Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Gorteen

If you were to be asked was to list the best luxobarge (reliability, comfort, running costs) what would people put in their top three contenders?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

E36Ross wrote: »
    Does anyone here actually run a luxobarge or just lads posting links and then others try discredit someone only having it a few months or comment on tyres without ever actually seeing the car in person.

You’d hardly need to see it in person to identify that someone has put garbage tyres on .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Cyrus wrote: »
    You’d hardly need to see it in person to identify that someone has put garbage tyres on .

There's literally a picture of the bargain basement ditchfinders in the ad. My concern would be if the in previous owner has put the cheapest tyres possible on it, what else has been done on the cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Gorteen wrote: »
    If you were to be asked was to list the best luxobarge (reliability, comfort, running costs) what would people put in their top three contenders?

Never thought I'd say it but the RX 400 I have now is the winner (or joint winner) on all three accounts. I'm not totally gone on the interior and as the car was purchased in a rush, I thought I'd sell it after 6 months, but I have it 3 years. Incredibly comfortable, the upright seating helps me, but may not be everyones thing.

Apart from consumables, I've purchased a part for €30 and had it installed for €30. That's €60 in repairs over 3 years and 45,000 km. It has around 290,000 on it now.

Range Rover hard to beat for comfort, but it was a 4.2 and I used it towing a trailer in the Alps for a few months it was terrible on petrol. Had a fair few niggles as well but no major issues.

I've had a company loan of Phaetons and A8's for driving 400 km each time and they would tie the RX on comfort, but I doubt they'd beat it on reliability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

"Sailfish" tyres inspire confidence. The black one is a beaut though

I recently ran a set of nereus sailfish 185/70r14 tyres that came on a set of wheels I bought couldn't tell ya the actual specific model but they were very good as far as budget tyres go. Pretty good grip, good strong sidewalls and lasted well.

Way better than the likes of zeetex and austone tyres which I had also had recent experience of on the same car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭traco

Does anyone here actually run a luxobarge or just lads posting links and then others try discredit someone only having it a few months or comment on tyres without ever actually seeing the car in person.

I've both ends of the barge spectrum. A 2002 S280 poverty spec and a 2007 S600L with most options ticked.

I'm 90% sure that 500 was for sale a few months back - but maybe I'm wrong. Facelift, wheels and location all look familiar for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Tommyboy40

Some of us run multiples!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I'm a wannabe. E39 525i to 9-5 to A6 Quattro. Hovering on the edge of barge territory but not quite there. I do like my auto + leather.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭crazyjim

IMO original complaint arises because someone doesnt like that their 200,000 mile, old, V6 diesel S-Class with "suspension ok" was called out as recently transferred, which was not disclosed. A completely standard thing to comment on. And no one went to view it because it was overpriced - let alone in a pandemic. And no one values prepaid tax on a car even remotely fully, which everyone also knows.

**** tyres are **** tyres. Perfect reasonable to comment on a barge or performance car.

Ireland has a bit of a streak - sadly people don't value old cars highly. You rarely get what you deserve, I think. And the same streak often causes them to skimp on tyres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

bazz26 wrote: »
    Chrysler were not just using Mercedes bits in some of their models. Daimler acquired Chrysler back in the late 1990s to form the company Daimler Chrysler. Daimler then flogged Chrysler to Fiat hence the 300c being later rebadged as a Lancia Thema.

Chrysler crossfire and merc slk were basically same car underneath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭E36Ross

crazyjim wrote: »
    IMO original complaint arises because someone doesnt like that their 200,000 mile, old, V6 diesel S-Class with "suspension ok" was called out as recently transferred, which was not disclosed. A completely standard thing to comment on. And no one went to view it because it was overpriced - let alone in a pandemic. And no one values prepaid tax on a car even remotely fully, which everyone also knows.

Obviously a dig at myself, You mean the overpriced car that is now sold?

Why would I randomly disclose that info in an ad? Anyone that was interested could have rang and asked.

I enjoyed an S Class for nearly 4 months trouble free driving and it didn't cost me a cent..... Is that not the epitome of this 'Luxobarge' thread?

Was just interested in other people's experiences.

As regards tyres, Its Ireland... Iv seen 2 year old Audis come in with Michelin and leave with Chinas finest.... Doesn't mean the car wasn't looked after, To some people a tyre is a tyre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Last warning. Move on folks
    Random manual 520 to break up the chat for just under the 5k limit at €4,950
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-5-series-se-excellent-cond/26602624
    On the cheap tax too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

the_syco wrote: »
    On the cheap tax too!

Lol, a manual :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

A 5 series is not a Luxobarge FFS...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭pah

Yikes! BMW for the dreamers thread. That's a 2k advert all day long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

the_syco wrote: »
    On the cheap tax too!

I've a 2008 Msport with similar miles and if I got anywhere near that I'd be overjoyed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-harrier-4x4-3-0-jeep-lexus/26707129

NmYyOWNmODMwNjQ3Njc2MWIwMjRmNTkzYTcyMjZiNjbldC1gMdXvZZTEobFruOx4aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjQ0MDk3OTB8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

ZTQwODg3OWVmMzlmNDJlNjY2NWVlM2IzNTJlMjcxNzX5j8i4FXQtD6u8WzejQ3VhaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjQ0MDk3OTF8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

ZjFkOTVmYzBlYWY4ZDcxMDVkYzhiMWZjYTllYjNhZjVIcfxTa8P010KRCACNFWsGaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjQ0MDk3OTR8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

ZjhiY2RlYjM5MzUwOGYwZDc3ZGY4M2MxNmIzZDZhZDDC6Fc7bAezJuQP_iKLSYGxaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjQ0MDk3OTZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

This looks really nice (the interior anyway)

Toyota badges. NCT'd, 1 owner etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Truckermal wrote: »
    A 5 series is not a Luxobarge FFS...

I would argue that a fully loaded one with at least 6 cylinders would fall in to consideration. A 4 pot on the other hand...

I would argue that a fully loaded one with at least 6 cylinders would fall in to consideration. A 4 pot on the other hand...

Argue all you want because it's not or never will be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

A M5 would qualify as luxury, but not as barge ... but in general ... 7-series is considered a luxobarge.

A 5-series, the same as an Audi A6, Mercedes E-class or VW Passat are just family sedans and estates. They are not barges and generally also not luxury.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,337 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Marlow wrote: »
    A M5 would qualify as luxury, but not as barge ... but in general ... 7-series is considered a luxobarge.

A 5-series, the same as an Audi A6, Mercedes E-class or VW Passat are just family sedans and wagons. They are not barges and generally also not luxury.

If you think, that it would be suitable as a chauffeur driven vehicle for the wealthy .. then you're on track for what this thread was started with in mind.

A 5-series is a taxi at best. Not your typical chauffeur car.

/M

Sedan? Seriously?
    Right lads we get it, the lowly 5 series doesn't qualify the boards guru's have spoken.
    A lexus the size of a matchbox does... You have been warned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

CoBo55 wrote: »
    A lexus the size of a matchbox does... You have been warned.

Nah .. would have to be a GS or LS in reality at the very minimum. I know, that it happens often enough, that stuff like an IS gets posted ... but it isn't a luxobarge.

And the price bracket on this thread used to be like a lot less than it is now. Should be much easier to find something big in the current price bracket than toys out of Captain Crunch :)

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Nah .. would have to be a GS or LS in reality at the very minimum. I know, that it happens often enough, that stuff like an IS gets posted ... but it isn't a luxobarge.

And the price bracket on this thread used to be like a lot less than it is now. Should be much easier to find something big in the current price bracket than toys out of Captain Crunch :)

/M

Absolutely, we're coming to that point where all the 2006/7 Celtic tiger boom time cars are coming into the 5 grand price range. Its barge season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Well then, hers's a 07 4L 740i that is cheaper (€4,400) than my previous link, and a lot less miles 87k(140km).

Only issue would be the "was parked up for a while" and "only 5k km done in 2 years" so would be fearful of what'd need to be changed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I was trying to figure out what's going on with that 740i, it looks like a Sport model but it's not. It doesn't have a sport steering wheel or seats, nor are they Sport alloys. Then if you look closer the 740 lettering on the back is all over the shop, something odd there. And i can't be sure, but i'd guess all the chrome on the car has been plastidipped or wrapped. Fair price all the same if the mileage checks out, but i'd be investigating the above.

• Advertisement

That 740 used to belong to my neighbour (up the road a bit) until a few months ago. It was a totally standard car then, no tints, still had chrome everywhere etc. Always gleaming, seemed a very sensible owner.

IMO looked far classier then than it does now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

pah wrote: »
    Yikes! BMW for the dreamers thread. That's a 2k advert all day long.

Mate of mine sold his beautiful looking 2007 520D about 8 months ago and was lucky to get 2500. Sure the tax band is different but it was an Automatic M Sport. That lad will be sitting on that car for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

5k for an 08 manual laois reg 520d se with 128k miles on the clock? Lol! Also no way is a five series a barge.

That 520d develops the chain issue and it's not far from a right off, because private sale, you are getting less than 3k in my opinion...

CoBo55 wrote: »
    ........ the boards guru's have spoken............

Some of the responses were very high horsey, not to worry :)

Being a barge is all about perspective. The current 5 Series is only 2.5cm shorter than a W116 Mercedes. It's the same width and the BMW is actually taller. But I'd call a W116 a barge all day and never the 5 series.

For some reason I'd regard a Lexus GS as a candidate, but even then it's basically the same size as a 5 series.

• Advertisement

KevRossi wrote: »
    Being a barge is all about perspective. The current 5 Series is only 2.5cm shorter than a W116 Mercedes. It's the same width and the BMW is actually taller. But I'd call a W116 a barge all day and never the 5 series.

For some reason I'd regard a Lexus GS as a candidate, but even then it's basically the same size as a 5 series.

its a weird market segment one. I think if the 5 and the E's smallest engine was a lively 3 litre 6 banger then we may regard the same. The GS managed to keep itself on a higher shelf by having the larger engine and no manual option and not every young lad in the country having one (Ala e60 520d)

If somebody however posted a fully loaded e500 or 535i here I don't think id complain as theres few other threads here they belong in, but in general we'd be best off keeping 5's and E's out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,337 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Unfollowed...

2003 S500L. looks honest enough but no price given. Decent spec also with electric rear seats. Could be nice with a valet and tidy up.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/merc-s500l-hugh-spec-limo-model/26261504?campaign=3

traco wrote: »
    2003 S500L. looks honest enough but no price given. Decent spec also with electric rear seats. Could be nice with a valet and tidy up.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/merc-s500l-hugh-spec-limo-model/26261504?campaign=3

such a strange car. Its a last of run old model car as they were facelifted in 03, but its strange as LWB and power rear seats but no navigation which was standard in the UK for 02-03 on the s500 , the top button array is missing a few bits. Definitely seems like an embassy order , comfy back seats, quick getaway engine but no driver comforts or options.

Hard to know with it. With the reg number could it be an import? An android head unit would tansform it. I did it on the 280 with a USD100 unit from china and 20 of carbon look vinyl warp as an experiment. I know teh carbon wrap is a punishable offence but it really improved the interior feel made it a lot more modern. Transformed the user experience of the car way more than the investemnt woould suggest.

49327614542_5c27353d9f_c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

traco wrote: »

I would take so much joy from cleaning the grime off the seats and plastics in that car. Looks pretty filthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭crazyjim

KevRossi wrote: »

I had a feeling the 5 Series was growing. I've seen people wrestling to fit them in like you used to with a W126. It looks like there's a lot of car in front to the front wheels somehow. I don't bother trying to park next to them in a tight car park like Swan Rathmines.

I think 2011 onwards large engine 5 Series are barge-ish and not affordable to a many drivers of older 5 series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

On the contrary, 5 series are considerabley cheaper than they used to be before the VRT changes a decade ago.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-gs-300/26714163

OTE0ZWZjYWYzOGYzZmJmYTFmOWE1Nzg5YzIyNjg2ZmGSI44O6TX1F5AOLW_LdDfgaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjQ0ODU3MTB8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Tidy looking Mk1 GS300 with NCT til next year and 1 previous owner

Needs a bit of de-skangering, but could be a nice buy for €3k if this is your sort of thing

that grille, the exhaust, the wheels, jaysus thats carnage.

• Advertisement

I think the wheels are actually GS300 sport wheels

lxgs300_750_500_70.jpg

I think the wheels are actually GS300 sport wheels

lxgs300_750_500_70.jpg

if a set of centre caps and a grille badge are all thats missing from that to bring it back to factory then it could be a solid investment, that said I think its a victim of that terrible period in the 90s where modified cars or 'sporty' looking ones aged horribly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-gs-300/26714163

OTE0ZWZjYWYzOGYzZmJmYTFmOWE1Nzg5YzIyNjg2ZmGSI44O6TX1F5AOLW_LdDfgaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjQ0ODU3MTB8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Tidy looking Mk1 GS300 with NCT til next year and 1 previous owner

Needs a bit of de-skangering, but could be a nice buy for €3k if this is your sort of thing

I'm open to correction here but is 3500 not absolutely stupid money for that? I was thinking a third of that would be about right. :confused:

Who posted the 520D?

Please come back all is forgiven......:P

I'm open to correction here but is 3500 not absolutely stupid money for that? I was thinking a third of that would be about right. :confused:

Not really, like Eric was saying...if all it needed was the few small bits he mentions, it would be a very solid investment

Not really, like Eric was saying...if all it needed was the few small bits he mentions, it would be a very solid investment

if its a factory sport, I know the mk2 came with a 3 spoke wheel with shifters on the wheel, not sure on the mk1 , that exhaust is some 'mad lad' idea though.

Its got the spoiler, its got the wheels, its got the gold badges, grille too minus the badge (I'd imagine its a sport grille that has been debadged? awful anyway)

An exhaust, some correctly sized tyres and a set of centre caps would transform it IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Not really at all imo.

Its about 5 years off vintage tax. The body looks straight and clean. And since it's tested it must be pretty alright underneath.

Non vvti 2jzge are worth a bit too since they have the strong rods.

Gen1 gs300s are really quite scarce these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Not really at all imo.

Its about 5 years off vintage tax. The body looks straight and clean. And since it's tested it must be pretty alright underneath.

Non vvti 2jzge are worth a bit too since they have the strong rods.

Gen1 gs300s are really quite scarce these days.

5 years off vintage tax sounds great but walk into the tax office today and they'll still want almost 1500 quid for the year. And the nct has 3 months left. I'm going to stick with my gut on this. He'll not get anywhere near the current asking price. Its mental imo.

• Advertisement

I doubt that GS has been treated with kid gloves the past couple of years. I really like them, but surely you're better off getting an early 91-92 one from Japan or the UK in good condition. Any extra costs involved in getting it here can be offset by saving a few quid on the tax.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement