Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Less than a years tax in asking price. Type of car you could buy and if rural etc, or not much usage,let them seize it if you ever did get stopped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Less than a years tax in asking price. Type of car you could buy and if rural etc, or not much usage,let them seize it if you ever did get stopped

Sadly, brilliant cars are put on the scrap heap due to exorbitant tax rates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Padre_Pio wrote: »

The greenest thing our government could do with old cars is give them a reduced tax rate. Anything is greener than scraping good cars.
    15 years old - half tax
    30 years old - vintage tax as currently in place.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

mickdw wrote: »
    The greenest thing our government could do with old cars is give them a reduced tax rate. Anything is greener than scraping good cars.
    15 years old - half tax
    30 years old - vintage tax as currently in place.

I would give all cars on the old system (cc) the option to go on to the new (CO2) system if it is lower. Then apply a reducing rate until it gets to the €56, so there is not the huge change in 2008, nor at 30 years. That would stabilise the 2nd hand market, and stop the senseless scrapping and neglect of perfectly useable cars.

Perhaps only apply the reduction if the car is continuously taxed. Tax holidays mean a holiday for the discount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭slipperyox

Planned Obsolescence is the biggest CO2 emitter.

But the government enforce it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

slipperyox wrote: »
    Planned Obsolescence is the biggest CO2 emitter.

But the government enforce it.

The Motor Tax regime is anything but green. Perfectly good cars that are starved of proper maintenance because of the CC rates of motor tax, and also suffer horrendous depreciation for the same reason.

The whole system needs to be redrawn to tackle this problem. After all, the CC tax is now twelve years old and all the cars are down to scrap value or are worth more in parts - just because of the tax.

Luxobarges are a lot of car for not much money, and if the tax was scrapped or was sensible, then there would be very few less than five grand.

Personal opinion currently. Probably wouldn't touch most barges. RIP off tax on cc and dont rate the looks of them, the way I see it is I'd stick with what I have and go for something in a year or two, when you can get them.at reasonable tax and far better looking cars. Like facelift s class with Amg kit et . Personally I see no point being fleeced for something average looking and massive tax...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭KevRossi

crazyjim wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2005-mercedes-s350/26536805

OGM0NDBkYTUwOGNkNDQzZGM5ZWZiZTI3NTFiYTdhMWZPdSfhmjDMQRi7PK15mGi3aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjI1NDU0MjR8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

2005 S350 245km NCT Sep 2021 No tax

€1,650

Now down to €1,450

KevRossi wrote: »
    Now down to €1,450

Better off keeping it unless they have no need for it and dont have another car bought already...

It's like the issue I mention above, very little prestige, mad running costs what's the point...

• Advertisement

Those have dated badly but for an older person who wanted something to float around in, a good one of those would be hard to beat.
    A younger man would look silly in that imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Now down to €1,450
    I'm guessing they got a new car, and want some of the tax money back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Personal opinion currently. Probably wouldn't touch most barges. RIP off tax on cc and dont rate the looks of them, the way I see it is I'd stick with what I have and go for something in a year or two, when you can get them.at reasonable tax and far better looking cars. Like facelift s class with Amg kit et . Personally I see no point being fleeced for something average looking and massive tax...

What was the point of coming into a luxobarge thread and stating this? Its like walking into McDonalds and telling everyone you don't want their food! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

A younger man would look silly in that imo.

I’m 34 and already owned a W220, i’d happily buy another one. I couldn’t give a flip how I look driving them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I Was VB wrote: »
    I’m 34 and already owned a W220, i’d happily buy another one. I couldn’t give a flip how I look driving them.

Yeah I don't get the s class merc old man thing, Im 31 and my W221 is a fine barge for a 'young' lad :pac:

What was the point of coming into a luxobarge thread and stating this? Its like walking into McDonalds and telling everyone you don't want their food! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm all for for barges, just dont know if the 5k or thereabouts ones, make sense, with a ridiculous motor tax bill and looks which are now quite dated for the most part ...

Some people domt like changing theirs from original, but I have always changed the lights of my cars to facelift etc, if they weren't already...

• Advertisement

Yeah I don't get the s class merc old man thing, Im 31 and my W221 is a fine barge for a 'young' lad :pac:

W221 are a gorgeous shape, particularly in lwb. the w220 looks like it was two generations before it in my opinion. The cls are a gorgeous looking car , there are virtually non when you search for them now on donedeal etc, compared to even 2 or 3 years ago..

W221 are a gorgeous shape, particularly in lwb. the w220 looks like it was two generations before it in my opinion. The cls are a gorgeous looking car , there are virtually non when you search for them now on donedeal etc, compared to even 2 or 3 years ago..

I tend to agree, I think if the w140 had been culled in 1995 and the w220 came out then we'd see it in a lot better light, the w140 looked ancient next to the e38 7 series the w220 would have been a really cool car from 95-02. After that it looked a bit meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

I'm all for for barges, just dont know if the 5k or thereabouts ones, make sense, with a ridiculous motor tax bill and looks which are now quite dated for the most part ...

Some people domt like changing theirs from original, but I have always changed the lights of my cars to facelift etc, if they weren't already...

Blue Chips were considered the top-of-the-line luxobarge, zee crème de la crème. They were usually struggling young models and for a few thousand dollars they would do almost anything imaginable, either to you or to each other.

Next came the NASDAQs, who were one step down from the Blue Chips. They were priced between three and five hundred dollars and are a few years old but still command a good price!

Then came the Pink Sheet luxobarges, who were the lowest form of all, usually an old S class or the sort of low-class VW who showed up in response to a desperate late-night phone call to a number in Screw magazine or the yellow pages.

They usually cost a hundred dollars or less, and if you didn’t wear a condom, you’d get a penicillin shot the next day and then pray that your dick didn’t fall off.

;);););););):rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭kil

If its wrong to like that then I don't wanna be right. The Brabus Power Xtra 'adds 50bhp' apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

I'm not sure that your view will get much traction here.
    Lots of people like how they look without facelifting.
    I'm in my mid-30's and would happily drive any barges without fear of driving an "old mans car".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭traco

Nope and its 269,396 miles on the clock. Looking at interior pic it doesnt have heated seats so basic spec and if thats the case I wonder if the Brabis stuff is all aftermarket?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

All things considered that’s a pretty cheap W221

He’ll have every Ionuţ and Florin in the land hounding him for that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Price seems a bit saucy to me given the NCT is expired. One for the brave imo.

Id drive one too but some of them look very old man ish such as that beige one.
    Any other colour in them seems much fresher.
    Id say the same of the E class - some look only fit for pensioner and some are sporty depending on spec and colour.

Id drive one too but some of them look very old man ish such as that beige one.
    Any other colour in them seems much fresher.
    Id say the same of the E class - some look only fit for pensioner and some are sporty depending on spec and colour.

Honestly, the old man image of driving a 15+ year old merc is part of the attraction of driving one.

I was built for comfort not speed. Lol

bazz26 wrote: »
    Price seems a bit saucy to me given the NCT is expired. One for the brave imo.
    It looks nice, but no NCT as "this vehicle is registered as a SPSV", so I'm guessing it was used as a limo? A bit too flash to have been a taxi, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭woejus

Padre_Pio wrote: »

i recall reading somewhere that 99% of the lifetime pollution & resource consumption is in the initial manufacture of the vehicle. Almost every motor related policy in Ireland is to drive more PCP mobile sales.

woejus wrote: »
    i recall reading somewhere that 99% of the lifetime pollution & resource consumption is in the initial manufacture of the vehicle. Almost every motor related policy in Ireland is to drive more PCP mobile sales.

I think that may be a bit high and while its off topic I recall reading that 60% of a long range EV emissions for the first 100k miles are from the manufacturing process.

Anyway back on topic - have we had this jag? Only a V6 but looks lovely.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/jaguar-xj-series-3-0-v6-executive-immaculate/25643712

traco wrote: »

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/jaguar-xj-series-3-0-v6-executive-immaculate/25643712
    Nice looking one. As "this vehicle is registered as a SPSV" and the mileage isn't insane, I'm guessing it was used as a wedding limo? I do wonder how it can have an NCT if it's SPSV, unless that NCT was done very recently?

• Advertisement

Honestly, the old man image of driving a 15+ year old merc is part of the attraction of driving one.

I was built for comfort not speed. Lol

130492d1210589129-sport-comfort-mode-button-13042008176.jpg
    give that bad boy a flick to S and it might surprise you :pac:

130492d1210589129-sport-comfort-mode-button-13042008176.jpg
    give that bad boy a flick to S and it might surprise you :pac:

Don't need to switch it in mine, don't even need to kickdown. A gentle rapid squeeze of the go pedal is enough :D

the_syco wrote: »
    It looks nice, but no NCT as "this vehicle is registered as a SPSV", so I'm guessing it was used as a limo? A bit too flash to have been a taxi, IMO.

It was driven a a Limo in the Longford/Westmeath area from 2016-2019.

Replaced with a A6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭KevRossi

traco wrote: »

I posted it three months ago. Strange it hasn't sold with the long NCT. Colour isn't everyone's cuppa, but I like it.

I posted it three months ago. Strange it hasn't sold with the long NCT. Colour isn't everyone's cuppa, but I like it.

I have to agree - I think the colour is great on it.

Colour is lovely. Price is probably the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Fugly, big execs shouldn’t be skirted up. They look ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Andrew33 wrote: »
    Fugly, big execs shouldn’t be skirted up. They look ridiculous

Its like painting a white Nike logo on an expensive pair of leather shoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Horrible dealership name. Well priced cars.

That s class has no nct. Is that allowed that a dealer sells a non road worthy car?

• Advertisement

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    Horrible dealership name. Well priced cars.

That s class has no nct. Is that allowed that a dealer sells a non road worthy car?
    Of course, onus is on the driver to make sure vehicle is taxed, NCT’d and even beyond the NCT, is in a roadworthy condition. An NCT is only valid the moment it’s issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭crazyjim

Colour is lovely. Price is probably the issue.

Jag Barges always feel overpriced. Do they not seem to like high mileage or am I imagining. I don't think I ever saw a 300kms XJ Jag on this thread, but I assume the diesels ones do it ?

Jag Barges always feel overpriced. Do they not seem to like high mileage or am I imagining. I don't think I ever saw a 300kms XJ Jag on this thread, but I assume the diesels ones do it ?

Its a funny one. I dont think jag do themselves any favours.
    The dealers are mad expensive and they seem to be worse than other manufacturers in terms of not being able to get bits aftermarket. Result is poorly maintained older examples, cars getting scrapped too early for expensive to fix faults.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

An NCT is only valid the moment it’s issued.

An NCT is valid until it expires, but that doesn't mean the car is roadworthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,554 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Lurching wrote: »
    An NCT is valid until it expires, but that doesn't mean the car is roadworthy.

Valid after it expires too since the ol' Covid carry on.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭crazyjim

Of course, onus is on the driver to make sure vehicle is taxed, NCT’d and even beyond the NCT, is in a roadworthy condition. An NCT is only valid the moment it’s issued.

That wasn't the question. The question is about the obligation of a dealer in a sale. A dealer selling a car without an NCT is selling a car that is de-facto unroadworthy.

Jesuitical arguments like "the car can only be relied on to be roadworthy at the instant the NCT cert is printed" are cute but really have nothing to do with it.

• Advertisement

The test of roadworthiness is two fold.

1. The car has a valid NCT.

2. The car is roadworthy by having all legal requirement - such as tyres with adequate tread and condition, all the other parts of the car, like bakes and steering, suspension, are safe and work safely. A Gard will decide if necessary.

Not having an NCT is absolute evidence that the car is not roadworthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

That wasn't the question. The question is about the obligation of a dealer in a sale. A dealer selling a car without an NCT is selling a car that is de-facto unroadworthy.

Jesuitical arguments like "the car can only be relied on to be roadworthy at the instant the NCT cert is printed" are cute but really have nothing to do with it.

there is no legal requirement that a car sold by a dealer must have an NCT.

There’s no obligation on the dealer to sell a car with a valid NCT. End of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭Furzy

I think there is an obligation on the dealer not to sell a car that is dangerous to the buyer or general public when driven (unless the dealer makes it clear to the buyer that this danger exists). Whether or not the car has a valid NCT is irrelevant in this respect. Lack on an NCT means that a car does not comply with legal requirements if driven on a public road - I don’t agree that it makes that car unroadworthy.

Furzy wrote: »
    I don’t agree that it makes that car unroadworthy.

Totally agree. The lack of valid nct simlly means the vehicle can not be used on a PUBLIC road, it does NOT de facto mean the vehicle is unroadworthy as mentioned above.
    Conversely, a valid NCT does not de facto mean a vehicle IS roadworthy.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement