Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,525 ✭✭✭✭Esel

galwaytt wrote: »
    indeed - if that's a maybe, this should be a shoe-in for this thread... http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/peugeot-607-2-9-v6-auto/4039674
    I thought a valid NCT was necessary for this thread though?

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

kev1.3s wrote: »
    I think that odonohues in enniscorthy had one of those for sale that had never been registered.

Heard It's lying there rotting still.
    Apparently 50 k to get it on the road, and it'd have a 132 plate! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Esel wrote: »
    De look, or de feel? Do dey has de lumbar support?

Don't know but from what I've heard they're very very comfy.
    The leather seats in the gt are meant to be comfier though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

03 A8 on gumtree cork for 4950$(KGrHqN,!lEFJoGt)M4rBSc1WkiYk!~~48_35.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,747 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Linky missing, ofcork :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

That's the 3.7l. I would hold out for a 4.2l. More of them about, same to tax / insure but a lot quicker and more and earlier torque. Good find all the same :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

That GTA Most certainly wasnt the only one in Ireland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

unkel wrote: »
    That's the 3.7l. I would hold out for a 4.2l. More of them about, same to tax / insure but a lot quicker and more and earlier torque. Good find all the same :)

Serious car for the money shame about the tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

The 3.7 is probably the pick due to the chocolate gearboxes. Less torque and power is a good thing not a bad thing:pac:

• Advertisement

lomb wrote: »
    Less torque and power is a good thing not a bad thing:pac:

Maybe in your book, but not in mine :p

And certainly not if I were paying max tax!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

lomb wrote: »
    The 3.7 is probably the pick due to the chocolate gearboxes. Less torque and power is a good thing not a bad thing:pac:

Gearboxes are pretty decent in the D3 models, certainly nowhere like the shambles of 'boxes in the previous D2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Who manufactured the chocoboxes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Milk Tray!?! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Milk Tray!?! :D

Because the lady loves Milk Tray!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

The chocolate gearbox phrase only comes up on here when mentioning that gear box in particular :confused:

The chocolate gearbox phrase only comes up on here when mentioning that gear box in particular :confused:

Perhaps it's a case of internet forum acquired wisdom :)

I've no idea myself about the gearboxes used in Audi A8, but I expected them to be ZF boxes, like many BMW and Mercedes cars use?

yeah, wasn't a slight on the forum. Just amusing if describing the audi gear boxes for that car, no other word is ever used except chocolate. Ive now started to see the car with actual chocolate gear sticks etc etc

Quick Google reveals they are ZFs in the D3 range. Strange for them to give so much bother, if true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Quick Google reveals they are ZFs in the D3 range. Strange for them to give so much bother, if true.

According to wiki:

6HP26A

Four-wheel drive version used in Audi, Volkswagen Passenger Cars and Bentley marques of the Volkswagen Group:

So explains why it's reliable in case of BMW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

daRobot wrote: »
    Gearboxes are pretty decent in the D3 models, certainly nowhere like the shambles of 'boxes in the previous D2.

Also ZF's but an earlier version.. but same'ish as in the E38. Theory is that the AWD drivetrain puts more strain on the gearbox and/or Audi's aggressive shifting algorithm and final drive is somewhat crappy.

My S8 had 3 gearboxes in 190k miles, its quite commonly bad, not just hearsay.

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Also ZF's but an earlier version.. but same'ish as in the E38. Theory is that the AWD drivetrain puts more strain on the gearbox and/or Audi's aggressive shifting algorithm and final drive is somewhat crappy.

Yep, I've seen that point mentioned quite a few times. A8 parts forum is one of the places, that highlights just how commonplace it is.

So from a reliability proposition, the 2.8 FWD A8 is the one to get from the pre 2003 models.

just to emphasise my original point. I wasn't disputing whether the A8 has a **** gear box or not, I was just referring to the word "chocolate" that has been used many times for this car

daRobot wrote: »
    the 2.8 FWD A8 is the one to get from the pre 2003 models.

2.8 FWD? Meh ;)

*takes older A8 off shortlist of cars to own*

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭JohnxF

Matt Simis wrote: »

Matt, do you know if those gearboxes were replaced at owner expense of if Audi contributed? It would be an expensive car to own if you had to budget for a new gearbox every so often.

I'd be with Unkel. If you can only count on the 2.8 FWD version, there's no point in having an A8.

JohnxF wrote: »
    Matt, do you know if those gearboxes were replaced at owner expense of if Audi contributed? It would be an expensive car to own if you had to budget for a new gearbox every so often.

I'd be with Unkel. If you can only count on the 2.8 FWD version, there's no point in having an A8.

Totally. Luxobarges need torque, either from a Diesel, or better, a v8/12.

Similarly, a 728i wouldn't float my boat either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I drove a 4.2 04 A8. Never drove anything with as much presence (Even over RRs, 300c etc.)

Beautiful.

I drove a 4.2 04 A8. Never drove anything with as much presence (Even over RRs, 300c etc.)

Beautiful.

Certainly a very fine car. Nice alternative to Mercedes S Class , completely different league to Chrysler 300c:)

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a8-3-7-v8-quattro/5939774

Has been here before, but now it's under budget.

Considering this myself, but just can't convince myself to pay 1800 to the Motor Tax Office :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Ninap

Sobanek wrote: »

Considering this myself, but just can't convince myself to pay 1800 to the Motor Tax Office :/

Yeah, but that's why it's the price it is..

I'll have to be drunk and make a drunk purchase, this way I won't be able to be mad at myself :D

Oooh, father is interested and wants to even throw in some cash for the tax :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

JohnxF wrote: »

Why would Audi contribute anything to a car over 10years old with nearly 200k miles on it!?
    I just bought a used gearbox for EUR500 and paid EUR250 to have it fitted. The car wasnt disabled with it as is, just very harsh at shifting.

I wouldnt consider a FWD/2.8 A8 at all, I would totally consider a proper one (with a V8) that shifts ok and just do regular fluid changes. If it breaks, its not the end of the world as parts readily available, even for the S8 which has different ratios (ie technically not the same box). Also bear in mind the S8 is more powerful and is tuned to shift harsher anyway, so its a worst case example.

My one had a bunch of penny pincher's owning it for the last 4years, no servicing at all, barely any Antifreeze in the coolant for example.

Does anyone in Ireland/UK offer rebuilds of ZF brains like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pyp9DHPKfHo

He paid only €500 for the full service, couldn't even perceive shifts after it was completed.

EDIT: Hmm, dunno if that's the right video, seems to be only the fluid change. There was one where the brain's valves/marbles were replaced.

What about the E65 735i?

I don't mind the looks as I actually got to quite like them. I'm a bigger fan of the facelift, but the pre-facelift isn't too bad either.

And then, for that kind of money, there's the Porsche Boxster :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

What about the E65 735i?

I don't mind the looks as I actually got to quite like them. I'm a bigger fan of the facelift, but the pre-facelift isn't too bad either.

And then, for that kind of money, there's the Porsche Boxster :D

There was only one problem with an e65 735i. And that is the 750i (or 760i)
    I couldn't pay top tax for a 735i knowing that there was the same car for the same tax but in 750i or 760i guise available.

FWIW I love the e65s, especially when in full on pimpmobile/gangster mode!:cool:

Oh and don't get a boxster.

• Advertisement

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/05-bmw-7-series-tax-02-14-nct-03-15/5915537

Bit above my 5k budget, but looks well specced, and it's the 745i :D

And why not the Boxster?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Does anyone in Ireland/UK offer rebuilds of ZF brains like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pyp9DHPKfHo

He paid only €500 for the full service, couldn't even perceive shifts after it was completed.

EDIT: Hmm, dunno if that's the right video, seems to be only the fluid change. There was one where the brain's valves/marbles were replaced.

Ya there is a crowd in Navan that do ZF gearbox overhauls.. Stealthyspeeder got one done somewhere a while back, ask him..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/05-bmw-7-series-tax-02-14-nct-03-15/5915537

And why not the Boxster?

Because you only buy a Boxster if you can't afford a 911 :pac:

Truckermal wrote: »
    Ya there is a crowd in Navan that do ZF gearbox overhauls.. Stealthyspeeder got one done somewhere a while back, ask him..

There is also a Transmission Centre who recondition Auto boxes in Naas Road D12 area. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

And if you can't afford the 911, you probably can't afford to service the Boxster either.

/M

• Advertisement

And why not the Boxster?

He might take 5 at a push. Plus it has that 4.4 v8, the right engine to have (other than the v12 of course), so at least it is the right engine for the car.

The boxster is a flat six hairdresser's car for wanabes. People who want a porsche because "it's cool" or to look flash, but haven't the first clue about cars. Because if they did they would buy a 911.

Similar to people who buy a 2.1 FWD x-type to have "a jag"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Because you only buy a Boxster if you can't afford a 911 :pac:
    That's my most hated car related line. It's so stupid it hurts! And I generally like JC

Truckermal wrote: »

Fantastic, thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

He might take 5 at a push. Plus it has that 4.4 v8, the right engine to have (other than the v12 of course), so at least it is the right engine for the car.

The boxster is a flat six hairdresser's car for wanabes. People who want a porsche because "it's cool" or to look flash, but haven't the first clue about cars. Because if they did they would buy a 911.

Similar to people who buy a 2.1 FWD x-type to have "a jag"

The Boxter is a proper bit of kit, and makes more sense to a lot of people than various 911 models which are often bought by people who want a bowel-evacuatingly expensive Porsche "because it's cool!". Also, while I am aware that some Jag purists are offended by the X-Type's "dieselness", "smallness", "front-wheel-drive-ness", etc. it's a fine car by any standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Cienciano wrote: »
    That's my most hated car related line. It's so stupid it hurts! And I generally like JC

Cliche alright but it's true.

I wouldn't be buying a Boxter if I could afford a Porsche, that's for sure.

I don't like the styling either, doesn't really "wow" me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Cliche alright but it's true.

I wouldn't be buying a Boxter if I could afford a Porsche, that's for sure.

I don't like the styling either, doesn't really "wow" me.
    It makes sense, but it applies to pretty much every car going, but for some reason it's only used when talking about the Boxter. There's always a better version.

jimgoose wrote: »
    The Boxter is a proper bit of kit, and makes more sense to a lot of people than various 911 models which are often bought by people who want a bowel-evacuatingly expensive Porsche "because it's cool!". Also, while I am aware that some Jag purists are offended by the X-Type's "dieselness", "smallness", "front-wheel-drive-ness", etc. it's a fine car by any standard.
    The boxster is not a fast car like a Porsche should be. The 911 is not (for the most part) bought by "keep up with the jones's" people, as the boxster does the same job but for cheaper. It (boxster) looks like a porsche but does not drive like one. I should know, I was considering one a while back and took a test drive in a 2.7.

The X Type has nothing that a Jag should have. Grace? No, Space? No, Pace? no (except the 2.5 or 3.0 models perhaps)

And I am sorry, but a 2.1 FWD mondeo in drag is not a Jaguar. A Draguar perhaps :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

The boxster is not a fast car like a Porsche should be. The 911 is not (for the most part) bought by "keep up with the jones's" people, as the boxster does the same job but for cheaper. It (boxster) looks like a porsche but does not drive like one. I should know, I was considering one a while back and took a test drive in a 2.7.

The Boxster is one of the best drivers car you can buy and if you buy the S it's far from slow. They have an incredibly balanced chassis. I really think the "Boxster is not a real Porsche" line is very silly.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

Personally, I'd hold out for a 4.2 A8 (330bhp), like this:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a8/5757883

I would be very surprised if he didn't take 4k.

The A8 (D3 Model) is a lot more reliable than the pre facelift 7 series (or the facelift for that matter), and the interior is a great place to be (especially at night)

h3000 wrote: »
    The Boxster is one of the best drivers car you can buy and if you buy the S it's far from slow. They have an incredibly balanced chassis. I really think the "Boxster is not a real Porsche" line is very silly.

As I mentioned I did not drive the S, I drove the 2.7.
    It is to Porsches what the X type is to Jags or what a 518d is to bmws. An entry level.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement