote: »
    So... more fuel tax onto fuel the current fuel tax?
    • Excise: per litre, 54.18 cents for petrol and 42.57 cents for diesel (The excise duty on fuel is levied on a per-litre basis and not as a percentage of the price, which means when the cost of fuel falls, the tax remains at the same level.
    • NORA levy: per litre, funds the National Oil Reserves Agency (NORA), 2.00 cent per litre for both diesel and petrol;
    • Carbon tax: per litre, 4.59 cents for petrol and 5.33 cents for diesel;
    • Biofuel obligation: the State obliges oil companies to ensure that 6% of their volume of all motor fuels is from renewable sources such as ethanol or biodiesel. Oil companies meet this obligation in a variety of ways and the blending mix for each product may differ between different companies. The net effect currently is to add about 1.5 cents to a litre of petrol and about 3 cents to a litre of diesel – (to both of which VAT is added at 23%);
    • Better Energy Levy: 0.12 cents per litre.
    • VAT: 23% on all of the above. The amount of VAT therefore rises and falls with the cost of product.

Yes I know there is a high tax on fuel already but the current system just doesn't work so its one possible alternative.

On another note, its going to be interesting to see what the government does in the future if there is a large scale move to EVs. They will lose large amounts of income from motor tax and also from the tax on fuel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

You new around these parts stranger?
    Nah :D

Just an eternal optimist hoping that some day, somehow, someone might make sensible decisions. I know it's fantasy, but with all the doom and gloom lately I have to have something to hope for :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    Adding tax onto fuel would make avoidance of paying motor tax impossible and as said earlier, if you use the car less you pay less tax.

An option for businesses would to get rebates twice a year on the additional cost they pay in fuel. It would also encourage more business vehicles to go towards the hybrid or more efficient models.

But it would impact those with classic cars etc who currently pay a lower tax rate however classic cars are limited to a lower mileage, 5000 miles a year iirc so it may balance out.
    Why get rid of one when you can keep her lit on two? IMHO Both taxes are going up, and "mid level polluting cars" are going to be hit hard in motor tax.
    Never mind the actual pollution from EV but lets move on quickly before we dissappear down a black hole on that
    There's a very strong drive in Dublin to get cars off the road by sabotaging the roads and needlessly eliminating parking spaces. Keep in mind Green party ideas about one car per village and you'll not be far off the mantra.
    Just an eternal optimist hoping that some day, somehow, someone might make sensible decisions.
    1. Get rid of polluting cars
    2. ????
    3. Profit!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Any barges coming into view?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Next 3 posts must be about luxobarges

<not luxo barge post>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

That was for sale in Mallow last week for a awful lot less than that! I'd be getting that well checked over too as I'm sure it was for sale in Mallow about a year ago with overheating issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

ek motor wrote: »

Thinking outside the box alright..

What does the average 7 series buyer want?
    A PlayStation for their grandkid of course!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

W221 needing some tlc

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/26152170

Very cheap at €2.5k!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

I Was VB wrote: »
    W221 needing some tlc

Very cheap at €2.5k!

Give it a wash and take some pictures in a place that doesn't look like a halting site and someone might bite!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,337 ✭✭✭CoBo55

W221 needing some tlc

Very cheap at €2.5k!

He'll be price slashing a few times before she's towed off the site...

W221 needing some tlc

Very cheap at €2.5k!

13 years old, 323700 km, sitting up for last 12 months which coincides with NCT expiry & ABS / TRACTION LIGHTS ON.

€2500 doesn't seem cheap tbh, definitely not very cheap.

Petrol s class

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/huge-spec-mercedes-benz-s350-s-class-new-nct/25505337

MTg3MGYwMWZkYWFkYTg0NWEyOTJlYTlkMDVjOTAyYzmWT_k0BMxxcYMhmpdLlodVaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTI1NzQzMTl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

96,000 km, 2005 reg, sold with new NCT according to add, current one expired in Mar 19......

€2950 from a trader with 6 adds up......... approx €100k of metal for sale

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭b.c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-phaeton/26081869

ODQwYjhjYjdlY2I2OTBlOGQ4ZTczNzUwYWMyYmIwZjDeTA5NpBBTbJPHWonCR8J0aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTc3MTY5NTh8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Nice looking 2010 Phaeton, NCT til February 2021 and tax all the way til July 2021, €5500

Miles are a bit high but it could be a nice buy, claims of new Uniroyals and the long tax are good signs IMO

I know who runs (ran) that as a private hire limo for airport runs etc. Serviced on the nose: also runs a few others for the same thing, including a Panamera....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    €5500

Could almost put that in dreamer territory!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭E36Ross

E36Ross wrote: »
    Before I deal with the dreaded DoneDeal dreamers and 5 lads turning up in a Vito.

I have a 2006 S320CDi (W220) NCT 2/21 & Taxed until June!!

Asking €2,995

PM me and ill give you a full honest description.

I now have this on DoneDeal. https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-s320cdi-quotlong-tax-nct-quot/26086144

Surprisingly iv only had a few 'Your last price' messages so far. :lol:

E36Ross wrote: »
    'Your last price'

€3500

Mess with their heads! ;);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Augeo wrote: »
    Petrol s class

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/huge-spec-mercedes-benz-s350-s-class-new-nct/25505337

MTg3MGYwMWZkYWFkYTg0NWEyOTJlYTlkMDVjOTAyYzmWT_k0BMxxcYMhmpdLlodVaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTI1NzQzMTl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

96,000 km, 2005 reg, sold with new NCT according to add, current one expired in Mar 19......

How bright and clean that steering wheel is worries me, 96,000km shouldn't have it looking bad enough to replace, and its definitely been replaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

How bright and clean that steering wheel is worries me, 96,000km shouldn't have it looking bad enough to replace, and its definitely been replaced.

Is it possible it had a steering wheel cover on it?

Is it possible it had a steering wheel cover on it?

in theory anythings possible, but I'd be verifying the low mileage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Awful lot of tax paid over the years for such little mileage. The seat bolster on the drivers side isn't in any pictures, that's normally where you want to look for wear and tear after the steering wheel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The "new" NCT is 03/03/2021, so the ad has probably been recycled a bit?

Always suspicious of a blank dash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

Wheels from a W221 on a W220.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,005 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

in theory anythings possible, but I'd be verifying the low mileage.

any way of doing this without seeing the NCT reports ? not for this car, but another I am looking at. Any way of checking these myself ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭traco

No way of seeing the NCT unfortunately, unlike the UK MOT system

Definitely ?You can tell that from relatively poor pictures or is it the wrong wheel for the car or what?

Getting stuff bright and shiny isn't overly difficult surely.

Example here from buffshop detailing from instagram yesterday

529098.JPG

BMW 740i, €3,500. NCT to 01/21, but says in ad it has a new one. Nice colours, nice alloys, poor ad, needs a wash, so might not be the best looked after.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/bmw-740i/26212158

ZjMzZjY0YTVjOWFjOTEzMTdiZGJiZjQwNDFiY2ZmOTdWSJpryVkSMwcbg-pnm-GjaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTg5MzkwNDR8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

YTQwMDY5YmFhOWEzZGE3NTk2MmM5YWVlYjYwZWE2OTh8FxbRXsngQqk6toP9axjbaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTg5MzkwNDZ8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Philip M5

KevRossi wrote: »
    BMW 740i, €3,500. NCT to 01/21, but says in ad it has a new one. Nice colours, nice alloys, poor ad, needs a wash, so might not be the best looked after.

Alloys are reps for a start and looks like ebay Alpina badges added.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Would ya reckon he even knows what those Alpina badges are about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Alpina never made a 740i, they made a B7 though.

• Advertisement

also 'full spec'
    it has heated seats, thats the only option on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭TommyGun2017

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2001-bmw-728i/25964806?campaign=14

Sticking with the 7 series theme but a more classic design. Wonder if it was spec'ed with the James Bond remote remote control? These things are glorious IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

The last 2001 model year always popped up odd spec combos, I don't think i've seen a 728i before with double glazing. Adaptive suspension too which is nice.

The last 2001 model year always popped up odd spec combos, I don't think i've seen a 728i before with double glazing. Adaptive suspension too which is nice.

adaptive suspension, comfort seats, nav, the clear light pack but still halogen headlights and its the 6 cylinder, its an odd spec alright, its like they started building a 750 from the back forward, got to the front and the parts bin had no V12 or xenons left :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

The nicest 7er ever made IMO I see you still have the pressed plates of your one in the Garage still!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭crazyjim

That driver's seat puts me right off it for some reason. Like Helmut Kohl used to own it or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭crazyjim

Augeo wrote: »
    Petrol s class

Price drop to €2,650. I think sellers need a reality check on their Barge asking prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-730d/24738811?campaign=8

YWU1NzY2NDMzZTg1NTFjMzQ0N2RiZGUwMzhjZjJhMzKLOHCNls0vk924FIvDoZQBaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDYyODYzNzZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Nicely spec'd 730d, €4750

Sunroof, comfort access, adaptive cruise, heated/active comfort seats

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-730d/24738811?campaign=8

YWU1NzY2NDMzZTg1NTFjMzQ0N2RiZGUwMzhjZjJhMzKLOHCNls0vk924FIvDoZQBaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDYyODYzNzZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Nicely spec'd 730d, €4750

Sunroof, comfort access, adaptive cruise, heated/active comfort seats

thats a decent machine for an alright price, if you could get the price down a few hundred it would be a very solid bit of motoring ready to munch a load more miles, new turbo and all.

• Advertisement

I'd be interested to see receipts for turbo (to see who did it & why & how many miles done since)..... Could be buying trouble. A 14 year old 250k kms 730d needing a turbo is approaching scrap territory IMO.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement